Welcome Guest!
 InventorEd-L
RE: (InvEd-L)  Ian White
 Mar 04, 2003 14:33 PST

 after I was flipping through an in-flight magazine and there was my damn
invention. I tried to find out who held the patent on it and who was
manufacturing the product, but no luck. Not sure if you've seen it, but
it's a device to stop snorers from snoring. A little ring that clips
into the nostrils. Sells for quite a bit. Wish I'd been a little
smarter about it.   Would've thought I'd learned my lesson too...

The odds are VERY HIGH you saw the invention FIRST but weren't paying
attention then when you encountered the problem the "idea" just came to
you
out of nowhere. (The only problem with that invention is it's all sales
promise and only very rarely any successful delivery. I strongly
recommend
folks stay away from such "inventions.")

You could be right if not for the brainstorming sessions that preceded
the concept development.
I felt like inventing something, but I didn't know what. My Dad snored
and I knew it was a big problem for a lot of people. My mother once
mentioned she tried to plug his nose with toothpaste in a desperate
attempt to silence the noise he was making. This got me to thinking
about whether there might be any rationale behind plugging the nose.
Being a Biologist I then applied what I knew about the nose, nostril,
septum, airways, soft pallet, (and the placebo effect!) etc and took to
brainstorming. After a few unlikely ideas I came across my definitive
design. I then contacted the company I mentioned in the previous post
and the rest is history.
Someone had to invent it, why not me?
Cheers,
Ian.