Welcome Guest!
 SWMoms
My gift to you!!  Dr. Ronald E. Milliman
 Dec 24, 2007 09:11 PST

My gift to each of you!

I thank each of you who took the time out of your very busy schedules to
fill out my survey dealing with children's toys. If you haven't done that
yet, please do. Here is the link:

http://atech.wku.edu/phpESP/public/survey.php?name=Purchasing_copy

Since the survey is completely anonymous, I have no way of knowing who
completed it, and so, the best I can do is, in this way, share this gift
with you.

Rather than just saying Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you,
instead, I am going to give each of you a gift to express how much I
appreciate your taking the time to complete my survey and helping me out.
It is a gift you can take with you wherever you go for the rest of your
lives. It is a gift that you can, in turn, share with others. Just
remember, it is from the old Professor: Ron! <Smile>

*****

HOT CHOCOLATE

A group of graduates, well established in their careers,
were talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university
professor, now retired.

During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints
about stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests hot chocolate,
the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a large pot of hot
chocolate and an assortment of cups - porcelain, glass, crystal, some plain
looking, some expensive, some exquisite -
telling them to help themselves to the hot chocolate.

When they all had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor said:
"Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken, leaving
behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only
the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress.

The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the hot
chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even
hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was hot chocolate, not
the cup; but you consciously went for the best cups.. And then you began
eyeing each other's cups.

Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money and position
in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain life. The
cup you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have.
Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the hot
chocolate.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the
best of everything that they have. Live simply. Love generously. Care
deeply. Speak kindly.
And enjoy your hot chocolate!"

*****

Dr. Ronald E. Milliman, Professor of Marketing, Western Kentucky University

**Chair, ACB Public Relations Committee
**Chair, ACB Monthly Monetary Support Program (MMS) Committee