Welcome Guest!
 Indigenous News
International Gathering (event)  andre cramblit
 Jan 28, 2008 09:28 PST

Traditional Leaders, Elders, and Youth, from all over North America will
be coming to hold their 32nd Traditional Elders and Youth Gathering on
your sacred grounds at Bear River. The Tribal Council of the Lac du
Flambeau Band has approved this gathering and the Lac du Flambeau Band
Members will be the host of a GRAND COUNCIL GATHERING

This gathering will consist of Mayan, Seminole, Navaho, Pueblo, Sioux,
Onondagas, Ho-chunk, Alaskan, and just about every Nation will be
present from Islands and across borders. Nation’s will be sending their
spiritual leaders and youth from every where in Indian Country. The
Canadian Ojibwa Grand Chief “Francis Cavanaugh”, as well as other Ojibwa
Bands, Clan mothers, “Orin Lyons” of the Onondagas, tribal people from
British Columbia and many, many more Nations representative will be
coming here to speak and visit our beautiful people and lands and share
in our Ojibwa culture as well as share their own

This gathering will have people flying and driving in, about three or
four days prior to, the Sunrise Ceremony on Friday, July 25, 2008. By
sunrise ceremony the Lac du Flambeau Spiritual Leaders and Drum (Heart
of this band) will begin this sacred fire, with the ashes from 31 other
sacred fires consisting of prayers from all over Indian Country. Here is
where our leaders will welcome these Nations to the Sacred Grounds. We
will pray for this gathering to produce strong thoughts and
communications with good hearts and minds connected as one, Nation to
Nation. Indigenous People from all over Indian Country are welcome.

We have 21 tee-pees that will need to be erected, sweat lodges will be
built, and a sacred fire arbor will be built, and our cook shack will
need to be prepared. We will need water at Bear River. Rocks will have
to be gathered, wood chopped, please save some wild rice, walleye, deer
meat, pick wild berries, strawberries, and prepare for our traditional
meal. Plan on making some items for give away for all our helpers and
people who come from across the Oceans and from across the borders. We
will need members to call with available room for the elderly and others
who cannot camp. These elders love to share your hospitality. We may be
hosting 250 people or more as this will be the first invite for the
peoples of the Great Lakes. We invite the Potawatomi, Oneida, Menominee,
the Algonquin Nation, and welcome them here.

There will be two refrigerated semi truck trailers of food that will be
delivered, the first on Wednesday, July 23, 2008, and the second,
Saturday, July 26, 2008. Many strong traditional leaders will be
available early to put up tee-pees and erect the arbor, build sweat
lodges, and we will need others to volunteer of the band.

The Youth of this Band will come together to participate with the Youth
of many Nations. They will eventually break off from the Elders and come
back to the circle to bring their messages to the Elders. During the day
and evening the Ojibwa will share their culture with all Nations. Offers
from our Band members have been made to share spearing, songs and dance,
Strawberry Island is important to this band, decoys, kayak and many more
cultural events can be prepared for and planned. Keep in mind other
Nations will be sharing there ceremonies.

We will be having a Tribal Committee Gathering Meeting on February 7,
2008 at the Lac du Flambeau Domestic Abuse Program. This meeting will
begin at 6:00 pm and it is potluck. Those of you that have committed to
help I hope will be present those of you Tribal members who are
interested in helping please come so we may be prepared to welcome and
provide a well coordinated Gathering for 2008. If you have any questions
call Julienne Cross at (715) 588-7660.