Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 290  Cat Adams
 Sep 24, 2001 19:47 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 290
September 24, 2001

We're back! Thank you all so much for the wonderful
inspiring e-mail messages that you've been sending in.
They've lifted up our spirits.

I could sure use your help! While we were on hiatus,
The List Fights II started. So we're way behind on
votes. Could you please vote for us? And, remember,
you can vote once a day to help us get caught up.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles</a>
Thanks!

I also want to wish a belated happy birthday to my
beautiful daughter, Jamie. Happy birthday, sweetheart!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Comment ">
Send comments to Volunteer Vittles! </A>

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Jeanne's Pot Roast
. Hints from Helga (humor today)
. Little Vittles Recipe: PBJ Roll-Ups
. Cute Toons
. Recipe: Jeanne's German Noodles
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Jeanne's Green Beans Almondine
. LynnLynn's Vittles Links
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Fresh Mushroom Nuggets
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

              *** JUST JEANNE ***
Love to cook? Love to can and preserve? Love your pets?
Have a veggie and herb garden? Love a good clean chuckle?
Need good household hints? Then come join us for good clean
fun with your friends at "JUST JEANNE"
To get your FREE subscription:
e-mail: mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
<A HREF=" mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Jeanne's Pot Roast

Reader Jeanne shares:

I am cooking up a storm. Here are three of my favorite
recipes. [Note from Cat: see Jeanne's recipes later
below.] Mom made this menu at least once a month (pot
roast, German noodles, and green beans almondine). I
haven't made the German noodles in so long, but just
had a craving for some real comfort food.

               JEANNE'S POT ROAST

5-6 lbs. Chuck roast (cut off any excess fat)
2 packages Lipton Onion Soup Mix
6 large Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray large roaster with
cooking spray. Add pot roast. Add onion soup mix and pepper.
Cover with cold water. Cover entire pan with heavy duty
aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn heat
down to 200 degrees and roast for 2 hours. Turn meat after
about 1 hour. Remove meat and let rest for about 15 minutes
before carving.

While meat is resting, remove bay leaves and discard.
Thicken gravy with a little arrowroot and water or cornstarch
and water. Meat will be so tender you can cut it with a fork.
The gravy is so flavorful.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

                 **BREE'S BALDERDASH**
Come join the "Dash" crowd and laugh a bit and maybe
even shed a tear at the stories, jokes, trivia, recipes and
odds & ends I have gathered for you to enjoy. Guaranteed
to start your day with a smile every Mon-Wed and Friday.
To join Bree's Balderdash send a blank email to:
BreesBalderda-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Jo shares (via Bree):

     Handy Dandy Measurement Conversion Chart

a smidgen = 1/32 teaspoon
a little bit = 5/16 Tablespoon
a tad = 5/3 teaspoon *
a pinch = 3/14 teaspoon
a sprinkle = 8/9 teaspoon
just enough = a shade less than too much
a bunch = 1 6/33 cup
just a dab = 1/6 of 3/8 cup
a handful = 3/7 of small hand, 9/11 of a large hand
feels right = your guess is as good as mine!

As you can see, it is all tongue-in-cheek. Someone had a
lot of fun with fractions!

And this is the Housewife's Lament:

Too little to save,
Too much to dump;
That's what makes
The housewife plump.

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Tired of losing money on the Internet? Learn the REAL
truth about what it takes to make money Online. No
hype, no bull. Former truck driver turned six figure
income earner shows you how he did it! Visit
http://www.internetcashplanet.com/subscribe.htm
and subscribe today!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: PBJ Roll-Ups

Reader Chelsea shares:

Layer creamy peanut butter on a flour tortilla with
jelly or fruit spread and roll up "wrap" or "jellyroll"
style. Slice crosswise into pieces. Select the size
tortilla depending on your child's appetite.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Potty Train Your Cat!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny618.html

Dropping Off the Alimony Check!
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320012

How Low Can He Go?
http://ugrin.com/?91-525

Rah, Rah!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny619.html

It's a Guy Thing!
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320845

New Microsoft Mouse!
http://ugrin.com/?91-526

Dogs Will Eat Anything!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny620.html

Kentucky Rest Stop
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320793

Thought for the Day...
http://www.fun-lists.com/cgi-bin/g.cgi?666.11.67.1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Jeanne's German Noodles

Reader Jeanne shares:

             JEANNE'S GERMAN NOODLES

1 lb package wide egg noodles
1-1/2 cups crushed saltines
3 tbs butter or margarine

Cook noodles and drain. While noodles are cooking, melt
butter or margarine in a frying pan. Add crushed saltines
and brown lightly. Add drained noodles and toss lightly.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

AAmazing Grace: For a Free Daily Dose of Christian Cheer,
Inspiration, Trivia and the Word, this is the Right E-zine for
you! Here is what our subscribers are saying about the Cheer:
"Thank you so much for the daily e-mails, they're wonderful &
very helpful!" Every New Subscriber gets a Free PC Bible d/l.
Send a blank e-mail to: Subscrib-@aamazinggrace.org

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader MaryB shares:

               HAMLET BY SHAKESPAW

To go outside, and there perchance to stay
Or to remain within: that is the question:
Whether 'tis better for a cat to suffer
The cuffs and buffets of inclement weather
That Nature rains on those who roam abroad,
Or take a nap upon a scrap of carpet,
And so by dozing melt the solid hours
That clog the clock's bright gears with sullen time
And stall the dinner bell.

To sit, to stare Outdoors, and by a stare to seem to state
A wish to venture forth without delay,
Then when the portal's opened up, to stand
As if transfixed by doubt.

To prowl; to sleep;
To choose not knowing when we may once more
Our readmittance gain: aye, there's the hairball;
For if a paw were shaped to turn a knob,
Or work a lock or slip a window-catch,
And going out and coming in were made
As simple as the breaking of a bowl,
What cat would bear the household's petty plagues,
The cook's well-practiced kicks, the butler's broom,
The infant's careless pokes, the tickled ears,
The trampled tail, and all the daily shocks
That fur is heir to, when, of his own free will,
He might his exodus or entrance make
With a mere mitten?

Who would spaniels fear,
Or strays trespassing from a neighbor's yard,
But that the dread of our unheeded cries
And scratches at a barricaded door
No claw can open up, dispels our nerve
And makes us rather bear our humans' faults
Than run away to unguessed miseries?

Thus caution doth make house cats of us all;
And thus the bristling hair of resolution
Is softened up with the pale brush of thought,
And since our choices hinge on weighty things,
We pause upon the threshold of decision.

Shakespaw

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

    *** F R E E C L E A N J O K E S ***
Marty's Joke of the Day - 100% Clean Jokes
       The FAMILY-ORIENTED joke list!

Join us- mailto:martysjotd-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Jeanne's Green Beans Almondine

Reader Jeanne shares:

         JEANNE'S GREEN BEANS ALMONDINE

1 quart green beans
4 sprigs fresh mint or 1 tsp. dried mint
2 tsps lemon juice
Water to cover
3 tbs butter or margarine
1/2 cup thinly slivered almonds

Cook green beans, mint and lemon juice. While beans are
cooking, saute almonds in butter or margarine until they
are golden brown. Drain beans and pour almonds on top.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LynnLynn's Vittles Links

LynnLynn, the uncontested "World's FINEST Web Link Expert",
brings you today's best Vittles links...

Paul Newman's Own
http://www.newmansown.com/whats_new/default.html

Woman's Day Magazine
http://www.womansday.com/xp6/WomansDay/home.xml

Did you know that LynnLynn actually publishes links that
don't have anything to do with Vittles? Is there a world
beyond Vittles? Well... check out LynnLynn's links and find out...
<A HREF=" mailto:LynnLynns-lin-@yahoogroups.com ">
Subscribe to LynnLynns Links! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL

Reader SandyU shares:

               FLORIDIAN PRAYER

Bless this house, oh Lord, we cry,
Please keep it cool in mid-July.

Bless the walls where termites dine,
While ants and roaches march in time.

Bless our yard where spiders pass
Fire ant castles in the grass.

Bless the garage, a home to please
Carpenter beetles, ticks and fleas.

Bless the love bugs, two by two,
The gnats and mosquitoes that feed on you.

Millions of creatures that fly or crawl,
In Florida, Lord, you've put them all!

But this is home, and here we'll stay,
So thank you Lord for INSECT SPRAY!

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

               ***HOLLYWEIRD REPORT ***
You've seen The Enquirer? People? Entertainment Weekly?
Interested in the latest Hollywood scoops? Of course!
Catch the latest humorous happenings in Hollyweird Report!
Includes movie reviews and outrageous quotes from the stars!
e-mail: laughloungeholl-@topica.com
<A HREF=" mailto:laughloungeholl-@topica.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Fresh Mushroom Nuggets

Reader Judy shares:

             FRESH MUSHROOM NUGGETS

1 lb. fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup baking mix or self-rising flour
3/4 cup club soda
Dash of garlic salt
Peanut oil or oil of your choice

Rinse mushrooms and pat dry with paper towel. In a bowl
blend the flour, garlic salt and club soda until smooth.
Dip mushrooms in batter and fry in about one inch of oil
until golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.

Enjoy!!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader BeFair shares a Bavarian Cake recipe for Lori:

   Go to local supermarket and buy Bavarian cheese, then
   buy 1 cake mix, bake cake in oven. When cake is done
   and still warm, spread cheese on bottom and on top and
   in middle. :et cool and then frost over the cheese.
   Bavarian cheese is no different than Swiss cheese. It
   just doesn't have the holes. You can substitute Swiss
   cheese, but you wont get full coverage of cheese
   everywhere and it will not look as pretty but will still
   taste just as good.

   And then while eating cake, watch tape of Bavaria, and you
   will think you are there. Talk about a dessert... nothing
   like it anywhere, except that restaurant you mentioned.

Reader Sandy asks:

   I am looking for a bottled flavoring for pound cake. When
   I was a child, my mother made a pound cake with bottled
   flavor added. I don't know what this flavor was - just that
   it was red in color. You couldn't buy it in a store, and I
   haven't found it anywhere. Does anybody know what this
   flavoring is & where to buy it? It made the cake taste
   sooooo good!

Can any of you readers help Sandy? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Flavoring ">
Send flavoring info for Sandy </A>

Reader Beverly writes in:

   I can't tell you how much I appreciate your sugar free
   and diabetic recipes. Both of my parents struggle with
   their diabetic diets and your recipes have made them feel
   100% better about it. Not only do they add tasty new additions
   to the menu, but they also get a feeling of support, that
   they're not alone in their dislike of the usual fare offered.

   Keep up the good work!

Reader Laura shares:

   In reference to the "great fruit" dip with cream cheese
   and marshmallow crème -- I have a variation.

   Mix strawberry flavored soft cream cheese with the
   marshmallow creme. Let set at room temperature. Slice angel
   food cake to serving size. Top with cream cheese mixture and
   top that with a combination of berries that have been added
   to a sauce.

   Sauce:
   1 cup dark juice or koolaid
   1/2 cup sugar
   2 TBSP. corn starch
   Bring to boil and cook until thickened. Cool and add 4 cups
   of berries (I use a combination of blackberry, raspberry,
   and blueberry).

   This is real yummy and very addicting. ENJOY!

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Subscribe to our other publications:
<A HREF=" mailto:gardenwise-@topica.com ">GardenWise </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:thekidzkingd-@topica.com ">Kidz Kingdom </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:laughloungeholl-@topica.com ">Hollyweird
</A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

Keep those e-cards and e-letters coming:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Talk to Cat ">
Talk to Cat </A>

HELP US GROW... Because you shouldn't keep something
this good all to yourself! Feel free to forward this
issue to your friends and enemies. Please keep this
trailer intact so they can subscribe too.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Volunteer Vittles is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published
three times each week. We claim no copyright on any recipe
published in Volunteer Vittles unless otherwise noted.
Although Hints from Helga, and Volunteer Vittles as a
whole are Copyright © 2001 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.