Welcome Guest!
 VB.NET Helper
VB.NET Helper Newsletter -- Another drawing for a free book  Rod Stephens
 May 29, 2013 19:50 PDT

As promised, another... BOOK DRAWING!

MCSD Certification Toolkit (Exam 70-483: Programming in C#)

    MCSD Certification Toolkit
    Exam 70-483: Programming in C#
    $59.99, 648 pages, 2013
    Wrox
    ISBN 13: 978-1118612095
    By: Tiberiu Covaci, Rod Stephens, Vincent Varallo, Gerry O'Brien

Book sales these days are heavily driven by reviews and this book hasn't
gotten enough. In an attempt to generate more reviews, I'm giving away 5
copies of the book. Here are some details:

    - By entering the drawing, you promise to post a review. I don't
want you to promise a good review, just an honest review. I think this
is a good book and it can stand for itself.

    - This is not a beginner's book. It covers just about the entire C#
language in the depth necessary to take the MCSD Certification Exam
70-483: Programming in C#. If you don't have some experience with C#,
you may find it a difficult book.

    - I am not the sole author of this book. I wrote these chapters:
        - Chapter 4: Using Types - Converting between types, casting,
manipulating strings, formatting values.
        - Chapter 5: Creating and Implementing Class Hierarchies -
Deriving one class from another, using the base and this keywords,
defining and using interfaces, implementing important interfaces,
managing resources.
        - Chapter 6: Working with Delegates, Events and Exceptions -
Understanding delegates and predefined delegate types, anonymous
methods, publishing and subscribing to events, catching and re-throwing
exceptions, creating custom exceptions.
        - Chapter 11: Input Validation, Debugging and Instrumentation -
Input validation, regular expressions, preprocessor directives and
symbols, tracing, logging, profiling.

    - Each chapter includes exercises that you can use to test yourself.

    - You can download additional exercises, cheat sheets, and sample
code at this page.

    - This book focuses on the C# programming language not on the IDE,
user interface design, or Metro issues (or whatever Microsoft is calling
the new Windows 8 style today).

    - My chapters use Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop,
which you can download for free here.

    - To enter, send an email containing your name and snail mail
address with the subject "C# book drawing" to
RodSte-@CSharpHelper.com by June 4, 2013.

If you want to hone your C# skills and see if you have what it takes to
take the MCSD certification exam, sign up for the drawing and you might
win a free book!

(If by some chance you already own a copy of this book, or a copy of any
of my books, please post a review! Reviews are what sells books and
without sales I can't keep writing. Please don't make me get a real
job!)

Best wishes,

Rod Stephens