Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (01/02/04)  Joe Westerberg
 Jan 02, 2004 22:44 PST

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 4 NO. 1
"A newsletter for veterans of USS Horne."
=====================================

"A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of
peace."

-- President Theodore Roosevelt, 2 December 1902, second annual message
to Congress.

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 3 YEARS AND 1 MONTH OLD
======================================
Inside This Issue:
1/02/04

1: WHAT'S NEW
2: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
3: DEFEND AMERICA
4: HERO MILES
5: MILITARY INFO
6: REUNION CRUISE BOOK
7: SHIP'S STORE SPECIAL
8: HIGH SPEED VESSEL

======================================

1: WHAT’S NEW?

Happy New Year! The USS Horne Website is now 37 months old. We now have
741 shipmates listed in the online decklog.

86 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
656 ENLISTED
139 CHIEFS
81 PLANKOWNERS

88 Shipmates (11.8%) have paid up-to-date dues
56 Shipmates (7.5%) are Lifetime members.
For more information on dues, please visit www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

2: NEW LIFERS

Thanks to all who have paid dues... and a special thanks to all new
USSHorne.net Lifetime Members. The following shipmates paid lifetime
dues in December.

Dean Freeberg - LNC(SW/AW) - 1990-1993
Steven Sleeter - RM3 - 1970-1973
Rene Leveillee - RD2/OS2 - 1969-1973
Lou Schwartz - LT - 1986 - 1989

Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible. Your support is very much
appreciated!

http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

3: DEFEND AMERICA

I recently came across a pretty informative DOD Website relative to the
war on terror. I have found many items of interest that do not seem to
make it into the "main stream" headlines. Take a look.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/

======================================

4: HERO MILES

In some ways, "Support The Troops" has become little more than a bumper
sticker cliché. Hero Miles lets you really show your support for the
troops by donating your frequent flier miles so troops on leave from
Iraq and Afghanistan. Just visit the site, click on your airline and
submit your frequent flier miles. Read more at Hero Miles.

http://www.heromiles.org/

======================================

5: MILITARY INFO

You can find a wealth of Military and Veteran related Info at
MilitaryInfo.com. You'll find information on Home Loan Assistance,
Reserve and Guard Programs, Education Benefits, Health Benefits &
Services, Compensation & Pensions, Burial Benefits, Locating Buried
Vets, Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act and more.

http://www.militaryinfo.com/

======================================

6: REUNION CRUISE BOOK

Everybody who attended the 2003 Horne Reunion will soon be receiving the
Reunion Cruise Book. I’m still working on this project so there’s still
time to send any Reunion Photos you may have. We would also very much
love to hear your thoughts about the reunion. Please take a minute to
answer the following question and email it to me if you attended the
Horne Reunion.

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE PART OF THE REUNION AND WHY?

Send your answers and photos to IC-@USSHorne.net. Selected answers will
be published in the cruise book.

======================================

7: SHIP STORE SPECIAL

I still have plenty of Horne Reunion Deck Clocks so the Ship's Store
Special in still in affect. Get a free Reunion Desk Clock with any
purchase of $20 or more. See the clock and place your orders at:

http://www.usshorne.net/store

=======================================

8: HIGH SPEED VESSEL

If you haven't yet taken a look at the Navy's HSV (High Speed Vessel)
you may do so online. HSV 2 is currently on patrol in the Gulf.

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=10224
http://www.nwdc.navy.mil/HSV/ConceptHSV.asp
http://www.dcmilitary.com/marines/hendersonhall/8_46/national_news/26375-1.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2002/ConceptHSV.htm

Incidentally, HSV 2 is also the name of a sexually transmitted disease.
Something I discovered while finding the above mentioned links. Perhaps
the Navy could have come up with a different name?

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/stds/std_herpes.html

That's all for this issue... thank you for reading and Have a great new
year!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net