Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty Bites 2#7 Oktoberfest Recipes  Stephen Block
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Tasty “Bites” from the Kitchen Project
Volume 2 # 7
Sept. 28, 2000
Your Host, Stephen Block
step-@kitchenproject.com
Http://www.kitchenproject.com
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
SPECIAL OKTOBERFEST ISSUE;

~~*OKTOBERFEST SITE
~~*GERMAN POPCORN
~~*ROULADEN(GERMAN STUFFED MEAT ROLLUPS)
~~*SPAETZELS (tiny egg dumplings)
~~*GERMAN POTATO SALAD (vegetarian) also a crockpot recipe
~~*EGG SUBSTITUTES, by Susan Doyle
~~*HOW TO SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE

****************OKTOBERFEST ISSUE****************
GUTEN TAG:

I hope you enjoy the German recipes and links as much as I have! Just
now, I have to run and prepare Oktoberfest food at the restaurant, but I
wanted to send these along.

Stephen Block
step-@kitchenproject.com

GEMUTLICHKEIT!
(Means cheer and good spirits)

It’s Oktoberfest time through Oct. 3rd, and here are a few links to help
you get some flavor of this annual event.

If you cannot go to Munich for the Oktoberfest then you can get a real
taste of what happens there by going to this web site.
http://www.oktoberfest.de/

You can find the history of the Oktoberfest here, play fun little
computer games with images of beer and pretzels, view online cameras
that show live shots of what the huge beer tents look like crowded with
thousands of people. From the site you can download some neat wall paper
of German Frau’s(Married Ladies) or Frauleins (young unmarried German
girls). I looks great on my desktop!

******************OKTOBERFEST FOOD****************
GERMAN POPCORN
(also known as kettle corn )

This Popcorn you can get at the many of the county and state fairs.
It is good and not as sweet as caramel corn.
This recipe works very well.
Since Jolly time was nice enough to donate the recipe I will include
their name. Other brands work also.
1/2 cup JOLLY TIME Pop Corn
3 tbs. White Sugar
Oil for popping.
Heat oil in medium sized pan until hot. Add pop corn and sprinkle all of
the sugar over it. Cover and shake CONTINUOUSLY until popped. Absolutely
wonderful!

Here is a recipe for another snack you will find at the Oktoberfest,
some HOT WARM PRETZELS to go with the beer. I have enjoyed making these.

http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/pretzel.html

****************** FEATURE ******************
You can view other German recipes at this site.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/RGG.html#recipes

ROULADEN
(meat roll ups)

These are a wonderfully tasty main dish, and were always one of our
favorites. They take some preparation and cooking time, but are worth
it!

1 round steak, cut thin (not more than 1/3 inch thick)
6 (about) slices of bacon, cut in small pieces
¾ C. chopped onion
Dijon mustard
1 large or 2 small Dill Pickles, cut in narrow strips
String or toothpicks for securing rolls
Flour for dredging
Beef stock plus red wine (Optional)
Oil or shortening for browning
1. Cut the steak into pieces about 2" by 4". Pound the strips with a
mallet or meat tenderizing tool until very thin and pliable; they will
also be a little larger.
2. Season the strips with salt and pepper, spread thinly with mustard.
3. Place crosswise on each strip: 1 TB of bacon pieces, about 1 TB.
chopped onion; and 1 strip of dill pickle.
4. Roll the strips, tying them with string or securing them with
toothpicks.
5. Dredge them in flour.
6. Brown the rolls in oil or shortening.
7. Add liquid (beef stock and a little red wine, or just water) to a
depth of about 1/2 inch in skillet.
8. Cover the pan and simmer, adding liquid as needed. Cook them for
about 1 hour, or until the Rouladen are tender.
9. Remove the rolls to a heated plate.
     10. Thicken the gravy with flour or cornstarch. Sour cream or
yogurt may be added. Rouladen are good served with Spaetzels, noodles,
or mashed potatoes.

*SPAETZLES (Spatzen: Tiny Dumplings)

The German plural word for “Spaetzle” is “Spatzen.” But Grandma always
called them “Spaetzles,” and so we do too.
Grandma Block started the Spaetzle batter about an hour ahead of time,
beat the batter with a wooden paddle for a minute or two, and then let
the batter “rest” for a little while. Then it would be beaten some more.
In fact, whenever anyone headed for the kitchen, they’d be asked to
“Give the spaetzles a stir!” By the time it was ready to use, the batter
was elastic, shiny and slightly thick. (The batter works well even
without all that beating!)
You will need a colander or a special Spaetzle-maker-a pan with 3/8 inch
holes in the bottom. Or, cutting bits of the batter from a spoon into
the boiling water works well--it’s just slower.

Here is the method:

4 eggs (or more)
½ egg-shell of water for each egg used.
Enough flour to make a thick batter
A pinch of salt
Whisk the eggs and water together, and add flour gradually, beating
well. Let batter “rest” after beating, repeat beating and resting
several times, then push through Spaetzel-maker with wooden spoon into
boiling water. When all the Spaetzles are floating, lift them out into a
serving dish and cover with Buttered Crumb Topping.

BUTTER-CRUMB TOPPING
(This is the topping Grandma used for dumplings, spaetzles, noodles, and
vegetables such as cauliflower and Brussels sprouts..)
1/2 C. butter (1 stick)
3/4 C. dry bread crumbs

Melt the butter in a small skillet, add the crumbs, and stir over medium
heat till both butter and crumbs are lightly browned. Pour the topping
over the dumplings before serving them.

*Spaetzle is a Swabian word, meaning little Spatz. More than one Spatz =
Spaetzle or Spatzen. The word Spaetzle can also be used in plural form.

****************** GERMAN COOKBOOK ******************
The Rouladen and Spaetzle recipe come from our cookbook about my German
Grandmother.

If you would like to view more of this book or purchase the book, here
is the web address where it’s located.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/GBcover.html

****************** GERMAN POTATO SALAD (VEGETARIAN)*****************

German Potato Salad (vegetarian)

2 large Red skin potatoes,
1/2 c. white onions, chopped
1/2 c. celery sliced
1/4 c. green peppers, diced
1/4 c. vinegar (preferably cider)
1 T sugar
1/4 C oil
Chopped parsley

Microwave potatoes till just cooked.
Saute onions and celery in oil till they are soft.
Add potatoes (cubed in about ¾ inch chunks ) sauté till potatoes are
lightly brown.
Add vinegar and sugar and blend in.
Taste for balance of the sweet and sour. Add more sugar or vinegar if
necessary.
Add salt and fresh grated pepper to taste.
sprinkle on fresh chopped parsley before serving.

CROCKPOT STYLE
Cube potatoes about ¾ inch chunks
Combine all ingredients except parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Stir and cook for 5-6 hours in crock pot. Add sugar if needed. Garnish
with parsley

******************HOUSEHOLD HINTS******************
By Susan Doyle

Lots of Eggs are used in German Baking. If you want to use egg
substitute, Susan has this tip.
EGG WHITES - USE THEM FOR EVERYTHING

My dear friend Savilla uses egg whites as a substitute for eggs
constantly.
Don't purchase egg substitutes, they are egg whites with yellow food
coloring added. Substitute two egg whites for each egg called for in a
recipe. You can add a teaspoonful of Canola oil to each two egg whites
in baked goods or meatloaf. You can add yellow food coloring if you
must, in scrambled eggs for appearance sake.

Courtesy of Susan’s TIP OF THE DAY newsletter.

If you have a favorite tip that you would like to share with our readers
please send it to us via email or if you would like to subscribe, and
get a free tip in your email box each week day, please send a blank
email to sus-@kitchenproject.com and we will send you an invitation.

Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time…………COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with
us!