Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty Bites, Interesting Food Stuff! Vol. 3 #5  Stephen Block
 Apr 13, 2001 14:18 PDT
Tasty Bites from the Kitchen Project
Vol 3 #5
April 13, 2001

in this issue;
~~*Easter Tips: Roasting a Juicy Pork Loin
~~*Ideas for Easter Turkey leftovers
~~*Spring, or is it Fall? ...BBQ and Picnic recipes
~~*Chicken Bianco

Easter Tips:
Roasting a Juicy Pork Loin

Cooking a fabulous Moist Pork Tenderloin for Easter
From Ask the Web Chef
Stephen Block

Here is a question from Patricia,

I am planning on making a roast loin of pork (with the bone in it) for
Easter. It will have 12 chops. How long should I cook it and at what
temperature? I want it to be moist, not dry.
Thank you for your help and happy holidays to you.

HI, Patricia:

I would invest in a meat thermometer if you don't have one.
Put a bed of onion slices on the bottom of your roast pan (2 onions'
worth) I would put a good seasoned salt, fresh cracked pepper, whole
thyme or rosemary on the pork loin for flavor. I would also make slits
in it with knife and insert whole cloves of garlic in the meat. (Putting
the seasoning on the roast the day before helps the flavor
tremendously.)

Roast uncovered, bone side down, (this makes a nice crispy crust) at a
low oven temperature, 325 degrees 20 to 25 min./pound, to an internal
degrees of 165 degrees.
However I would take roast out at 150, pour into the pan 3 to 4 cups of
hot water, splash 1/2 a cup of white wine if you enjoy that.

The Roast will continue to cook to 165 in about 15-20 minutes just
sitting on the counter. This is called "carry over" cooking. If you take
the roast out at 160 it will continue to cook to about 175 degrees.

Strain the onions out of the stock from the pan and make gravy.
Serve the caramelized onions from the roast, and serve them on the side.

I hope this helps, I get hungry thinking about one of my absolute
favorite roasts, pork tenderloin.

Warmest Regards, Chef Stephen
The Web Chefs..
Stephen Block
Susan Doyle
Stephen Holloway
Les Wolford
Peter Pizzati
Trevor Hamilton
Wendy Van Der Hieden

Do you have a question for the Web Chef?
http://www.thewanderingchef.com

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
WANDERING CHEF DISCOUNT CLUB 10% off all chef clothes and equipment
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/members/index.php
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Ideas for Turkey Leftovers:
Cooking Something from Nothing
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/chefbaum/

Chef Baum's Crockpot Italian Style Turkey Noodle Soup:
Tired of the same old turkey soup left over ? Just a few additions
And your house well smell like an Italian kitchen.

You will need:

1 medium onion diced
2 small or 1 large carrot peeled, and diced
4 celery stalks washed, and diced
2 Bay Leaves
Chicken base
½ gallon of hot water
1 cup cooked turkey chopped
1 cup or 1 14oz.can diced tomatoes
1 tblsp. fresh Garlic, minced
1 ½ tblsp. Oregano
1 ½ tblsp. Basil
Mozzarella cheese 1 cup shredded
1 cup uncooked macaroni or egg noodles
Salt and pepper
Method:

In a Crock Pot, add hot water. Add just enough chicken base to give it a
good flavor being careful not too add too much or too little. Add garlic
vegetables, turkey and the herbs and spices (salt and pepper to taste).
Let cook for approximately four (4) to six (6) hours on a medium setting
or until vegetables are tender. Add macaroni or egg noodles and cook on
hight for another half (1/2) hour.

Sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese on top of each soup cup or bowl
before serving.

Yield approximately sixty-four (64) ounces or a half (1/2) gallon.

Garnish idea: Use a cookie cutter and cut the center out of 1 slice of
bread for each serving of soup. Lightly butter the bread. Season with
garlic salt and parsley. Bake in a preheated, 350 degree oven for five
(5) minutes or until golden. Remove and place in the center of each bowl
of your Turkey Noodle Soup when you are ready to serve. A fresh sprig of
Parsley will be a nice accompaniment also.

To sign up for Chef Baum's newsletter, Cooking Something from Nothing,
send a blank email to
Chef-@chefbaum.com

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<><>

Practical Kitchen makes your time in the kitchen easy and fun, with easy
to prepare recipes, common sense tips and hints, and feature articles
from and for cooks of every experience. Visit them at
http://www.practicalkitchen.com.

Here is a wonderful article about teaching kids to Cook

http://www.practicalkitchen.com/kids/forget_the_mess.shtml

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Spring, or is it Fall?..BBQ and Picnic Recipes from the Wandering Chef

While Spring is starting to awaken in the Northern Hemisphere, Fall is
approaching in the Southern half of the world. Though both sides of the
earth are experiencing different seasons, with the internet and email it
is easier now to find out what is happening beyond the horizon. We can
share so easily what we are cooking for dinner.

In the North (perhaps like me) you are getting a bit of cabin fever.
Does the thought of a picnic or inviting a few friends over for a BBQ
sound good? In New Zealand my friend and “Wandering Chef of the month,”
Judy Collyns, says that during the fall weather they often have outdoor
BBQ’s . It has been so much fun sharing food thoughts with Judy and she
wouldn’t mind hearing from you. She is witty, fun and a fantastic cook
for her husband and family.

All Judy's BBQ recipes are found on this site
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/judy/FallBBQ.htm

Recipes by
Judy Collyns
JUDY.-@xtra.co.nz

Some of the recipes
Curry Avocado Dip
Kumara Salad (Sweet Potato Salad)
BBQ Lamb (Pork would work) with cucumber tomato salsa
Pumpkin Seed Bread
Bakeless Cake (This one is fantastic! Almost everyone wants this recipe
once they have tried it)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
The Internet chef Newsgroup Meet new cooking friends, …
mix it up with hobby cooks and some professional chefs.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Chicken Bianco
from Patty McDuffy

From the Internet Discussion group

This one I tried in the restaurant and every one really enjoyed it.

Chicken Bianco:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
12 oz. of heavy cream
2 oz. Gorgonzola cheese
1 pkg. of fresh spinach
Parmesan cheese

Sauté chicken breast until cooked through. Set aside. Reduce cream to
half.
Stir in Gorgonzola and Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth. Wash
spinach
and toss will still damp in hot skillet and wilt, add to cream sauce.
Return
chicken to sauce. Toss with pasta of choice.

Rino Lenoci (Rino's Restaurant in Lorain, Ohio)