Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty Bites; Christmas Gifts to Make, vol. 2 # 10  Stephen Block
 Dec 14, 2000 14:26 PST

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Tasty “Bites” from the Kitchen Project
Vol. 2 #10
Dec. 14, 2000
Your Host, Stephen Block
Http://www.kitchenproject.com
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Hello,put on some coffee or tea, lets talk about food.
This newsletter is sent only to those who request
it. To have your address immediately deleted from
our subscriber list send any email saying unsubscribe to:
Step-@kitchenproject.com,

YOUR ADDRESS IS NEVER SOLD, TRADED, OR SHARED WITH
ANYONE!
In this Issue;
~~* Food gifts to make for Christmas.
~~* Making Kaluha
~~* Christmas Links
~~* Recipe Discussion;
~~* Food History; Filet of Beef Wellington,
~~* Bourbon Balls and other Christmas recipes

*********************************
        HOLIDAY MEALS TO GO
**********************************

Throwing a dinner party this holiday? Balducci’s recommends these
favorites to make your party a smash!

Begin with a mouth-watering appetizer of Stuffed Mushrooms. Next, wow
them with a main course of Balducci’s most popular dish, Beef
Wellington. Spinach Soufflé works perfectly as a side dish. Finish off
this exquisite meal with a sinful dessert of Chocolate Covered
Cheesecake.

See more meal suggestions here:
http://quinst.com/c.jsp?area=fuorunanaine

From      THE WANDERING CHEF    Project
GIFTS TO MAKE
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/recipes/giftstomake.htm

IF you wander around the net you find some neat projects to make for
gifts. Some are quick to make without too much fuss.

There are a lot of interesting things that you can make that show
creativity. You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to be effective and
personal!!!

START WITH A CUTTING BOARD.....

Buy a cutting board that looks cute and lets say you have a cookie mix
that you like.

Put the cookie mix on the board in a nice jar, which you decorate. Next
tie the recipe on a 3x5 card around it. Then put some neat things to go
into the cookies like instead of regular chocolate chips try taking some
dark bar chocolate and busting it up into chunky chips. Maybe some
crushed peppermint pieces.

Next put some special molds or cookie cutters on the cutting board. Then
wrap with colored cellophane and tie with a pretty bow.

You can do similar things with buying special Pastas and put them in a
colander and stick Spaghetti spoons and Pasta sauces in there.

Now I bet you could think of some interesting things to do starting with
a wok.

Here are some other ideas at the web site that you can do. Some of these
are great gifts that you can make with your kids.

CHOCOLATE MELTING SPOONS
These are simple and are great stocking stuffers. An even better project
for kids.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/recipes/giftstomake.htm#chocolatespoon

FESTIVE JELLIES
These clear jellies are something unique to make. With names like Wine
Jelly and Lemon Basil jelly, they just beg to be opened and tasted.
Donated by Susan Doyle
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/recipes/giftstomake.htm#top

CRYSTALLIZED GINGER
This tastes like ginger candy. Donated by Susan Doyle
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/recipes/giftstomake.htm#ginger

ROASTED CHESTNUTS
You can really have chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/recipes/giftstomake.htm#chestnuts

CAKE IN A COFFEE CUP.
You really must try this one. It is so cute. The recipient can mix this
little baggie of cake mix and pour it in the coffee cup and microwave it
and in 2 minutes they have a delicious cake that rises above the rim of
the coffee cup.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/recipes/giftstomake.htm#cake

***********************PAULA WALLA IMPORTS*******************

This week when you place a PaulaWalla order of $35 or more, you'll get a
FREE Gift! As a thank you to our customers, we're giving away a Glow
Candle with all orders over $35 this week! Our Blue & White Glow Candle
will make a great gift for someone on your list, and hey, you don't have
to pay for it! Regularly $9.99, Now on sale for FREE with any $35
order.http://www.paulawalla.com/sales.html

******************FOOD THOUGHTS***********************
Donated by Ryoan Hill

I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons
and forks. So I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?

from SUSAN’S HOUSEHOLD HINTS    project
By Susan Doyle
http://www.kitchenproject.com/susan

KALUHA - MAKE YOUR OWN

2 cups water
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup dry instant coffee
1/2 chopped vanilla bean (I use vanilla
extract about 1 to 2 t.)
1 -1/2 cups vodka

Boil water and sugar until dissolved. Turn off heat. Slowly add dry
instant coffee and continue stirring. Add a chopped vanilla bean to
the vodka, and then combine the cooled sugar syrup and coffee
solution with the vodka. Cover tightly and shake vigorously each day
for 3 weeks. Strain and filter.
Yield: about 4 cups

Go to Pier 1 for fancy bottles, or any small glass bottle can have the
label removed and be decorated to put the kaluha in.

Vanilla Extract is also a good one to make
Here is a link to the recipe.

http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/Vanilla_Bean_Page.html#vanextract

Susan’s Daily Tips , for the Home
send a blank email to
sus-@kitchenproject.com
featured now on 3 web sites!

**************** VANILLA BEANS ********************

A great deal on Madagascar Vanilla Beans here only 1.60 a bean , and no
delivery charge .I have sold hundreds of these now, they are really
good.
Minimum order 6 beans.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/cart

**************** CHRISTMAS LINKS ********************
by Gudrun
http://www.simnet.is/gunnsasjalf/Food.htm

Christmas all over the world: http://www.the-north-pole.com/around/

and also on http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/memory/645/

"Merry Christmas" in 325+ languages: http://www.flw.com/merry.htm

A large Chrsitmas website: http://www.christmas.com

Christmaswebring: http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=allfaiths&list

************ RECIPES WE KICKED AROUND THIS WEEK****************
From    theinternetchef newsgroup…….   project

I learn so much from recipe discussions and it is a great place to find
answers to your questions.
From this weeks discussions;

To access the links to these recpies you need to sign up here
http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/theinternetchef

***************from the   FOOD HISTORY   project***************

FILLET OF BEEF WELLINGTON

Some say it was his favorite meal, and others claim it
resembled the boots that he wore. Whatever the case may be,
the Duke of Wellington has a grand dish named after him,
which became the entertaining extravaganza of the 1960s.
Here is the link to this recipe;

http://www.egroups.com/message/theinternetchef/241

BOURBON BALLS, Rum Balls Brandy Balls. A small round Christmas cookie.

Several of us had similar recipes for this and found that the only main
difference was the booze.

Cranberry Mist… Ryoan Hill
http://www.egroups.com/message/theinternetchef/215

Spicy Glazed Pecans… Ryoan Hill
http://www.egroups.com/message/theinternetchef/220

Thyme , lemon peel , and black pepper vinegar … Ryoan Hill
http://www.egroups.com/message/theinternetchef/217

We want your input, sign up for it here;

by Chef Holloway

Want some great professional chef tools or clothes or vanilla beans!
check out this site. Did you know that the new designer Chef pants are
very comfortable and fashionable? Chef Lester says his daughter steals
them from him to lounge in.
Join The Wandering Chef’s Club and get 10 % off on all Chef accessories
.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/cart

Send a blank email to step-@kitchenproject.com with SUBSCRIBE written
on it.
Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time…………COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with
us.