Welcome Guest!
 Tasty "Bites"
Tasty Bites, Christmas Recipes; Vol. 3 # 9  Stephen Block
 Dec 14, 2001 11:11 PST
<><><>Tasty Bites<><> <> From the Kitchen Project<><><>
Dec. 14, 2001 vol.. 3 #9

FESTIVE CHRISTMAS GIFTS TO MAKE:
From Cake in a Cup to Chocolate Melting Spoons to Spiced hot pads.

WHAT IS THE HISTORY OF EGG NOG ? Some good recipes!

WINTER SOUPS: Crock Pot 4-bean Chili soup.

STOLLEN , traditional German Christmas Bread.

GERMAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES

Hello! Put on some coffee or tea, and lets talk about food.
(This newsletter is sent only to those who request
it. To have your address immediately deleted from
our subscriber list send any email saying unsubscribe to:
Step-@kitchenproject.com, )

<><><> FESTIVE CHRISTMAS GIFTS<><><>
'Tis a Gift to be simple ...take simple ideas and expand on them.

For Christmas gifts. I give German Christmas Cookies and Stollen (German
Christmas Bread), as these are traditions in our family. But this year I
wil try some new ideas: My son and his intellectual but unassuming
college mates are into such ethnic foods as Sushi. So I will get him a
cutting board, and on that I will put some Nori and some Cal Rose rice,
along with a rolling mat, some pickled ginger and some recipe cards.
Then I will shop for ecological wrapping paper and wrap up all these
items. If he wants, he can do a Sushi party with his friends while they
have a stimulating conversation about world affairs and Calculus.

GERMAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES
http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/german_christmas_baking.html

GERMAN CHRISTMAS BREAD,
Stollen or Christstollen ...recipe with pictures of how to make it, step
by step.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/stollen/index.htm

CHRISTMAS CLIP ART

How about some clip art? Pictures will dress up any recipe or email that
you can send to people, or if you want to make recipe cards for gifts.
http://www.kitchenproject.com /clipart/christmas

OTHER GIFTS to make:
http://www.kitchenproject.com/Gifts/

Spiced Hot Pads
Chocolate Spoons
Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
English Lemon Curd
Roasted Chestnuts

CAKE IN A CUP

As a Chef, I don't usually get into cutesy things as ...cake in a
cup, but if you are looking for a gift that is simple and fun, you may
want to try this. It's so simple for kids or adults to make, and there
is a real element of surprise when you open the microwave after a few
minutes and see a perfect-looking moist cake that has puffed up above
the rim of a coffee cup.

I originally got this email from a lady from the "Ask the Web Chef"
site ...asking if I have a recipe for "cake in a cup". I searched and
found this recipe, which I thought would be kind of a silly thing; but I
sent it to her. I'd like to hear from her to know whether it worked well
for her.

However, I tried it and it was quite good. And gave me a bit of culinary
amusement, as well as a neat trick to show people. Here's the recipe:
Cake in a Cup

1 cake mix any flavor
*1 (4 serving size) instant pudding mix (not sugar free), any flavor
(Use a pudding mix that would compliment the cake mix.for example,
Chocolate pudding would go well with German Chocolate cake mix.)

Place dry cake mix and dry pudding mix into a large bowl and blend well
with a whisk. This will be about 4-4 1/2 cups combined dry mix and will
make 8-9 coffee cup cake mixes.

Place 1/2-cup dry mix into a sandwich bag. Place mix into a corner of
the bag and tie it there with a twist tie. Continue making packets until
all your dry mix is used.

For frosting,
For German chocolate cake, include flaked coconut in a separate bag with
instructions to sprinkle it over the frosted cake. Place the glaze mix
ingredients into a sandwich bag and tie into corner of bag. Label this
bag
"glaze mix" and attach it to the other bag with a twist tie. A
coffee-mug that will hold at least 1 1/2 cips and has no metallic
decorations on it is a great "package"
for the cake and frosting mixes, and also serves as a Mirowave-safe
baking container.
For more information on this recipe go here.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/Gifts/#cake

Edible Christmas Gifts

These edible Christmas Gifts are the perfect creations for
those small presents! Give them in jars that you, or your
children, have decorated just for that special someone.
http://www.practicalkitchen.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump.cgi?ID=2336

<><><>Tasty Bites<><><> WHAT IS THE HISTORY OF EGG NOG?<><><>
(From the Food History Project)
http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/

Ever wondered what the word "nog" means ? does it come from Noggin ??
satisfy your curiosity and get some recipes on making real old fashioned
egg nog here.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/eggnoghistory.htm

CLASSIC COOKED EGG NOG
1 1/2 quarts or 12 (1/2-cup) servings
6 Large California Fresh Eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
1 quart milk*, divided into 2-cup portions
1 teaspoon vanilla
Garnishes or Stir-Ins, optional
In large saucepan, beat together eggs, sugar and salt, if desired. Stir
in 2 cups of the milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until
mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and
reaches at least 160F. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 2 cups milk
and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, several
hours or overnight. Just before serving, pour into bowl or pitcher.
Garnish or add stir-ins, if faster preparation, heat milk until very
warm before stirring milk
into eggs and sugar.

MICROWAVE METHOD:
In 2-quart liquid measure or bowl, beat together eggs, sugar
and salt, if desired, until thoroughly blended. Set aside. In l-quart
liquid measure or bowl, cook 2 cups of the milk on full power until
bubbles form at edges, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir into egg mixture. Cook
on 50% power until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a
thin film and reaches at least 160F., about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in
remaining 2 cups milk and vanilla. Continue as above.
NOTE: All microwave cooking times are based on a full power output of
600 to 700 watts. For a lower wattage oven, allow more time.

GARNISHES AND STIR-INS:
Chocolate curls
Cinnamon Sticks
Chocolate Curls
Brandy or flavored Liqueur
Sherbet
Candy cane sticks
Ground nutmeg

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS AROUND THE WORLD
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/1729/christmas.html

<><><>Tasty Bites<><><> Food Web<><><>

Memories of a Polish Christmas Eve Dinner
Also, how to make Stilton cheese twists .
One of the best food ezines on the web ..and FREE!
http://www.foodweb.com/

<><><>Tasty Bites<><><> Recipes from a German Grandma<><><>

<>Tasty Bites<><><> Vanilla Beans for Christmas <><><>
Now is a good time to buy Vanilla beans and make some Vanilla Extract,
Vanilla Sugar or Kaluha for Christmas. To find Vanilla beans and recipes
go here,
http://www.thewanderingchef.com/vanilla/Vanilla_Bean_Page.html

We would so like to for you to be a part of this recipe discussion and
get
to meet you.
To get started go here,
http://kitchenproject.com/WorldRecipes/index.htm\

If you don't have Pal Talk , first download this program
http://www.paltalk.com

Here is a recipe from one of our guests. Her nickname is Center of
Gravity.
We asked her what she liked to cook and she said she enjoys making soup.
Here is a family recipe of hers.

LINDY"S 4-BEAN CHILI

Submitted by centerOFgravity

ingredients
1 bottle tomato juice
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 lb. ground chuck (browned)
1 cup of beef broth ( more if u like it real soupy)
1 large onion diced
2 cans red kidney beans drained
2 cans northern white beans drained
2 cans of refried black beans
2 small can of baked beans in tomato sauce
spices
chili spice........depends on your taste buds
sea salt
pepper
onion salt

thicken with potato flakes if needed
up to one cup
when all has simmered for as long as needed ????
I use a crock pot
so all day is good at a low temp
then I top with shredded mild cheddar cheese
and some crushed tortila chips ..............ENJOY
Back

on
it.
Please forward this to any friends who enjoy cooking, and send me your
comments, (good or bad) contributions, and recipes.
Thank you, and until next time....COOK SOMETHING GOOD, and share it with
us.