Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (12/01/04)  Joe Westerberg
 Dec 01, 2004 23:04 PST

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 4 NO. 6
"A newsletter for veterans of The Guided Missile Cruiser USS Horne."
=====================================

"We talked for a few more minutes and then the president turned to the
vice president and said he'd just narrowed the candidates to one. And my
31-year naval career flew out the window."
- Admiral Stansfield Turner explaining how he became Director of the CIA
in the Carter Administration in 1977

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 4 YEARS OLD
======================================

Inside This Issue:
12/01/04
1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: HAPPY BIRTHDAY
3: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
4: ADMIRAL HORNE
5: OPERATION HORNE PACK
6: CAPTAIN CAMACHO RETIREMENT
7: BATTLE E UPDATE
8: 2005 CALENDAR
9: HORNE STATUS
10: MYSTERY PHOTO
11: REUNION UPDATE
12: CREW MESSAGES
13: ARTIFACTS

======================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

A jammed pack newsletter today so without further delay... The USS Horne
Website is now 4 years old. There have been more than 99,500 visits to
USSHorne.net. We now have 837 shipmates listed in the online decklog.

92 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
744 ENLISTED
153 CHIEFS
90 PLANKOWNERS

96 Shipmates (11.4%) have paid up-to-date dues
91 Shipmates (10.9%) are Lifetime members.

======================================

2: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

A couple of birthdays to mention. Admiral Stansfield Turner turns 81
today (December 1st). I'm sure I speak for all former Horne crew members
in wishing the Admiral the very best on this special day.

Incidentally... USSHorne.net is, as of today, 4 years old. I posted the
first images on USSHorne.net on December 1, 2000. The hit counter is now
fast approaching 100,000 visits. Thanks to everyone who has contributed
to the magnificent success of this site. When I first started, I just
wanted to get enough people together in hopes of having a reunion. Now
that that's under our belt it's time to find bigger and better things
for USSHorne.net to get involved in.

======================================

3: NEW LIFERS

Since we last spoke, we have added the following new Lifetime Members to
the Decklog:

Ted Arestad - EMCM - 1976-1979
James W. Fox - BMCM - 1968-1971
Robert Willegal - LCDR - 1967-1968- PLANKOWNER & 1981-1984
Michael Pesik - MSCS(SW) - 1990-1994
Ron Adkison - OS2(SW) - 1988-1991
Sam Johnson - BM2 - 1970-1974

THANKS TO ALL NEW LIFERS. YOUR SUPPORT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible.

http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

4: ADMIRAL HORNE

I recently found a fantastic image of Admiral Horne. It was in a 1945
issue of the Saturday Evening Post. Take a look.

http://www.usshorne.net/images/admiralhorne.jpg

======================================

5: OPERATION HORNE PACK

A friend of my family is on his way to Iraq. PFC Ryan McMillen joined
the Marines less than a year ago. He got to spend Thanksgiving with his
family. It was at this time he announced that his unit had been ordered
to Iraq. As this is being written, Private McMillen is on his way to
Hawaii, then Singapore, then Iraq. If you ever wanted to send the troops
serving in Iraq a care pack but didn't have a point of contact, here's
your chance. Ryan will be happy to share items with other members of his
unit so I would like to encourage everybody reading this email to send
Ryan a "HORNE PACK". It only takes a few minutes and I'm sure it will be
greatly appreciated by all the good men and women who receive these
highly sought after items when they are needed most. Items in high
demand are...

POWDERED GATORADE
INSTANT COFFEE PACKS
DRIED MEATS AND SPICES (ANYTHING TO SPICE UP THE MRE'S)
SOCKS
UNDERWEAR
SMOKES
TOOTHPASTE
DEODORANT
SOAP
TOILET PAPER
VISINE
CHAPSTICK
WET/BABY WIPES
GEDUNK
GUM
BATTERIES (AAA & AA)
(NO LIQUOR - NO PORN)

I know we all can remember how great it was to receive care packs while
deployed and Private McMillen and others in his Unit will certainly
appreciate receiving A "HORNE PACK" from former Horne crewmembers.
Please take some time out of your day and send a "HORNE PACK" to:

PFC MCMILLEN, RYAN USMC
1/1 WPNS 81'S PLT.
UNIT 40180
FPO-APO 96610-0180

Please be sure to write "HORNE PACK" on each package and include your
complete name and return address. You may want to include a short note
about what you did in the military. And THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for
supporting our troops!

======================================

6: CAPTAIN CAMACHO

For those of you who served in Horne in the late 80's and early 90's...
you may be interested in knowing that Captain "Hip" Camacho recently
retired. And what a retirement ceremony it was! A significant chunk of
former Horne Brass turned out for the occasion onboard the USS WISCONSIN
(BB-64) at the National Maritime Center-Nauticus in Norfolk, Virginia.
In addition to Captain Camacho, Commander (Ret.) Burt Upchurch (Horne
CSO), Commander (Ret.) Rich O'Brien (Horne Cheng), Captain Mark
Nesslerode (Horne XO), Captain Tom Barnett (Horne CO), Commander Steve
Rasmussen (Horne Ordnance Officer and my Divo) and Commander Kevin
Holden (Horne OPS) were all on hand. And we have the photos to prove it.
Take a look!

http://www.usshorne.net/horne/hip.htm

======================================

7: BATTLE E UPDATE

You may have noticed that the Horne Awards Page has been updated. An
additional Battle "E" has been added to Horne's long list of awards. The
previous awards page was based on OPNAV NOTE 1650 and only included one
Navy "E" awarded for the period 01 JAN 1993 - 31 DEC 1993. Thanks to DC1
Joel Field (in Horne from 84-86) for providing documentation that
pointed out an additional "E" was awarded Horne for the period 01 JAN
1985 - 30 JUNE 1986.

http://www.usshorne.net/awards.htm

======================================

8: 2005 HORNE CALENDARS

New 2005 USS Horne Calendars are now available in the Horne Ship's
Store. Great photos. Check 'em out!

http://www.usshorne.net/store/

By the way... we have sold out of CG-30 Ballcaps... all we have left now
are DLG-30 Ballcaps... so if you want one... don't waist any time. They
won't last for long.

Proceeds go to USSHorne.net expenses.

======================================

9: HORNE STATUS

In the last Horne Newsletter, I told you about how I expected 1 or more
of the Cruisers in Suisun Bay to be headed for scrapping in Brownsville
very soon. I have just received word that USS Fox (CG-31) will be
leaving Suisan Bay Reserve Fleet (SBRF) in January. NavSea Inactive
Ships says there is currently NO SCHEDULE for the departure of Horne.
Stay tuned!

======================================

10: MYSTERY PHOTO

During my September visit to Horne, a photo was found in the #1 Engine
Room. The guys look familiar to me so I believe they served in the early
90's. Take a look and see if you can help me identify the mystery
crewmembers.

http://www.usshorne.net/horne/images/photos/shipmates/mysteryphoto.jpg

=======================================

11: 2006 HORNE REUNION CRUISE UPDATE

The good news is there seems to be unanimous support for a "Reunion
Cruise 2006". Nobody has objected to the "Reunion Cruise". The bad news
is I've only heard from 22 people who said they'd be interested in
attending. Of course we will need a lot more interest than that before
we start planning a 2006 reunion. If you are interested in a 2006
reunion, send me an email and let me know. This is our only way of
gauging interest. We need at least a hundred people who want to attend
before we'll start planning the 2006 reunion.

mailto:IC-@USSHORNE.NET?subject=REUNION

=======================================

12: CREW MESSAGES

I recently started a new feature on the DECKLOG SIGNUP PAGE. Crew
members can now post a short message when they sign up for the DECKLOG.
I'll post the message in the next newsletter. So here's what we have for
you this issue:

OSC CARL "BOSS HOG" VALENTINE - 1981-1983 writes:
"Hey old shipmates from OI Div. Anyone heard what happened to BIG Mike
Norris or Cowboy Leroy Leach?

----------------------------

BMCM JAMES W. FOX - 1968-1971 writes:
"Hello Fellow Shipmates. Glad to be coming aboard."

----------------------------

OSCS(SW) WILLIAM DANNER - 1984-1986 writes:
Served on Horne as an OS3(SW) & made OS2. I know Don Hamilton will be
surprised I made E-8! Hey OS1 Frank. Bet you are surprised!

----------------------------

ALSO... An anonymous messages... referring to Jerry Eads who served in
Horne from 1988-1992.
"JERRY EADS MADE CHIEF THIS AUGUST"

----------------------------

Congrats to Chief Eads!

You may contact any of the above mentioned people by looking up their
emails in the DECKLOG! Also, please note... anybody who wants something
mentioned in the NEWSLETTER can simply email me.

=======================================

13: ARTIFACT GIVE-AWAY

If you're still reading. Congratulations. To help celebrate the
Website's 4th birthday I am giving away dozens of Horne artifacts that
I've collected. Most people will consider these items junk. But if you
served in Horne, there's a good chance there's something that will mean
a lot to you. Take a look and let me know. There's no charge for the
artifact... and USSHorne.net is picking up the postage. But... of course
supplies are limited so don't waste any time taking a look! First
come... first served.

http://www.usshorne.net/free

That's all for now... PLEASE... DON'T FORGET THE "HORNE PACKS"!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net