Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
TASTY BITES, Tossing Around Some Salad Ideas, Vol. 3 #3  Stephen Block
 Feb 07, 2001 12:11 PST

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Tasty “Bites” from the Kitchen Project
Vol. 3 #3
Nov. 7, 2000
Your Host, Stephen Block
Http://www.kitchenproject.com
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Hello, put on some coffee or tea, lets talk about food. This newsletter
is sent only to those who request it. To have your address immediately
deleted from our subscriber list send any email saying unsubscribe to:
step-@kitchenproject.com,
YOUR ADDRESS IS NEVER SOLD, TRADED, OR SHARED WITH
ANYONE!

In this Issue;
~~*From the Recipe Discussion project ; The Internet Chef
       TOSSING AROUND SOME SALAD IDEAS:
        Olive Garden House Dressing
        Shrimply Fiesta Feta
        Basic French Dressing
        Les’s Italian Dressing
        Salad Seasoning Mix
        Turning an Entrée into a Salad
        Making healthier Homemade mayonnaise

From our.. Recipe Discussions.. Project
Group owner Chef Stephen Holloway …the buck stops here ..haha
chefho-@thewanderingchef.com

Meeting new people and discussing and sharing recipes is the focus of
this project.

If you would like to post a recipe request or meet some new people to
discuss recipes
Click here
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theinternetchef

We got a request from a member of our group, Stacey, who was tired of
eating greens and tomato for salads, but her family needed to maintain
their weight program so they wanted some new salad ideas. Well lets not
just give some new salad dressings, but consider more of a style.

Here are some posts from the some of the group.
We look forward to you joining in and sharing as well.

Here are some salad dressing recipes from Chef Holloway
Blue cheese dressing, Olive garden house dressing , Benihana Ginger
Salad Dressing , and others
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/internetchef/#dressings

SHRIMPLY FIESTA SALAD
donated by Carol Shenkenberger
As one of the 'newbies' I'm just watching! Guess it would be polite to
add some food stuff. From a simple home cook who just feeds a family
well.

http://www.thewanderingchef.com/internetchef/#shrimply

      1 bn Watercress
      2 c Orange slices
     36 ea Shrimp, deveined shelled and cooked
1 1/2 c Thin sliced red onion
      3 ea Hard boiled eggs, quartered
    3/4 c Crumbled feta cheese
      1 tb Dijon mustard
    1/4 c Fresh coriander leaves
      3 tb Lemon juice
      2 tb Red wine vinegar
      6 tb Olive oil

Put the watercress about the plate, then arrange alternating orange
slices and shrimp. Put the onions over the plate and then the cooked
eggs. Sprinkle with feta and coriander leaves. Mix the rest in a
shaker and pour over salad before serving. A dash of tabasco on top
makes it perfect!

This is a spicy dish and best served for lunch, with a mild soup
starter such as corn/squash chowder and some old fashioned cold or
hot tea.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol

BASIC FRENCH DRESSING
From Warren Lower

1 Cup good oil, like Olive oil or Corn Oil
1/3 Cup good red wine vinegar
¼ Cup water
1 teaspoon mustard powder

Mix all ingredients well. Store in a glass container. Mix well before
using. This is a good base for many other salad dressings. That call for
an Italian or French Dressing for a base.

LES'S ITALIAN DRESSING

Makes 1 ½ Cups.
In a mixing bowl put mix and let sit for 15 min;

1/4 C balsamic vinegar
1 Tbl. dried Italian herbs or 3 T fresh( herbs such as basil, oregano,
rosemary or marjoram, use one or use a blend of them all)
1 tea. Pepper
1 tea salt
1 tea garlic salt
1 T garlic puree or finely chopped (3 cloves approx.)

Pour in a stream and whisk well.
1 cup good Olive oil. (a blend of half canola oil and half olive oil
also works well)

SALAD SEASONING MIX
Donated by Ryoan Hill

This is good to put into your salads and or salad dressings.

SALAD SEASONING MIX

8T dried parsley
4T dried chives
1t dried sage
1t dried oregano
1t dried thyme
1t dried basil
1/2t celery seeds
1t garlic powder

Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight container. The
garlic is the heaviest of the spices and settles to the bottom, so stir
well before using.

This is also great on fresh steamed vegetables, buttered pasta on salads
or topped on soup.

.......THE PRACTICAL KITCHEN.......

Visit our friends at:

Practical Kitchen makes your time in the kitchen easy
and fun, with easy to prepare recipes, common sense tips
and hints, and feature articles from and for cooks of every
experience. Visit them at http://www.practicalkitchen.com

TURNING AN ENTRÉE INTO A SALAD

By Chef Stephen Block
step-@kitchenproject.com

If you watch cooking shows on TV, or look at what is happening in
culinary magazines, you may see that warm salads and putting an entrée
on a bed of greens is very much in style. It is really nothing new but
maybe it is difficult to get into the idea of sautéing or steaming a
chicken breast and laying it on a bed of greens, asopposed to putting it
with noodles or rice. I would like you to consider how very tasty and
satisfying this can be as an alternative.

First of all I suggest you try something else besides just the same old
head
of lettuce. Probably a lot of you choose the same kind of lettuce every
time you shop, just because you feel it is the best value and you know
the rest of your family will like it. Lets try something wild, different
and exciting for a change!!! Perhaps butter lettuce is a bit more
expensive, but when you consider the benefits of taste, texture, and
health as well, then its worth the investment. You can mix a butter
lettuce with your usual lettuce (if you are concerned that the other
members of the family won't like it) and you can do this with other
vegetables as well. Try fresh green beans or pea pods, bean sprouts,
Portabello mushrooms for an interesting look and it tastes good too!!

Choose what looks yummy to you and not just what is cheapest. Your bill
may be a bit more, but evaluate that against your health and the quality
of life that you get, by building a salad that your mouth will water
for.

It is hard to beat simplicity when it comes to salad dressings. My
favorites are Italian, Caesar, Tomato French and Hot bacon dressings. To
make a blue cheese dressing I just add blue cheese crumbled to a Caesar
dressing, Italian or Ranch dressing.

To make a salad interesting and something to look forward to try these
ideas:

ROAST A CHICKEN ...slice the moist juicy breast and serve on a bed of
fresh greens, tossed with a simple vinaigrette.

PASTA ALFREDO ....PASTA SALAD So what is the difference between a pasta
dish and a pasta salad? Well I suppose that eating cold cream sauce
would not be so good, but what if instead of the cream sauce you had a
nice olive oil and garlic vinaigrette. Try it with some fresh herbs in
the dressing.
Now you have a pasta salad!!!. Add some sautéed fresh vegetables and
some chopped lettuce, voila! You have some good nutrients and a
delicious pasta salad.

STIR FRY AND STIR FRY SALAD. Instead of finishing your stir fry with a
stir fry sauce why not take a good Italian dressing and add a little soy
sauce and fresh ginger. Then slide from your wok onto a bed of fresh
greens. Top with some crunchy noodles or peanuts for a some Texture!!!

IF YOU WANT A STEAK, HOW ABOUT A STEAK SALAD Try marinating your steak,
cook it and then slice it on top of a bed of fresh greens tossed with
Caesar dressing. Add some fresh tomatoes and marinated onion slices, and
you have a nice Entrée that also gives a nice variation to your greens.

TAKE YOUR SALAD SOUTH OF THE BORDER Toss your greens with a tomato
French dressing and add some finely chopped bell pepper, green onion ,
olives ,
tomato and kidney beans. Try some Shredded Cheddar and some crushed taco
chips for texture. I love texture!!! Then top with a sliced grilled
chicken breast, steak , burger or chop and you have a Mexican twist to
your salad. Of course you need some salsa on the side and sour cream if
your diet allows.

HOT BACON SALAD You can use this with any salad including a potato
salad.
Add some blue cheese or gorgonzola and it is pure heaven. My regular
customers in my restaurant all requested this salad when they came in.
The recipe for hot bacon dressing is here. To lower the fat content you
can use turkey bacon.

....THE FAMILY BUDGETEER.......!!!

Here is a wonderful site with oodles of ideas and tips centered around
making quality life for the family.
http://www.familybudgeteer.com/

from SUSAN’S HOUSEHOLD HINTS    project

By Susan Doyle
http://www.kitchenproject.com/susan

Homemade Mayonnaise is the best but not always the healthiest. Here
is a deliciously healthy version to try.

HEALTHIER HOMEMADE EGG WHITE MAYONNAISE
1 egg White 1 cup Canola or Olive oil
¼ Tsp. Kosher Salt ¼ cup Water
Pinch freshly ground pepper
1 T. fresh Lemon Juice
2 Tsps Dijon Mustard
Makes 1-1/2 cups
Place egg white, salt, pepper, lemon juice and mustard in Food
Processor. Process until smooth and creamy. Add oil in a thin slow
stream through the feed tube. When all the oil has been
incorporated, with processor still running, slowly add the water.
Use immediately or remove to a clean glass jar and refrigerate,
tightly covered.

Susan’s Daily Tips , for the Home
send a blank email to
sus-@kitchenproject.com
featured now on 3 web sites!

.......THE WANDERING CHEF......
Want some great professional chef tools or clothes or vanilla beans!
check out this site. Did you know that the new designer Chef pants are
very comfortable and fashionable? Chef Lester says his daughter steals
them from him to lounge in.
http://www.thewanderingchef.com
For newsletter, send a blank email to le-@thewanderingchef.com

on it.
Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time…………COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with
us.