Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty Bites Winter Soup Potpourri, Vol. 3 # 1  Stephen Block
 Jan 05, 2001 11:00 PST

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Tasty “Bites” from the Kitchen Project
Vol. 3 Jan.5, 2001
Your Host, Stephen Block
Http://www.kitchenproject.com
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Hello, put on some coffee or tea, lets talk about food.
This newsletter is sent only to those who request
it. To have your address immediately deleted from
our subscriber list send any email saying unsubscribe to:
Step-@kitchenproject.com,

YOUR ADDRESS IS NEVER SOLD, TRADED, OR SHARED WITH
ANYONE!
In this Issue;
~~* Winter Soup Potpourri
~~* Beginner's White Bread
~~* The History of the Twinkie and recipe,the Food History Project
~~* Freezing Candles
~~* Ask the Web Chefs; Restaurant Recipe Found

WINTER SOUP POTPOURRI

The cold of winter is so exciting because it makes a hot pot of soup
even more enjoyable. The potpourri of smells also makes the snow and
barren branches not look so bad against a gray sky.

Here is a simple soup recipe that I started at Mrs. Beasley’s 20 years
ago. It has stood the test of time. I was originally just trying to use
up a frozen vegetable mix that we had bought. It was a blend of
broccoli and cauliflower and it was called Broccoli Normandy. We still
serve this soup every Wednesday at Mrs. Beasley’s restaurant. Somehow
the blend of cream cheese and cheddar cheese works like magic; it is so
silky and smooth. So here’s the recipe for—

NORMANDY CHEESE SOUP

3 cups chicken stock (or water with bouillon)
Approx. 2 C chopped broccoli
Approx. 2 C chopped cauliflower.
(Frozen vegetables work very nicely for this.)
˝ C chopped onions (or 1 TB Onion flakes)
2 T cornstarch, mixed with ˝ C water
8 oz. cream cheese
1 C grated cheddar cheese.

Simmer vegetables in stock until tender.
Thicken with the cornstarch solution.
Reduce heat.
Add the cream cheese. (You can soften the cream cheese in the microwave
for 45 to 90 seconds; this will make it easier to stir into the soup.)
Add it in little clumps, stirring till it is smooth.
At the same time you will be breaking up the cooked vegetables into the
desired size.
Add the cheddar cheese and stir in till smooth.
Serve with salad and French bread or crusty rolls for dipping.

Serve Your Soup in a Bread Bowl

Take a round loaf of French bread, or use one of the following yeast
bread recipes to make a bread bowl. Place dough the size of a soft ball
on a baking sheet. Put a little piece of dough on top for a handle. Bake
until done. Cut the top off to make a lid. Scoop out the center, then
cut the insides into squares and place them on a sheet pan with the
hollowed out bread bowls. Brush with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan
cheese and garlic salt. Use the cubes as croutons for your salad or
soup. Serve the soup in the bread bowl.

For all you recipe collectors out there, here is a basic recipe that is
so simple anyone can do it. This is from Chef Holloway's Book entitled
"The History of Bread."

BEGINNER'S WHITE BREAD

Makes 2 loaves
5 1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 envelopes FLEISCHMANN’S Rapid Rise Yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Directions;
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and
salt. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120 to 130oF); stir
into dry ingredients. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer,
scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup flour; beat at high speed for 2
minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to
make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and
elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough in half; roll each half to 12 x 7-inch rectangle. Beginning
at short end of each rectangle, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch
seams and ends to seal. Place, seam sides down, in greased 8 1/2 x 4
1/2-inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft free place until
doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Bake at 400oF for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool
on wire rack.

To Make Whole Wheat Bread: Substitute 2 cups whole wheat flour for part
of all-purpose flour.

From      THE FOOD HISTORY   Project
From Chef Holloway's book "The History of Food"

1933 - Twinkies are introduced by Continental Baking Company. The sponge
cakes were originally sold without cream fillings for use in strawberry
shortcakes. Cream filling is later added, when bakery manager James A.
Dewar comes up with the idea to keep sales going after strawberry season
is over. They originally had a banana filling but during WW11 there was
a banana shortage and so they started using the cream filling.

The Sponge cake is also the same cake that is used to make a trifle,
Boston Cream Pie or Tiramisu. Here is a recipe for a popular Twinkie
cake:

As a note, The Continental Baking Company started Wonder Bread, and
sponsored the Howdy Doodie show.

For a recipe for Twinkie cakes click here.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/twinkie.htm

*********************************
           MEALS TO GO
**********************************

Did you make a new years resolution? Why not start by taking more time
for yourself and your family, and spend less time in the kitchen.
Balducci's can make and deliver the meal, and you can make the memory.
Click here to view the Balducci selection of gourmet foods:

http://quinst.com/c.jsp?area=fuorunanaine

from SUSAN’S HOUSEHOLD HINTS    project
By Susan Doyle
http://www.kitchenproject.com/susan

CANDLES IN THE FREEZER

One of our subscribers sent me this tip. She suggests putting
candles in the freezer the day before using. Freezing them slows the
burning process and they last longer. We tried it and it works. I
can't explain why. One of our subscribers advises that freezing candles
before using
works well for tapers and votive candles but not for the large round
scented candles. She tried it and experienced cracking and breaking
after defrosting.

Susan’s Daily Tips , for the Home
send a blank email to
sus-@kitchenproject.com
featured now on 3 web sites!

from the ASK THE WEB CHEFS project

Laura at the Practical Kitchen developed the idea for Ask the Web Chefs
.*

Melissa’s QUESTION: I am looking for a delicious Blue Cheese Glaze that
I had on a steak at a restaurant.

This was a most intriguing idea, It sounded horrible at first, but after
searching the web and asking other chefs, I found a really simple glaze
that works fantastically. We tried it at the restaurant and had great
results.

BLUE CHEESE GLAZE for steaks
2 oz. blue cheese (good quality--don’t skimp, get the good stuff)
˝ stick or 2 oz. of butter
2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce

Place in food processor or soften and mix.

Now all you do is broil your steak like normal and spread on the blue
cheese glaze as much as you want and serve. Keep some on the side so you
can add more later as you're eating the steak. I particularly liked it
on a thin steak sandwich that we made at the restaurant. This Blue
Cheese glaze also works well on chicken. With the addition of
Fettuccine Alfredo and toasted walnuts it makes a wonderful dish.

Read about it here--
http://www.practicalkitchen.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump.cgi?ID=1671

--and you won’t be disappointed if you check out the rest of The
Practical Kitchen.

We love to answer your questions!
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/search/webchefs.php

Or email me at step-@kitchenproject.com

*It has been one of the most enjoyable projects on the net for my chef
friends and me. We love to research your questions and get back to you.

The Wandering Chef

Want some great professional chef tools or clothes or vanilla beans!
check out this site. Did you know that the new designer Chef pants are
very comfortable and fashionable? Chef Lester says his daughter steals
them from him to lounge in.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com
For newsletter, send a blank email to le-@thewanderingchef.com

on it.
Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time…………COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with
us.