Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 294  Cat Adams
 Nov 10, 2001 16:08 PST
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 294
November 10, 2001

I want to wish a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my daughter,
Sandie (well, actually, it's "Sandy" but she doesn't know
how to spell it right [SMILE]). Happy birthday, sweetheart!

And a GREAT BIG happy birthday to our dear friend and
Volunteer Vittles reader, Jeanne, too! Have you tried
Jeanne's e-zine "Just Jeanne" yet? If not, you're missing
out on a wonderful treat. To subscribe, send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com

THANKS for voting in the List Fights!
We really NEED your votes because we're in 3rd place.
PLEASE keep voting... you can vote once every day.
VOTE for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Comment ">
Send comments to Volunteer Vittles! </A>

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Pot Roast in Onion Gravy
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Mini Fruit Pies
. Cute Toons
. Recipe: No-Knead Rolls
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Cranberry Relish
. Recommended Web Sites
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Ice Cream Peanut Butter Pie
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Roses are red, Violets are blue,
We have some of the best poetry for you!!!

HeartTalkforPo-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Pot Roast in Onion Gravy

Reader Lois shares:

           POT ROAST IN ONION GRAVY

4-lb. boneless Round Beef Roast, fat trimmed and
   twine left on
Salt to taste
Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 large Onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried Thyme
1/2 cup Brewed Coffee OR
1 tsp. Instant Coffee dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water
2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 Tbs. Water

Season the beef roast with salt and pepper to taste. In a
large heavy skillet, warm one tablespoon of olive oil over
medium-high heat. Add the beef roast and sear the outside
until browned on all sides (can take up to 5 minutes on
each side). Transfer the roast to a 3-1/2-quartslow cooker.

Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the same skillet and
reduce the heat to medium. Sauté the onions, stirring, for
about 7 minutes or until they are soft and golden. Add the
garlic and thyme; sauté, stirring, for about a minute more.
Pour in the coffee and balsamic vinegar, and allow to warm
for about a minute; then pour the mixture over the beef in
the crock pot.

Cover and cook on high setting until the beef is tender, but
not yet falling apart (usually about 4 1/2 hours). Transfer
the beef to a clean cutting board and tent with foil to
maintain its heat. Let the roast rest for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour the juices from the slow cooking into a medium
saucepan. Skim off the fat and bring the juices to a boil over
medium-high heat. In a small bowl, blend together the cornstarch
and water. Add the mixture to the saucepan and cook, whisking
constantly, until the gravy has thickened slightly.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 12
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

   %%%%%%%%%Greek Recipes %%%%%%%%%%
Missing the Mediterranean? Need a bit of sun, sea and
good healthy food? I can grant you one of your wishes :
Join Greek Recipes now and receive a tasty bit of Greece!
Let me show you the healthy way to cook!
All recipes are sent with a photo!
Join Now!
Send a blank email to greek-recipe-@domeus.co.uk

http://www.domeus.co.uk/groups/greek-recipes

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Carol asked:

   I don't know how I can be such a slob but I got
   chocolate custard on a knit shirt (60%cotton/40% rayon)
   and can't get it out. I have used Shout twice and it is
   lighter but NOT gone. I have not put it in the dryer.
   Any suggestions? Thanks and keep up the good work on the
   ezine!

Thanks to all of you readers who sent in suggestions for
Carol. Your tips follow...

Reader Fluffy shares:

   Regarding the chocolate on your cotton and rayon shirt...
   try "Zout". I get it at Wal-Mart, but some grocery stores
   might have it.

Reader Kris suggests:

   Try Oxyclean, it works great on all stains... including
   chocolate. It can be foud in most large supermarkets,
   Walmart, Sam's etc. Make a paste with it... let it sit a
   bit then wash as usual.

Reader Pat tells us:

   I was in the Dry Cleaning business for years, and chocolate
   as well as all food stains are proteins, which require a
   cleaner that is intended for just that type of stain. Shout
   is meant more for grease stains.

   Since Carol has not dried the garment in the dryer, she might
   try dampening the area with COLD water, and rubbing LIQUID JOY
   into the stain, and working it in until the stain disappears,
   then launder as usual. If she had used COLD water and LIQUID
   JOY in the first place, I think she would have had better luck.

   As long as she has not placed the garment in the dryer or
   laundered in WARM OR HOT water, the stain has not permanently
   set.

   If the above method is not successful, I suggest she take it to
   a Dry Cleaner, inform them of all she has used, and perhaps they
   can still remove the stain. Nothing is guaranteed 100%, but I
   have great success with JOY and COLD water on those types of
   stains, if something else has not been used first.

   Of course, when in the Dry Cleaning business, we used chemicals
   meant especially for just such stains, as all garments cannot
   be immersed in water. Carol's garment of 60% cotton & 40% rayon
   does present a problem, and probably should have been taken to a
   Dry Cleaner first. Cotton does absorb stains easily, and are
   difficult to remove, under any circumstance.

   Using Liquid Joy and Cold water is still worth a shot. Good Luck!

Reader H.W. and Carol write in:

   Use carbona Stain Devils spot remover for coffee, tea, & cola.
   It also removes cocoa, perspiration and deodorant stains from
   fabrics. Use per instructions on back of container. I bought
   mine at Wal-mart.

Reader TashA recommends:

   Fels Naptha soap is good for stains. It is a lye soap but
   doesn't take out color. I use a wet toothbrush to scrub the
   soap into the stain and then I launder. Works on most stains,
   new or old.

Reader C4'sBabe shares:

   Oxyclean will take out everything... soak or paste... this stuff
   is great!!!

Reader BarQ agrees:

   Try oxyclean. I have heard it works great. Good luck.

Reader Jeannie suggests:

   Hi, I have found that Simple Green takes out chocolate stains,
   also good on blood or any other protein stain. I sometimes use
   it full strength but directions say to dilute with water. If
   you use full strength, have garment wet before applying and
   rinse well. Good luck.

Reader Kate advises:

   Wash using a borax solution.

Reader Jo writes in:

   Carol... try using 409 (or the generic from WalMart). It seems
   to take out any kind of stain.

GrannyB says:

   Oxyclean.

Reader MaryB agrees:

   Soak it in a solution of Oxiclean and cold water for a few
   minutes. Then wash in cold water.

Reader David recommends:

   Tell Carol to use full-strength Formula 409 and spray it
   directly onto the stain and rub it in. This will most likely
   take out the stain... she might want to test it on an
   inconspicuous part of the garment first, but it must be
   rinsed out as soon as she finishes rubbing and removing the
   stains...

Reader Bobbie suggests:

   Have you ever used any AMWAY products? If I get a tough stain
   On anything, I use L O C from Amway. It will remove about
   anything. Love it. Just put some on the spot and let it set
   for a while and put in washer, or by hand, and presto it is
   gone. Good Luck.

   Let me know if you get it out and how the AmWay works. You get
   this from a AMWAY dealer. Look in phone book, there should be
   at least one listed. The gallon is a little expensive, but can
   get smaller containers to see if you are going to like it.
   Good Luck.

Reader Millie writes in:

   Soak it in automatic dishwasher liquid for a bit and run it
   through you regular cycle.

Readers John & Helen share:

   Try using goop. It is a hand cleaner but it will get out stains
   that have been there for awhile.

Reader Lulu advises:

   I have been in the dry cleaning business for 15 years. If you
   lived in Bountiful Utah I would say take it to Bountiful family
   cleaners. I say take it to a local cleaners.

Reader SlayB tells us:

   Once Again, this sounds like a good job for OxiClean. The stain
   is organic -- chocolate custard, so this product should easily
   remove it.

   http://www.oxiclean.com/

Reader Lesa adds:

   Make a paste out of Oxy Clean and add warm water and rub it
   into the dampened stain. Let it set for several hours. It
   took chocolate stains out of a white baby shirt with no scrubbing.

Reader Kim suggests:

   Try using equal amounts of dry bleach and dry dishwasher soap
   and soak in the hottest water you can, at least overnite. I got
   this tip from the Tightwadders Gazette and it does take a lot
   of stains out.

   I hope it works for you. I have also used it on stains that
   have been set in by using the dryer. 75% of the time it works.

Reader Jo asks:

   I have a question for you. I live out in the country and have
   very hard, rusty water which builds up in my dog's self watering
   bottle. It has a small neck so can't get in there to clean it.
   Any suggestions on how to get the rust out of this bottle? Thank
   you for any suggestions.

Can any of you readers help Jo? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Rust ">
Send rust info for Jo </A>

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Marianna's Heart and Home -- Start Your Day Here!

There's so much to find here from Freebies and the Cooks' Guide
to Other Freebie Sites, Other Cooking Sites and info/links For
Writers, Families, crafters, seasons/holidays and more!

To Subscribe, visit our website at:
http://members.tripod.com/miamari/index.htm
or send an e-mail with "Subscribe" in the subject line to:
mariann-@hotmail.com
<A HREF=" mailto:mariann-@hotmail.com?subject=Subscribe ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Mini Fruit Pies

Reader Sally Jo shares:

                MINI FRUIT PIES

1 package refrigerated already made pie crusts
1 can apple pie filling (or cherry or blueberry)
small amount powdered sugar

Open pie crusts, and cut in half. Put 1/4 cup pie filling
on each half. Fold each half in half, and bake according
to manufacturer's directions.

Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar. Makes 4 pies.

***Note- you may want to cut each crust into 1/4ths and
make into 8 smaller pies. Great treat for kids! Also,
choose a different flavor pie filling, if desired.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Need a Pet?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny641.html

Where's the Scale?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny642.html

Clever Turkeys!
http://www.fun-lists.com/cgi-bin/g.cgi?666.3.19.1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: No-Knead Rolls

Reader Millie shares (for Surfin' Granny):

                NO-KNEAD ROLLS

1 cake yeast or equal dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 egg
3 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Place shortening, salt,
and sugar in a separate bowl. Add boiling water and stir
until dissolved. Cool to lukewarm and add yeast and beaten
egg. Add 3 C flour or more to make soft dough. Place in
greased bowl, cover with plate and chill 2 to 24 hrs.

Pinch off rolls and put in muffin tins and brush with butter.
Let rise about 2 hrs.

Bake 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 2 dozen.

I think My Granny made this in a loaf pan as well.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

DO YOU LOVE PEOPLE AND THEIR STORIES?
Then you'll love this upbeat E-Zine!
JustFolks believes everyone has a story
.and deserves a chance to share it!
JUSTFOLKS: Positive news for positive people!
Visit http://justfolks.net
Subscribe by e-mailing justfolks--@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Chelsea (the STAR of "Just Jeanne") shares:

           WHY DOGS ARE BETTER THAN CATS
            (an admittedly biased list)

Dogs come when you call them.
Cats take a message to get back to you.

Dogs let you give them a bath and love you anyway.
Cats take out a contract on your life.

Dogs bark to wake you up if the house is on fire.
Cats sneak out the back door.

Dogs bring you your slippers and the newspaper.
Cats bring you a dead mouse.

Dogs play Frisbee with you all afternoon.
Cats take a three-hour nap.

Dogs sit on the car seat next to you.
Cats require a private box to go at all.

Dogs greet you and lick your face when you come home from work.
Cats are mad that you went.

Dogs sit, lie down, and heel on command.
Cats smirk and walk away.

Dogs tilt their heads and listen whenever you talk.
Cats yawn and close their eyes.

Dogs give you total love forever.
Cats make you pay for every mistake you've ever made.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

AAmazing Grace: For a Free Daily Dose of Christian Cheer,
Inspiration, Trivia and the Word, this is the Right E-zine for
you! Here is what our subscribers are saying about the Cheer:
"Thank you so much for the daily e-mails, they're wonderful &
very helpful!" Every New Subscriber gets a Free PC Bible d/l.
Send a blank e-mail to: Subscrib-@aamazinggrace.org

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Cranberry Relish (for Tammy)

Thank you all for sending in cranberry sauce/relish
recipes for Tammy. Here's three (with more to follow
in future issues):

Reader Jo shares:

I was given this recipe for homemade cranberry sauce a
few years ago. My family has fallen in love with it. I
hope you like it.

               CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 orange, washed (peel and all)
1 cup fresh whole cranberries
   (I tend to use more than a cup, 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup sugar

Cut the orange into pieces, remember do not peel the orange.
Put the orange, cranberries and sugar in a blender. I use
my food processor. Process until you get the sugar dissolved
and you have the consistency you want. This is really great
with just about anything. I like it with ham as well as turkey.

And Carolyn (from Texas) shares:

              CRANBERRY RELISH

1/2 thin skinned orange, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
1 medium apple, unpeeled, seeded and chopped
1 (8 oz) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained.

Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add orange. Cover
with top; process 3 minutes or until orange peel is finely
chopped. Add remaining ingredients, and pulse 4 times, scraping
sides of processor bowl after each pulse. Cover & chill.
Yield 2 1/2 cups (about 4 calories per 2 tablespoons).

Reader Dorothy shares:

               CRANBERRY SAUCE

I too detest the taste of canned cranberry sauce. I do not like
the skin of the cranberry, nor do I want oranges or anything else
in my cranberry sauce so I came up with my own recipe, as follows:

1 bag cranberries
2 cups water
2 cups sugar

Wash cranberries and discard any bad ones. Put cranberries in pan
with water and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to medium heat,
cover pan and cook for 7 minutes.

Strain berries so that you get all the insides of the berries and
no skin (I use a food mill), put back into pan and add sugar. Cook
at medium heat for 10-12 minutes (this time may vary because of
the amount of pectin in the berries. I usually test by dropping a
small amount on a saucer to see how it jells when cool.) Remove
from heat when it starts to jell.

Pour into containers until cool. Refrigerate or freeze.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

June shares:

   Old Time Recipes
   http://www.earlysgifts.com/recipes.htm
   http://www.diskuspublishing.com/otrecipe.html
   http://www.smokymtns.com/vittles1298.htm
   http://waltonfeed.net/old/mama/

Myron recommends:

   100 Top Cooking Sites
   http://www.100topcookingsites.com/

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL

From InsPURRational Mews:
http://www.katscratch.com

              RECIPE FOR MIRACLES

Ingredients:
1 part of knowing who you are
1 part of knowing who you aren't
1 part of knowing what you want
1 part of knowing who you wish to be
1 part of knowing what you already have
1 part of choosing wisely from what you have
1 part of loving and thanking for ALL you have

Instructions:
Combine ingredients together gently and carefully, using
faith and vision. Mix together with strong belief of the
outcome until finely blended.

Use thoughts, words and actions for best results.

Bake until Blessed.
Give thanks again

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

        *** F R E E C L E A N J O K E S ***
       Marty's Joke of the Day - 100% Clean Jokes
            The FAMILY-ORIENTED joke list!

Join us- mailto:martysjotd-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Ice Cream Peanut Butter Pie

Reader Ruth shares:

          ICE CREAM PEANUT BUTTER PIE

1 quart vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup chopped nuts
1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust

In the pie crust, spread 1/2 of the ice cream. Mix corn
syrup and peanut butter. Spread this on top of the ice
cream. Sprinkle with nuts and spread remaining ice cream
on top. Freeze.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Tired of losing money on the Internet? Learn the REAL
truth about what it takes to make money Online. No
hype, no bull. Former truck driver turned six figure
income earner shows you how he did it! Visit
http://www.internetcashplanet.com/subscribe.htm
and subscribe today!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Linda writes in:

   Please thank Jessie for the Gummy Bear recipe. I'm an
   old kid, but I love em' and her recipe is sugar-free,
   which is great!

Reader Shelley asks:

   Hi- I have to tell you how much I look forward to opening
   your newsletter!!! It is great!

   I am looking for a recipe for "Vinegar Pie". A friend of
   mine said that her grandmother used to make it and she sure
   would like to find the recipe. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Do any of you readers have a recipe for Vinegar Pie? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Vinegar_Pie ">
Send vinegar pie recipe for Shelley </A>

Reader Myron shares:

   BB's BBQ Crockpot Pork/Beef

   Cover the roast (pork or beef) with water in crockpot with
   a sliced onion and a few Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce. Crock
   all day on low. Drain when very tender (falling apart). Fork
   shred. Return to crockpot. Add your favorite BBQ sauce and
   heat for a few hours. Serve on buns. I like mine with cole slaw!

Reader Nancy asks:

   Hello, I have a question about egg replacer. The name is soy
   lecithin. I know that lecithin is from egg and I would like to
   know what soy lecithin is, what form it comes in and can it be
   purchased to replace egg in my recipes? Tall order, huh? If you
   can help I'd really be grateful, I cannot use real egg. Thank you.

Can any of you readers help Nancy? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Egg_Replacer ">
Send egg replacer info for Nancy </A>

Reader Jen (from British Columbia) shares a crowd-pleasing recipe
(for Hope):

   Hope, I've never done this before so excuse any errors that
   may happen. When I go to a pot luck, here in BC, I always take
   this dish and the bowl is always empty at the end of the do.
   This recipe may be made ahead and frozen and I imagine it could
   be doubled if necessary. Can't imagine anything going wrong if
   doubled. This dish is so easy and fast to make.

   Hash Brown Casserole

   2 lbs hash browns (large bag)
   1 500ml container sour cream
   2 tins mushroom soup
   1/2 cup melted margarine
   2 cups grated cheddar cheese
   Onion and salt to taste
   Parmesan cheese

   Thaw potatoes slightly for easier mixing. Mix first 6 ingredients
   in 9x13 baking dish. (I use my big dutch oven to mix ingredients
   and then put in a large baking dish.) Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on
   top. Bake for 1 to 1&1/2 hr in 350 oven. That's it.

And reader Nina suggests some crowd-pleasers (for Hope):

   Hope asked for some suggestions on what to feed a large group.
   One of the easiest things I fix for large groups is "bars,"
   like potato bars with all sorts of toppings -- chili,
   cheese/cheese sauce, stroganoff, sour cream, veggies like
   corn or broccoli, or anything else you like with potatoes.
   One way to keep the cost down is to ask everyone to bring
   something, but assign it out so you don't get 25 tubs of sour
   cream.

   We also did a waffle bar once, but you need to have several
   cooks and waffle irons to make that go over well for large
   groups.

   I know you said no to salads, but my family's favorite is
   Taco Salads and more filling than a typical salad bar. Again,
   it's a type of bar with all sorts of toppings: cooked hamburger
   or taco meat, grated cheese, chopped lettuce/tomato/onion,
   refried beans, guacamole, salsa, anything else you can come up
   with. Instead of getting taco salad bowls, I usually just get
   tortilla chips and let them pile the toppings on a bed of chips.
   That way people can take as much or as little as they want.

   Go Italian: Spaghetti usually goes over well. Add some French
   bread, garlic bread or breadsticks. Lasagna is another option,
   but a little pricier.

   Something to keep in mind for when the weather gets colder is
   to serve soups. You can keep them warm in a crockpot/roaster
   oven until they're ready to eat. Serve in bread bowls - those
   will help to satisfy the men with big appetites. One word of
   caution, however, make sure you don't use a broth-based soup.
   The soups need to be cream based or thick like chili or the
   bowls get soggy and leak.

   What about Sloppy Joes or BBQ beef sandwiches?

   Hope you can use some of these ideas, Hope!

Reader Saundra asks:

   Dear Cat, I wonder if any of your readers have recipes for
   dry soup mixes that can be put in jars (like the cookie mixes
   so many people are making now). My sorority is looking to
   sell these for a fund raiser. Thank you,

Can any of you readers help Saundra? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Soup_Mix ">
Send soup mix recipes for Saundra </A>

Reader Sandra suggests a few additions for the Unstuffed Cabbage
recipe recently published:

   Hello. I have used 1 can of tomato juice, a few shakes of
   liquid smoke and a little sugar (sweetener). Let it cook in
   oven and it is soo good.

Reader Susan shares a Strawberry Shortcake Doll pattern (for Irvin):

   Strawberry Shortcake Doll
   http://www.clevercreations.com/crochetpatterns.html

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Subscribe to our other publications:
<A HREF=" mailto:gardenwise-@topica.com ">GardenWise </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:thekidzkingd-@topica.com ">Kidz Kingdom </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:laughloungeholl-@topica.com ">Hollyweird
</A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

Keep those e-cards and e-letters coming:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Talk to Cat ">
Talk to Cat </A>

HELP US GROW... Because you shouldn't keep something
this good all to yourself! Feel free to forward this
issue to your friends and enemies. Please keep this
trailer intact so they can subscribe too.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Volunteer Vittles is a FREE e-zine. We claim no copyright
on any recipe published in Volunteer Vittles unless otherwise
noted. Although Hints from Helga, and Volunteer Vittles as a
whole are Copyright © 2001 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.