Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
"Tasty Bites" American Heritage Recipes  Stephen Block
 Oct 09, 2001 11:11 PDT
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
"Tasty Bites" from The Kitchen project
October 7, 2001
Vol.3 #6
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
AMERICAN HERITAGE RECIPES
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
I thought about what I could do to support the cause of the world now in
the fight against Terrorism?

As helpless as I feel I still wondered if I could do something to help.

Would anyone would be interested in dishes that are truly Red ,White and
Blue?

Everyone in other countries did you realize that you are partners also
in all of the traditions of our American heritage recipes?

Of Course! All American heritage recipes have roots in recipes and
cooking styles from countries around the world. Now more than ever do we
have a common bond.

Here is an American recipe that also has some European roots .
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
BUFFALO WINGS
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
How has the chicken wing become a part of the American culture?

Chicken wings that have been baked or fried and coated with a
signature spicy hot sauce and served with bleu cheese dressing and
celery sticks have become known all over the world as Buffalo Wings.
They have nothing to do with a buffalo but have a lot to do with a
restaurant in Buffalo, New York, called the Anchor Bar.

Here is the recipe.....more on the origin of
Buffalo Wings follows, after the recipe.
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
RECIPE FOR BUFFALO WINGS
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Here is the original recipe created by Ms. Teresa Bellissimo, owner of
the Anchor Bar and Restaurant, in Buffalo, NY. It is taken from
Totally Hot! The Ultimate Hot Pepper Cookbook.

4 to 5 Lbs Chicken wings
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt (if desired)
4 C Vegetable Oil
4 Tbs butter or margarine (1/2 stick)
5 Tbs Louisiana-brand hot sauce or Tabasco sauce
1 Tbs white wine vinegar

1. Chop off the tip of each chicken wing, and discard it. Chop the wing
in half (cutting at the joint) to make 2 pieces. Grind on fresh black
pepper and sprinkle with salt if desired.

2. Heat the oil over high heat in a deep skillet, Dutch oven, or
deep-fat fryer until it starts to pop and sizzle (around 400 degrees F).
Add half the chicken wings and cook until they're golden and crisp,
stirring or shaking occasionally. When done, remove them to drain on
paper towels and cook the remaining wings.

3. Melt the butter or margarine over medium heat in a heavy saucepan,
add the hot sauce and the 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Stir well and remove
from the flame immediately.

4. Place the chicken on a warm serving platter, pour the sauce on top,
and serve
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Learn to make Apple Strudel,with step by step photos.
Pssst ...buy the book tooo
http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/strudel/

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
IT HAPPENED BY ACCIDENT.......
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
They are a tribute to American ingenuity. They use a part of the
chickenthat was often used for chicken soup or thrown away. They are a
tribute also to the "serendipity" that is also a part of our heritage,
in that the dish seems to have not been planned but just sort of
happened, like lots of things we have in American culture. Although like
most dishes there is some question over its true origin, this story is
for the most part undisputed.
Theresa Bellisimo seems to have stumbled upon this combination quite by
accident.

Read more about the origin of this dish here
http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/buffwing.htm

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
ARE THEY REALLY THAT GOOD.......?
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

How does a dish like this become a part of so many menus and have the
kindof appeal that would lead a major pizza chain, Dominoes, to put them
on their menu? How did they make a spot next to potato chips and Chex
mix with the Superbowl munchies in homes all over the world. Are they
really that good? Perhaps a good simple dish, a families pursuing the
American dream, and some luck had something to do with it.
These Buffalo Wings are not pretty or artsy or chic ...they are just
very good and have a delicious combination of flavors that induce people
to order them over and over. Why the blue cheese and celery sticks? I
don't know, but it is just
a good combination.

No expert seems to know how something becomes popular or a part of our
traditions. It is interesting that Bill Gates from Microsoft attributes
a lot of his success to luck and being in the right place at the right
time. Possibly these "Wings" flew into our lives at the right time and
place.

Part of the celebration of this dish is that a family has trademarked
it, marketed the sauce, and made their restaurant a place that
celebrities want to visit when they come through Buffalo. This is an
example of the American dream, part of what this country was built on. I
know there is a desire for gain mixed in with the commercialization of
almost anything, but often that
is how a good thing like a recipe gets spread amongst us.

Now ...do you want to order some of that special Wing sauce that has
that trick flavor? Or do you want to express your Yankee do-it-yourself
tradition and try the reasonable copycat version that reveals what is so
special about the sauce?
To order the sauce from the Anchor Bar go here
http://www.buffalowings.com/

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
MAKING GIFTS ..
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Warning ..there is some advertising going on here ..

Here is a page to get some Christmas gift ideas.

Like making your favorite cookie mix in a decorative jar and putting it
on one of those nifty cookie-baking liners called exopats. Then we need
to add some cool cookie cutters and maybe a really nice rolling pin.
Then put some decorative wrap around it and add a nice bow.

Search for the proper kitchen tools for your gifts here also .. For
instance try typing in "exopat" in the Kitchen Etc search box. This is a
wonderful place to shop with thousands of kitchen tools. One of the nets
largest kitchen stores.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/Gifts/

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
GIVE A "WING" TOAST TO DEMOCRACY..
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Just remember when you serve these you are displaying the country's
colors with red chicken, and the white and blue that the blue cheese
dressing represents. (Perhaps here we should give credit to the French,
for inventing Bleu Cheese, and to the Spanish-Americans for the Tabasco
sauce! Another great example of our multi-cultured country!)

This is a good hands-on meal and one that is truly satisfying. Enjoy
these "Wings of the free" as you watch a ball game or share good
conversation ...and give a toast to democracy and the American dream.
Warmest Regards
Stephen Block
step-@kitchenproject.com
http://www.ktichenproject.com

Susan's Daily Tips , for the Home
send a blank email to
sus-@kitchenproject.com
featured now on 3 web sites!

Also check out this site here, for wonderful recipes ,tips and crafts in
the kitchen
http://www.practicalkitchen.com

TO SUBSCRIBE OR UNSUBSCRIBE TO THIS PUBLICATION:
Send a blank email to step-@kitchenproject.com with SUBSCRIBE or
UNSUBSCRIBE written
on it. Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me
your comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time....COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with