Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 295  Cat Adams
 Nov 25, 2001 16:21 PST
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 295
November 25, 2001

We hope that all of our U.S. readers had a wonderful
Thanksgiving. We certainly have a lot to be thankful for...
especially the support of our friends and allies.
God bless you all!

Thanks so much for your votes in the list fights!
We ended up in 3rd place at the end of Round 2 Part 1.
Voting resumes with Part 2 on Monday. PLEASE VOTE!
Remember... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Comment ">
Send comments to Volunteer Vittles! </A>

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Corned Beef 'n' Corona - Crockpot
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Quick PBJ Breakfast
. Cute Toons
. Recipe: Oatmeal Fritters
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Jeanne's English Trifle
. Recommended Web Sites
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: No-Knead English Muffin Bread
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

@@@@@@ Jayne's Recipe World @@@@@
Need a good recipe? Then you are about to subscribe
yourself to the list with the best recipes! What's more...
they all come with a photo! Need more? Send me an email
asking for a particular recipe and I'll do my best to find it!
Join Now!
Send a blank email to: jaynes-recipe-w-@domeus.co.uk
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Corned Beef 'n' Corona - Crockpot

Reader Myron (aka "Beach Boy") shares:

             CORNED BEEF 'N' CORONA

I placed a 4-lb. corned beef (spice packet discarded!)
in the crockpot and bathed it with a 12-oz. bottle of
Corona (mild, Mexican) beer. Crocked all-day (about 12
hours) on low.

It's so-o-o good... tender and tasty. It's already half
gone after only 12 hours! It has a slightly different
taste from the cola version... however, the spices in
the corned beef overpower the beer taste... so if you
don't like beer, don't worry!

Can't wait for some corned beef on rye with deli mustard
later on today!

Happy crocking!

Remember you are welcome to join us at, "Cooking with Beach
Boy," Sundays at 9pm ET, at:

http://busycooks.about.com/home/busycooks/mpchat.htm

<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

"Messages From GOD" is exactly that. 2 to 4 lines of something
that "could" have come directly from GOD -- no matter what your
concept of GOD is. Twice weekly. To Subscribe, send emial to:
MessagesFromG-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Thanks to you all for sending in advice for Nanette.
Your suggestions follow.

Reader Nanette asked:

   I was wondering if any of your readers know a way to
   keep the green from hard mineral well water from
   building up in your hair. I put blond color in and
   it seems to turn it a bit green. Thanks.

Reader GrannyB suggests:

   Try good old vinegar.

Reader Lois shares:

   I don't know for sure but I think the stuff they sell to
   remove pool chlorine from hair would work. Good luck.

Reader Ruth recommends:

   About Nanette's green tinged hair, I found a site,
   www.pioneerthinking.com/beauty.html, where they give
   simple hair rinse ideas, especially for natural and
   unnatural blondes (like me). They give recipes for
   honey/lemon rinse that really does the trick for
   brightening blonde hair and highlights.

   I also use a shampoo by Aussie, called Intermissions,
   Color Enhancing Shampoo "Moonlight Reflections". It's
   a violet color that neutralizes unwanted colors in blonde,
   grey, white and highlighted hair. It is wonderful. I wash
   my hair with it at least once a week and rinse with the
   honey/lemon mixture. It really keeps the unwanted colors
   out of my hair.

   The Pioneer Thinking site has lots of different recipes
   for different colors of hair. Hope this helps, Nanette,
   it worked for me.

Readers John & Helen share:

   Use Malibu shampoo for well water or any other shampoo that
   will take out the impurities in your water.

Reader Shonna suggests:

   I use vinegar in my shampoo once a week to remove buildup
   from styling products. Vinegar works for everything else,
   so it might work to get the green out!

Reader Gail recommends:

   When I was younger (a lot younger) and lived at home, I was
   a natural blonde, and we had hard water. Mom used to rinse
   my hair with 1/2 cup lemon juice. It not only kept it from
   turning off color, it also made it feel smooth and was super
   shiny.

Reader Golde asks:

   I love candles and I have a new carpet and have somehow
   dipped the candle over and there was a lot of melted wax
   and it went onto the carpet... it's bad.

   I have tried getting it off and can't. It splattered in
   such a large area that I have a large floor pillow covering
   it.

   Can you help me? The color of the wax is white, the color
   of the carpet is dark beige. Note: Ice did not work.

   Thank you in advance for any help you can give me... Have
   a nice day.

Can any of you readers help Golde? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Wax ">
Send wax removal info for Golde </A>

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Home Workers Needed !!

You don't have to be a scientist, only need a computer
No fee, no obligations to anyone else, Ever
Just engage yourself to earn as much as you want
Visit our site: http://www.mysiteinc.com/mcf/short.html

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Quick PBJ Breakfast

Reader Sally Jo shares:

                QUICK PBJ BREAKFAST

1 (8-inch) flour tortilla
2 to 3 Tbsp. peanut butter
2 to 3 Tbsp. grape jelly
1 small banana, peeled

Place tortilla on paper towel. Microwave for 10 to 20
seconds on High until the tortilla is soft and warm. Spread
with peanut butter. Top with grape jelly. Place the banana
near the right edge of the tortilla. Fold up the bottom
one-fourth of the tortilla. Bring right edge over the banana
and roll up. Makes 1 serving.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Toaster Roast!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny645.html

And God Said...
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny648.html

Leftovers...
http://www.fun-lists.com/cgi-bin/g.cgi?666.3.702.1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Oatmeal Fritters

Reader Susan shares:

                 OATMEAL FRITTERS

1 cup rolled oats
2 small onions, minced
5 tablespoons chopped parsley
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

For Sauce:
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 lb tomatoes, quartered and seeded
1 onion, minced
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh parsley

In a bowl, mix the oats, onions, parsley, eggs, and salt
thoroughly. Let rest for 5 minutes.

FOR SAUCE: Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium frying pan.
Blend the tomato and onion in a blender and strain on top of the
hot oil. Add the herbs and cook over high heat until the fat
rises to the surface, about 8 minutes. Remove the herbs and set
the pan aside.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a separate medium
frying pan. Put 1 rounded tablespoon of the oat mixture at a
time into the pan and flatten with a spatula. Cook, turning once,
over medium heat until golden.

Place the fritters in the tomato sauce and cook over very low
heat for approximately 10 minutes, turning once. Serve.

Makes 10 fritters.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

GADZOOKS!
Are you one sandwich short of a picnic?
Do you laugh at basically anything?
Have you been told you're crazy, zany, potty, or just
darn right strange?
Did you answer YES to any of the above and you're over 18.
Then join GADZOOKS! and receive funny pictures via email
twice a week.
send a blank email to: gadzooks--@domeus.co.uk

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Anita shares:

             FLEAS NAVIDAD NIBBLERS

2 tablespoons honey
2 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together honey,
water, applesauce, vanilla and egg. In a separate bowl, mix
peanuts, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add wet
ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, mixing well.
Spoon into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup two-thirds
full. Bake for 35 minutes. Store in a sealed container.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

         <:> Martin's Recipes <:>

Love to cook recipes that are different and interesting?
I've gone worldwide gathering up Scandinavian to Asian and
Mediterranean recipes touring with the Royal Danish Ballet.
Come join us for international cuisine, vitamin/fitness tips,
food trivia, and some humor, too!

To see what you're missing, visit me on the web at:
http://www.topica.com/lists/martinjjames
To make sure you don't miss anything else, send a
blank e-mail to: martinjjame-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Jeanne's English Trifle
As seen in "Just Jeanne". To subscribe,
e-mail: justjeanne4-@topica.com

Reader Jeanne shares:

            JEANNE'S ENGLISH TRIFLE

Pound Cake or Lady Fingers
Rum, brandy, sherry or any liqueur
1 20 oz can peaches drained
1 20 oz can chunky fruit cocktail drained
2 pints strawberries sliced
(reserve perfect whole berries for decoration)
2 pkgs. large vanilla pudding made according to package
directions
1 small pkg. thin almond slivers
2 containers whipping cream
1 pkg. whip cream stabilizer
2 TBSP sugar

Cube pound cake or arrange ladyfingers round bottom and sides
of large clear glass bowl. Pour liqueur over and cover with
plastic wrap. Leave overnight to marinate.

Put drained fruit and sliced strawberries over cake. Pour in
vanilla pudding. Top with almond slivers. Whip whipping crème
with stabilizer and sugar. Put in piping bag and distribute
over top. Garnish with whole berries.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least eight hours
or overnight.

VARIATIONS:

Use any combination fruit or berries. Use any flavor pudding or
custard.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Ruth shares:

   Pumpkin Nook : Pumpkin Recipes Galore!
   http://www.pumpkinnook.com/cookbook.htm

Tessa recommends:

   Fireless Cooking
http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!FB!3F!D20161D61B43/adowning/FirelessCooking

Reader Susan suggests:

   Good recipe site:
   http://www.recipesource.com/

   Crafts
   http://www.craftplanet.com/

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL

Reader Jessie shares:

"Actually eight company menus are quite enough for any
cook, but if you find you are serving the same thing
too often to the same people then invite someone else
instead. It is much easier to change your friends than
your cookbook." - Peg Bracken

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Life is a journey, not a destination.

Here you will find a hand to hold, a shoulder to lean on
and an ear to listen. Please join us.

HeartTalk200-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: No-Knead English Muffin Bread

Reader Srfur shares:

              ENGLISH MUFFIN BREAD

2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
6 cups bread flour
2 envelopes quick-rising yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 Teaspoons salt

Heat milk to 120 to 130 degrees in saucepan. Add water. Add to
3 cups flour in bowl; beat with spoon until smooth. Mix remaining
3 cups flour with yeast, sugar, baking soda and salt in another
bowl. Then add to batter; mix well.

Spoon into 2 loaf pans sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Let
rise for 30 to 45 minutes.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until loaves test done.
Remove to wire rack to cool. Cut into slices and toast to serve.
Yield 12 servings.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

"Fran's Inspiration" is just that -- Spiritual Inspiration
written by Fran N. Sent at irregular intervals but usually
about once a week. 1 page.
Subscribe: FransInspirat-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Ronnie (from Florida) asks:

   Hi, I am originally from South Jersey (now living in FL)
   and I really miss their deep fried panzarottis. I was
   wondering if any of your kind readers had any good recipes
   for the dough. I hope to hear from someone. Thanks a bunch!!!

Can any of you help Ronnie? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Panzarottis ">
Send panzarotti recipe for Ronnie </A>

Reader Marilyn (for Terry) shares:

   DULCE DE LECHE
   Yield: 1 serving

   1 can Sweetened condensed milk
   small Metal rack
   large Pot

   Place can on rack in pot. Fill with water to completely
   cover can by an inch or more. Boil for 4 hours. Carefully
   remove can and set in refrigerator till cool. Open one
   end of can and turn over onto plate, open other end and
   push caramel through can onto plate.

   4 hours turns the milk into a rich brown solid pudding.
   Less time will leave it more syrupy. Spread onto dessert
   bread or cookie or eat plain. Use on frozen desserts or
   as frosting.

   Don't forget about the pot, an Argentine friend advises
   that after 8 hours of boiling the cans explode, and the
   cleanup is spectacular!

Reader Betty asks:

   My husband and I are alone now but who can make soup or chili
   for just 2 people--or even 2 servings each? We are canners
   from way back but all the canning books tell us not to put in
   beans or rice or pasta or all the other things that go into soup.
   Canned soups have all these things, so why can't I??

   Hope you can give me an answer or solution to this problem and
   by the way--I look forward to your column, it's invaluable.

   Thanks.

Any suggestions for Betty? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Canning ">
Send chili/soup canning info for Betty </A>

Reader Charlie asks:

   Do you have a recipe for Johnny Marzetti? I can't seem to
   find one anywhere.

   We used to get it at school for lunch in the cafeteria. It
   is a ground beef, egg noodles with canned tomato casserole
   dish. It is really good but I can't remember the correct
   spices and flavorings that go with it.

   Rather than experiment and waste good ingredients I thought
   I'd see if you or any of the group might have it. It may be
   called John Marzetti or Johnny Marzetti.

   Thanks!

Can any of you readers help Charlie? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Marzetti ">
Send John Marzetti recipe for Charlie </A>

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Subscribe to our other publications:
<A HREF=" mailto:gardenwise-@topica.com ">GardenWise </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:thekidzkingd-@topica.com ">Kidz Kingdom </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:laughloungeholl-@topica.com ">Hollyweird
</A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

Keep those e-cards and e-letters coming:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Talk to Cat ">
Talk to Cat </A>

HELP US GROW... Because you shouldn't keep something
this good all to yourself! Feel free to forward this
issue to your friends and enemies. Please keep this
trailer intact so they can subscribe too.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Volunteer Vittles is a FREE e-zine. We claim no copyright
on any recipe published in Volunteer Vittles unless otherwise
noted. Although Hints from Helga, and Volunteer Vittles as a
whole are Copyright © 2001 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.