Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH (04/15/05)  Joe Westerberg
 Apr 15, 2005 23:58 PDT

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 5 NO. 1
"A newsletter for veterans of The Guided Missile Cruiser USS Horne."
=====================================

"The wonder is always new that any sane man can be a sailor."
                                 Ralph Waldo Emerson

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 4 YEARS & 5 MONTHS OLD
======================================

Inside This Issue:
04/15/05
1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: 38 YEARS AGO
3: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
4: USSHORNE.COM
5: HORNE BALLCAPS
6: HORNE STATUS
7: REUNION UPDATE
8: CREW MESSAGES

======================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

The USS Horne Website is now 4 years and five months old. There have
been more than 106 thousand visits to USSHorne.net. We now have 866
shipmates listed in the online decklog.

96 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
770 ENLISTED
157 CHIEFS
94 PLANKOWNERS

112 Shipmates (12.9%) have paid up-to-date dues
106 Shipmates (12.2%) are Lifetime members.

======================================

2: 38 YEARS AGO

On April 15, 1967, Horne was commissioned as a United States Ship. This
is what it looked like!
http://www.usshorne.net/horne/images/commissioning/jpgs/commissRB.jpg

======================================

3: NEW LIFERS

Since we last spoke, we have added 14 new Lifetime Members to the
Decklog: My sincere appreciation to ALL who have contributed!

Curt H. Danhauser - LTJG - 1986-1988
David Walker - OS3 - 1985-1988
Craig Yost - MM3 - 1969-1973
Thomas M. Smith - SMC - 1974-75
James Quistorf - OS2 - 1981-1982
Donald Joiner - ETR3 - 1971-1973
Ken Youngmann - Commander - 1966-1968 - PLANKOWNER
Gerald Cahalan - STG3 - 1982-1985
Phil Turner - Commander - 1990-1993
Darol LeBoeuf - "IN MEMORIAM" - BT3 - 1972-1975
Larry LeBoeuf - RD2 - 1971-1974
William E. Spencer - OS2 - 1977-1981
Robert E. Johnston - Commanding Officer - 1993-1994
Teddy Matlock - GMM1 - 1982-1988

THANKS TO ALL NEW LIFERS.

Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible.

http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

4: USSHORNE.COM

Some of you may remember USSHorne.net actually started out as
USSHorne.com. Then one fateful day in 2001, USSHorne.com inexplicably
started linking to a furniture store Website. The reunion was just
announced and it was suddenly difficult to find our site. Panic set in
but redundant systems were in place and a quick and smooth transition to
USSHorne.net took place. But many old salts looking for the Horne's
Website were being directed to furniture. Then things got even worse.
What we didn't know at the time was USSHorne.com expired (honest... it
wasn't my fault... the registrar failed to renew the .com address) and
was now in the hands of an opportunistic cyber outlaw selling "traffic"
to the highest bidder. He would generate traffic by linking USSHorne.com
and other popular expired domains to other Websites. That highest bidder
eventually became a porn site selling a wide array of unmentionables. It
was pretty scary. Kinda like waking up in Olongapo and realizing you had
missed movement. Confusion, surprise and a few slaps in the face from
angry spouses would often accompany an attempted trip to USSHorne.com.
An attorney was hired but no laws had been broken. The "new owner" of
USSHorne.com offered to sell the domain back to us for $1,250.00. "Pound
Sand!" was the terse reply from Horne! And the waiting game was on. Two
years and 3 months later, USSHorne.com once again links to where it
should: A kind gentlemen by the name of Darrell with impressive
connections found the domain lost on the rough waters of the Internet
Super Waterway and snagged it. When he realized what he had he
immediately donated it completely free of charge back to it's rightful
owners... the men who served in Horne and even offered to pay the
renewal fee. We thank Darrell and his company... CatchyDomains.com...
for doing the honorable thing and helping us Old Salts. Oh yes... and
now... THE REST OF THE STORY. Turns out Darrell is an Old Salt himself
and was stationed in Vietnam in 1968-1969.

Thank you Darrell!

www.USSHorne.com

======================================

5: HORNE BALLCAPS

I recently sold out of Horne ballcaps and have received many requests
for more. So I will be purchasing some soon. Keep checking the site and
when they're available, I'll let everybody know.

======================================

6: HORNE STATUS

HORNE has been moved to a different "nest" at Suisun Bay and is now
outboard. This is the first time Horne has been moved in many years and
may be an indication preparations are being made for transfer to
Brownsville. I will keep you posted. On a related note. Google.com
recently purchased a library of satellite images. Take a look at:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=benicia+ca&ll=38.072348,-122.098532&spn=0.046520,0.061884&t=k&hl=en

If the link doesn't work, just go to http://maps.google.com, click on
satellite and type in Benicia, CA. You will find the Mothball Fleet
where Horne currently rests.

======================================

7: 2006 HORNE REUNION CRUISE UPDATE

A lot more people have chimed in on the idea of a Reunion Cruise. So far
everybody likes the idea. Rufus and I will meet soon to discuss a battle
plan for a 2006 Reunion Cruise. If you would like to attend please let
us know (for planning purposes only) to help us gage interest. It is set
TENTATIVELY for fall, 2006.

Mail your comments and suggestions to: IC-@USSHORNE.NET?subject=REUNION

=======================================

8: CREW MESSAGES

When new crew members sign up for the DECKLOG they have the option of
leaving a message. Here's what we have for you this issue:

----------------------------

TONY DISMUKES - 1982-1985:

After all these years, it's good to see the Horne, and I even recognized
a few names on the decklog. Chief Dement, if you read this, I hope
everything is going well.

----------------------------

DAVE HUNT - 1972-1975:

OE Division Rocks

----------------------------

CURT DANHAUSER - 1986-1988:

I came aboard April '86 as Asst R-DIV Officer. CO was Capt Ed
Killinger.I later went to SWOS and then reported aboard in Jan. '87 as
Electronic Warfare Officer and Educational Services Officer. Left after
Westpac '87, CO was Capt Ed Long III.

----------------------------

MICHAEL A. PLITT - 1987-1991

I left the Navy after 6 long years to get on with my life and start a
family. I now work as a Laboratory Scientist at Eisenhower Medical
Center. I am still married to my wife of almost 20 years now and I have
a wonderful 9 year old daughter that's the apple of my eye. Best wishes
to everyone.

----------------------------

JARED (SMITTY) SMITH - 1984-1988

It's great to see all the names from the 84/88 that I can remember but
not enough MM's & BT's.

You may contact any of the above-mentioned people by looking up their
emails in the DECKLOG! Also, please note... anybody who wants something
mentioned in the NEWSLETTER can simply email me.

That's all for now... thank you for your support. Until next time...
stay below the radar!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net