Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (06/18/03)  Joe Westerberg
 Jun 18, 2003 19:35 PDT

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 3 NO. 2

"A newsletter for veterans of the USS Horne"

*****SPECIAL REUNION EDITION*****
=====================================

Inside This Issue:
06/18/03

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: REUNION PACKAGE PRICES ANNOUNCED
3: MEET YOUR REUNION COMMITTEE
4: REUNION BANQUET
5: REUNION DINNER CRUISE
6: REUNION GOODIES
7: REUNION HOSPITALITY ROOM
8: TRAVEL AND LODGING
9: HORNE GIVE-AWAYS
10: HORNE STORE
11: A WORD ABOUT EMAIL ADDRESSES

=====================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

The USS Horne Web site is now 30 months old. We've had more than 62,000
visits to the site since 12/01/00. We now have 640 crew members signed
into the online decklog. Currently we have:

1 Admiral
4 Horne COs
68 Officers
68 Plankowners
121 Chiefs
567 Enlisted

113 (17.6%) of the listed shipmates have paid dues. Thank you!
Remember... If you know someone who served in Horne, and they're not
listed on the decklog, forward this newsletter to them.

=====================================

2: REUNION PACKAGE PRICES ANNOUNCED

After months of negotiations, 6 Reunion Committee Meetings in San Diego
and hundreds of hours of planning, the Horne Reunion Committee has begun
accepting orders for the 2003 USS Horne Reunion Packages.
===============
SHIPMATE: $150
GUEST: $130
===============
A detailed explanation of both Reunion Packages is discussed below and
is also posted on the USSHorne.net Website.
http://www.USSHorne.net/reunion2003.htm

=====================================

3: MEET THE REUNION COMMITTEE

Reunion Committee:
President: Rufus Reaves (onboard 1970-1972)
Treasurer: Lou Maggi (onboard 1975-1978)
Howard Burdett (onboard 1970-1974)
Ronald Montgomery (onboard 1972-1976)
Joe Westerberg (onboard 1989-1991)

The Reunion Committee has been working hard to make the upcoming Reunion
a success. Committee members have spent several hours sending out
reunion notices to each shipmate listed on the Decklog. I'd like to
briefly introduce you to the Reunion Committee Members and let you know
some of the other things we've been working on since April of 2002.

RUFUS REAVES - PRESIDENT
EMCM(SS) 1970-1972
Even though he served the majority of his Navy Career on Subs... Rufus
has a fondness for Horne and her crew like no other ship/boat in the
fleet. Rufus has been busy negotiating prices on everything from hotel
rooms to rental cars to name tags. His experience with the recent USS
Sargo reunion (see www.ssn583.com) has been invaluable and has helped
keep the price of the reunion extremely reasonable. Rufus has, among
other things, negotiated the $99 room rate at the Town & Country Resort.
(This can't be beat!) He has also used his experience to negotiate the
nuts and bolts of reunion activities... like the hospitality room...
(see below) drinks and refreshments... hotel parking... bus
transportation and more. And he's done all this without making a single
joke about Horne being a "target". Special thanks to Rufus.

LOU MAGGI - TREASURER
EM3 (1975-1978)
Lou has jumped through a lot of legal hoops for the Reunion Committee.
He's set up a bank account for the Committee, has worked his way through
a lot of IRS red tape to successfully make the USS Horne Reunion
Committee a 501(c)non profit organization. He's also made arrangements
for us to have a photographer at the reunion. And he's opened a PO Box
for the Committee. And to think... his work as treasurer is just
beginning. Thank you Lou.

HOWARD BURDETT
OSCM (1970-1974)
Howard's work includes spending a lot of time at the computer keyboard
posting Reunion Notices on various Navy related Websites including Naval
Affairs. He continues to help spread the word about the Reunion and his
efforts are appreciated.

RON MONTGOMERY
OSC (1972-1976)
Ron's reunion activities include researching and tracking down a maker
for the USS Horne Reunion Commemorative Coin that will be included in
the "Shipmate's Package" at the reunion. Thanks to his efforts we have
found a coin-maker that offers a quality product at a reasonable price.

JOE WESTERBERG
IC1(SW) (1989-1991)
I've been busy with the Website, the coin artwork, the welcome aboard
pamphlet and will be designing the Reunion Cruise Book.

=================================
4: REUNION BANQUET

The USS Horne Reunion Banquet will mark the official kick-off for the
reunion. It will be held on the evening of September 29th at the Town &
Country Resort and Convention Center. It will include several featured
speakers including Horne's first skipper. Admiral Stansfield Turner will
tell us what is was like setting Horne on her 27 year voyage. The
banquet menu will be as follows.

SALAD:
A selection of greens topped with tomato, cucumbers and Julienne carrots
served with choice of Ranch, Italian or Vinaigrette dressing.

DINNER ENTREE:
FISH: Your choice of Herb Crusted Halibut / Sea Bass folded in a
seasoned
herb and garlic crust, then backed to a tender, juicy finish.
Accompanied by
a seasoned Rice Medley
---or---
BEEF: Grilled California Try-Tip, marinated and sliced. Served with
freshly-made, creamy, garlic mashed potatoes. Served with herb au jus.
---or---
VEG: A vegetarian Lasagna will also be available upon request.

DESSERT:
New York Style Marble Cheesecake accompanied by a fresh berry sauce

=====================================

5: REUNION DINNER CRUISE

The Reunion Bay Dinner Cruise will no doubt bring back a lot of
memories. This three hour charter cruise will depart during the late
afternoon daylight on either the evening of the 9/30 or 10/1(depending
on the availability/scheduling of a Navy Ship Visit) to allow us to view
some of the spectacular sites San Diego Bay has to offer. Then, as the
sun begins to set and the downtown San Diego lights come to life, dinner
will be served. Dinner selections will include the following:

SALAD:
Traditional Caesar salad with Herb Croutons Fresh baked French bread
with
Creamy Butter.

DINNER ENTREE:
FISH: Fresh Atlantic Salmon, Encrusted with Horseradish, Parmesan Cheese
and
Bread Crumbs.
Served with a whole grain Mustard Cream Sauce
---or---
BEEF: A generous cut of Angus Top Sirloin grilled to medium and brushed
with
roasted garlic butter
---or---
CHICKEN: Oven Roasted Breast of Chicken stuffed with Spinach and
Artichoke,
served with a Roasted
Red Bell Pepper Cream Sauce
---or---
VEG: Vegetable Lasagna featuring Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, Ricotta and
Mozzarella Cheeses layered between ribbons of Pasta, Topped with
roasted
Red Bell Pepper Cream Sauce

All Entrees are served with Seasonal Oven Roasted Vegetables and Toasted
Orzo Pasta

DESSERT:
Sweet and Creamy chilled Crème Brulee flavored with Kailua and topped
with
Crispy Caramelized Brown Sugar (some of this stuff is too fancy to spell
correctly)

also

Fresh roasted coffee, a boarding glass of champagne, no host bar,
coffee,
tea and soft drinks.

=================================

6: REUNION WELCOME GOODIES

Upon check-in, persons who purchase the $150 Shipmate Package will each
receive a 16 Page Welcome Aboard Pamphlet, a Horne Reunion Commemorative
Coin, Reunion Name Tag and approximately 6-8 weeks after the reunion,
they'll receive a 24 Page 2003 Reunion Cruise Book complete with photos
of reunion attendees. In addition to the Banquet and Dinner Cruise,
we'll be scheduling a Navy Ship visit. This will be dependent on ship
availability and will also depend on the current Homeland Security
Status. The reunion
package prices also include Bus Transportation to all off site (away
from the Town & Country Resort) activities.

===================================

7:     HOSPITALITY ROOM

From the very first Reunion Committee Meeting, Rufus has been adamant
about having a Horne Hospitality room at the Town & Country where
shipmates can hang out and just swap sea stories throughout the reunion.
His efforts have paid off. We'll have a ground floor, poolside room in
the Regency Tower where the USS Horne block of rooms is located.
Refreshments (cocktails, beer, soft drinks, coffee) will be served in
this room between 10AM to 10PM throughout the reunion except during
scheduled reunion events. Which brings up another important item.

WE NEED VOLUNTEER BARTENDERS
If you are interested in manning the Hospitality Room Bar for a couple
hours, please contact Rufus. HorneR-@webtv.net

=================================

8: LODGING AND RENT-A-CAR

The $150 and $130 Horne Reunion Packages do NOT include travel to and
from San Diego, Lodging or Rental Car. But... the committee has made
special arrangements for Horne Reunion Attendees to receive special
discount rates for Lodging and Car Rental.

LODGING:
TOWN & COUNTRY RESORT AND CONVENTION CENTER
REUNION HEADQUARTERS AND BANQUET SITE
500 HOTEL CIRCLE NORTH, SAN DIEGO
800-772-8527
You can reserve a room for the Reunion by calling 1 800 772 8527. Your
credit card will be charged
for one night only. You may cancel up to 72 hours before check-in time
and receive a full refund. You will be charged for the balance of your
room charges at check out. Room rates are as follows:

1 or 2 people: $99 per night
3 people: $119 per night
4 people: $139 per night

SEE REUNION INFORMATION PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS
http://www.USSHorne.net/reunion2003.htm

RENTAL CAR:
PAYLESS CAR RENTAL:
929 W. LAUREL ST. SAN DIEGO
619-260-6363
SPECIAL HORNE DAILY AND WEEKLY RENTAL RATES. RESERVATIONS ARE STRONGLY
RECOMMENDED. ASK FOR THE SPECIAL USS HORNE REUION RATES. SEE REUNION
INFORMATION PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS
http://www.USSHorne.net/reunion2003.htm

=====================================

9: HORNE GIVEAWAYS

I still have many Horne related items to give away. And I still have a
few items that need to be sent to winners. I'll be taking care of this
over the next several weeks. Stay Tuned.

=====================================
10: HORNE STORE

Please visit the Ship's store. Proceeds (aprox $1 per item) will help
keep USSHorne.net afloat.
http://www.usshorne.com/store/

using the NEW email address by visiting
http://www.usshorne.com/newsletter.htm. This is the only way to change
email addresses for the Newsletter.

Also... don't forget to email me your new email address so I can update
the Horne Decklog. About 10% of the email addresses on the Horne Decklog
are no longer valid and it's very time consuming to track down shipmates
to get their correct email address. Please verify your email address is
correct on the Decklog.

=====================================

That's all for this issue. The entire reunion committee continues to
work hard to make the 1st ever USS Horne reunion a success. We hope you
will all try to make it. Judging from the email response and the number
of room already reserved at the Town & Country, it looks like we're
going to have a great turnout. But we look forward to meeting YOU so we
hope you can make it.

So long for now!

Joe Westerberg
Former IC1(SW)