Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty "Bites" Thanksgiving Goodies, Vol. 2 #9  Stephen Block
 Nov 18, 2000 13:09 PST

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Tasty “Bites” from the Kitchen Project
Vol. 2 #9
Nov. 18, 2000
Your Host, Stephen Block
Http://www.kitchenproject.com
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Hello! Put on some coffee or tea, and let's talk about food.
This newsletter is sent only to those who request
it. To have your address immediately deleted from
our subscriber list send any email saying unsubscribe to:
Step-@kitchenproject.com,
YOUR ADDRESS IS NEVER SOLD, TRADED, OR SHARED WITH
ANYONE!

In this Issue;
~~*The Wandering Chef Thanksgiving Journey,good and Unusual recipes
~~*Recipes, Extra Good Cranberry sauce, Simplest Bread Stuffing
~~*Thanksgiving Clip art
~~*Susan Doyle
~~*Ask the Web Chef
~~*Food History
~~*Recipe Discussion

From     THE WANDERING CHEF    Project

The Wandering Chef explores Thanksgiving
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/thanksgiving/turkey1.htm

I wanted to write about Thanksgiving, so I went to www.google.com and
typed in "Thanksgiving." It’s amazing what you can find, I read about
what the first Thanksgiving was like, I read different Thanksgiving
menus, from New England to Shaker, Virginia to trendy California ones,
also vegetarian ones, minimalist ones.

I jumped around when I saw something interesting like how to Deep fry
and Turkey. I got an idea to make a lobster fondue dip when I found out
that the pilgrims most likely had Lobster on the first Thanksgiving,
back then it was plentiful.

There were so many good side dishes, like good old grandma’s green beans
and scalloped corn and tomato casserole, the holiday potato casserole is
a winner. The Extra good cranberry sauce is fantastic!!!

I thought, "Boy, I am finding a lot of interesting stuff," and STUFFING
came to mind. You will find links to lots of stuffing ideas, like
Macadamia nut turkey stuffing, Fruit and nut stuffing and Pumpernickel
stuffing. Don’t wrinkle your nose up at oyster stuffing you cant even
taste the oysters it just tastes extra good!

Finally I got some great inspirations for Thanksgiving desserts, like
Indian Pumpkin Pudding and pumpkin cheesecake. I stumbled across a
recipe for Pumpion pie (pumpkin pie, from a 1671 British cookbook. They
include an illustration from the book that makes this perfect for your
files to have or send to someone.

Get all these recipes, history, clip art and Links at this web address,
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/thanksgiving/turkey1.htm

*********************************
         RECIPES
**********************************

THE SIMPLEST BREAD STUFFING

This amazes me, as it only takes about 15 minutes to put together.

For 4 people (1 Roasting Chicken)
If you are going to stuff a turkey, double the recipe.

Ingredients:
6 slices of bread toasted then buttered
1/2 cup onion chopped fine
1/2 cup apple or celery chopped fine
2 eggs
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning

Mix together vegetables, eggs, and seasoning.
Spread on to 3 pieces of toast and put another toast on top of each,
making 3 sandwiches.

Chop each sandwich into 8 pieces Put the pieces into a long shallow
microwave baking dish or stuff into a chicken.
If you are baking in a dish pour in1 cup of hot water flavored with
chicken bouillon.

Bake for 30 minutes in an oven, or till a thermometer reads 165 degrees;
or in a microwave, covered, for 10 minutes. If not done, rotate the pan
180 degrees and microwave 5 more minutes.

EXTRA GOOD CRANBERRY SAUCE

1-1/2 C sugar
1 navel orange
1/2 tsp. grated ginger
4 C cranberries

Grate the orange peel and add to a pot with the sugar and ginger.
Add the juice from the orange into the pot and simmer over
medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
Add cranberries and cook until they pop - about 5 minutes.

*********************************
        HOLIDAY MEALS TO GO
**********************************

With the holidays around the corner, I'm getting busier and busier! I
found Balducci's, this gourmet market on the web, which has the most
delicious food! Now I can order everything for my holiday meals, and
pick up a gift or two! You should check it out!
http://media.quinstreet.com/adclick.jsp?area=kotodaiaryukaryu

THANKSGIVING CLIP ART

http://webclipart.about.com/internet/webclipart/msub41.htm

From About.com

from SUSAN’S HOUSEHOLD HINTS    project
By Susan Doyle
http://www.kitchenproject.com/susan

Turkey Talk Line: 20th Anniversary
Since its inception in 1981, the Butterball Turkey Talk-Line at 1-800-
323-4848 has helped more than 2.4 million turkey troubled callers
from the United States and Canada. And, since 1995 the Talk-Line has
assisted nearly 5 million holiday cooks via the Butterball Web site
http://www.butterball.com

One of the nation's first consumer help lines, the Talk-Line has been
serving up turkey advice for the past 20 years and continues to be
the source for reliable turkey information.

Susan’s Daily Tips , for the Home
send a blank email to
sus-@kitchenproject.com
featured now on 3 web sites!

from the ASK THE WEB CHEFS project

Laura at the Practical Kitchen developed "Ask the Web Chefs."*

ANGELA’S QUESTION: "What is the difference between white and black
pepper? Also when recipes call for unsalted butter can I use “regular”
or salted butter?"

Read about it here
http://www.practicalkitchen.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump.cgi?ID=1671

And you won’t be disappointed if you check out the rest of The Practical
Kitchen.

We love to answer your questions;
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/search/webchefs.php

Or email me at step-@kitchenproject.com

*It has been one of the most enjoyable projects on the net for my chef
friends and me. We love to research your questions and get back to you.

        From the FOOD HISTORY project

http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/history.html#thanks
Yep, it's everything you ever wanted to know about our favorite fowl
but were afraid to ask.
Do you know: Why a turkey is called "turkey?" There are several possible
explanations:
Columbus thought that the land he discovered was connected to India,
where peacocks are found in considerable number. And he believed turkeys
were a type of peacock (they're actually a type of pheasant). So he
named them tuka, which is "peacock" in the Tamil language of India.
Another explanation is that firkee
(sounds like turkey) was the Native American name for the bird.
When the turkey is scared it makes a noise that sounds like "turk, turk,
turk."
Turkeys could be named after the country of Turkey.

        RECIPES WE KICKED AROUND THIS WEEK
From    theinternetchef newsgroup…….   project
I shared wit the group a “Black Turkey” recipe
This is a fun recipe to read about even if you never cook it.

My friend Mary Lee responded in the discussion and led me to another
neat Black Turkey recipe. Go to http://www.marthastewart.com, click on
"cooking" in upper left corner (the little pumpkin pie icon), click on
"program guide," click on Nov. 13th calender block. Scroll to the bottom
and click on the "blackened turkey with Jane Heller."

We want your input, sign up for it here;
http://www.egroups.com/message/theinternetchef
by Chef Holloway

order from the WANDERING CHEF
It is entirely Safe and we guarantee everything!

Want some great professional chef tools or clothes or vanilla beans!
check out this site. Did you know that the new designer Chef pants are
very comfortable and fashionable? Chef Lester says his daughter steals
them from him to lounge in.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com
For newsletter, send a blank email to le-@thewanderingchef.com

on it.
Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time…………COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with
us.