Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 297  Cat Adams
 Dec 23, 2001 13:43 PST
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 297
December 23, 2001

Oops! We're late, we're late for a very important date!
No time to say hello... we're late, we're late, we're late!

The White Rabbit is trying to apologize for not publishing
our last issue. Nothing's wrong... we just got really busy
with the holiday season.

Hope that you all have a wonderful and blessed holiday!

Note: Our next issue will be published in mid-January
as we take time off to enjoy the holidays with our families.

STOP! Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Comment ">
Send comments to Volunteer Vittles! </A>

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Stifado (Beef Casserole with Onions)
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Easy Fudge
. Cute Toons
. Recipe: Horiatiki (Greek Salad)
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Johnny Mazetti
. Recommended Web Sites
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Cowboy Biscuits
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

                *** JUST JEANNE ***
Love to cook? Love to can and preserve? Love your pets?
Have a veggie and herb garden? Love a good clean chuckle?
Need good household hints? Then come join us for good clean
fun with your friends at "JUST JEANNE"
To get your FREE subscription:
e-mail: mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Stifado (Beef Casserole with Onions)

Reader Aideen (from Cyprus) shares:

Here are two genuine Cyprus recipes that go very well
together. Both are very commonly found on restaurant
menus here and with a hunk of good fresh bread and a
glass or two of Cyprus wine, a satisfying local repast
is ensured:-)

     STIFADO (Beef Casserole with Onions)

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small sprig of rosemary
1 kg tender beef, cut into large cubes
900 ml water
2 tablespoons tomato puree
salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4-6 tablespoons vegetable oil
700 gr. small onions (the pickling size),
peeled and left whole
1 small glass red wine
5 cm cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon demerara sugar
5 grains allspice

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the meat
in it. It will produce a lot of moisture but persevere
until it has all evaporated and the meat starts to turn
golden. Slowly pour the vinegar over it and, when the
steam subsides, add the wine. Then add all the remaining
ingredients except the vegetable oil, onions and sugar,
cover and cook slowly for 1 hour or until the meat is
almost tender.

Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and add as many
onions in one layer as it will take. Saute them gently
for about 15 minutes, shaking and turning them over until
they brown lightly. Lift them out with a slotted spoon
and spread them over the meat, distributing them evenly.
Repeat until all the onions are done. Sprinkle the sugar
over the onions, cover and cook very gently for 30 minutes,
until the onions are soft but not disintegrating. Do not
stir once the onions have been added, but rotate the
saucepan occasionally to coat them in the sauce.

Serves 4.

[Editor's note: See Aideen's recipe for Horiatiki (Greek
Salad) below in today's newsletter.]
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Tanya's Freebie Land
GET OUR DAILY FREEBIE NEWSLETTER and get the NEW FREEBIES FIRST!
Up to the minute updates to get FREEBIE news to you FAST!
http://www.tanyasfreebieland.com
To Subscribe please stop by the site.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Susan shares:

   Next time you see a recipe that calls for a preheated
   oven, forget it. Foods cooked in a non-preheated oven
   taste as good, look as good and are as nutritious as
   those cooked when the oven was brought up to cooking
   temperature first, reports the Journal of the American
   Dietary Association. And since the extra cooking time
   is less than the time spent preheating, you'll save
   energy.

Reader Susan also provides a nostalgic tip:

          RECIPE FOR WASHING CLOTHES

Anonymous note (c. 1900) on display at the Whistler
Museum and Archives, Whistler, British Columbia

Build fire in back yard to heat kettle. [I've built a
fire in the back yard but not in a kettle.]

Set tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if wind is pert.
[Smoke has gotten in my eyes from around a camp fire.]

Shove one whole cake of lye soap in boiling water.
[I have had a bar of soap put in my mouth, but it wasn't
lye, it was Ivory, the pure one.]

Sort things. Make 1 pile coloured, 1 pile white, 1 pile
breeches and rags. [Sounds good.]

Stir flour in cold water to smooth. Thin down with boiling
water. Starch. [My starch came in a can, but I do remember
the boxed kind.]

Rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard then boil. Rub
coloured but don't boil. Just rinse and starch. [I had
a board, but my dad made a musical instrument out of it.
Remember those?]

Take white things out of kettle with broom handle. Then
rinse, blue and starch. [My grandmother had a wringer washer
that we used a shortened broom handle in to swish the
clothes in and take out to put through the wringer. Also,
the bluing we would put on my grandmother's hair to make
it more white.]

Spread tea towels on grass; others on fence. [We have always
had a clothes line.]

Put rinse water on flower beds. Brings up the worms to go
fishing with.

Scrub porch with soapy water. [Sounds like something I
would give the husband to do.]

Turn over the tubs to drain. [Sounds good to me.]

Go put on a clean dress. Smooth hair with side combs.
Brew tea. Sit and rest. [How about a nap about now?]

Rock a spell. Count your blessings. [We should all do this.]

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Roses are red, Violets are blue,
We have some of the best poetry for you!!!

HeartTalkforPo-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Easy Fudge

Reader Joan shares (for Diana):

                  EASY FUDGE

1-- 12 oz bag of chocolate chips
1 can of Eagle Brand Milk
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Melt chocolate chips and Eagle Brand milk in top of
double boiler until the chips are melted and mixture
is smooth.

Cool slightly, then add marshmallows, stirring gently.
Pour into a buttered 9x9" pan. Let cool and cut into
squares.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Are you looking for a list that has a little bit of everything?
              Check out FIRESONG'S FUNNIES
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Firesongs_Funnies
We have a wild editor, triva, moving moments, weird news,
Hint of the day, and quotes. Send a blank email to:
Firesongs_Funn-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Dyslexics Untie!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny656.html

Lost Your Head?
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-2&R=1-9-1

Doggy Park Sign
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny657.html

Border Patrol
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-3&R=1-9-1

It's Tuna Clause!
http://www.fun-lists.com/cgi-bin/g.cgi?666.1.769.1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Horiatiki (Greek Salad)

Reader Aideen shares:

           HORIATIKI (Greek Salad)

Four tomatoes, sliced in segments
(must be hard, salad tomatoes)
One sliced onion
1/2 sliced cucumber
Some olive oil
Sliced feta cheese
(a white, salty cheese made with goats milk)
Salt, pepper, and oregano seasoning
Olives

Mix the ingredients together and spread the oil over them.
Sprinkle some salt, pepper and oregano.

Serves 4.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Life is a journey, not a destination.

Here you will find a hand to hold, a shoulder to lean on
and an ear to listen. Please join us.

HeartTalk200-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Jeanne shares:

             THE 12 DAYS OF "CATMAS"

On the twelve days of "Catmas" my humans gave to me ...

. Twelve human hugs and kisses...
(Oh, quit it, you're embarrassing me!)

. Eleven minutes of scratching...
(Oh yeah, and it makes a nice cloud of flying fur!)

. Ten balls of twine...
(Hey, are you trying to strangle me?)

. Nine humans dancing...
(Obviously because of the hairballs I left next to the
bed.)

. Eight hairball toys...
(Wow, pretty authentic looking!)

. Seven pet food covers...
(Nice, but you know I always eat the whole can at one
time.)

. Six floppy stuffed Beanie Dalmatians...
(Ugh! Do you think I'll get the other 95?)

. Five small lattice balls...
(Gee, I love the noise they make on the floor at 3 am!)

. Four furry mice...
(Hey, They're fake! How about a real one once in a while!)

. Three nuggets of Pounce...
(Only three? Are you savin' the rest for next year?)

. Two catnip toys...
(Hehe! I bet I can wreck these in 60 seconds or less.)

. A carpeted cheesy home-made cat tree...
(Well, okay, but I'm not giving up sleeping on your bed.)

(Author unknown)

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

MakeUGrin is an Adult Fun-List with jokes, wild, wacky
and weird links, and a great recipe to satisfy. Remember...
Always laugh when you can ! It's cheap medicine !
To get your FREE subscription send a blank email to:

makeugrin--@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Johnny Mazetti

Reader Nanna shares (for Charly):

This is a family favorite and guaranteed to please.

               JOHNNY MAZETTI

3/4 lb. ground beef
3/4 lb. ground sausage or pork
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 can tomato soup
1 soup-can water
1/4 lb. Velveeta cheese, diced
1 pkg. (8-10 oz.) wide, flat noodles

Brown meat, onion, and green pepper in a little butter.
Mix soup, water, and cheese. Combine two mixtures with
cooked noodles and put in a long casserole. Bake at 350
degrees until bubbly, about 30 minutes.

This is a very warming cold weather dish.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Susan shares:

   Recipe Link
   http://www.mealtime.org/recipes/

   Christmas Links:
   http://www.santas-workshop.org/
   http://www.elvesrus.com/

   1200 Craft Sites
   http://advocacy-net.com/craftmks.htm

Reader Wild recommends:

   Santa's Secret Village
   http://www.northpole.com/cooking/cookbook.html

   Christmas Cookies
   http://www.thecookietin.com/xmas.htm

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL

Myron shares:

             IF I WERE SANTA CLAUS

If I were ol' Santa, you know what I'd do
I'd dump silly gifts that are given to you,
And deliver some things just inside your front door,
Things you have lost, but treasured before.

I'd give you back all your maidenly vigor,
and to go along with it, a neat tiny figure.
Then restore the old color that once graced your hair,
before rinses and bleaches took residence there.

I'd bring back the shape with which you were gifted,
so things now suspended need not be uplifted.
I'd draw in your tummy and smooth down your back
'Til you'd be a dream in those tight fitting slacks.

I'd remove all your wrinkles and leave only one chin,
So you wouldn't spend hours rubbing grease on your skin.
You'd never have flashes or queer dizzy spells
and you wouldn't hear noises like ringing of bells.

No sore aching feet and no corns on your toes,
no searching for spectacles when they're right on your nose.
Not a shot would you take in your arm, hip or fanny
from a doctor who thinks you're a nervous old granny.

You'd never have a headache, so no pills would you take
and no heating pad needed since your muscles won't ache.
Yes, if I were Santa, you'd never look stupid.
You'd be a cute little chick with the romance of a cupid.

I'd give a lift to your heart when those wolves start to whistle
and the joys of your heart would be light as a thistle.
But alas! I'm not Santa. I'm simply just me ---
the matronliest of matrons you ever did see.

I wish I could tell you all the symptoms I've got,
But I'm due at my doctor's for an estrogen shot.
Even though we've grown older this wish is sincere
Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year.

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

I N G E N I O U S    A D    S W A P    P R O G R A M !
EzineADventure is a FREE multilevel system that grows
your subscriber base exponentially through multiple ad
exposures generated "downline" by those e-zine owners
who follow you. You run only four 6-line ads per month.
That's it! It's simple, it's FREE and it WORKS. Join Now.
http://www.ezineadventure.com/Default.asp?id=2691

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Cowboy Biscuits

Reader Jim shares:

When you are on a ranch 40 miles from town and nothing
but a horse for transportation, you don't run to the
store for a loaf of bread... you make Cowboy Biscuits.

Cowboys are noted for not making messes they have to
clean up and making biscuits is no difference. When
it's all over, there is nothing to wash except your
hands and a spoon.

                 COWBOY BISCUITS

Pre-heat the oven to about 450 and spread four or five
sheets of last week's newspaper on the cabinet.

2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. Crisco (preferably but you can use lard, butter
or margarine)
2/3 cup milk

Combine the dry ingredients in the middle of the newspaper
and work the Crisco in with one hand (keep the other one
clean) The result will be sort of grainy. Mound it up and
make a well in the middle.

Pour the milk in the well and start working the flour into
it from the outside until it's all combined into a ball of
wet dough. Stick the hand you have been using into the flour
sack to coat and then rub the dough off it and mix with the
ball.

Put some bacon grease or whatever you have in the skillet
and stick it in the oven to heat up. When it's hotter than
you can touch with your bare hand, take it out and spread
the grease to coat bottom and sides. Grease the back of a
big spoon in the skillet grease.

Pick up the newspaper with the ball of dough and turn it
into the skillet. Scrape the dough off the paper with the
spoon. Put some grease on top of the dough and use the back
of the spoon to spread it evenly in the skillet.

Use a glass (real cowboy cooks would use an old Clabber Girl
baking powder can) to cut one biscuit right in the middle.
It will look something like the insignia on the wing of a
Spitfire.

Then take the edge of the spoon and cut radial lines from
the center biscuit to the edge of the skillet. First cut
it in quarters and then those in half to make eight cuts.
BTW (by the way), that center biscuit is known as The Cook's
Biscuit and no cowboy who valued his life would dare take it.

Put skillet in the oven, wash your hands, wad up the
newspaper, toss it in the trash and wait 10 to 12 minutes
for the biscuits to bake to a golden brown.

Visit Jim's web site at:
http://www.geocities.com/jimforetales/
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

After Yahoo banned cartoonist, Myke Ashley-Cooper,
and his lists, he has re-opened them at Domeus.

Squeakycleantoons are for your maiden aunt Agatha and the Vicar,

If you wish to get a cartoon a day from this list, send a
blank email to: squeakycleanto-@domeus.co.uk

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Anne sends in a crochet slipper pattern (for
SeaD):

   Is this the one you're looking for?
   http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/hexslip.htm

Reader Ann writes in:

   I thought "Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats" was one of
   the funniest things I have ever read! I laughed out
   loud through the entire thing!

   Signed: A Cat Lover

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, Ann. (I did, too... with
my tail between my legs [SMILE]).

I'll pass along your thanks to Chelsea who contributed this.
Chelsea is the STAR of "Just Jeanne" e-zine and she's a
cocker spaniel (truly!).

Cat (who thinks that Cats are better than dogs? [SMILE])

Reader Dianne asked:

   Is coriander the same as cilantro or a substitute?

Reader Jeanne's answer:

   Cilantro is the green growth you get from planting
   coriander seeds. Then if you leave the cilantro grow
   too long, it produces coriander seeds. It is the only
   herb that does this that I know of... two herbs for
   the price of one.

Reader Eileen writes in:

   Would love to e-mail Hope for some of those delicious
   recipes she received for hungry men... but, there was
   no addy in the post.

   May I have her address - or - if you prefer - send
   her mine?

   So many thank ewes!! :)

Reader Shari agrees:

   I am interested in Hope's recipes... she says she will
   share with us! Thanks.

How about it, Hope? Can you share some of these recipes
with us, please?

Reader Pamela shares a vinegar pie recipe (for Shelley):

   My Grandma still makes this and she's 84.

   1 stick butter or oleo, 2 cups sugar, CREAM TOGETHER,
   Add 3 eggs, Mix, Add 2 Tbsp. white vinegar, and 1 tsp.
   vanilla. Pour into 1 unbaked deep dish pie crust, or
   2 shallower ones, and bake in 350 oven until golden
   on top and center is set when shook. Think it's around
   40-45 minutes. I just keep watch.

   My daughter just made this yesterday for her family. We
   love it. My grandmother grew up in Kentucky and the name
   she calls it is Transparent Pie. Hope this is what you
   were looking for.

Reader April writes in:

   Just wanted to say "Thank you" to all of those who wrote
   in with their tips for magazine uses! Donating to hospitals,
   nursing homes, etc. is a wonderful idea! Thanks again for
   taking the time to help!

Reader Myron recommends:

   Hot Mulled Cider

   1/2 cup brown sugar
   2 quarts cider
   1 tsp. allspice, whole
   1 1/2 tsp. cloves, whole
   2 cinnamon sticks (broken)
   Orange slices
   Your favorite booze (optional)

   Put all ingredients in crock-pot. If desired, tie whole
   spices in cheesecloth or put in tea strainer. If spices
   are added loose, strain before serving. Cover; cook on
   Low 2 to 8 hours. Serve from the crock pot with a ladle.
   If desired, splash a shot of rum or brandy into each mug!

Reader DadR shares a chuckle:

   Adam and Eve had an ideal marriage. He didn't have to
   hear about all the men she could have married, and she
   didn't have to hear about the way his mother cooked.

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Subscribe to our other publications:
<A HREF=" mailto:gardenwise-@topica.com ">GardenWise </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:thekidzkingd-@topica.com ">Kidz Kingdom </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:laughloungeholl-@topica.com ">Hollyweird
</A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

Keep those e-cards and e-letters coming:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Talk to Cat ">
Talk to Cat </A>

HELP US GROW... Because you shouldn't keep something
this good all to yourself! Feel free to forward this
issue to your friends and enemies. Please keep this
trailer intact so they can subscribe too.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Volunteer Vittles is a FREE e-zine. We claim no copyright
on any recipe published in Volunteer Vittles unless otherwise
noted. Although Hints from Helga, and Volunteer Vittles as a
whole are Copyright 2001 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.