Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH 7/23/06  Joe Westerberg
 Jul 23, 2006 22:23 PDT

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 6 NO. 1
"A newsletter for veterans of The Guided Missile Cruiser USS Horne."
=====================================

"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is
better."
                                                               -Sir
Francis Drake
======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 5 YEARS & 7 MONTHS OLD
======================================

Inside This Issue:
07/23/06

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: 2008 REUNION NEWS
3: NEW LIFETIME MEMBERS
4: HORNE BALLCAPS
5: HORNE STATUS
6: AMERICA SUPPORTS YOU
7: CRUISE BOOK PROJECT

======================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

Welcome to another edition of the USS Horne Digital Telegraph. It's been
some time since my last newsletter... although the site has been updated
on a regular basis, I have not sent out a newsletter in more than a
year. There just wasn't that much news to report regarding Horne. But
now there is... so you are receiving this newsletter. More on that in a
moment but first...

The USS Horne Website is now 5 years and 7 months old. There have been
more than 125 thousand visits to USSHorne.net. We now have 951 shipmates
listed in the online decklog.

106 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
844 ENLISTED
179 CHIEFS
101 PLANKOWNERS

131 (13.7%) of the listed Shipmates have paid up to date Dues
129 (13.5%) of the listed Shipmates are Lifetime Members.

======================================

2: 2008 REUNION NEWS

As mentioned on the Website, there has been considerable interest in
having another USS Horne Reunion. After preliminary plans to have
another reunion in San Diego and possibly a Reunion Cruise, I received
many emails requesting that a 2nd Horne reunion be held in a different
city in the Midwest or somewhere Back East. This is a good idea but
because it is preferable and important for anybody organizing a reunion
to live in the area where the reunion is going to be held, the Reunion
Committee that organized the 1st reunion could not organize such a
reunion. I then asked for volunteers to step forward if they were
interested in organizing a reunion back east. To that end... Ed Giroux
(in Horne '85-'89) has indicated an interest in possibly organizing a
2008 reunion in or around the Washington DC area. I would like to thank
Ed for volunteering to take on this daunting task. Organizing a reunion
is a lot of work and I appreciate his willingness to look into a
possible 2008 reunion in the DC region.

We now have about twice as many people signed up on the USS Horne
Decklog as we did prior to the 2003 Horne reunion so the turnout should
be great!

If you live in the Washington DC or Virginia area and would like more
information on possibly helping Ed organize a 2008 USS Horne Reunion,
please contact him via email at:

EdGi-@USSHorne.net

Ed will need several individuals willing to dedicate a lot of time to
forming a reunion committee and planning all the facets of this event.
It's also important that you live close enough to the reunion site that
you can attend meetings, visit hotels, restaurants, tourist sites etc.
We need your help but please don't volunteer for something you can not
commit to. If you want to find out more and think you may be able to
help make a 2nd USS Horne Reunion a reality, contact Ed at the email
address provided above.

And thank you in advance for your help!

I'll use this Newsletter to keep you updated on Reunion News... but be
sure to visit USSHorne.net for updates as well. As more information
becomes available, I'll create a 2008 Reunion Section.

======================================

3: NEW LIFERS

Since we last spoke, we have added 29 new Lifetime Members to the
Decklog: My sincere appreciation to ALL who have contributed!

John Clark - ET1 - 1967-1970 - PLANKOWNER
Larry Patterson - EM1 - 1973-1977
Walt Wyckoff - RM2 - 1974-1977
Douglas Berry - OS1 - 1984-1989
Jon "Chip" Williams - RM1 - 1982-1986
Wesley Feeler - CSC - 1967-1968 - PLANKOWNER
Merton J. Garrison - DS1 - 1987-1989
Tim Brown - HMCS(SW) - 1984-1986
Bryan Carmichael - EMC/LT - 1990-1992
Gilbert "Beto" Flores - SK3 - 1987-1990
Roger Miller - BT3 - 1967-1968 - PLANKOWNER
Engstad, Kevin - MM3 - 1988- 1991
Richard Seivert - RM2 - 1979-1981
Earl Fulk - GMG3 - 1967-1969 - PLANKOWNER
Kurt Oldenburg - SK3 - 1966-1970 - PLANKOWNER
Edmund Giroux - BM2 - 1985-1989
Earl Martine - IC3 - PLANKOWNER - 1966-1969
Edwin Powell - OS1(SW) - 1992-1994
Daniel "Fred" Peck - EM2 - 1990-1994
Paul Perrochino - EM3 - 1971-1973
Robert Pendt - FCCM(SW) - 1980-1982
Bill Foy - STG2 - 1979-1984
Paul Geddie - STG3 - 1988-1992
Wayne Quinn - ETCS - 1986-1991
Greg Masie - FN - 1973-1977
Patrick W. Ridgel - FCCM(SW) - 1985
Ernest O. Wiles - LT - Plankowner - 1966-1969
Bob Grant "Poopsie Larue" - BT2 - 1973-1978
Raymond E. Rambo - DS1- 1969-1974

THANKS TO ALL NEW LIFERS.

Dues payments make USSHorne.net possible.

http://www.USSHorne.net/dues.htm

======================================

4: HORNE BALLCAPS

I have a new supply of USS Horne Ballcaps... both CG and DLG models are
available. If you want a cap, please visit the Ship's Store:

http://www.usshorne.com/store/index.htm

======================================

5: HORNE STATUS

Despite many rumors to the contrary... Horne is still located at Suisun
Bay near Benecia. She has not been scrapped... and she has not been the
star player of a US Navy Sinkex. She remains part of the Mothball Fleet.
She is one of just three Belknap Class Cruisers still around. The other
two survivors are Jouett (CG-29) and Fox (CG-33). But all indications
are she will eventually be sent off to Brownsville, TX for ship
breaking. If you have not yet seen it, I have a section about Horne's
current status and a lot of information (sad information) about ship
breaking. You can read all about it at:

http://www.usshorne.net/horne/photos4.htm

======================================

6: AMERICA SUPPORTS YOU

Please take the time to visit this Website. It's an official Military
Website loaded with ways you can support the troops.

http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/

======================================

7: CRUISE BOOK PROJECT

I recently received an email from Rick Dillard OSCM(SW) USN, Ret. Rick
is involved in a large Cruise Book project involving more than 7,500
Cruise Books from the USN and USCG. He's trying to find digital photos
or scans of the front covers of the following Horne Cruise Books.

1970
1982
1983-1984
1993

If you have one of these cruise books and have the ability to send a
digital photo or scan of the front cover, please contact Rick at:

dral-@yahoo.com

That's all for now... thank you for your support. Until next time...
support the troops!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net