Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (12/01/03)  Joe Westerberg
 Dec 01, 2003 22:21 PST

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 3 NO. 9
"A newsletter for veterans of USS Horne."
=====================================

"Without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with
it, everything honorable and glorious."

-- President George Washington, 15 November 1781 to Marquis de Lafayette

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 3 YEARS OLD
======================================
Inside This Issue:
12/01/03

1: WHAT'S NEW
2: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
3: STREAMING VIDEO
4: MAXIMUM EXPOSURE
5: REUNION CRUISE BOOK
6: DECEMBER SHIP'S STORE SPECIAL
7: HORNE BALLCAPS
8: SOUND OFF AMERICA
9: DXFM
10: SPAM ARREST
11: GREAT PHOTO

======================================

1: WHAT’S NEW?

The USS Horne Website is, as of today, officially 3 years old. Much has
been accomplished in 3 years. Besides having a fantastic reunion, we
have had more than 76 thousand visits to USSHorne.net and we now have
737 shipmates listed in the online decklog.

86 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
651 ENLISTED
138 CHIEFS
81 PLANKOWNERS

93 Shipmates (12.6%) have paid up-to-date dues
52 Shipmates (7%) are Lifetime members.
For more information on dues, please visit www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

2: NEW LIFERS

Thanks to all who have paid dues... and a special thanks to all new
USSHorne.net Lifetime Members.
The following shipmates paid lifetime dues in November.

Ernie Barchard-BT3-1973-1976
Bart Bechtel-QM2-1967-1969
Ed Bell–EMCM(SW)–1982-1984
Rudolf Bredderman–Commander–1966-1968-PLANKOWNER
Joe Goheen–DKSN–1988-1991
Larry Goolsby-STG2-1966-1969-PLANKOWNER
John Hersey-BTCS-1973-1978
Sergio Marquez-BT3-1966-1969-PLANKOWNER
Virgil Parodi–CWO2–1966-1968-PLANKOWNER

Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible. Your support is very much
appreciated!

http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

3: STREAMING VIDEO

Thanks to all the generous support from you, USSHorne.net now has
Streaming Video of Horne in action. Nearly 25 minutes worth of Video is
now posted for your enjoyment:

Can’t Touch This – 1990 – Life on Horne! – 4min 18sec (CAUTION: MAY
CAUSE REENLISTMENT)
Underway Replenishment – 1991 – Persian Gulf War Replenishment with
Missouri (BB-63) 5min 52sec
In The Navy – 1991 – Desert Storm Deployment set to music – 3min 35sec
Mine Games – 1991 – Horne IDs and Destroys mines during Desert Storm –
6min 20sec
Shoot – 1990 – Missile Shoots, 5” Gun Shoots and more. – 4min 40sec

My records indicate that these streaming video files have already been
viewed more than 676 times since November 5th. You too can view these
videos in the Horne Multimedia Section;

http://www.usshorne.net/multimedia.htm

NOTE: Windows Media Player Required – Download Free in the Multimedia
section

======================================

4: MAXIMUM EXPOSURE

Some of you may have seen it. Horne was featured in a Nationally
Televised Reality Video show called Maximum Exposure. See:
http:///www.maximumexp.com/

Horne’s 1991 Desert Storm Mine Encounter was the subject of the feature.
It first aired in 1995 and has been shown worldwide on numerous Max Ex
re-runs.

If you missed it, never fear. I finally managed to snag a copy on my
TiVo and am in the process of getting it converted to streaming video. I
will soon post it in the Multimedia Section.

======================================

5: REUNION CRUISE BOOK

Everybody who attended the 2003 Horne Reunion will soon be receiving the
Reunion Cruise Book. I’m still working on this and the Reunion Committee
will meet in the coming weeks to help identify some of the folks
captured on film. There’s still time to send Reunion Photos, and we
would very much love to hear your thoughts about the reunion. Please
take a minute to answer the following question and email it to me.

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE PART OF THE REUNION AND WHY?

Send your answers to ic-@USSHorne.net. Selected Answers will be
published in the Cruise Book and will forever become a part of Horne
History.

======================================

6: DECEMBER SHIP’S STORE SPECIAL

Well... I screwed up! I ordered too many Horne Reunion Desk clocks and
they’re taking up too much space in my closet. But my loss is your gain.
DURING THE MONTH OF DECEMBER... place any order of $20 or more from the
Horne Ship’s Store and you’ll receive a Horne Reunion Deck Clock
absolutely FREE! (while supplies last) These are true collectors items
and when they’re gone... they’ll be gone for good... so get yours today
by simply placing any order of $20 or more from the Horne Ship’s Store.
See the clock and place your orders at:

http://www.usshorne.net/store

======================================

7: HORNE BALLCAPS

Speaking of the Horne Ship’s Store... USS Horne Ballcaps are still
available... in stock and ready to ship! But supplies are limited. We’ve
sold out of the CG-30 with Scrambled Eggs version but still have plenty
of the DLG-30 version with or without Scrambled Eggs and CG-30 without
Scrambled Eggs. They’re only $15 bucks each... (add $1 for scrambled
eggs) and that includes priority shipping. That’s a good deal...
especially when you consider others are selling Horne Ballcaps for TWICE
AS MUCH PLUS shipping. See for yourself. Just visit:
http://www.historyshopping.com/forms/shopping/*ws4d-db-query-QuickShow?Capcg30

Buy Horne Ballcaps in the Horne Ship’s Store... IN STOCK and ready to
ship!

http://www.usshorne.net/store

======================================

8: GO NAVY!

Larry Yano (sent me the link to this excellent Navy-Marine slide show
set to music from the Naval Academy Glee Club and created by RMCS (SS)
Rocky Chaplin. CRANK UP YOUR VOLUME and click on the link below!

http://www.familytorn.net/navy-marines.htm

======================================

9: DXFM

Are you a DXer? Do you even know what DXing is? If not... you probably
won’t find this site too interesting... but if you like to sit hour
after hour and tune in distant radio and TV stations, this site is a
must. So why do I mention it? Well... my brother is a big time DXer and
has created a Website to share his FM and TV DXing experiences with
other DXers. So if you’re a DXer... check it out! If not... you’ll
probably think these guys are crazy... but don’t worry... they KNOW
they’re crazy.

http://www.dxfm.com

======================================

10: SPAM ARREST

As mentioned in the last newsletter, I’ve started using an anti-spam
service called Spam Arrest. It has cut my spam down from nearly a
thousand spams a day to 2 or 3 a week.

As a result of me using this service, anybody sending mail to
IC-@USSHorne.net (or any of my other addresses) will automatically
receive an email asking them to enter a code also displayed in the
email. Once they enter the code... all their emails are delivered and
they never have to enter any codes again. This DRASTICALLY reduces spam
because most spam is not sent by real people... it’s sent by automated
computer programs. It’s fantastic and if you are receiving too much spam
in your email, I highly recommend you try the 30 day free trial. No
credit card information is required. If you like it... you can purchase
it for around $3 a month or less. Visit:

http://spamarrest.com/affl?1148103

======================================

11: GREAT PHOTO

Plankowner Ed Young recently sent me a great photo of Horne in the
Tonkin Gulf in 1968. Take a look! It’s makes great wallpaper for your
computer too. Just right click on the photo and select “Save as
Background”.

http://www.usshorne.net/images/youngpics/HorneTonkinGulf.jpg

That's all for this issue... thanks for reading... thank you for all
your support, happy Holidays and we'll talk again next year!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net