Welcome Guest!
 Horne DT
HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH 05/03/08  Joe Westerberg
 May 03, 2008 00:56 PDT

HORNE DIGITAL TELEGRAPH - VOL. 7 NO. 3
"A newsletter for veterans of The Guided Missile Cruiser USS Horne."
=====================================

"It follows than as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without
a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it,
everything honorable and glorious."
- President George Washington, 15 November 1781, to Marquis de
Lafayette.

======================================
THE USS HORNE WEBSITE IS 7 YEARS & 5 MONTHS OLD
======================================

Inside This Issue:
05/03/08

1: WHAT'S NEW?
2: 2009 REUNION NEWS
3: HORNE STATUS
4: MEET ME AT THE SHIP

======================================

1: WHAT'S NEW?

Welcome to another edition of the USS Horne Digital Telegraph. Some
important news in this edition... but first...

The USS Horne Website is now 7 years and 5 months old. There have been
more than 206 thousand visits to USSHorne.net. We now have 1,073
shipmates listed in the online decklog.

118 OFFICERS
1 ADMIRAL
4 HORNE SKIPPERS
955 ENLISTED
190 CHIEFS
113 PLANKOWNERS

163 (15.1%) crew members have paid LIFETIME dues. If you'd like to find
out more about how you can support USSHorne.net by purchasing a lifetime
dues membership for $30, please visit http://www.usshorne.net/dues.htm -
Thanks to all who have contributed to making USSHorne.net the Navy's
Finest Cruiser Website!

2: 2009 REUNION

The 2009 Horne Reunion Committee has been formed. Your 2009 reunion
committee members are:

Lou Maggi: Reunion Committee President (RCP)
- Lou served in Horne 1975-1978 and was Treasurer for the 2003 Reunion.

Rufus Reaves: Reunion Committee Treasurer (RCT)
- Rufus served in Horne 1970-1972 and was President of the 2003 Reunion
Committee.

Joe Westerberg (me): Reunion Committee Communications Director (RCCD)
- Joe served in Horne 1989-1991, created and maintains USSHorne.net and
helped organize the 2003 Reunion.

NOTE: To keep up to date with all the reunion news be sure to subscribe
to the Horne Reunion Newsletter... a newsletter dedicated specifically
to Reunion related news and events. Just send an email to:
hornereunio-@topica.com

Please help spread the word about the Reunion. Many people have not
updated their email addresses on the USS Horne Decklog so it's difficult
to get the word out. Contact any and all of your former shipmates who
you still know and let them know about the Reunion.

The first Horne reunion was in 2003. The next reunion will be held in
2009. At this rate the 3rd Reunion won't be until 2015... and since
that's a date after the Mayan Calendar runs out... well... lets just say
you should plan on attending the 2009 Reunion. Okay? :-). If you missed
the 2003 Reunion you missed an incredible experience... but here's
another chance. Please join us for the USS Horne 2009 Reunion Cruise to
Cabo.

http://www.usshorne.net/reunion2009.htm

3: HORNE STATUS

As has been previously mentioned... Horne has been moved from her long
time home in Suisun Bay and for the first time since she was
decommissioned in 1994... she's now docked at a pier. Visit USSHorne.net
for more information. Lots of new photos of Horne as she exists today.
The latest word is she is being readied for a Sink-Ex later this year.
I've been informed she may "take part" in this summer's Rim of the
Pacific (RIMPAC) naval exercises.

http://www.usshorne.net/horne/sinkex.htm

4: MEET ME AT THE SHIP

On Sunday May 18th, I will be visiting Horne at her present location in
Richmond, California. Please join me if you can. If you would like to
visit Horne one last time... this is probably going to be your best
opportunity. I know it's short notice but Horne won't be there much
longer. It's pretty certain she'll be towed off to Pearl Harbor late
this month or early June.

It's unlikely we will be able to go onboard but... you never know. After
visiting Horne, telling some sea stories and taking some photos we'll
all head off to a local restaurant and have some chow. Nothing fancy...
just a final muster at the ship before she's towed off to Pearl Harbor.

If you'd like to "meet me at the ship" just drop me an email so I can
know how many people to expect. ic-@usshorne.net

Whether 5 or 50 show up... we'll have a good time.

MEET ME AT THE SHIP
SUNDAY MAY 18TH 10AM
FOR DIRECTIONS TO HORNE VISIT:
http://www.usshorne.net/horne/sinkex.htm

That's all for now. Hope to see you in Richmond Sunday May 18th!

Respectfully,

Joe Westerberg
former IC1(SW)
in Horne '89-'91