Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 291  Cat Adams
 Oct 06, 2001 23:01 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 291
October 6, 2001

Happy Thanksgiving Day to our Canadian readers!
Happy Columbus Day to our U.S. readers!

We'd also like to congratulate our dear friend Bree
who just published her 100th issue of Bree's Balderdash.
Congratulations, Bree! If you haven't tried Balderdash,
you're missing out on a great e-zine! Give it a try!
Subscribe to Bree's Balderdash</a>

Editorial note: We will be publishing Volunteer Vittles
once per week until the end of the year. Hopefully, that
will give you all lots of time to go buy our Christmas
presents [SMILE].

Thanks for voting for Volunteer Vittles in the
List Fights! The good news: we're up to position 4!
The bad news: we're in 4th place.

Please keep voting for us (and, remember, you can
vote once a day to help us get caught up).
Vote for Volunteer Vittles</a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Comment ">
Send comments to Volunteer Vittles! </A>

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Crockpot Creole Chicken
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Gummy Bears
. Cute Toons
. Recipe: Sweet Potato Casserole
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Chili Dip
. LynnLynn's Vittles Links
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Daredevil Dip
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Do you like movies? Do you think you can tell the name
of a movie, just by reading the plot? Subscribe to the
FREE newsletter namethatmovie and see if you can.
Simply send an email, with subscribe in the BODY of
the message, to mailto:nametha-@netconnect.com.au

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Crockpot Creole Chicken

Reader JudyR (from Florida) shares:

           CROCKPOT CREOLE CHICKEN

8 chicken thighs (I used 3 big breasts)
1 can diced tomatoes (I used 1 can whole tomatoes chopped up)
1 can tomato paste (I used 1 can Rotel drained)
1 chopped bell pepper
1 chopped onion chopped ham (I used one thick slice ham chopped up)
diced sausage (I left this out only because I didn't have any)
Tabasco sauce to taste (I left this out)

Throw it all in the crock and cook on low 4-5 hours. I thickened
it a little at the end with cornstarch. I served it over brown
rice. The ham gave it really good flavor. We really liked it.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

             *** JUST JEANNE ***
Love to cook? Love to can and preserve? Love your pets?
Have a veggie and herb garden? Love a good clean chuckle?
Need good household hints? Then come join us for good clean
fun with your friends at "JUST JEANNE"
To get your FREE subscription:
e-mail: mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
<A HREF=" mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Char asked:

   Dear Helga, I have a nice white sleeveless turtleneck
   top that I love and have had for a couple of years.
   I've noticed that the older it gets, the yellower it
   gets in the armpit area. I have also noticed this on
   some of my white t-shirts.

   I'm not the type of person that perspires a lot, so
   I'm assuming that it has something to do with my
   deodorant. I have tried everything to get rid of it.
   Even bleach doesn't seem to help.

   Is there a way to get the stains out, or maybe prevent
   them? Thanks.

Thank you all for sending in your advice! Your suggestions
follow.

Reader Luanne shares:

Hi there, as a reader of this great e-zine, I thought
I would send you my tip for the stains. Add 1 cup of
dishwasher detergent and 1 cup of Clorox to the medium
water setting on your washer, using HOT water. Let the
water agitate a minute before you add the whites and
let soak for a couple of hours. Wash as usual and your
stains should be gone.

Sometimes I just soak them in the kitchen sink when I
only have a couple of pieces that need attention. If
they are really stained, you might have to do this a
couple of times.

Any detergent will do. You do not have to buy the
expensive one. The store brand works fine.

I hope this little tidbit helps and keep up the great
work on this e-zine.

Reader Melanie (from Kentucky) advises:

   A wonderful product that has been widely advertised on
   TV is OXICLEAN. It is a wonder at taking out organic
   stains such as perspiration, blood, foods & beverages,
   etc. Just prepare a soak per the instructions on the can
   and let the items sit in the mix for a few hours. It works
   wonders! This can be purchased on-line at
   http://www.oxiclean.com/ and can be found at Walgreens
   and some local grocery stores.

   Hope this helps!

Reader Nancy tell us:

   Try vinegar on the yellow stains.

Reader Judy writes in:

   Here is the answer to your problem.

   Take 1/4 cup powdered Clorox 2
   1/4 cup dishwasher detergent (not liquid dish detergent
      but the kind you use for an electric dishwasher)
   5 quarts hot water.

   Stir up and soak white clothes overnight.

   This will take the yellow out of old white clothes.

   Good luck.

Reader Tillie shares:

   Do you use cold water to wash it? I noticed my shirts
   had that too, so I switched to warm water. To make sure
   it gets clean, I add 1/4 cup ammonia to the wash water,
   and 1 cup white vinegar to the rinse water. No more
   problems for me!

Reader Kay suggests:

   Try Automatic dishwasher soap. It takes out yellowing
   in older linens and doilies.

Reader Patricia advises:

   Char - have you tried rubbing the stain with lemon and
   setting in the sun? It might help.

Reader CC (from North Carolina) shares:

   You might try 1/2 cup laundry bleach and 1/4 cup
   dishwasher detergent in a small amount of hot water
   (turn washer to lowest load). This works to whiten
   lingerie that has gotten dingy.

Reader Susan tells us:

   Hi, just a thought, have you tried Mrs. Stewart's Blueing?
   I just love the stuff and my whites are so bright. I usually
   use it in every other wash. Good luck. It really works for me.

Reader MaryR writes in:

   I find that SPRAY N WASH Laundry Stain Remover stain
   fighting Bleach GEL will get stains out, but be sure the
   garment is white as it will take the color out. I would try
   it on an old shirt first. It is a 16 oz size gel.

On another topic, reader Barbara shares:

   Thanks to all those who sent advice about TERRO the ant
   killer. It worked!!!!

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

cLEAN cUT jOKES aND tOONS
Who Says Clean Jokes Can't Be Funny??
Join cLEAN cUT jOKES aND tOONS And See For Your Self!!
It's Free And Easy Just Send An Email To The Address Below
mailto:todays-@att.net?SUBJECT=CleanCutJokes
<A HREF=" mailto:todays-@att.net?SUBJECT=CleanCutJokes ">
Join </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Gummy Bears

Reader Jessie shares:

                 GUMMY BEARS

1 package sugar free Jello, any flavor
6 packages gelatin powder, unsweetened, unflavored
1/2 cup cold water

In a small saucepan, mix flavored and unflavored gelatin.
Stir it up. Pour cold water in, stir with spatula until
you have a messy blob. Turn heat on medium, melt blob.
Stir until blob is melted. Pour into bear molds. Stick in
freezer for 10 minutes to cool.

If you don't have bear molds, take the rack out of your
toaster oven and put it on the counter. Place a big sheet
of aluminum foil over it. Shove the aluminum foil down
into the gaps, leaving strip0like molds. Presto! Gummy worms.

Note from Jessie: I don't remember who sent me this recipe,
but it's GREAT!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Caveman Video Arcade?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny624.html

I Hate Work!
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320770

You Busy?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny625.html

PMS Alert!
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320771

Need a Marriage Counselor?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny626.html

Do I Talk Too Much?
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320774

Doggy Shrink
http://www.fun-lists.com/cgi-bin/g.cgi?666.7.824.1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Sweet Potato Casserole

Reader Diane shares (for Donna):

             SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

2 C Mashed Sweet Potatoes (can use canned)
2 tsp Vanilla
3/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 C Butter
1 tsp Flour
2 Eggs, beaten

Topping
1 C Pecans, chopped
2/3 Butter
1/2 Flour
1 C Brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all the casserole ingredients
and pour into greased 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Mix the
topping ingredients together and sprinkle evenly over the
top of the sweet potato mixture and bake in a 350F oven for
30 to 35 minutes.

<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

        *** F R E E C L E A N J O K E S ***
       Marty's Joke of the Day - 100% Clean Jokes
            The FAMILY-ORIENTED joke list!

Join us- mailto:martysjotd-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Tillie (who recently lost her beloved cat) shares:

Hi Cat. Thanks for the pet support. I found some poem links
and then wrote something of my own - not very poetic
but fitting for 2 young men who had to put their cat to
sleep.

I'll generalize here and say "you know men...", but they
accepted my hugs and cried and then found therapeutic
value in building a burial box from the cat's favorite piece
of furniture to scratch on.

I didn't bat an eye as one son disassembled that shelf and
got out the saw while the other son took apart his favorite
pillow and wrapped him in the fleece that was the cover.
They buried the cat in the place I think the cat chose himself:
being an indoor cat we had taken him outside that sad morning
and let him finally wander in the garden he watched daily from
the window.

He settled in a nice spot under an ancient cement sink filled
with lilies, and that's where he is buried now. I don't know
how you decide what to publish in the newsletter but here's my
note to my sons and maybe it would help someone else??

                      Korckey

My Cat, or Korck! I loved to hear you call my name
The shoelaces- the big soft pillow you made just for me-
The shirt you sacrificed gladly when I was sick-
And the fur of mine you gladly ''wore'' on every piece of clothing
Thank you for that!

For picking ME out of the group in the hay filled barn-
for the boxes and wrapping paper you saved for me,
for tucking me in your shirt and carrying me around, and
even for arguing over who loved me most- (I loved you both!)
Thank you for that!

Years of your care, in good times and bad-
For new playmates of my own kind
For occasional catnip and a ladder to scratch,
and for letting me lick your head and sleep on your beds,
Thank you for that!

I know ''my boys'' did their best,
And the trouble I gave your heart at the end
You saw my pain and put your feelings aside for mine
And I couldn't ask for a better place to have spent my days
than with you two...the reason for your sadness is because
of our together gladness!

So remember me with a smile when you see the sun warming a
patch of red rug,
or in the middle of the dining room table and even now
shining on my own special resting place in the garden.
Thank you for that.

[Editor's note: Thanks, Tillie! Korckey was obviously
a very special cat.]

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Tired of losing money on the Internet? Learn the REAL
truth about what it takes to make money Online. No
hype, no bull. Former truck driver turned six figure
income earner shows you how he did it! Visit
http://www.internetcashplanet.com/subscribe.htm
and subscribe today!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Chili Dip

Reader Sally Jo shares:

                   CHILI DIP

One lg. 32oz. can of your favorite chili, with or without beans
2 lb. of beef
2 lb. Velveeta cheese

Brown the hamburger meat. Get a big pot to put the chili in
to warm up. Then put the hamburger in the chili pot. Cut up
the cheese in small cubes and add to the pot. Keep stirring
until melted all together.

You can add hot peppers to this if you like and kidney beans.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LynnLynn's Vittles Links

LynnLynn, the uncontested "World's FINEST Web Link Expert",
brings you today's best Vittles links...

Christmas Cookies
http://www.christmas-cookies.com/

Kraft - Celebrating the Holidays
http://promotions.go.com/go/kraft/holidays.html

Did you know that LynnLynn actually publishes links that
don't have anything to do with Vittles? Is there a world
beyond Vittles? Well... check out LynnLynn's links and find out...
<A HREF=" mailto:LynnLynns-lin-@yahoogroups.com ">
Subscribe to LynnLynns Links! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL

Reader Dianne shares:

                 COOKING TERMS

Tongue: A variety of meat, rarely served because it
clearly crosses the line between a cut of beef and a
piece of dead cow.

Yogurt: Semi-solid dairy product made from partially
evaporated and fermented milk. Yogurt is one of only
three foods that taste exactly the same as they sound.
The other two are goulash and squid.

Recipe: A series of step-by-step instructions for preparing
ingredients you forgot to buy, in utensils you don't own,
to make a dish the dog won't eat.

Porridge: Thick oatmeal rarely found on American tables
since children were granted the right to sue their parents.
The name is an amalgamation of the words "Putrid," "hORRId,"
and "sluDGE."

Preheat: To turn on the heat in an oven for a period of time
before cooking a dish, so that the fingers may be burned when
the food is put in, as well as when it is removed.

Oven: Compact home incinerator used for disposing of bulky
pieces of meat and poultry.

Microwave Oven: Space-age kitchen appliance that uses the
principle of radar to locate and immediately destroy any food
placed within the cooking compartment.

Calorie: Basic measure of the amount of rationalization
offered by the average individual prior to taking a second
helping of a particular food.

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

AAmazing Grace: For a Free Daily Dose of Christian Cheer,
Inspiration, Trivia and the Word, this is the Right E-zine for
you! Here is what our subscribers are saying about the Cheer:
"Thank you so much for the daily e-mails, they're wonderful &
very helpful!" Every New Subscriber gets a Free PC Bible d/l.
Send a blank e-mail to: Subscrib-@aamazinggrace.org

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Daredevil Dip

Reader Joyce shares:

                  DAREDEVIL DIP

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mild yellow mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3-4 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons sliced green onions and tops
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Assorted dippers: crackers, vegetables, pretzels, etc.

Beat cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mustard and 2 tablespoons
horseradish in bowl at high speed until smooth. Mix in enough
milk to make desired dip consistency; mix in 3 tablespoons
green onions and hot pepper sauce.

Sprinkle top of dip with remaining 1 tablespoon green onion.
Serve with assorted dippers.

Double Daredevil Dip: Make dip as above, increasing horseradish
to 4 tablespoons and hot pepper sauce to 1 teaspoon - if you dare!!
Makes about 2-1/2 cups.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Surfin' Granny asks:

   Please, this old arthritic lady would love to have a
   recipe for NO KNEAD bread or rolls. I had one years ago
   but loaned it to the wrong person.

Can any of you readers help Surfin' Granny? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=NoKnead ">
Send "no knead" bread recipe for Granny </A>

Reader Jessie shares:

   Hi, Cat! I thought that my friends at Volunteer Vittles
   might enjoy this site. It shows you have to make a
   decoupage Victorian box.

   http://www.makestuff.com/decoupage_boxes.html

   I just love Volunteer Vittles! Thanks.

Reader Nancy asks:

   Hello and HELP? I have a question about canning relish.
   While making a vegetable relish, I tasted the mixture
   after it had been mixed with salt and chilled for 12
   hours (before adding vinegar etc.). I loved the flavor,
   and wondered if this can be canned as is. No vinegar or
   spices, just the salt. If so, I need directions. Sure
   would appreciate any help you can give me.

Any advice for Nancy? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Relish ">
Send relish canning info for Nancy </A>

Reader Patti (from Washington) writes in:

   Hello. You mentioned making comfort food. I have been
   doing that too, since the terrorist attack. Making homemade
   chili, bread and other things. Other people I know have
   been doing this too. Isn't it strange how we grieve and
   try to get back to normal and the way we do it?

Now that you mention it, Patti... I guess that my family
and I have been, too. Probably reminds us of families and
good times, maybe?

Reader GrannyB shares (for Lorraine):

                    AMBROSIA

1 (oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 (8oz) can fruit cocktail
1 (8oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 (11oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 (10oz) jar maraschino cherries, drained, (optional)
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine the whipped topping, coconut,
chopped nuts, fruit cocktail, pineapple, mandarin oranges,
marshmallows, cherries, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix together
well and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes. Makes 6 to 10
servings.

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Subscribe to our other publications:
<A HREF=" mailto:gardenwise-@topica.com ">GardenWise </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:thekidzkingd-@topica.com ">Kidz Kingdom </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:laughloungeholl-@topica.com ">Hollyweird
</A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

Keep those e-cards and e-letters coming:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Talk to Cat ">
Talk to Cat </A>

HELP US GROW... Because you shouldn't keep something
this good all to yourself! Feel free to forward this
issue to your friends and enemies. Please keep this
trailer intact so they can subscribe too.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Volunteer Vittles is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published
three times each week. We claim no copyright on any recipe
published in Volunteer Vittles unless otherwise noted.
Although Hints from Helga, and Volunteer Vittles as a
whole are Copyright 2001 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.