Welcome Guest!
 LUA E-News
Kim Charlson Inducted Into Massachusetts Hall of Fame  Patricia Price
 Jun 04, 2004 12:58 PDT

KIM CHARLSON INDUCTED TO MASSACHUSETTS LIBRARY ASSOCIATION HALL OF FAME

Kim Charlson of the Braille & Talking Book Library, located on the
campus of
the Perkins School for the Blind in Watertown, was inducted to the
Massachusetts Library Association Hall of Fame On April 30, 2004, in a
ceremony at the Association's Annual Conference at the Sea Crest
Conference
Center in Falmouth, Massachusetts. Ms. Charlson and two others join a
prestigious group of 14 outstanding contributors to Massachusetts
libraries.

            Every two years since 1996, the Massachusetts Library
Association Hall of Fame inducts new members who have made a
substantial,
sustained contribution to advancing the cause of Massachusetts libraries
and/or librarianship over a career of at least ten years. This year
three
librarians were inducted.
Joining Ms. Charlson were Louise Brown, recently retired from the
Wayland
Public Library, and Marjorie Judd of Middleborough Public Library.

            "The Massachusetts Library Association wants to recognize
the
exceptional contributions of today's inductees," said MLA President,
Barbara
Flaherty, Director of the Billerica Public Library. "Recognition by the
state's professional association says much about the respect and
gratitude
that those working in libraries feel toward the recipients."

During the nomination process, MLA members recalled Ms. Charlson's
tireless
efforts in working with Massachusetts libraries and librarians in
providing
consultation and technical assistance on how they can become more
accessible
- not just through physical accessibility with ramps and handicapped
parking
spaces, but with programmatic access including outreach, website
accessibility, adaptive technology, accessible collections, and staff
training on disability sensitivity and awareness.

Ms. Charlson serves on a number of committees for the Library of
Congress/National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped
and is the chair of the Braille Authority of North America, the
standard-setting body for
Braille in the United States and Canada.   She is chair of the
Massachusetts
Braille
Literacy Advisory Council, former treasurer of the International Council
on
English Braille, and was appointed by the Governor to serve on the
Governor's Advisory Council on Disability Policy.

The three inductees were selected from a field of 13 nominated in late
2003
by their peers. Evaluation of nominations and recommendations for
induction
were made by the MLA Public Relations Committee and approved by the MLA
Executive Board in March 2004.

The Massachusetts Library Association includes 800 members. MLA
advocates
for libraries, librarians, and library staff, defends intellectual
freedom
and provides a forum for leadership, networking, communication, and
professional development to keep libraries vital.

www.masslib.org

*****
Kimís E-Mail Response To Friends & Colleagues

I want to say "thank you" to everyone who sent such wonderful messages
of
congratulations. I really appreciate hearing from all of you ... and
receiving the acknowledgement of my professional colleagues in the field
of
library science was truly a memorable experience. It also validated for
me,
and I hope for the people I have committed my career to serve, that
access
to information in whatever format or for whatever reason, whether it be
due
to a disability or not, is just as valid a need as any other. It's so
exciting to be on the cutting edge of so many mainstream initiatives
that
will bring access to information to people who are blind or can't read
print
because of their disability. My mother always told me that people get
recognized and inducted into the hall of fame when they are old and have
finished their career. Well, I definitely am not that old, and I plan on
continuing to work for access to information and the printed word for a
long
time to come <smile>

Thanks again for your kind words and let's all keep working on access to
information and libraries together.

Kim Charlson
kimcha-@earthlink.net