Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH 03/03/08  Joe Westerberg
 Mar 03, 2008 13:13 PST

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 7 NO. 1
"A newsletter for veterans of The Guided Missile Cruiser USS Horne."
=====================================

"The Navy has both a tradition and a future--and we look with pride and
confidence in both directions."

Admiral George Anderson, CNO, 1 August 1961.

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 7 YEARS & 3 MONTHS OLD
======================================

Inside This Issue:
03/03/08

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: HORNE STATUS
3: 2008 REUNION NEWS
4: NEW LIFERS
5: NEW SHIP'S STORE ITEMS

======================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

Welcome to another edition of the USS Horne Digital Telegraph. There
have been some important new developments regarding Horne's status and
that is the reason for this edition of the Horne Newsletter. But
first...

The USS Horne Website is now 7 years and 3 months old. There have been
more than 203 thousand visits to USSHorne.net. We now have 1,063
shipmates listed in the online decklog.

117 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
946 ENLISTED
190 CHIEFS
113 PLANKOWNERS

2: HORNE STATUS

For the past 14 years Horne has been part of the Suisun Bay Mothball
Fleet near Benicia, California. That chapter in Horne's history is now
over. On 02/26/08 Horne was moved to a pier in Richmond, California
across the bay from where she was constructed more than 40 years ago.
She is purportedly be readied for a Sinking Exercise. This preparation
will take approximately 12 weeks. So sometime in June it's expected
Horne will be towed far out into the Pacific and used for target
practice.

I'm sure many of us shudder at the thought of Horne being shot at,
bombed and eventually sunk but when you consider the dreadful
alternative of ship-breaking in Brownsville, TX it's really not that bad
of a fate. Horne will remain Horne in perpetuity at the bottom of the
Pacific Ocean. Much better, in my opinion, than being turned into scrap
metal.

Thanks to many individuals who have provided information and photos
about this final chapter in Horne's history, I have created a Horne
Sink-Ex page and will be updating it as new information becomes
available. For those of you who live nearby, Horne is apparently at a
public pier where you can drive right up next to her and pay a visit. If
anybody has any contacts who may help document this Sinking Exercise for
USSHorne.net, please let me know.

Information and maps indicating Horne's current location can be found on
the Sink-Ex page at http://www.USSHorne.net.

3: REUNION NEWS

As mentioned on the Website, there are currently no plans for a 2nd USS
Horne Reunion since tentative plans for a 2008 Reunion in Washing DC did
not materialize. If anybody would like to organize such an event, let me
know. I will be sure to help in anyway I can and post information on the
Website.

4: NEW LIFERS

Since we last spoke, we have added 29 new Lifetime Members to the
Decklog. Lifetime membership is $30 and proceed help cover Website
expenses such as domain registration and server space. Lifetime members
are indicated by a Membership Ribbon next to their Decklog Entry. My
sincere appreciation to ALL who have contributed!

The following have contributed Lifetime Membership Dues since July of
2006,

Scott Bergeman - Lieutenant - 1983-1987
Craig B. Claar - BT2 - 1967-1970 - PLANKOWNER
Arthur LaSalle - BTC - 1967-1970 - PLANKOWNER
Jerry Hedgecock - MM3 - 1979-1982
Fred Yates - ETR2 - 1967 - 1969 - PLANKOWNER
Robert Glassbrook - DSC - 1968-1970
Richard Hultgrien - GMM3 - 1977-1978
Herbert G. Carslon - EM2 - 1967-1970
Michael P. O'Brien - OSC - 1976-1980
William R. Markl Jr. - RM2 - 1967-1970 - PLANKOWNER
Shane Wetzel - GMM3 - 1992-1993
Steven Green - LT (YN3 on Horne) - 1980-1982
Jerry Harvey - BM3 - 1969-1972
Patrick Derenburger - FTG1 - 1968-1969
Marvin Bonnet - BMC - 1975-1976
Michael W. Krause - STG3 - 1987-1990
Barry A. Larkin - SN - 1969-1970
Mark L. Burke - BTFA - 1975-1976
Joseph G. Armstrong - MM1 - 1983-1986
Michael E. Lalancette - RM2 - 1972-1973
Lewis J. Friedrichsen - LCDR - 1966-1969 - PLANKOWNER
Gregory Schroeder, FTM3 - 1970-1972
Richard Green, ETC - 1984-1987
Lloyd "Stoney" Phelps, ET1 - 1969-1974
Lissimore, Ken, BTCM(SW) - 1981-1985
John Perry, BT3 - 1986-1990

5: NEW ITEMS IN SHIP'S STORE

There are a few new items in the Ship's store. New items include framed
prints and posters of USS Horne circa 1967 sailing in the San Francisco
Bay. 2008 Horne Calendars are also available. Ballcaps for both DLG and
CG era crew are on sale too! Please have a look.

That's all for now... thank you for your support. Until next time...
long live the Horne!

Sincerely,

Joe Westerberg
Webmaster: www.USSHorne.net