Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty "Bites" St. Patrick's Day Goodies, Vol. 3 #4  Stephen Block
 Mar 15, 2001 10:48 PST
Tasty "Bites" from the Kitchen Project.
Vol. 3 #4
march 15,2001
Your Host, Stephen Block
step-@kitchenproject.com
http://www.kitchenproject.com
YOUR ADDRESS IS NEVER SOLD, TRADED, OR SHARED WITH
ANYONE!

********************FROM THE EDITOR******************
Ohh--to imagine being in Ireland and invited to a nice country home, and
after a brisk walk in the countryside, walking in and smelling a Dublin
Coddle simmering on the stove. There's fresh Soda Bread baking in the
oven, and an Irish coffee to warm me up.

********************St. Patrick's Day Goodies******************
From Travels of the Wandering Chef
http://www.thewanderingchef.com

Here is a Page of all the neat things put together by the Wandering Chef
while searching the web for recipes for his St. Patrick's Day
Celebration.

He wondered how the tradition of eating Corned Beef and Cabbage got
started, and what exactly are the corns in corned beef?
http://kitchenproject.com/history/CornedBeef.htm

He found some great recipes such as--Smoked Salmon appetizer , on clover
shaped bread
Pride of Erin Soup
Roast Chicken with Hazelnut dressing and Cumberland sauce
Traditional Irish Stew
Dublin Coddle (sausage and potato stew)
Irish Soda Bread
Irish lemon Sponge Pudding
Bailey's Irish Cream Cake

The Wandering Chef got off the beaten track and found some neat web
sites with Irish Toasts on it, cool Irish Castles, Irish clip art, and
other Green Surprises. Find all these goodies and more at this web page
Patricks Day</a>

**************************************
IRISH TOAST TO FRIENDSHIP There are good ships, and there are wood
ships, The ships that sail the sea. But the best ships, are friendships,
And may they always be.

I have such wonderful feelings when we do Irish night at the restaurant.
I think I enjoy the Irish Culture is why. Part of Culture important to
its very survival is food.

Particular tastes and textures colors and smells all become part of
cultures quilt. Irish food is woven into its culture in traditions and
special events.

Most people think of corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day but
let's do another Irish Dish that is simple and has deep roots in the
Irish culture.

DUBLIN CODDLE This dish I have read the Irish say has restorative
powers. I imagine that after drinking too much Guinness and "Talking
Blarney" all night at an Irish pub, a dish such as Dublin Coddle would
give warmth and my connection to the earth back to me.

A Coddle is a 16th century term for a slow cooked stew. It later became
a term for treating anything gently. The charm of this dish is the way
it is put together. In layers and then covered with water or cider and
just barely simmered for hours.

This makes enough for 4 hungry people or some left to freeze.
1 lb. sliced bacon, (if you can get the meaty ends )
2 lbs. Good quality sausages. (Like a bratwurst , NOT smoked and meaty)
2 large Onions , sliced 2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 large potatoes, Like you would use for a stew
2 carrots , cut in thick slices
1 handful fresh herbs. Parsley works well, thyme and basil are also
good.
4 Cups Water ,apple cider, hard cider or a combination of

1. Brown the bacon in the skillet. Remove and chop into pieces and add
to a large pot that has a tight fitting lid

2. Brown sausages in the bacon fat then drain on a towel.

3. Layer the onions in the bottom of the pot. Next the potatoes, then
the browned sausages on top. After each layer grind some pepper over it.
Next sprinkle then with fresh herbs. Pour in hard cider, apple cider or
water just to cover., but no more than 4 cups.

4. Bring to a boil and then turn to a slow simmer just barley a bubble
coming up now and then. Let it cook for 2 to 4 hours developing a rich
flavored stew. This can also be done in the oven. Serve with Irish soda
bread or a White soda Farl to mop up the juices. Serve with Guinness
Stout .

Here is a nice link to an Irish Soda Bread recipe and some of its
history as well.
http://www.ibmpcug.co.uk/~owls/sodabred.htm

Here is a page of very good links to all kinds of Irish recipes
http://www.kitchenlink.com/cgi/public_frames?page=holiday/irish

Here is a Link to the St. Patrick's Day Story.
http://www.gaylasgarden.com/holidays/StPatStory.htm

Irish Lemon Sponge Pudding
Gourmet 1989

1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup flour
1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
pinch cream of tarter
sifted confectioners' sugar (optional)

Using an electric mixer, cream butter together with sugar in a large
bowl.
Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, the lemon juice, and the flour,
the lemon rind, and the salt.

Combine mixture well.
Add milk in a stream, beating, and combine well.
Beat the egg whites with a pinch of cream of tarter until they hold
stiff peaks.
Stir one forth of the whites into the lemon mixture.
Fold in remainder of whites gently, and transfer the mixture to a
buttered 1 1/2-quart glass souffle dish.
Set the dish in a deep pan, adding enough boiling water to pan to reach
halfway up the sides of the souffle dish.
Bake dessert in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 50 minutes, or until
it is puffed and the top golden.
Sift confectioners' sugar over top and serve dessert warm or chilled.
(The sponge will separate, forming a custard sauce on the bottom.)Spoon
the top onto dessert plates, and spoon sauce over each serving.

IRISH COFFEE

Irish Coffee Ingredients;
1 Measure (3 cl) of Irish Whisky
1 teaspoon of raw sugar
1 heaped desert spoon of whipped cream
Hot strong coffee to fill the glass

Pre-warm a stemmed glass. Add the whisky.
Add the sugar and stir in the coffee.
Float the whipped cream on top.
Drink the coffee through the cream (ie do not stir after adding the
cream).

IRISH PUNCH

(simple)
Put lime Sherbet in a bowl and add 7 up or any lemon lime drink.
For a more tart flavor add fresh or bottled lemon juice.

St Patricks Day LinksThe Story of St.Patrick
http://www.gaylasgarden.com/holidays/StPatStory.htm

from SUSAN'S HOUSEHOLD HINTS    project
By Susan Doyle
http://www.kitchenproject.com/susan

CLEANING AND REMOVING STAINS WITH SALT

Use salt to clean cast iron pots. Sprinkle bottom with salt and scrub
until surface looks and feels clean. Rinse with warm soapy water then
clear water. You may have to re-season the pan, if particularly crusty.

Salt will remove burnt marks from the edges of pie dishes, stains from
china and earthenware, and egg stains from cutlery. Simply place salt
on stain and rub. Rinse with warm water. Do not use on silver.

Susan's Daily Tips , for the Home
send a blank email to
sus-@kitchenproject.com
featured now on 3 web sites!

Also check out this site here, for wonderful recipes ,tips and crafts in
the kitchen
http://www.practicalkitchen.com

TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS PUBLICATION:
Send a blank email to step-@kitchenproject.com with SUBSCRIBE written
on it.
Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time…………COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with