Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (02/12/04)  Joe Westerberg
 Feb 12, 2004 22:14 PST

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 4 NO. 2
"A newsletter for veterans of USS Horne."
=====================================

"Without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with
it, everything honorable and glorious."

-- President George Washington, 15 November 1781

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 3 YEARS AND 2 MONTH OLD
======================================
PUBLISHING NOTE: This issue is a couple weeks late. For this I am sorry.
A busy schedule has forced me to delay some activities. I'm now getting
caught up. Thank you for your patience.

Inside This Issue:
2/12/04

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: WHAT'S IN A NAME? Question
3: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
4: REUNION CRUISE BOOK
5: JOSEPHUS DANIELS REUNION
6: NEW MULTIMEDIA
7: SHOCK & AWE
8: WEB TIP
9: SHIP'S STORE SPECIAL
10: NEW DOMAINS
11: WHAT'S IN A NAME? Answer
12: SPAM ARREST

======================================

1: WHAT’S NEW?

The USS Horne Website is now 38 months old. We now have 752 shipmates
listed in the online decklog.

88 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
664 ENLISTED
140 CHIEFS
81 PLANKOWNERS

83 Shipmates (11%) have paid up-to-date dues
63 Shipmates (8.3%) are Lifetime members.
For more information on dues, please visit www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

2: WHAT'S IN A NAME?

There are 27 Ticonderoga Class Cruisers. What is the one Ticonderoga
Class Cruiser Name that does not fit with the rest of the ship names in
the 27 ship fleet? See item "11" below for the answer.

======================================

3: NEW LIFERS

Thanks to all who have paid dues... and a special thanks to all new
USSHorne.net Lifetime Members. The following shipmates paid lifetime
dues in January.

Richard Thompson - FN - 1967-1968 - PLANKOWNER
Robert Dearwester - RD3 - 1969-1970
Joe Martorelli - DS2 - 1967-1969
Harold Matthes - LCDR - 1968-1971 - MPA
BUDDY MOORE - BT2 - 1975-1976

THANK YOU! Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible. Your support is
very much appreciated!

http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

4: REUNION CRUISE BOOK

Work continues on the USS Horne Reunion Cruise Book. I had originally
thought I could finish this project and turn it over to the printer
within a month or two after the Reunion. The project is turning out to
be more time consuming than originally thought. This is mostly due to
the number of photos involved with this publication (nearly 200). It is
also due to my busy scheduled. (but busy is good... especially when you
are self employed as I am) But rest assured, if you attended the
Reunion, you will be getting a copy soon (it was included in the price
of the Reunion) and it'll be worth the wait. We will also print up a
limited number of extras for those who may be interested in purchasing
an extra copy.

======================================

5: JOSEPHUS DANIELS REUNION

This item is not meant to poke fun at anybody or any organization. I
bring it to your attention only as another way of saying thanks to Lou
Maggi and Rufus Reaves for the outstanding job they did collecting money
and paying bills with regard to the 2003 Horne Reunion. Lou served as
the Horne Reunion Treasurer and Rufus served as the President of the
Reunion Committee. Both Lou and Rufus did an outstanding job and I know
for a fact it wasn't easy. Many sleepless nights and long phone calls
preceded an incredible reunion and in the end, all the numbers added up.
They both did an outstanding job. The following is just an example of
what can happen when you are not fortunate enough to have guys like Lou
and Rufus involved in collecting and spending money. This is from
www.USSJosephusDaniels.com. Despite a lot of hard work, The "Joey D" had
a rough reunion. The 1st day of their Reunion held at Virginia Beach was
the very day that Hurricane Isabel made landfall... also at Virginia
Beach. As you can imagine, many people did not attend. Things kind of
went south from there.

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM THE USS JOSEPHUS DANIELS WEBSITE
***********
"For those of you who aren't already aware of the situation, here it is
in a nutshell: Randy Mink's wife apparently left him and cleaned out
their bank account, including the money shipmates paid to attend the
Ship's Reunion that was cancelled due to Isabel. Now people are
expecting their money back, and rightfully so. While some are
commencing legal actions against Randy and/or his estranged wife, Randy
has inexplicably dropped out of sight for all intents and purposes; his
phone is disconnected and he no longer answers email. If you want to
know more than this brief explanation, please contact Bob. An
unfortunate result of all this is that Randy is no longer associated
with the site he spent so much time, effort, and out-of-pocket expense
to build and maintain. I wish him well."
***********
THE PRECEDING WAS FROM THE USS JOSEPHUS DANIELS WEBSITE

Thanks again to Lou and Rufus who did an outstanding Job making the
Horne Reunion one of the best ever. And good luck to Dennis Fain who is
now trying to keep the Josephus Daniels Website afloat.

======================================

6: NEW MULTIMEDIA

I have posted some great music on the Multimedia Page. Please take a
listen. You'll hear an outstanding rendition of "The Navy Hymn" (my
favorite) by the US Naval Academy Sea Chanters. There are also stirring
versions of "Anchors Aweigh" by the US Navy Band, the Navy "Victory
March" and more. Crank up the volume and click PLAY!

http://www.usshorne.net/multimedia.htm

======================================

7: SHOCK & AWE

Military.com has an interesting section Called "SHOCK & AWE" which
features some wild Video and unbelievable Photos related to our Military
in action. Registration is required but registration is also free. Take
a look!

http://images.military.com/Shock

======================================

8: WEB TIP

When ever I put something new on the Horne Website, I record it on the
"What's New" page. When ever you visit USSHorne.net, just click on the
"WHAT'S NEW" link located on the main page directly beneath the
USSHorne.net Logo on the left side of the page. You'll see "at-a-glance"
what's new and if anybody new has been added to the Decklog. Take a
look!

http://www.usshorne.net/whatsnew.htm

======================================

9: SHIP STORE SPECIAL

I still have a few Horne Reunion Desk Clocks so the Ship's Store Special
in still in affect. Get a free Reunion Desk Clock with any
purchase of $20 or more from the ship's store. See the clock and place
your orders at:

http://www.usshorne.net/store

By the way... regarding the photo in the Ship's Store that shows a USS
Horne Mug on the President's Oval Office Desk... I have received many
emails asking if that's real? All I can say is... it's pretty cool isn't
it? :-)

=======================================

10: NEW DOMAINS

Did you know there are several ways to reach the USS Horne Website? In
addition to USSHorne.net, the following Web Addresses will also take you
to the Official Horne Website:

www.USSHorne.org
www.USSHorne.us
www.USSHorne.biz
www.USSHorne.info
www.CG30.com
www.DLG30.com

=======================================

11: WHAT'S IN A NAME?

ANSWER: The USS THOMAS S. GATES (CG-51), named for the former Secretary
of the Navy. The rest of the Ticonderoga Class Cruisers are named for
battles. Thanks to Captain T.J. Barnett for passing along this Naval
Tid-Bit. If you have a similar item that you would like to see published
in the Horne Newsletter, please send it to me. IC-@USSHorne.net

=======================================

12: SPAM ARREST

I now use Spam Arrest to help battle spam. How does it work? Well...
since I started using it in October... less than five months ago... it
has stopped 42,664 pieces of SPAM and passed along 721 pieces of
legitmate email. That's 42,664 pieces of spam I didn't have to worry
about. I used to get hundreds of SPAMs each day. Now I get about 1 or 2
each week!

How does it work? Easy! If you send an email to IC-@USSHorne.net you
will receive a return email asking you to click on a link and enter a
code displayed on your screen. It takes about 20 seconds. This is how
Spam Arrest works. It requires that if somebody sends me an email, they
need to be a real person, not a spam-generating machine. If they are a
real person, they will get the confirmation email and enter that code
and I will forever receive their emails. (they only need to do this
once) But if it's SPAM, it will never see the light of day. Another BIG
ADVANTAGE of Spam Arrest... I did not receive a single copy of the
recent MY DOOM virus/worm. If you are interested in trying Spam Arrest
you can sign up for a 30-day free trial. NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED. If you
decide it's as cool as I say it is... it'll cost you less than $3 a
month.

http://spamarrest.com/affl?1148103

That's all for this issue... thank you for reading and take good care!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net