Welcome Guest!
 German Aircraft
Re: Bad Overclaiming in the Luftwaffe  Cody Durnberger
 Aug 08, 2005 09:16 PDT
I know my dad much preferred the 17 to the 24. I also read that a lot of POW's were convinced they'd have made it home if they'd been in a B-17 instead of a B-24.

tdavi-@aol.com wrote:Woodrow,

No argument about an attacking fighter taking the heavily armed B-17 & B-24 taking them lightly. The only comment I would make, is that there was a distinction made in some ranks of the Luftwaffe, that the B-24's were easier to knock down. An 8th AF pilot, who flew B-17's with the 91st BG, 401st sqn, told me of a fellow pilot (Sam Newton of "Serenade to a Big Bird" by Bert Styles, who was Sam's co-pilot) who was quite a jokester, who would find out if there were any B-24 groups flying on an upcoming mission, and if there were, he would find out if they would lead or trail the 91st BG, and depending, would write on his or someone else's B-17 that was painted olive drab, would chalk on "B-24 -> or B-24 <-." My friend said Sam did that thinking the Germans would go after the B-24's and leave them alone. He also said, no one ever believed any German fighter pilot could see the chalked message, and, if they did, would ignore it. Any way, there was the belief in the 91st BG, that B-24's
did not hold up as well as the B-17. (By the way, i met Sam Newton at a 91st BGMA reunion, and when the story was retold, he just smiled broadly).

Tom