Welcome Guest!
 Indaba
Re: [Mwananchi] Coconuts Strike Again in Mali  Jupiter Punungwe
 Mar 25, 2012 02:23 PST
Prof

Dictators and imperialists are one side of the same coin as far as
people's freedom is concerned. They both deprive people of their
freedom, horde, steal or commandeer the people's resources for
themselves. They both neglect the people. And both groups still pose a
pertinent threat to Africa.

If your field is infested by weeds you do not drive cows into the field
in the hope that they will graze the weeds and leave the maize plants
alone. In Libya NATO drove cows into the maize field. Yes there was a
problem, but their 'solution' was not a solution but a worsening of the
problem. If your country has got a problem of dictatorship do not expect
imperialists to bring freedom. In most case they will just use the
invite to implement the divide and rule tactic.

In the case of Mali, yes Taureg rebels have been around for a long time
but they didn't have sophisticated weapons until NATO bombed open the
doors of Gadhafi's armouries.

You Prof Ayittey seems to focus on dictators not out of sincere concern
for the plight of the people, but in order to curry favour with the
imperialists.

For the record Gadhafi's jets never bombed Benghazi. Rather the bombed
rebels along the coastal road. In fact I should be asking you where were
you when NATO was bombing civilians in Sirte? The siege and destruction
that was visited upon Sirte was far much worse than what Gadhafi did or
could have done to Benghazi. The problem with you is that you choose to
have bipolar vision.

You talk about 'the people' being against this or that leader is if
people are one monolith. You do not seem to care that within those
people is actually a continuum of opinions ranging from one extreme to
the other. Encouraging one end of that continuum to fight the other
usually only helps weaken the entire community and allows outsider to
dictate terms to that community. It is called divide and rule. You seem
interested only in getting one extreme to violently fight the the other.

Jupiter

On 24/03/2012 20:24, George Ayittey wrote:

Jupiter,

Your fondness for hideous dictators and the status quo stinks to high
heaven. When these monsters are slaughtering their people, you say
NOTHING and hide in your rat-hole. But the moment the international
community takes action against them, you emerge out of your rat-hole,
waving a white flag and screaming hysterically “Bloody violence!”
“NEGOTIATE!”

Your bald-faced abhorrence of violence and preference for negotiation
speaks volumes about hypocrisy. Where were you when Khaddafi was
sending jet-fighters to bomb civilians in Benghazi? Yeah, you cared a
lot about those civilian deaths. Where were you when Laurent Gbagbo
was sending his Republican Guards to brutalize and slaughter
civilians? Was Khaddafi or Gbagbo willing to negotiate? Delegations
upon delegations of African statesmen went to Tripolic and Abidjan to
negotiate with them. What happened? Do you even negotiate with
murderous dictators such Basjar al-Assad? Their people spoke loud and
clear: They wanted these beasts OUT!

Now, we are being told NATO bombing caused the coup in Mali – as if
the Tuareg rebels suddenly emerged after the Libyan crisis. For your
information, the rebels have been active for decades. What next? That
the spike in armed robberies in Ghana and Nigeria is linked to NATO
bombing in Libya, causing returnees to bring their guns with them? The
rise in Boko Haram too is linked to NATO bombing too? Ridiculous.

The NATO bombing in Libya has now become your prism through which you
analyze all events in the Sahel? Clear out of here!

Your hoary attempt to pin the instability in Libya on NATO bombing is
scurrilously dishonest.It was the ARAB LEAGUE that called for a “No
Fly Zone” in Libya. It was the UNITED NATIONS which authorized it and
it was NATO which enforced it. Even QATAR sent logistical support –
uniforms, battle gear, etc. – to the Libyan rebels. Now after shedding
crocodile tears for civilian casualties, you want to single out NATO
for blame for ideological reasons. Your head needs to be examined.

George

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Jupiter Punungwe <punu-@gmail.com
<mailto:punu-@gmail.com>> wrote:

     Prof Ayittey

     I am not whining over Gadhafi but over the fate of millions of
     civilians in Libya and the region who have been plunged into the
     midst of serious instability all because of myopic NATO vision.
     They are totally unable to see beyond the range of their bombs.

     It seems you are totally unable to understand my viewpoint. From
     the very beginning my concerns have been about ordinary civilians
     who would be left at the mercy of loosely controlled armed young
     men, which is what always happens in most conflicts. You Professor
     Ayittey do not care about those ordinary Africans.

     Why are you also ignoring the fact that the crisis in Mali was
     directly precipitated by NATO-led destabilisation of Libya. Here
     is the chain of events 1) NATO bombed Gadhafi's 'command and
     control' structures leaving Gadhafi's armouries ungaurded. NATO
     also air-dropped weapons into the region without knowing who
     exactly they were dropping weapons to 2) Taureg rebels (and
     others) helped themselves to what they could of Gadhafi's guns
     leaving them better armed than the Malian army. 2) On realising
     that they were now outgunned, the Malian army turned against the
     government leading to the current coup.

     Now Prof if you fail to see the clear link between NATO actions
     and the Malian coup then you must have the vision of a mole. In
     short there is no way you can be critical of the Malian coup
     without being critical of the events - and players - that led
     directly to it. Unless of course you are a hypocrite.

     My position from the very beginning was that a negotiated solution
     should be sought to avoid instability in Libya. I didn't foresee
     that the instability in Libya would lead to instability in Mali
     (which it has). But now all of us can see it.

     My opposition to gratuitous violence such as that undertaken by
     NATO has got nothing to do with Gadhafi, but everything to do with
     knowing the effects of that violence on society. I lived my
     pre-teen and early years through Zimbabwe's Liberation War. I
     witnessed what war does to communities. I am therefore not as
     naive as you are about war.

     Jupiter

     On 24/03/2012 05:31, George Ayittey wrote:

     Jupiter,

     I am really FED UP with your constant whining over NATO bombing
     of Libya. Khaddafi is DEAD, get it? No amount of whining will
     bring him back. Don't give me this crap about "negotiations."
     Khaddafi was not interested, period. He could have saved himself;
     could have done what Ben Ali did. But he didn't. Tell us the way
     FORWARD in Libya.

     We have a new crisis in Mali. Whining over NATO bombing solves
     nothing. In the struggle for freedom in Africa, you lead, follow
     or clear the hell out of the way.

     George

     On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Jupiter Punungwe
     <punu-@gmail.com <mailto:punu-@gmail.com>> wrote:

         What you forget to mention is that this was precipitated by
         the actions of NATO coconuts in Libya.

         On 23 March 2012 06:26, George Ayittey <ayit-@gmail.com
         <mailto:ayit-@gmail.com>> wrote:

             Huge setback for democracy in Mali as military coconuts
             take over. They can’t battle rebels; they FLED. Yet, they
             want to rule.

             We are FED UP with these military vagabonds, who have
             ruined country after country in West Africa. They did a
             number on Nigeria.

             Mali is land-locked and all ECOWAS countries should close
             their borders to Mali. ECOWAS should send ECOMOG troops
             to dislodge them coconuts from power and restore
             President Toure.

             Head of the civil servants association should call for an
             immediate CIVIL SERVICE STRIKE and demand the restoration
             of Prez Toure.

             Shut down the civil service and any military junta will
             collapse. Not enough soldiers to run the civil service.

             Civil service strike in 1978 brought down the military
             regime of Col Acheampong in Ghana; another in 1979
             brought down that of Lt.Gen Akuffo.

             A civil service strike in 1989 in Benin paralyzed the
             government, collapsed the banking system, forced Marxist
             military dictator, Matthieu Kerekou, to renounce Marxism
             and call for a national conference, which forced Kérékou
             to release political prisoners and arrange and lose 1991
             elections.

         --
         join with a Yahoo ID

     __._,_.___

     Join us at Mwananchi an African Forum at
     http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/mwananchi

     Mwananchi is now on facebook join us at
     http://www.facebook.com/groups.php#/group.php?gid=61997445929
     This online initiative is part of an ongoing dialogue among
     Africans about how to address the challenges facing the continent.

     Change settings via the Web
     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mwananchi/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdmp2YWVjBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzI0OTg4NjIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NDQ0NTk1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEzMzI1NTk4OTA->
     (Yahoo! ID required)
     Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
     <mailto:Mwananch-@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
     | Switch to Fully Featured
     <mailto:Mwananchi-f-@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Fully%20Featured>

     Visit Your Group