Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (09/20/04)  Joe Westerberg
 Sep 20, 2004 01:20 PDT

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 4 NO. 4
"A newsletter for veterans of USS Horne."
=====================================

"Apart from securing American independence, ending slavery, and
defeating Nazism and communism, war has never solved anything."
                                    - UNKNOWN

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 3 YEARS AND 9 MONTH OLD
======================================

Inside This Issue:
9/20/04

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
3: SUISUN NEWS
4: REUNION NEWS
5: WOUNDED WARRIORS
6: BOOK REVIEW: GENERATION KILL
7: JIBJAB
8: NAVY HISTORY: GOATLOCKER

======================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

Well now! It's been a while since my last newsletter. I went into a sort
of unplanned Newsletter stand-down period after the Reunion Cruise Book
was completed. After receiving several emails from concerned
crew-members asking about my health AND after Rufus told me to gett off
my butt, I decided the break was over. My health is fine. Just been busy
and also slacking just a tad!

But as you can imagine... a lot has happened since March so lets get
started! The USS Horne Website is now 3 years & 9 months old. There have
been more than 95,500 visit to USSHorne.net. We now have 819 shipmates
listed in the online decklog. (Jeeze... I remember when we had 6)

90 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
729 ENLISTED
150 CHIEFS
88 PLANKOWNERS

85 Shipmates (10.3%) have paid up-to-date dues
81 Shipmates (9.8%) are Lifetime members.

======================================

2: NEW LIFERS

Since we last spoke, we have added the following new Lifetime Members to
the Decklog:
"Mark" William Davison - GMG2 - 1976-1979
Ron Joly - IC2 - 1966-1968 - PLANKOWNER
Mike "Slocum" Olmstead - BT2 - 1975-1978
Tom Barnett - Commanding Officer - 1989-1991
Ray West - BTC - 1987-1993
Bruce Hamm - OS2 - 1984-1988
James Bachelder - RD2/OS1 - 1967-1970 - PLANKOWNER
James Prochniak - RD2 - 1967-1970 - PLANKOWNER
Dan Haynes - MM1 - 1974-1978
Bob Mikkelson - PNCM - 1974-1977
Marshall Brown - Commander - 1988-1990
Robert Grice - STG2 - PLANKOWNER - 1966-1969
John Oroszy Jr. - AW2 - 1968-1971
Jim Kitzmiller - Commander - 1989-1991

THANKS TO ALL NEW LIFERS. YOUR SUPPORT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible.
http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

3: SUISUN NEWS

I was recently very fortunate to receive an email from Mr. Peter P.
Papadakos... the lead Volunteer for the West Coast restoration team for
the destroyer, USS JOSEPH P. KENNEDY JR (DD-850) now located at
Battleship Cove in historic Fall River, MA. Mr. Papadakos recently
visited Horne in Suisun Bay while leading a team of volunteers to remove
items on HORNE, JOUETT and STERETT which will be used on the USS Joseph
P. Kennedy Jr. Mr. Papadakos took the time to contact me. While on Horne
he found the 30 foot ship's banner which was tied along the brow
whenever Horne was in port. It reads "USS HORNE CG-30" and has an anchor
devices on both sides. Thanks to Mr. Papadakos, the banner is now safe
and sound in my bedroom closet! So we now have a banner for our next
Reunion! More on that later...

But some sad news to report. Mr. Papadakos informs me the CGs will be
soon be leaving Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet for their final trip to
Brownsville, Texas for scrapping. He estimates this will more than
likely take place within the next 6 to 8 months. I know it's sad news
for many of us to know that Horne will soon be going through a process
known as "ship breaking". But if it's any consolation, Horne will live
on aboard the USS Joseph P. Kennedy at Battleship Cove as many of her
fixtures have already been transferred to Kennedy.

Many shipmates have asked me about the exact schedule for Horne. As best
I can tell it may not yet be known for sure as apparently there has been
some funding issues that still need to be resolved before she'll be
transferred to Texas. I will keep you up to date with any information I
receive.

In the meantime, be sure to visit the Photo Section and see the photos
Mr. Papadakos sent me from Horne. These were taken just about one month
ago.

By the way... Mr. Papdakos sends me the following which I am happy to
pass along to the rest or Horne's crew:

"USS HORNE was really the only CG at SBRF where you could feel the
crew's pride in their ship. The shiny brass and chrome spoke volumes to
me."

Read more about the Kennedy here:
http://www.ussjpkennedyjr.org/

And read more about Battleship Cover here:
http://www.battleshipcove.org/index.htm

and if you haven't already seen it... here's information on Horne's
current location:
http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/benicia-big.htm

======================================

4: REUNION NEWS

It's been a year since Horne's 1st ever Reunion. And Rufus (Horne's
Reunion Committee President) and I have been kicking around an idea for
our next reunion. No date is yet set but we would like to get an idea
how many people would be interested in a REUNION CRUISE on the Mexican
Riviera with 4 or 5 port calls, possibly in the Fall of 2005 or winter
2006.

We have checked into cruises and they have some advantages over a
"land-based" reunion. One advantage is the prices for some week-long
cruises range from $500 to $800 bucks. This may seem kind of expensive
but when you consider it includes your Room AND your FOOD the only other
real cost would be your transportation to San Diego and souvenirs. For
those of you who attended the 2003 San Diego Reunion, hotel rooms alone
cost us around $400 for four nights. So we figure $500 to $800 for an
entire package that includes food might be worth a look.

SO... two questions...

1: WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN A USS HORNE REUNION CRUISE?

2: IF SO... PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD PREFER THE FALL OF 2005 OR
THE WINTER OF 2006.

Again... this is just for information/planning purposes. Just a trial
balloon to see what people think. So send your emails to:
ic-@usshorne.net.

ALSO... VERY IMPORTANT... if anybody living back east or in the mid west
would like to form a reunion committee and plan a HORNE reunion on the
East Coast or somewhere in Mid America, please feel free to do so. Since
the current Reunion Committee lives here in California... it's been kind
of decided that any reunions we coordinate will take place, or at least
originate, in Southern California. We welcome any other plans for a
reunion elsewhere in the country and I will be happy to publicize any
such reunion plans on the Horne Website.

======================================

5: WOUNDED WARRIORS

I recently learned about the Wounded Warrior Project. I feel this is a
very worthwhile project. The following is from their Website:

"The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) was founded on the principle that
veterans are our nation's greatest citizens. The Project seeks to assist
those men and women of our armed forces who have been severely injured
during the conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other hot spots around
the world. Many of the injuries are traumatic amputations, gunshot
wounds, burns and blast injuries that will retire these brave warriors
from military service. These wounded soldiers will return to civilian
life minus one or more limbs, or with serious wounds or disfiguring
scars, and will face greater challenges today obtaining assistance and
finding opportunities that would enable them to provide for themselves
and their families."

I have been in touch with officials from the WWP and am working on
developing a possible association between USSHorne.net and the WWP. I
feel that since we have some significant numbers (more than 800 now
listed on the decklog) we could more than likely help raise a fair
amount of money for this worthwhile project... not only through
donations... but also by donating profits from the ship's store...
challenging Horne's sister Ship's (Websites) to raise money and donate
as well and hopefully this could spread to other ships' Websites.

I'll have more information about this soon. In the mean time, check out
their Website:

www.WoundedWarriorProject.org

======================================

6: BOOK REVIEW

I recently finished a fantastic book by Evan Wright called GENERATION
KILL. Wright was imbedded with a platoon of First Reconnaissance
Battalion Marines who spearheaded the invasion of Iraq. Wright does a
great job of telling us what it was like to roll into Iraq but he does
so with no pro-war or anti-war agenda. He simply tells us the way it is.

More on the book:
In the tradition of Black Hawk Down and Jarhead comes a searing portrait
of young men fighting a modern-day war. A powerhouse work of nonfiction,
Generation Kill expands on Evan Wright's acclaimed three-part series
that appeared in Rolling Stone during the summer of 2003. His narrative
follows the twenty-three marines of First Recon who spearheaded the
blitzkrieg on Iraq. This elite unit, nicknamed "First Suicide
Battalion," searched out enemy fighters by racing ahead of American
battle forces and literally driving into suspected ambush points.

Evan Wright lived on the front lines with this platoon from the opening
hours of combat, to the fall of Baghdad, through the start of the
guerrilla war. He was welcomed into their ranks, and from this
bird's-eye perspective he tells the unsettling story of young men
trained by their country to be ruthless killers. He chronicles the
triumphs and horrors-physical, moral, emotional, and spiritual-that
these marines endured while achieving victory in a war many questioned
before it began. Wright's book is a timely account of war; even more
important, it is a timeless description of the human drama taking place
on today's battlefields. Written with brutal honesty, raw intensity, and
startling intimacy, Generation Kill is destined to become a classic and
take its place in the canon of the most captivating and authentic works
of war literature.

If you're interested... you can get the book at Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0399151931/ref%3Dase%5Fhereonthewebcom

======================================

7: JIBJAB

I know better than to discuss politics as I will no doubt get at least
half of you mad at me. But "This Land" is a very funny "bi-partisan"
cartoon that came out a couple months ago. If you haven't seen it...
take a look. I think it's pretty funny!

http://www.jibjab.com

=======================================

8: NAVY HISTORY: GOATLOCKER

Entertainment on liberty took many forms, mostly depending on the coast
and opportunity. One incident which became tradition was at a Navy-Army
football game. In early sailing years, livestock would travel on ships,
providing the crew fresh milk, meats, and eggs, as well as serving as
ships' mascots. One pet, a goat named El Cid (meaning Chief) was the
mascot aboard the USS New York. When its crew attended the fourth
Navy-Army football game in 1893, they took El Cid to the game, which
resulted in the West Pointers losing. El Cid (The Chief) was offered
shore duty at Annapolis and became the Navy's mascot. This is believed
to be the source of the old Navy term, "Goat Locker."

That's all for now... until next time!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net