Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 298  Cat Adams
 Jan 27, 2002 17:18 PST
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 298
January 27, 2002

Groundhog's Day is a-comin'. Just like the movie,
it keeps a-comin' year after year. That's good news...
when you consider the alternative. Does anybody have
any good groundhog recipes?

STOP! Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Comment ">
Send comments to Volunteer Vittles! </A>

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Creamy Pork Tenderloin With Vegetables (Crockpot)
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Breakfast Sundae
. Cute Toons
. Recipe: Family Casserole
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Chocolate Almond Biscotti
. Recommended Web Sites
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Sugar-Free Apple Pie (diabetic)
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

             Add Spice To Your Life

Receive tips on growing and using herbs in the home
from "Seasonal Notes." Our twice-monthly newsletter
includes herb gardening ideas, flavorful cooking hints,
recipes, and more. To subscribe, send an email to
SeasonalNote-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Creamy Pork Tenderloin With Vegetables (Crockpot)

Reader Susan shares:

     CREAMY PORK TENDERLOIN WITH VEGETABLES

1 1/2 to 2 pounds pork tenderloin
1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 envelope stroganoff seasoning
1 envelope mushroom gravy
1 can 98% less fat cream of celery soup
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon caraway seed
pepper to taste
1 to 2 cups frozen green beans
1/3 cup half-and-half

Cut pork into 1-inch cubes; place in 3 1/2-quart or larger
crockpot. Add onion and cabbage. Combine stroganoff mix,
gravy mix, soup, water, caraway seed and pepper together;
pour over pork mixture and stir to coat. Cover and cook on
low 7 to 9 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, turn to
high and add frozen green beans. Add half and half just
before serving. Delicious over noodles or served with
biscuits. Serves 6.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Are you looking for a list that has a little bit of everything?
            Check out FIRESONG'S FUNNIES
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Firesongs_Funnies
We have a wild editor, triva, moving moments, weird news,
Hint of the day, and quotes. Send a blank email to:
Firesongs_Funn-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Gloria asks:

   I recently washed my favorite pair of black slacks
   by accident with 2 bath towels in the wash. The lint
   on my slacks is terrible. I tried hand washing them
   again, but the lint is relentless. Can you help?

Can any of you readers help Gloria? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Lint ">
Send lint tip for Gloria </A>

Reader Susan shares:

   EMERGENCY SPICE SUBSTITUTIONS:

   Caught in the middle of a recipe and find you're
   missing a certain spice from the rack? Try these
   close substitutions.

   Allspice: Cinnamon; dash of nutmeg or mace; or dash of
   cloves

   Aniseed: Fennel seed or a few drops anise extract

   Cardamom: Ginger

   Chili Powder: Dash bottled hot pepper sauce plus a
   combination of oregano and cumin

   Cinnamon: Nutmeg or allspice (use only 1/4 of the amount)

   Cloves: Allspice; cinnamon; or nutmeg

   Cumin: Chili powder

   Ginger: Allspice; cinnamon; mace; or nutmeg

   Mace: Allspice; cinnamon; ginger; or nutmeg

   Nutmeg: Cinnamon; ginger; or mace

   Saffron: Dash turmeric (for color)

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

       **** CREATIVE CANNING CUISINE ****

Have memories of your grandma's strawberry preserves?
Experienced canner or newbie? Join us and discuss the
right way to can and preserve, share canning recipes and
proper techniques using both a water bath and a pressure
canner.

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
mailto:CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Breakfast Sundae

Reader Sally Jo shares:

               BREAKFAST SUNDAE

1 Tbsp. strawberry jam
1/2 cup Cheerios
1/2 cup strawberry flavored yogurt
3 whole fresh strawberries

Wash strawberries and remove stems. Place 1 tablespoon
strawberry jam in bottom of glass. Put 1/4 cup Cheerios
on top of jam. Slice 1 strawberry and place on top of
Cheerios. Put 1/4 cup yogurt over strawberries. Add
remaining layer of Cheerios. Slice another strawberry
and place on top. Add remaining yogurt; top with whole
strawberry.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LOOKING FOR THE LATEST FREEBIE NEWS?
Get "HOT" Daily, Freebie News.
Tanya's Freebie Land. FAST-FRESH-Freebies.
Click to Cash and SAVE ! Visit now.
http://www.tanyasfreebieland.addr.com
subscribe tanyasfre-@telus.net

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Cool Doggy!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny658.html

TaliTubbies
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-5&R=1-9-1

Nice Kitty!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny660.html

The "ANY" Key!
http://www.fun-lists.com/cgi-bin/g.cgi?666.8.280.1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Family Casserole

Reader Margaret shares (for Charly):

I have a recipe that is an old English recipe called Family
casserole and sounds similar to what your young man needs.

                  FAMILY CASSEROLE

1 pound hamburger
1 chopped onion
1 can tomato soup (Campbells tastes the best)
1/2 cup water
1 can green beans
1 cup cooked egg noodles
1/2 cup grated cheese
(can also use as much cheese as you desire)

Brown onion and hamburger, drain off fat. In two-quart
casserole dish place hamburger and add soup, water, green
beans and noodles. Top with cheese. Bake for 25 minutes in
a 375 degree oven.

I get a lot of recipes from my mother in law since my
husband is from England and my family comes from Scotland.

I hope this helps him out.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Win $100.00!   FREE Entry!!!
Osama Bin Laden Contest!
Guess where and when he will be found!
(Only one guess allowed her person)
http://www.doctorhealthynet.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Anita shares:

          GREAT DANE GOBBLER LOAF

2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 lbs. ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 cup cooking barley
1 cup quick cooking oats
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 tablespoon parsley flakes

In a mixing bowl combine turkey, garlic, egg, barley and
oats. Place in a loaf pan that has been sprayed with a
non-stick spray. Pat down until level. Spread tomato paste
on top of the loaf and sprinkle with parsley.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours. Cool and cut into
6 slices. Store in refrigerator.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!

<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

It is the best of times, it is the worst of times.
Subscribe to A-Changin' Times and regain your equilibrium
among friends. Sharing movies, books, quotes and humor
helps us weather the storms of life today. Peeves, rants,
info, comfort and ideas welcomed. The thinking person's ezine.
Email: A_C_T_-s-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Chocolate Almond Biscotti

Reader Sally Jo shares:

            CHOCOLATE ALMOND BISCOTTI

2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate morsels, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Baking Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 large eggs
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Chocolate Coating (recipe follows), optional

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease 1 large or 2 small baking
sheet(s).

Microwave 1 cup morsels in small, microwave-safe bowl on
high (100%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional
10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Cool to
room temperature.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in
medium bowl. Beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter,
vanilla extract and almond extract until crumbly. Add eggs
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
melted chocolate. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir
in nuts. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.

Shape dough with floured hands into two 9 x 3-inch logs on
prepared baking sheet(s).

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in
center of each log comes out clean. Cool on baking sheets for
15 minutes. Slide logs onto cutting board and cut diagonally
into 3/4-inch slices. Return to baking sheet(s) cut side down.
Bake turning biscotti over halfway through, for 20 minutes or
until dry. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Line baking sheet(s) with waxed paper.

Dip biscotti halfway into Chocolate Coating, pushing mixture
up with a spatula; shake off excess. Place on prepared baking
sheet(s). Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Store in airtight containers in cool place or in refrigerator.

CHOCOLATE COATING:
Microwave remaining morsels and 2 tablespoons vegetable
shortening in medium, microwave-safe bowl on high (100%) power
for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at 10- to 20-second intervals,
stirring until smooth.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Susan shares:

Household Hints
http://lonestar.texas.net/~fitch/hints/hints.html

Craft Ideas
http://www.mycraftbook.com/

Heart-Healthy Recipes
http://www.deliciousdecisions.org/

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL

Reader Joyce shares:

                 WHAT IS LOVE?

A group of professional people posed this question to a
group of four through eight-year-olds, "What does love
mean?" The answers they got were broader and deeper than
anyone could have imagined. See what you think:

"Love is that first feeling you feel before all the bad
stuff gets in the way."

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over
and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it
for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too.
That's Love."

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is
different. You know that your name is safe in their mouth."

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on
shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."

"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of
your french fries without making them give you any of
theirs."

"Love is when someone hurts you. And you get so mad but you
don't yell at them because you know it would hurt their
feelings."

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she
takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste
is OK."

"Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired
of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more.
My mommy and daddy are like that. They look gross when they
kiss."

"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you
stop opening presents and listen."

"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with
a friend who you hate."

"Love is hugging. Love is kissing. Love is saying no."

"When you tell someone something bad about yourself and
you're scared they won't love you anymore. But then you get
surprised because not only do they still love you, they love
you even more."

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he
wears it everyday."

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who
are still friends even after they know each other so well."

"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and scared. I
looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving
and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared
anymore."

"My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone
else kissing me to sleep at night."

"Love is when mommy gives daddy the best piece of chicken."

"Love is when mommy sees daddy smelly and sweaty and still
says he is handsomer than Robert Redford."

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left
him alone all day."

"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all
her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones."

"I let my big sister pick on me because my Mom says she only
picks on me because she loves me. So I pick on my baby
sister because I love her."

"Love cards like Valentine's cards say stuff on them that
we'd like to say ourselves, but we wouldn't be caught dead
saying."

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and
little stars come out of you."

"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it.
But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget."

"God could have said magic words to make the nails fall off
the cross, but He didn't. That's love."

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LotR-The_Fellowship_o-@yahoogroups.com
Join the Lord of the Rings Movie Discussion group! Avoid putting
Spoilers on your messages for other groups! Spread the Word!
The more who know about it, the more fun it will be for Everyone :)

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Sugar-Free Apple Pie (diabetic)

Reader JudyG shares (for Dianne):

This one beats them all! In the Nov 2001 edition of
Guideposts magazine is a recipe for Sugar-Free Apple Pie
(submitted by Teresa Garlick, Glendale Arizona). I've
made it several times for my diabetic husband and it's
become his favorite pie. I've also served it at church
functions and received many compliments... I didn't even
tell them it was sugar-free!

             SUGAR-FREE APPLE PIE

1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
Sugar substitute equal to 8 teaspoons of sugar
(I increase slightly)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pastry for 9-inch double-crust pie
8 cups thinly sliced peeled baking apples
(I use Gala and could only get 6 cups in the pie dish)
1 tablespoon margarine

Combine the first four ingredients. Line the pie plate
with bottom crust; add apples. Pour juice mixture over
apples; dot with margarine.

Roll out the remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut slits
or an apple shape in top. Place over filling; seal and flute
the edges. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. Increase
the temperature to 400 degrees; bake 15 to 20 minutes or
until the apples are tender. Yields 8 servings.

Diabetic exchanges: 3 Fat, 2 Fruit, 1 Starch
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

<---Mysterious-Unexplained-UFOs-Paranormal--->
It's all right here in The K-FILES. Each
issue is packed with interesting articles,
information, and links to interesting places.
Subscribe at: http://ksshow.com/kfiles.htm

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Myron (in Florida) asks:

   In a moment of weakness I bought a HUGE can (3+ lbs.)
   of sliced black olives....at a discount store the
   other day.

   Now... any brilliant ideas what I can do with them?
   Does anyone know if you can freeze olives??

   I'll put some in bread, salads, etc.

   Thanks! Do your husbands do crazy things like that??

Any suggestions for Myron? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Olives ">
Send olive suggestions for Myron </A>

A few of you asked about U.S. equivalents for the
Cyprus recipes that Aideen shared with us. Here's a
link that should help you convert the measurements:

   This site has 65 charts including several conversion
   charts including Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature,
   Table for U.S. and Metric, Conversion Factors, British
   Measurements, and British Cooking Terminology:

   http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

   As seen in "Just Jeanne" (thanks, Jeanne!)

Reader DebbyH asks:

   Don't know whether you can help or not, but I am
   looking for recipes for bath soap and laundry soap.

   Any assistance would be appreciated.

Can any of you readers help Debby? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Soap ">
Send soap recipe for Debby </A>

Reader Jeff requests:

   I was wondering if anyone would have a recipe for
   Chocolate Bread Pudding. My grandmother used to make
   it for me. But she never told anyone her recipe and
   she has been gone for some time now. I have seen many
   dishes called bread pudding, and even chocolate bread
   pudding. None was even close to what my grandmother
   made.

   To prepare for it, she would save the heels from loaves
   of bread in an open bowl to let them go stale. If there
   were not enough by the time she wanted to make it, she
   would actually open a loaf of bread and let is go stale
   for a day or so. Her bread pudding did not have raisins
   in it or anything like that. It had a consistent smooth
   creamy texture, like pudding, but was firm enough to cut
   pieces out.

   I remember she would use her mixer to reduce the bread
   down to just crumbs. She made it in a typical 11 x 13
   aluminum bake pan. And it was so rich that even as a
   chocolate loving child I could only eat two 2" squares
   and that was enough... for a hour or so, anyway.

   Anyway, enough reminiscing, I hope someone might have a
   recipe that I could use to make this for may wife and my
   sons, who never got to know her. I would like to share
   something from her - though it wouldn't be her recipe, it
   would be okay if it had the same taste and texture.

   Thanks.

Can any of you readers help Jeff? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Bread_Pudding ">
Send chocolate bread pudding recipe for Jeff </A>

Reader Larena writes in (for Dianne):

   For Dianne she can find recipes for diabetics at
      www.diabeticrecipes.com

   As I have a niece and several aunts who are diabetic, in
   my pie recipes I use Equal in place of sugar. They seem to
   love it as my sugar-free pies are gone before the regular
   ones are.

Reader Susan shares (for Dianne):

   All kinds of diabetic recipes here:
http://www.att.net/cgi-bin/websearch?qry=diabetic+recipes&cmd=qry

Readers Jeannie & Joe write in (for Dianne):

   Diabetic Sweetened Condensed Milk

   1 1/2 cups cold water
   1 1/3 cups Carnation nonfat dry milk
   1/2 cup Sugar Twin (pourable kind)

   Place cold water in a 2-cup glass measure. Stir in dry
   milk powder until mixture makes a smooth paste. Cover
   and microwave on high 45 to 60 seconds or until mixture
   is very hot, but not to the boiling point. Stir in Sugar
   Twin. Mix well to dissolve. Cover and refrigerate at
   least 2 hours before using. Use in any recipe that calls
   for sweetened condensed milk. Makes equivalent of one
   12-ounce can.

   Diabetic exchanges: 4 skim milk, 366 calories, 0 g fat,
   32 g protein, 59 g carbohydrate

   The recipe can be used to modify any recipe that calls for
   Eagle Brand, which makes it possible to convert a lot of
   the holiday recipes you find so they're usable for diabetics.

Reader SKF asks:

   My Grandmother used to make what she called Carrot Pudding,
   many years ago. It was the consistency of pumpkin bread,
   only it had potatoes and carrots in it and was cooked in
   a can that was boiled in water on top of the stove. It
   also had raisins and cinnamon in it, couldn't taste the
   vegetable at all. It was delicious and I have missed having
   it for many years now. Would anyone have this recipe?

Does anyone have this recipe for SKF? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Carrot_Pudding ">
Send carrot pudding recipe for SKF </A>

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Subscribe to our other publications:
<A HREF=" mailto:gardenwise-@topica.com ">GardenWise </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:thekidzkingd-@topica.com ">Kidz Kingdom </A>
<A HREF=" mailto:laughloungeholl-@topica.com ">Hollyweird
</A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

Keep those e-cards and e-letters coming:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Talk to Cat ">
Talk to Cat </A>

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.