Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 299  Cat Adams
 Feb 24, 2002 15:34 PST
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 299
February 24, 2002

Thanks so much for your patience in receiving today's
newsletter. I'm still struggling with the changeover
of our Internet Service Provider from @home to @cox.
Hopefully, things will smooth out soon and we'll be
back to publishing on a regular basis. In the meantime,
thanks for all your good wishes and understanding.

Here in Southern California, the sun is shining. I hope
that your weekend has been as beautiful as ours!

I want to wish a big happy birthday to my grandsons
Jacob and Brian... happy birthday, my angels! (Jacob
is 1, and Brian is 11).

STOP! Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Spicy Beef Pot Roast
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Pasta Quickies
. Recipe: Long Soup
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Groundhog Recipes
. Recommended Web Sites
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Chocolate Custard Bread Pudding
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Kitchen Crafts 'n' More - Fun, FREE weekly newsletter
with bath and beauty recipes, cleaning recipes, craft ideas,
household hints and much more! Please join today. E-mail
chris-@nucleus.com with "Join Kitchen Crafts" as subject.
<A HREF=" mailto:chris-@nucleus.com?subject=Join Kitchen Crafts ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Spicy Beef Pot Roast

Reader JudyR (from Florida) shares:

              SPICY BEEF POT ROAST

Perk up family day with this roast. Heat oven to 325.
Insert 3 whole cloves of garlic into slits in a well
trimmed 3 to 3 1/2 lb boneless beef bottom round roast.
Brown on all sides in a Dutch oven and drain fat.

Combine:

3/4 cup spicy tomato juice
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish sauce
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove minced garlic

Pour over roast. Cover and bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until
tender. Transfer to platter; skim fat from juices and serve
juices with roast.

Enjoy!!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

MakeUGrin is an Adult Fun-List with jokes, wild, wacky and
weird links, and a great recipe to satisfy. Remember...
Always laugh when you can ! It's cheap medicine !
To get your FREE subscription send a blank email to:

makeugrin--@opt-in4email.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Golde asked how to remove candle wax stain from
her carpet. You all DELIVERED with answers! Thanks, and
your suggestions follow.

Reader Nanna shares:

   Cover the wax with a plain paper towel (no pattern/dye),
   then use a warm iron over the towel. The wax goes into
   the paper towel. Repeat.

Reader Linda recommends:

   I used a grocery brown bag, with a towel over it and
   ironed it out. YES an iron, do any of us remember them?
   I had white carpet, and my son ran down the hall with a
   tiny RED candle in the small holder!!

   You must keep moving the brown bag, since once it absorbs,
   you need fresh area (lots of bags for her it sounds like)
   and don't plan on using the towel again. Best to use a
   THICK bath towel!

Reader MS (from Kentucky) advises:

   There's a great site that has wonderful everyday tutorials
   called Learn2.com

   I know the reader specified that ICE did not work, but
   perhaps this method involving ice, dry-cleaning solvent,
   paper towels, and an iron will work.

   Here's the link to their tutorial on this topic:
http://www.learn2.com/browse/learnlet_detail.asp?learnlet_id=456&ch_id=7

Reader Wanda writes in:

   Take a brown paper bag and an iron turned to heat for the
   fiber in your carpet. Iron bag. This will melt the wax.
   The bag will collect the melted wax. Now this might have
   to be done several times with several bags.

Reader Lois suggests:

   Cover with white blotters and press with a warm iron,
   changing the blotter as it becomes soiled. Then sponge
   with dry cleaning fluid or a laundry pre-soak (spot stain
   remover).

   In the case of coloured wax, there may still be a colour
   stain. Sponge with a liquid made by adding 1/2 cup of
   methylated spirits (wood alcohol) to 1/2 cup of water.

   The ice is supposed to remove the really heavy stuff.
   Lotza luck :-)

Reader Anne shares:

   I've had this problem myself! Red wax on a very light
   carpet! Try putting a clean white cloth over the area
   with the wax spill. Then heat up your iron on a fairly
   low setting and iron across the cloth.

   Be patient and change the cloth often as it starts to
   absorb the wax. Don't get the iron too hot, or you could
   damage your carpet, especially if it's a synthetic fiber.
   As you slowly (and patiently) iron back and forth across
   the area, the wax will melt and absorb into the cloth.

   Like I said, change the cloth often. I think you could use
   layers of clean white paper towels also. You should be able
   to remove any remaining residue with a little mild detergent.
   Just remember to be patient. Good Luck!

Reader Shelley recommends:

   Use an iron, tissue paper, the kind you use in gift boxes,
   and a towel. Put the tissue paper down first, then the towel
   and iron over it. It may use a lot of tissue and patience,
   but it has worked for me several times.

Reader Candy advises:

   HI, tell the lady to take paper towels about five thick on
   the spots and heat her clothes iron up, then gently rub the
   iron over the paper towels. The heat should transfer the
   candle wax onto the paper towels. Be careful to change the
   paper towel as it loads with the candle wax, so that you do
   not reapply the wax! GOOD LUCK!!

Reader Kay suggests:

   To get wax out of carpet, scrape what you can off with a
   butter knife. Then place several layers of paper towels over
   the wax and iron over the paper towels with an iron on a low
   setting. You may have to change the paper towels, and get
   new ones as the wax will melt and be picked up by the paper
   towels.

Reader Brenda shares:

   Lots of paper towels and heat your iron to warm (not too
   hot). Place the paper towels over the wax and iron the
   towels - you will see the wax start to melt and bond to
   the paper towels. It may take awhile. I also scraped as much
   of the wax as I could before starting. Good Luck.

Reader Norma advises:

   I have used an iron on LOW temperature with a towel over
   wax area to help pull the wax onto the towel. May help a
   little bit.

Reader Boom tells us:

   My son just told me of a sure way of getting wax out of
   fabric. Maybe it will work for your carpet too. He said to
   take a paper towel and lay it over the wax and then some
   tin foil over the paper towel and heat the tin foil with
   an iron.

   It will re-melt the wax and it will stick to the paper towel.
   You may have to do this several times using different paper
   towels each time, of course... but he said he tried it on
   his blue jeans and it worked.

Reader Carol writes in:

   Same thing (almost) happened to me. I had a huge 3-wick
   candle "spring a leak", a hole in the side dripping RED wax
   on beige plush carpeting.

   I got my old iron and lots of paper toweling. Using a pretty
   low setting, put the paper toweling over the wax and then put
   the iron on top. As the iron heats the paper, wax and carpeting,
   the toweling absorbs the wax. This can take awhile depending
   on the amount of wax but it works.

   If you are using a good iron make sure you wipe the surface
   of wax well while it is still hot. Good luck.

Reader Dawn shareS:

   I have an idea that worked for me. My dear son just can't
   seem to quit playing with fire and was playing with a candle
   one day. Mind you, it was a navy blue candle, and managed to
   spill it all over the sofa and it is a light tan in color. I
   was shocked, but I knew I best DO SOMETHING, so I took an old
   towel, and heated up the iron and just laid the towel on the
   wax, put the iron on top of the towel and don't act like your
   ironing - just heat the towel. Then start again with a new
   spot on the towel and just continue until the wax is gone.

   It worked for me and my son was at the time 18 years old.
   Hope this helps ya out.

Reader Carrie suggests:

   Place paper towels or napkins over the entire area that has
   wax on it. Using a warm iron move the iron around over the
   paper towels until you see an oily stain appearing on the
   paper. It will be gone when the paper has absorbed it all.
   Just watch that you keep the iron on the layered paper, and
   don't get the hot iron on the carpet. This works wonderfully!
   I sure hope it helps you!

Reader Jo writes in:

   I was cleaning apartments for a while. When I found wax on
   the carpet I used a brown paper bag and an old iron. You lay
   the brown paper bag on the wax and then iron the paper bag.
   The heat draws the wax out of the carpet. It takes a little
   while and sometimes more than one brown paper bag, but it
   all comes out. With no harm to the carpet.

Reader Jeanette shares:

   I had dripped wax on my dress at my daughter's wedding. I
   went home after the church and scraped off as much wax as
   I could, with a butter knife. Then used a warm iron and lots
   of dry paper towels. Just lay the paper towels on the wax and
   use the warm iron to make it melt into the paper towel.

   BE SURE TO TRY IT on a scrap piece of carpet first or, in a
   place that no one will see. This worked like a charm to get
   it all out of my dress and it ALL came out. It didn't even
   leave a spot where it was. GOOD LUCK !

Reader Angy suggests:

   My son did the same thing to my carpet in his bedroom only
   white on dark blue. I took a brown paper bag and placed it
   over the wax and set the iron on the hottest setting without
   steam and kept pressing and changing the bag as the oil (wax)
   came thru the bag. It worked for me and the wax spot is gone.

Reader Rottsmom recommends:

   If ice does not work, start out with lots of newspaper on top
   of paper towels (don't want the newsprint ink to be next stain).
   Put an iron on very low temp and let it set in place for several
   minutes (do not leave room and be sure to protect curious
   children and pets). It will melt wax and paper will absorb.

   It takes time but after you have removed most of wax, the ice
   Should work fine to scrape off last bit of wax. Remember to use
   low temperature and watch carefully. I have also used a pan of
   boiling water on top of towels and newspaper to maintain long-time
   heat but not have fear of iron melting or burning children.

Reader Mmum advises:

   My mother's way to get wax off of tablecloths, rugs, etc. was
   to take a brown paper bag and place it on the spot, then iron
   the paper bag over the spot with a hot iron, NOT using steam.
   You have to move the bag around a lot to a clean spot, on the
   bag, as it will be taking up the wax. It really works, and
   does not hurt whatever the fabric.

Reader Myron tells us:

   To remove wax from carpeting, you should first scrape away any
   excess. Then, using a warm iron and a clean cloth or even a
   paper bag simply place the iron on top of the cloth over the
   wax and as you iron, it will adhere to the cloth instead of
   the carpet. Continue moving the cloth around as you pick up
   the wax so you are always using a clean section of cloth.

   If a little grease stain remains sprinkle on baking soda and
   let sit overnight before vacuuming which will remove the
   grease residue and deodorize at the same time! If colored wax
   leaves a stain, blot with spot remover or carpet cleaner,
   following label directions.

Thanks also to readers Poet, Teresa, Luci, RD, Eileen, George,
Cindy, and April for sending in similar tips.

Reader Sandy asks:

   When I make my coconut cream pie, I always double the recipe.
   Anyway after it sits, I have some liquid that comes from
   somewhere in the pie. Am I putting it in the ice box too soon
   or what causes this? Maybe not cool enough as it sweats. I put
   glad wrap over it and refrigerate. I also have meringue on
   the pie and double the recipe to it. Appreciate your suggestion.
   Thanks.

Do any of you readers have any suggestions for Sandy? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Pie_Liquid ">
Send pie liquid info for Sandy </A>

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

                  Cookery Fun

Food is the prime requisite of life. Its preparation is a
fine art. Our cookery site offers about a bazillion recipes,
for all degrees of expertise, from the inexperienced beginner
to the sophisticated chef. We offer many informational and
educational items, as well as money-saving hints and an
occasional morsel of humor. We also have newsletters easily
available and at no cost to our readers.
http://www.spike-jamie.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Pasta Quickies

Reader Sally Jo shares:

Always keep a container of boiled macaroni noodles in
the refrigerator. You can melt a piece of cheese over
them for instant macaroni and cheese, add some chopped
tomatoes and frozen veggies, or add macaroni to tomato
soup for a hearty meal. You can also stir in chicken,
tuna or beef and a cream soup for an instant casserole.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Mike McGroarty's Gardening Newsletter is FREE
and loaded with valuable, down to earth gardening
information. You'll learn how to grow Dogwoods
and Japanese Maples from seed, along with a variety of
landscape gardening techniques. Sign up today!
http://www.freeplants.com/signup.htm

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Regular or Extra Crispy?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny661.html

Parallel Parking
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-7&R=1-9-1

Kitty Litter Cleaner?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny662.html

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Long Soup

Reader Eileen and Shari asked Hope for some of her
"cooking-for-groups" recipes.

Reader Hope responds:

Okay, Shari and Eileen, I'll share a few BUT I must reiterate
what I told Cat - it wasn't as if I came up with something
spectacular. In fact, in most instances, all I did was make a
stock and throw in all the leftovers in the fridge that didn't
actually have mold on them. [ <g> ]

The reason we got such a good response was because the guys
were appreciative of the effort [- made from scratch 'anything'
takes time - a commodity in short supply these days ]. So, with
that in mind, I don't want anyone thinking they're getting
something out of the ordinary in my recipes, okay? Most of you
are, indeed, going to read them and think "What's the fuss about?
I've been making this all my life".

Occasionally when I have some time to spare, I'll throw a recipe
at Cat and eventually, presumably, she'll publish it. :) Here's
one to start with, and just to make a lie out of what I said above,
I'm starting with the one and only soup recipe I've used that's
unique. I've never eaten it anywhere but here, at home, where I
make it if I feel like cooking.

                        LONG SOUP

8 green onions
4 to 6 oz. cabbage [ 1/4 a small head ]
8 oz. uncooked boneless lean pork
1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
6 cups chicken stock or broth
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
4 oz. thin Chinese egg noodles

Cut onions into thin diagonal slices, set aside.
Shred cabbage in long thin strands, set aside.
Slice pork into long thin slices, as thin as possible.
[I partially freeze the meat first; it's easier to
slice thinly then.] Set aside.

While stock heats, stir fry the pork in the oil until pink
is gone. Drain the pork and add to the stock, along with
the cabbage. Add the soy sauce and grated ginger. [Use Light
Soy Sauce, not the dark; it's flavour is too strong.]

Bring to boil and then turn down and simmer 10 minutes [give
or take, until cabbage is soft]. Stir in green onions and
noodles and simmer 5 minutes, or until noodles are tender.

Makes about 4 servings. **

** this recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, whatever
you like. The meat you put in can be a lot or a little, whatever
you like, but be careful with the cabbage. Cabbage has a strong
flavour and you don't want it to overpower the ginger and soy
sauce. It's these two spices that make this soup so special.
So if you're cooking more than the 4 cup recipe, easy on the
cabbage and add the soy and ginger in bits, until you get the
flavour you want. [p.s. almost nobody can identify what, exactly,
you've used in the soup to give it it's special flavour, but
everyone loves it immediately when they taste it.]

This soup does not keep well for two reasons. The following day
the noodles have swollen and don't taste too good, and the cabbage
has completely overtaken the flavourings.

Next time around, I'll send in the recipes for the sandwiches I
used with this soup.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Time for a Break? Need to be inspired? Searching for a Quotation?
Join the Famous Quotes Mailing List! Silly, serious, inspirational
and confrontational quotes sent to your inbox. Visit us on the web
at: http://home.att.net/~quotations/index.html

To Join, email: famous_quote-@yahoogroups.com
<A HREF=" mailto:famous_quote-@yahoogroups.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

For free dog treat recipes, visit:
http://www.cocostreats.com/Recipes.html

Reader Julie shares:

My dog cannot resist plain old dry dog food mixed with
vegetables and gravy. There is never anything left in
her bowl, and she can be very fussy.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!

<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Arizona Humor Mailing List -- So funny, I forgot to laugh!
Join the list and remember. The best and worst humor from
the AzTeC Free-net humor SIG in your inbox. This is G-rated
and PG-rated (clean) humor. Visit us on the web at:

To Join, email: arizona_humo-@yahoogroups.com
<A HREF=" mailto:arizona_humo-@yahoogroups.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Groundhog Recipes

Reader Susan took up the challenge in our last newsletter
to send in some really "yummy" ground hog recipes:

You got it... Groundhog Recipes

             COUNTRY-STYLE GROUNDHOG

1 groundhog
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. soda
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 tsp. sugar

NOTE: Clean and skin as soon as possible. Remove all sent glands.
Cut off head, feet and tail. Cure in cool place by suspending from
hook approximately 4 days. When ready to cook, lard according to
recipe.

Dress groundhog as for rabbit, removing the small sacs in the back
and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water to
remove wild flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper and soda; rub into
groundhog pieces.

Brown groundhog in hot oil in skillet; sprinkle with sugar. Reduce
heat; add 1/2 cup water. Cover; simmer for about 30 minutes or until
tender. Remove cover; cook for 10 minutes longer.

                      WOODCHUCK PATTIES

Remove meat from bones and grind. Add breadcrumbs, onion, salt,
pepper, egg, and fat; mix thoroughly. Form into patties; dip into
egg; then dip in breadcrumbs. Fry in hot fat until brown. Cover
with currant jelly sauce and place in slow oven for 1 hour.

                  WOODCHUCK (GROUNDHOG) STEW

1 woodchuck
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
flour
vinegar and water
salt and pepper
cloves

Clean woodchuck; remove glands; cut into serving pieces. Soak
overnight in a solution of equal parts of water and vinegar with
addition of one sliced onion and a little salt. Drain, wash, and
wipe. Parboil 20 minutes, drain, and cover with fresh boiling water.
Add one sliced onion, celery, a few cloves, and salt and pepper to
taste. Cook until tender; thicken gravy with flour.

              FRICASSEED WOODCHUCK (GROUNDHOG)

Clean game and remove all the fat. Cut into pieces, rub with salt
and pepper and roll in flour. Cook in hot fat until brown. Add two
cups of water, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.

[Editor's note: Maybe I should be more careful what I ask for?]
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Susan recommends:

   Need a recipe? Call Mom!
   http://www.angelfire.com/ab/NeedARecipeCallMom/kitchen.html

   Robin's Web
   http://www.robinsweb.com/food.html

   Recipe Search
   http://cooks.com/

   Czech, German and Austrian Recipes (with photographs)
   http://home.thirdage.com/Travel/chado63/

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL: Your Angel

Buffalo Bill and Nancy share:

                   YOUR ANGEL

Once upon a time there was a child ready to be born. So
one day he asked God: "They tell me you are sending me to
earth tomorrow but how am I going to live there being so
small and helpless?"

God replied, "Among the many angels, I chose one for you.
She will be waiting for you and will take care of you."

"But tell me, here in Heaven, I don't do anything else but
sing and smile, that's enough for me to be happy."

"Your angel will sing for you and will also smile for you
every day. And you will feel your angel's love and be happy."

"And how am I going to be able to understand when people talk
to me, if I don't know the language that men talk?"

"Your angel will tell you the most beautiful and sweet words
you will ever hear, and with much patience and care, your angel
will teach you how to speak."

"And what am I going to do when I want to talk to you?"

"Your angel will place your hands together and will teach you
how to pray."

"I've heard that on earth there are bad men. Who will protect me?"

"Your angel will defend you even if it means risking its life."

"But I will always be sad because I will not see you anymore."

"Your angel will always talk to you about me and will teach you
the way for you to come back to me, even though I will always be
next to you."

At that moment there was much peace in Heaven, but voices from
earth could already be heard, and the child in a hurry asked
softly: "Oh God, if I am about to leave now, please tell me my
angel's name."

"Your angel's name is of no importance, you will call your angel:
Mommy."

As seen in "Inspired Buffalo" - to subscribe, e-mail:
the-inspired-bu-@yahoogroups.com

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Chocolate Custard Bread Pudding

Reader GrannyB shares:

             CHOCOLATE CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING

This is a simple and rich tasting treat. The spices make
it extra special! Makes 6 servings.

1 1/2 cups milk
2 (1 ounce) squares
unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups day-old bread cubes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a double
boiler, heat together the milk and chocolate until chocolate
is melted. In a 10x16 inch oven baking bag, combine 1/4 cup
sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix in the bread and nuts.

Beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla; blend together
with chocolate mixture.

Place bag in 1 quart loaf pan; pour chocolate mixture
over bread. Close bag with twist tie; make 6 half inch
slits on top. Pour water into pan so that water comes up
sides of bag, not overflowing.

Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out
clean. To serve, remove from pan, cut bag away from top and
put on plate.

[Note: Allrecipes, Submitted by Monica]
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

TIRED OF BEING BROKE? Then this FREE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY
is for you! Incredible opportunity to cash in online
EVEN IF YOU ARE BROKE! Make money from
* domain hosting (including ready to move into websites)
* website design
* traffic!
Everything you need to succeed FREE! Sign up now at
http://www.trafficcenter.com/money/newassociate.cfm?id=taschenbrenner-5682

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Lorraine asks:

   An older gentleman was telling me of his memories of
   a lady that would always give them "gumdrop bread"
   when they were children. Does anyone have a recipe
   for gumdrop bread?

Can any of you help Lorraine? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Gumdrop Bread ">
Send gumdrop bread recipe for Lorraine </A>

Reader Lee write in:

   I would like to make the stifado, would you please
   convert the following: 1 kg beef?, 900 ml water, 700
   gr. small onions, 5 cm cinnamon stick, also what is
   demarara sugar? Thanks.

Lee, I looked this information up at
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html
There is another conversion chart site at:
http://idunno4recipes.com/KitchenGuide/ConversionCharts.htm

    Demerara sugar is light brown cane sugar
    1 kilogram (kg) is about 2.2 pounds
    900 milliliter (ml) is about 3-3/4 cups
    700 grams (gr) onions is about 24.5 ounces (~1.5 pounds)
    5 centimeter (cm) is a little less than 1 inch

And reader Myron tells us (regarding U.S. to U.K. conversion
information we published in our last issue):

   When I was in England, I lost over 100 pounds! What is that
   in U.S. money?

Now I'm laughing, Myron. I'm not sure of the going monetary/diet
equivalency rate since the switchover to "Euro" dollars.

Reader Brenda writes in:

   I am looking for a Black Beans (to serve over rice)
   recipe using a pressure cooker! I'm new to pressure
   cookers and Spanish cooking! HELP! Thanks.

Can any of you readers help Brenda? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Black Beans ">
Send black bean pressure cooker recipe for Brenda </A>

Reader Diana shares:

   I wanted to thank Joan so much for sending in the recipe
   for the fudge. I do believe that this was the recipe I was
   searching for! Thank you.

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.