Welcome Guest!
 LoveSexyDC
LoveSexyDC Weekly Update  Kathy Jentz
 Oct 08, 2004 13:16 PDT

Hi all you "Purple Hippies"!

THIS Sunday is our October event!!! Monday will be Columbus Day which
many of you have off work - so come early & arty lae with us. More
details below...

Our raffle prize for the October 10 party will be One
Month of Unlimited Classes FREE at the ADVANCE Martial Arts Studio near
White Flint Mall.

Fellow LoveSexyDC member Melody says, "We are a professional, full
service school. We teach adults, children and families in a positive,
friendly environment." More info on Tae Kwon Do and Melody's studio at:
<http://www.advancemartialarts.com/>.

Sounds like some real fun for the "True Funk Soldiers" :-)

Party details & more news below...
- Kathy

LoveSexyDC October Party Details

Party theme:  Prince vs. Everybody - Part 2

Date: Sunday, October 10th 2004 (Colubus Day Weekend)

Time: 8:00 PM, lasts until 2:00 AM (new hours)

Location: Modern, 3287 M St., NW, Georgetown, Washington DC

Cost: $7

Valid Picture ID Required
Must be 21 to enter

Dress: Stylish & Sexy (no athletic gear please)

Music: DJDredd on the turntables

Special Features:
LoveSexyDC free raffle for Tae Kwon Do lessons at ADVANCE Martials Arts
<http://www.advancemartialarts.com/> and other amazingly Prince-ly
prizes..

Be Sure to Ask the Bartenders about the Prince-ly Drink Specials

Future LoveSexyDC Party Dates @ Modern

NOTE: NEW HOURS - we will no longer start at 7:00 PM and on holiday
weekends we will stay open until 2:00 AM.

Nov. 14th-2nd Sunday (8 pm -1 am)
"pop life"-featuring top pop hits from prince and from other
artists (culture club, eurythmics, etc.)

Dec. 12th-2nd Sunday (8 pm -1am)
"funk ball"-paying tribute to funk legends (james brown, sly,
pfunk, cameo, zapp, etc.)

Jan. 16th-MLK Weekend (8 pm -2 am)
prince vs outkast ii

Feb. 20th-Presidents Day Weekend(8 pm-2am)
prince vs madonna iii

All dates feature the fabulous stylings of DJDredd and are at Modern in
Georgetown.

LoveSexyDC Fundraiser

We still have a few purple LoveSexyDC CD cases left as well as the "Turn

It Up 2.0" and "Days of Wild" Uptown books - email me or see me know at
laser-@aol.com, if you are interested in purchasing them.

----------------------------------------------------------HouseQuake.com
Back
fwd from: JayMerry

Good News!

Housequake & the Prince/NPGMC Lawfirm DWT, has found an agreement with
each other, and things will be as it ever was on Housequake.com very
soon. Ofcourse without the bootleg Trading activities and without any
illegal photo's posted from Prince's latest Tour. So expect everything
to be as normal. And maybe something real cool will happen here in the
furture. So hold on to your wigs!

But most of all our deepest respect to all of you here
defending/protecting us wherever & whenever they could. And that is a
really really cool & pleasant thing, to find out you are not alone.

The Housequake team

Cinnamon Girl Video Article from Baltimore Sun
From: 777 Update

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/bal-
to.bsohold02oct02,1,403647.story?coll=bal-features-headlines

By ERIC R. DANTON
Hartford Courant
Originally published October 2, 2004
It's a chilling social statement from a musician better known for
talking sexy: Prince's video for the song "Cinnamon Girl" depicts an
Arab-American girl detonating herself in a crowded airport terminal
on what looks like U.S. soil.
Featuring Keisha Castle-Hughes from the movie Whale Rider, the four-
minute clip opens in a stylized urban schoolyard, rendered in pen-
and-ink and stylized gray watercolors drawn by artist Greg Ruth. A
group of teen girls reacts with horror to the whining roar of jet
engines that fades into the opening notes of the song. When it
becomes clear who's responsible for what we presume is a Sept. 11-
style terrorist attack, classmates of Castle-Hughes' character
torment her for her ethnicity, and she flees for home, only to find
her parents covering over the Arabic script on the sign outside the
family store. Someone has scrawled "terrorist scum" on one of the
store's windows.

"Cinnamon girl mixed heritage/Never knew the meaning of color
lines," Prince sings. "9/11 turned that all around/When she got
accused of this crime."

Intercut with straightforward scenes of the singer and his band
playing on a blasted, war-torn landscape, the video shows Castle-
Hughes donning traditional dress and headscarf and videotaping what
appears to be a statement of martyrdom. In the next scene, she's
back in Western garb and arriving at the airport. Perhaps for
emphasis, the camera lingers on the U.S. passport she shows to
airport officials.

Then she's standing in the terminal with a detonator in her hand.
She closes her eyes and presses down on the red button with both
hands. The perspective shifts outdoors as flames rip through the
glass-paneled front wall.

It's only for a moment, though, and then the scene reverses itself
to the moment just before Castle-Hughes hits the button. Is it a
fantasy?

Prince isn't saying, according to his publicist, Ronnie Lippin.

The video's director, Phil Harder, offered a few details in a phone
interview Thursday.

"It began with just talking to Prince about the current political
situation in our world today, and I really mean in our world, not
just our country," said Harder, 42. "And this long conversation
really sparked this idea with a sentence. He said, 'As long as
people keep labeling other people as terrorists, it seems like we'll
always have terrorists.'"

The video is Castle-Hughes' first project since Whale Rider in 2002.
Harder said the New Zealand resident, who is part Maori, was perfect
for the role because of her expressive face.

"When you do a music video, it's kind of like making a silent film.
There's no dialogue," he said. Harder said the video is "definitely
not literal," but he prefers to leave the ending open to
interpretation to spark dialogue.

"That's what Prince was really interested in, ... getting people to
talk about these issues," Harder said. "I sort of interpret it - and
this is just one interpretation - like, how far can the imagination
go when your whole world is constant violence when you're that
young? It's definitely not literal. The whole point is getting
people to talk about it."

The video is available online for now on Prince's paid fan-club Web
site, http://www.npgmusicclub.com/, and at AOL Music. VH1 plans to
screen
the clip Monday at a weekly meeting held to determine which videos
the music channel will add, a spokeswoman said. MTV wasn't sure
whether the video had been submitted, but a spokesman said it also
wouldn't review it until next week.

Eric R. Danton is rock critic for The Hartford Courant, a Tribune
Publishing newspaper

Looking to Promote Your Business to Fellow LoveSexyDC Members?

We are looking for local area businesses to donate raffle prizes for our
parties. If you own or promote an area business, this is an ideal way to
gain publicity for a very small investment. (Samples: if you own a
retail store, donate a $25 gift certificate; if you promote an event,
donate 2 tickets; etc.) We will promote your prize donations in our
advance publicity as well as at the event itself.
   If you are interested in donating raffle prizes, please contact me at
Laser-@aol.com.

Prince Video Article in WP Express
From: Myabocca

Hey you may want to pick up a copy of the Express today (Wed. 10/6) they
have an article on Prince and the C. Girl video.

Angela

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/express/pdfs/EXPRESS_10062004.pdf
page 19 (Bonus Related Artist item: Carmen Electra on page 26)

Get Out of this House This Weekend
from Djdredd

Friday @ Aroma
DJ Dredd plays Hip Hop, Funk, Dance Classics and Reggae
3417 Connecticut Ave NW (Cleveland Park)
10pm-until
No cover
$2

Sunday Night @ Modern
Lovesexy DC & DJ Dredd Presents:
Prince vs Everybody II
DJ Dredd will spin music by:
Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khahn, Lenny Kravitz
Bjork, Rick James, MJ, 80’s Artists, James Brown,
Hip-Hop Artists, Prince & Many More!
8pm-2am
$7 Cover
Drink Specials & Giveaways!
Dress Code:  Sexy
Modern
3287 M Street NW (Georgetown)

www.djdredd.com

Musicology News Links

Madonna Tops Field For Billboard Touring Honors
Billboard - USA
... York's Madison Square Garden). Other contenders for top tour are
Prince's Musicology and Shania Twain's Up. Among other finalists ...
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000662201

If this was forwarded to you and you are not a LoveSexyDC member, you
can subscribe to our FREE weekly enewsletter by sending a blank email
to: LoveSexyDC-@topica.com.