Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty "Bites" Autumn Apple Recipes, vol.2 #8  Stephen Block
 Nov 07, 2000 15:13 PST

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Tasty “Bites” from the Kitchen Project
Vol. 2 #8
Nov. 7, 2000
Your Host, Stephen Block
Http://www.kitchenproject.com
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Hello,put on some coffee or tea, lets talk about food.
This newsletter is sent only to those who request
it. To have your address immediately deleted from
our subscriber list send any email saying unsubscribe to:
Step-@kitchenproject.com,
YOUR ADDRESS IS NEVER SOLD, TRADED, OR SHARED WITH
ANYONE!

In this Issue;
~~* Autumn Apple Recipes ( from the Wandering Chef’s adventures)
~~*Stop Crying Over Onions ( Please help us) Susan Doyle
~~*Bread machine recipes; From theinternetchef discussion group
~~*Ask the Web Chefs;the difference between white and black pepper
                     salted and unsalted butter
~~*Subscribe/unsubscribe

WHAT'S HAPPENING AT OUR PROJECTS:
From      THE WANDERING CHEF    Project
AUTUMN APPLE RECIPES

Stephen Block
step-@thewanderingchef.com

When is the last time you went bobbing for apples?

Well the fall here in the Northern States is always special because of
the crisp cool air and the orangeish sun. Certain foods always are a
part of this time like “Tart apple Pie” with a slice of sharp cheddar
cheese and bubbling apple pan dowdy in a cast iron skillet. Buttery
sweet bread crust for apple kuchen and caramelized apples with juicy
pork chops.

So the Wandering Chef has started bobbing for apple recipes.
…there are more and more great apples available on the market:
Johnagolds, fuji’s, Galas.   The Wandering Chef has been checking the
net out for neat apple recipes and when I did man did I get distracted.
In addition to recipes that I just had to check out    like; Mile High
apple Pie, The Big Apple, Dutch Apple Crumble, Red Hot Baked Apples,I
saw a link about making apple leather and waxes that they put on apples.
Well I always wanted to know about the wax they use on apples. Is it
paraffin? Candle wax? ? I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find
out.

Then I saw the link to pesticides. I have wondered what they are using
now that Meryl Streep told the world that Alar was bad. So have you
heard about the “pheromone confusion” method of keeping the insects from
even "GETTING" to the apples?

Read about these topics and other recipe,links and apple-facts from my
wanderings on this page;
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/applepage/

Here is an interesting apple recipe that I found because I love to
snack. This keeps well in my cooler and I can toast a bagel spread it on
thick and watch The bad guy get it on Law and Order. Or when work has
been completed and it is time for nibbles in the late afternoon this is
great on some crackers or crusty French bread.

Of course this is open to interpretation you can use caraway cheese, or
Jack cheese. Or any kind of nuts that you want .

APPLE CHEDDAR SPREAD

Ingredients:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup finely diced apple Tart apple like granny smith (one small)
1/3 cup crushed walnuts
½ C fine chopped celery
2 tablespoons milk
1 dash of tobasco or dash of pepper sauce.

1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

In a small mixer bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in
remaining ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate, covered, 1-2
hours to allow flavors to blend. Store in refrigerator up to one week.

Good with baked tortilla triangles or
With a tray of sliced bread and crackers
or on waffles and pancakes.
Make a turkey sandwich gourmet by putting this spread on it.

*********************************
        HOLIDAY MEALS TO GO
**********************************

With the holidays around the corner, I'm getting busier and busier! I
found Balducci's, this gourmet market on the web, which has the most
delicious food! Now I can order everything for my holiday meals, and
pick up a gift or two! You should check it out!

http://media.quinstreet.com/adclick.jsp?area=kotodaiaryukaryu

from SUSAN’S HOUSEHOLD HINTS    project
By Susan Doyle
http://www.kitchenproject.com/susan

WE NEED YOUR HELP - STOP CRYING OVER ONIONS

To keep from tearing when cutting onions, simply keep your mouth
closed during the process. I really didn't take it seriously.
However, I was making a large pot of stew and thought I would try it
while cutting up several onions. I was amazed to find it worked.
Frankly, I am not sure if it was just a coincidence or not.

I would love to include this information as a tip but.....I
really want to be sure it really works. I need your help. In the next
few weeks please try this method and let me know if it works for you. I
give you fair warning, you really have to concentrate not to open
your mouth, or maybe it is just that I have trouble keeping my mouth
shut.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. Please email your
results to sus-@kitchenproject.com

Susan’s Daily Tips , for the Home
send a blank email to
sus-@kitchenproject.com
featured now on 3 web sites!

from the ASK THE WEB CHEFS project

Laura at the Practical Kitchen developed;Ask the Web Chefs.*

ANGELA’S QUESTION; what is the difference between white and black
pepper? Also when recipes call for unsalted butter can I use “regular”
or salted butter?

Read about it here
http://www.practicalkitchen.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump.cgi?ID=1671

and you won’t be disappointed if you check out the rest of The Practical
Kitchen.

We love to answer your questions;
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/search/webchefs.php

Or email me at step-@kitchenproject.com

*It has been one of the most enjoyable projects on the net for my chef
friends and me. We love to research your questions and get back to you.

        RECIPES WE KICKED AROUND THIS WEEK
From    theinternetchef newsgroup…….   project
http://www.egroups.com/message/theinternetchef

The project likes this group because it is low key and it is just a nice
place to post recipes, links and share knowledge and pictures of food.

This week the group has discussed bread machine recipes. Mary Lee
wondered if you didn’t have a bread machine can you still use the
recipes.

Stephen Holloway (chef) said that he has found that you can just mix
them up and let them rise and bake like you would any other bread.

Here was one of the bread recipes that was submitted;

Cajun Bread

1 1/2 Pound Loaf:

3/4 cup water
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, chopped finely
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, soft
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons yeast

1 Pound Loaf:

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, chopped finely
2 teaspoons margarine or butter, soft
2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast

Measure all ingredients into machine according to manufacturer's
directions.
Select basic/white cycle. Use medium or light crust color. (Do not use
delay
cycles) Cool on wire rack.

We want your input, sign up for it here;
http://www.egroups.com/message/theinternetchef
by Chef Holloway

For the Chef Christmas

Want some great professional chef tools or clothes!
check out this site. Did you know that the new designer Chef pants are
very comfortable and fashionable? Chef Lester says his daughter steals
them from him to lounge in.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/cart
For newsletter, send a blank email to le-@thewanderingchef.com

on it.
Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time…………COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with
us.