Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (03/01/04)  Joe Westerberg
 Mar 01, 2004 22:36 PST

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 4 NO. 3
"A newsletter for veterans of USS Horne."
=====================================

"A ship is always referred to as 'she' because it costs so much to keep
one in powder and paint."

-- Chester Nimitz

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 3 YEARS AND 3 MONTH OLD
======================================

Inside This Issue:
3/01/04

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: WHAT'S IN A NAME? Question
3: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
4: HORNE RADIO & TV
5: SHOCK & AWE
6: JAMES TICHACEK'S VETERAN'S INFORMATION BULLETINS
7: WEB TIP
8: SHIP'S STORE SPECIAL
9: WHAT'S IN A NAME? Answer

======================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

The USS Horne Website is now 38 months old. We now have 761 shipmates
listed in the online decklog.

88 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
673 ENLISTED
142 CHIEFS
83 PLANKOWNERS

86 Shipmates (11.3%) have paid up-to-date dues
66 Shipmates (8.6%) are Lifetime members.
For more information on dues, please visit www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

2: WHAT'S IN A NAME?

What ship's name has been used most often? See item "10" below for the
answer.

======================================

3: NEW LIFERS

Thanks to all who have paid dues... and a special thanks to all new
USSHorne.net Lifetime Members. The following shipmates paid lifetime
dues in February.

Carl E. Valentine - OSC - 1981-1983
Robert E. Grell - RD2 - 1967-1969 - Plankowner
Daniel C. Lanotte - LCDR - 1967-1968
Ed Young - STG2 - 1969-1973
Paul Duffley - DK1 - 1974-1977

THANK YOU! Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible. Your support is
very much appreciated!

http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

4: HORNE RADIO & TV

One of my duties on Horne was to operate SITE TV. For the "seasoned
sailors" who may not know what SITE is... it stands for Shipboard
Instruction, Training and Entertainment and on Horne included two TV
channels over which Movies, Instruction and Training were played. There
were also radio stations that played over the Ship's Entertainment boxes
throughout the ship. I decided the USS Horne site could also use SITE
TV. HORNE RADIO & TV is a listing of hundreds of Radio and TV Stations
(mostly radio stations) from all around the world that stream live (and
free) on the Web. Links are provided to each station.

You can organize the list by Music Category (Classical, Country, Jazz,
etc) or by Country (Albania to Zimbabwe) by clicking on Category or
Location in the upper right hand side of the screen.

Listen to a station by selecting one of the flashing green icons.

You can create a list of favorites by clicking on "Add To My Stations".
Then click on My Stations to see your list.

Tune in and listen to music from around the world while you work, play
or surf the Horne Website (or any other site). I've listed a few of my
favorite stations below.

Classical: WGMS FM 103.5 - Washington DC - Radio
Classical: Beethoven.com Miami, Florida - Radio
News: BBC London - FM 94.9 - London UK - TV
Mix: IRH Internet Radio Hawaii - Kailua, Hawaii
Talk: KFI AM 640 - Los Angeles, California (listen 7p to 10p Pacific
time)

Real Player and Windows Media Player required. If you don't already have
these plug-ins, just click on the "Get Plug-Ins" link. Take a listen!

http://www.usshorne.net/horneradio.htm

======================================

5: SHOCK & AWE

I mentioned Military.com's Shock & Awe section in the last newsletter...
and just last week, The Horne was featured as the "Shock of the Day".
They posted a clip from the USSHorne.net multimedia section. It's
called, USS Horne vs. a Mine. Who wins? Have a look.

http://www.military.com/Shock

======================================

6: JAMES TICHACEK'S VETERAN'S INFORMATION BULLETINS

Former Horne Skipper T.J. Barnett gives a Bravo Zulu to James Tichacek's
Veteran's Information Bulletin. Says Barnett... "LT Tichacek puts out
the best summary of good info for vets that I've seen."

If you are interested in news regarding Medical Care, Medical
Supplements, Travel and Immigration, Tax/SS/Insurance & Legal, Death &
Survivors, Pay & Finances, & Tricare, this news letter is for you. It's
news that affects Veterans of all branches of the U.S. Military. It's
delivered twice a month. Read past Bulletins and subscribe at:

http://post_119_gulfport_ms.tripod.com/rao1.html

======================================

7: WEB TIP: URL SPOOFING

Many of you have PayPal accounts or other online financial related
accounts... SO BEWARE. There is a new hi-tech scam Called Phishing or
URL Spoofing in which official looking emails are sent out to thousands
if not millions. The emails appear to be from PayPal or other financial
organizations and urge the recipient to "click on the link below and log
in to update your account information" or "re-activate your account".
When you click on the link provided in the email you go to a very
official looking site where you can enter your user name and password.
The problem is... the Website is not official. It is run by scamsters
who use it to catch your user name and password. They can then get into
your account and transfer money out of your account. I know what some
of you are thinking. You're thinking... "well... just look at the web
address... if it's not PayPal.com then you know it's a scam. That's the
problem. Using a technique known as URL Spoofing... the Web Address IS
PayPal.com and there's really no way to tell the phony from the
legitimate once you are there. I received one of these official looking
emails today and the only way I knew it was a fraud is because when I
clicked and held the mouse button down over the provided link, I could
see in the lower left of my browser, I was not being directed to
PayPal.com. The good rule of thumb is do not click on any links that are
contained in any email asking you to update your account information. If
you are not sure about an email, go to the site by typing in the address
manually... NOT by clicking on a link provided in an email. Read more
about URL Spoofing and protect yourself, your family and friends at:

http://www.antiphishing.org

======================================

8: SHIP STORE SPECIAL

The Ship's Store Special continues. Get a free Reunion Desk Clock with
any purchase of $20 or more from the ship's store. See the clock and
place your orders at:

http://www.usshorne.net/store

=======================================

9: WHAT'S IN A NAME?

ANSWER: The USS Enterprise. CVN-65 is the sixth ship named Enterprise.
(7 if you count NCC-1701) Read about all the Enterprises at:

http://www.cvan-cvn-65.org/ship_hist.htm

That's all for this issue... enjoy the links above and have a good
March!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net