Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (01/05/03)  Joe Westerberg
 Jan 05, 2003 13:00 PST
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 3 NO. 1

"A newsletter for veterans of the USS Horne"

=====================================

Inside This Issue:
01/05/02

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: REUNION NEWS
3: DOMAIN NEWS
4: ASK JOE
5: HORNE STUFF GIVE-AWAYS
6: HORNE SPOTLIGHT: PHOTOS CONSTRUCTION
7: NAUTICAL TERM OF THE MONTH: TOE THE LINE
8: UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
=====================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

The USS Horne Web site is now two years and one month old. We've had
more than 50,000 visits to the site since 12/01/00. We now have 566 crew
members signed into the online decklog. Currently we have:

1 Admiral
4 Horne COs
55 Officers
53 Plankowners
109 Chiefs
511 Enlisted

92 (16.3%) of the listed shipmates have paid dues. If you would like to
support the USS Horne, please visit the dues page:
www.usshorne.net/dues.htm

=====================================

2: REUNION NEWS

Reunion Committee:
President: Rufus Reaves (onboard 1970-1972)
Treasurer: Lou Maggi (onboard 1975-1978)
Mark Babcock (onboard 1989-1994)
Howard Burdett (onboard 1970-1974)
Ronald Montgomery (onboard 1972-1976)
Joe Westerberg (onboard 1989-1991)

HOTEL RESERVATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED:
CONFIRMED REUNION DATES:
SEE: www.USSHorne.net/reunion2003.htm for details.

Reunion Committee President Rufus Reaves has done it again. He has
negotiated a great deal on car rental for USS Reunion attendees. Make a
few calls and you'll see Rufus has secured some very low prices that
can't be beat.

Compact Car: Daily: $23 - Weekly: $138
Mid Size Car: Daily: $26 - Weekly: $156
Full Size Car: Daily: $32 - Weekly: $192

We'll have more information on car rental prices soon. We will soon have
information on the total cost of the reunion package, this will include
all reunion activities like the charter harbor cruise, bus
transportation, banquet dinner and more. Visit
www.usshorne.net/reunion2003.htm for the latest reunion news.

=====================================

3: DOMAIN NEWS

By now, you have all hopefully learned about the status of USSHorne.com.
Due to pending litigation regarding this domain name dispute, I am not
at liberty to discuss this any further. (this newsletter is published on
the Web) Suffice to say I have a good attorney specializing in
intellectual property issues who is working on the case. He has capped
his attorney fees at $500. If you would like to help with these
expenses, just visit the Ship's Store and buy something. I should be
able to pay all legal expenses from Ship's Store profits in 2003 and
eventually return USSHorne.com to it's rightful owner. Speaking of
which, if you haven't already done so, check out the 2003 USS Horne
Calendars.

www.usshorne.net/store

They're very cool and the 8"x10" photos are suitable for framing. The
Calendars will only be sold through the end of January.

Meanwhile, www.USSHorne.net is working fine. Traffic to the site has
actually INCREASED over the past month. And 20 new shipmates have
checked into the decklog since the domain name change a month ago. Just
FYI, you can also reach the Horne Website by visiting www.USSHorne.org,
www.USSHorne.us, www.DLG30.com and www.CG30.com.

If you are surfing the Web and come across a USSHorne.com address,
please right the Webmaster and let them know that URL has now changed to
USSHorne.net.

=====================================

4: ASK JOE

A new feature in the USS Horne newsletter. If you have a Military, Navy
or Horne related question, email it to me, I'll try to find an answer
for you. If I can't... I'll post the question in the next newsletter and
see if other shipmates might have the answer.

Our question for January 2003 is from Jeff Ransom SM2 (1987-1990):

Q:    How would one go about requesting a "Certificate of Discharge"?

A:    Copies of most military and medical records on file at the
National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), including the DD Form 214,
Report of Separation (or equivalent), can be made available upon
request. Veterans and next-of-kin of deceased veterans have the same
rights to full access to the record. For more information visit:
http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_louis/military_personnel_records/veterans_and_next_of_kin.html

If you have a question, email it to ask-@usshorne.net.

=====================================
5: KITCHEN TABLE GANG

Help benefit veterans hospitalized in VA hospitals. The non-profit
Kitchen Table Gang Trust has published the 12th Annual Veterans
Celebrity Cook Book. The Cook Book features recipes from:

Laura Bush, Mrs. Tommy Franks, Lynne Cheney, Julie Eisenhower, Gen.
Colin L. Powell, Barbara Bush (her 3rd year of supporting us), Mr. John
(Cindy) McCain, Mrs. John (Anna) Glenn, Mrs. Todd M. (Lisa) Beamer, Mrs.
Hugh (Carolyn) Shelton, Jeb Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Hogan, Norma
Bates, Dr. Kathy Sweezey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Antonio
Banderas (his cook), Jim Carrey, Jodie Foster, Pamela Lee Anderson,
Angela Bassett, James Belushi, Keanu Reeves, Aidan Quinn, William
Shatner, Pat Wayne (John Wayne's son), Kevin Costner, Katy Couric, Halle
Berry, Steven Seagal, Care Blanchett, Brad Pitt, Ethel Kennedy, Carolina
Kennedy, Lady Bird Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton, Tom Cruise, Steven
Spielberg, George Lucas, Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, Will Smith,
Cameron Diaz, Al Pacino, Co. David H. Hackworth, Clint Eastwood, Mel
Gibson, Harrison Ford, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Michelle
Pfeiffer, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Catherine Zeta-Jones,
Cameron Diaz, Ashley Judd, Angelina Jolie, Adam Sandler, Carmel Electra,
Denzel Washington, Jennifer Lopez, George Clooney, Will Smith, Tom
Hanks, Sylvester Stallone, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Robert DeNiro, Fabian
Forte, Salma Hayek, Russell Crowe, John Travolta, Jim Carrey, Jenny
McCarthy, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Ricky Martin, The Rock, Mark McGwire,
Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jordan, Dolly
Parton, Jackie Chan, Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Elle McPherson,
Liza Minnelli, Raquel Welch, Joy Philbin, Kevin Spacey, Samuel L.
Jackson, Dustin Hoffman, Kurt Russell, Helen Hunt, James Arness, Frankie
Avalon, Dan Aykroyd, Gen. Chuck Yeager, Henry Winkler, Vanna White, Tom
Selleck, William Shatner, Martin Sheen, Steve Martin, James Caan, Chevy
Chase, Bill Cosby, Tony Danza, Danny Devito, Robert Duvall, Rob Reiner,
Burt Reynolds, Michael Douglas, Emimio Estevez, Sally Field, Eton John,
Diane Keaton, Jay Leno, Gloria Gaither, David Letterman, Jack Nicholson,
Ryan O'Neal, Sean Penn, Angie Dickinson, and Nicholas Cage.

The cookbook is only $10. For more information and to order, visit
www.kitchentablegang.org/cookbook/

=====================================

5: JANUARY HORNE STUFF GIVE-AWAYS

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE JANUARY WINNERS:

Horne Decommissioning Crystal Tankard:
WINNER: THOMAS SMITH, SMC 1974-75

Horne Decommissioning Crystal Tankard:
WINNER: RICHARD J. THOMPSON, FN 1967-1968 - PLANKOWNER

Official USS Horne Ballcap (DLG):
WINNER: DAVID WHITE, MM2 1970-1974

2003 USS Horne Calendar:
WINNER: CHARLES MULFORD, RD2 1966-1970 PLANKOWNER

USS Horne Wall Clock (DLG):
WINNER: ROBERT DEARWESTER, RD3 1969-1970

To claim your prize, send me your snail mail address: ic-@usshorne.net.

These give-aways are my way of saying thank you to those of you who have
paid your USSHorne.com dues. To be eligible for Horne Stuff Randum
Giveaways, just pay your dues. Currently more than 16% of the
crewmembers listed on the decklog have paid their $10 dues. If you
haven't paid yet, visit the dues page:

http://www.usshorne.com/dues.htm

THANK YOU!

=====================================

6:    HORNE SPOTLIGHT: HORNE PHOTOS: CONSTRUCTION

Take a look at all the fantastic construction photos sent to me by many
different Horne Shipmates. These photos provide a rare look at Horne's
creation from the first keel section being laid in Hunter's Point Dry
Dock #2 on December 12, 1962 to a great pierside shot taken in 1966.
Take a trip back in time!

http://www.usshorne.net/horne/photos1.htm

======================================

7: NAUTICAL TERM OF THE MONTH: "TOE THE LINE"

This is an interesting one. I always heard this one but thought it was
"tow the line" meaning you pull your share of the line. But that's
wrong. It's actually "TOE the line."

The space between each pair of deck planks in a wooden ship was filled
with a packing material called "oakum" and then sealed with a mixture of
pitch and tar. The result, from afar, was a series of parallel lines a
half-foot or so apart, running the length of the deck. Once a week, as a
rule, usually on Sunday, a warship's crew was ordered to fall in at
quarters -- that is, each group of men into which the crew was divided
would line up in formation in a given area of the deck. To insure a neat
alignment of each row, the Sailors were directed to stand with their
toes just touching a particular seam. Another use for these seams was
punitive. The youngsters in a ship, be they ship's boys or student
officers, might be required to stand with their toes just touching a
designated seam for a length of time as punishment for some minor
infraction of discipline, such as talking or fidgeting at the wrong
time. A tough captain might require the miscreant to stand there, not
talking to anyone, in fair weather or foul, for hours at a time.
Hopefully, he would learn it was easier and more pleasant to conduct
himself in the required manner rather than suffer the punishment. From
these two uses of deck seams comes our cautionary word to obstreperous
youngsters to "toe the line."

SOURCE: http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/trivia03.htm

=====================================

8: A NOTE ABOUT EMAIL ADDRESSES

I recently sent out emails to everybody on the decklog using the email
address posted on the decklog. I found that more than 10% of these
emails are now out of date. Please check your listing on the decklog and
make sure your correct email address is posted. Also, if you change your
email address... you can use the link at the bottom of this newsletter
to unsubscribe the OLD email address and then re-subscribe using the NEW
email address by visiting http://www.usshorne.net/newsletter.htm. This
is the only way to change email addresses for the Newsletter.

So... whenever you change email addresses, you must do two things:

1: Send your new email address to me: ic-@usshorne.net
2: Subscribe to the newsletter with your new email address by visiting
www.usshorne.net/newsletter.htm.

Remember...

SUNDAY NIGHT LIVE CHATS IN USSHORNE.NET IN THE COMMUNITY SECTION (6PM
PACIFIC)

So long for now!

Joe Westerberg
Former IC1(SW)