Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 300  Cat Adams
 May 05, 2002 12:35 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 300
May 5, 2002

Wow... This is our 300th issue!

We'd like to thank each and every one of you for your
contributions to Volunteer Vittles. We enjoy hearing
from you all.

Thanks to all of you who sent your condolences on the
passing of Cat's father-in-law. Your kind words and
thoughts were greatly appreciated.

Last but definitely not least, we would like to wish
all of your mothers (and all of you who are mothers):

          HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

A special happy mother's day wish goes out to my
favorite mom: Miss Ellie. I love you, Mom!

Don't forget to give all of the moms that you know
a great big hug next Sunday! Ah... go ahead and give
them a hug today, too. They deserve it.

STOP! Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Easy Beef Stroganoff
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Breakfast Sandwich
. Recipe: Sardine-Stuffed Deviled Eggs
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Chocolate Bread Pudding
. Recommended Web Sites
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Million Dollar Fudge
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

                  KadeesGarden

This is a discussion list for Gardeners, cooks, vegetarians
and recipe collectors alike, to share and exchange ideas on
all types of vegetables, including the growing and cooking
of them. If you're a cook, a vegetarian or a gardener..
Please come join us!
Send a blank e-mail to: KadeesGarde-@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe </a>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Easy Beef Stroganoff

Reader Susan shares:

              EASY BEEF STROGANOFF
                  Serves 4

3/4 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak, 3/4-inch thick
1 tsp. olive oil
14-oz. can beef broth with onion
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 cups uncooked egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream

Slice the sirloin into very thin strips across the grain
of the steak.

Warm the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high
heat. Brown the steak pieces for about 5-minutes, stirring
often.

Add the seasoned beef broth and mushrooms. Bring the mixture
to a boil and stir in the dry noodles.

Reduce the heat, cover and cook over a simmer for about 10
minutes, or until the noodles are cooked through.

Stir in the sour cream and let it warm through the mixture.
Serve immediately.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

                *** JUST JEANNE ***
Love to cook? Love to can and preserve? Love your pets?
Have a veggie and herb garden? Love a good clean chuckle?
Need good household hints? Then come join us for good clean
fun with your friends at "JUST JEANNE"
To get your FREE subscription:
e-mail: mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
<A HREF=" mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader GrannyB shares:

   Homemade Laundry Detergent
   Make your Own Laundry Soap
   - cheap and easy using only 2 ingredients and water.

   http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/articles/detergent.html

Reader Donna asks:

   Hanging my head in shame but I have discovered weevils
   (anyway that is what I call them) in some flour that had
   gotten shoved to the back of a cabinet and I have them in
   lots of things now. Anyway I have really cleaned out boxes
   of stuff and tossed a lot but there are some things that
   are fairly freshly bought and I don't really want to toss
   EVERYTHING LOL. This is turning out very expensive as it is.

   I would like to know if any of your readers knows of a sure
   fire way to clean the cabinets so that I will get any of the
   little critters that might have escaped my cleaning rampage
   so far.

   Your readers have come through so many times before I know
   they can help a silly woman who just wants her counter space
   back. I am putting nothing in those cabinets till I am sure. LOL

Any suggestions for Donna? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Weevils ">
Send weevil info for Donna </A>

Reader Dick tells us:

   Home Depot has a spray that you can spray around the edge
   of your lawn. I tried it for cats digging in the garden
   and pooping... worked the first time.

Reader Diana writes in:

   Hi. My question is how to clean mini blinds without it
   costing a lot of money. It looks as if the people who lived
   here before us never cleaned them, so I'm sure there's
   probably 15 years of dirt, dust, grease and who know what
   else built up on them.

   I tried 409 and it helped a little, but not enough. If anyone
   has any suggestions for me, I would truly be grateful!

   Thank you so much.

Can any of you readers help Diana? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Mini_Blinds ">
Send mini blind info for Diana </A>

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Searching for a Quotation? Want to discuss the source of quotes?
Visit Famous Quotes Network at http://home.att.net/~quotations/
and Join the Quotations Discussion List!   Visit us on the web at:

To Join, email: discuss_quot-@yahoogroups.com
<A HREF=" mailto:discuss_quot-@yahoogroups.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Breakfast Sandwich

Reader Sally Jo shares:

               BREAKFAST SANDWICH

If your kids are running out the door, and still haven't
eaten, microwave 2 waffles or pancakes and spread a layer
of jelly between them for a breakfast sandwich.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

A TRIVIA BREAK is better than a coffee break!
Tease your brain & tickle your funny bone
A dozen trivia questions every Wednesday.
The perfect midweek pick-me-up!
Visit: http://atriviabreak.quizqueen.net
Subscribe: A_Trivia_Br-@quizqueen.net?subject=subscribe

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

What Technology Means
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/053.html

Heavy Load?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny663.html

Switched to Decaf
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-94&R=1-9-1

What a Lousy Job!
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/051.html

Garage-opoly
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny664.html

Fender Bender
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-95&R=1-9-1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Sardine-Stuffed Deviled Eggs

Reader Jessie shares:

          SARDINE-STUFFED DEVILED EGGS

12 large hard-boiled eggs
2 (4-ounce) cans of sardines, thoroughly drained
1 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
12 to 24 capers

Remove shells from eggs. With a small sharp knife cut a
1/8-inch slice off the bottom of the eggs so they will stand
up. Then slice off the top 1/3 of each egg, and chop the
scraps of egg white finely and set them aside. Gently
squeeze the yolks out of the eggs, being careful not to
break the white cases.

Mash the yolks and the sardines together with a fork, then
beat the mayonnaise into the egg-sardine mixture. Add the
lemon juice, mustard, cayenne and salt, mixing thoroughly.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Spoon the filling into the egg white cases, dividing it evenly
among them and mounding it on top. Mix the reserved chopped
whites together with the parsley and chives in a shallow bowl,
and dip the filled eggs into the mixture, rolling to coat the
tops thoroughly. Place a caper or two on the top of each egg.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Too much mail? Too Many Quotes? Looking for only the best?
Get the Best Quote of the Day from all of Bill Austin's sources.
One quote is selected and distributed from hundreds sent daily.

Visit us on the web at:
To Join, email: bestquote--@yahoogroups.com
<A HREF=" mailto:bestquote--@yahoogroups.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Kim shares:

   Came upon this in my search for cat and dog food
   recipes

   http://www.holisticat.com/rawdiet.html

Reader Linda writes in:

   With my husband newly retired, we plan on making day trips
   when warmer weather arrives. I've been searching for places
   where dogs are welcome. I'm planning to create a section on
   a new website that I'm working on that will list these places,
   to include stores.

   Locally (central PA), Petsmart and Home Depot welcome dogs
   but I haven't found any other stores. Also discovered that
   dogs are welcome at Dutch Wonderland. Wondering if any of your
   readers could make some suggestions.

   Thanks.

Any suggestions for Linda? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Dogs_Welcome ">
Send dog-friendly lodging and stores for Linda </A>

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Virus Hoax Busters Mailing List!

Cutting down phony virus alerts hoaxes, frauds, chain letters and
urban legends. Discussion list for hoax fighters or those interested
in finding out which virus alerts are real and which are phony.
More information available at: http://www.stockhelp.net/virus.html

Visit us on the web at:
To Join, email: virushoaxbust-@yahoogroups.com
<A HREF=" mailto:virushoaxbust-@yahoogroups.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Chocolate Bread Pudding

Reader GrannyB shares:

             CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING

1 (8 ounce) loaf baguette
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 eggs
8 egg yolks, room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

SAUCE:
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup boiling water
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a
9x13" baking dish.

Slice baguette in 1/4 inch slices and brush one side with
melted butter. Place on a baking sheet and into preheated
oven until golden, about 1 minute.

Melt chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler. Set
aside.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat cream and milk
until warm. Do not scald.

In a large bowl beat eggs, egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and
1 tablespoon vanilla until smooth. Blend in warm cream
mixture a little at a time. Whisk egg mixture into melted
chocolate until smooth.

Arrange toasted bread slices, buttered side up, in prepared
dish until dish is full. Pour chocolate mixture over bread
and let rest 40 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.

Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking
dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan
on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach
halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake 40 to 50 minutes,
until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let rest 8 hours
or overnight.

To make sauce, melt unsweetened chocolate in small saucepan
over low heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Stir
in boiling water, 1/2 cup sugar and corn syrup until smooth.
Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Boil gently for
3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.

To serve: Warm bottom of baking dish, loosen edges of pudding
with a knife then invert cold pudding onto a serving platter.
Serve with warm chocolate sauce.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Bobbi writes in:

   Here is my favorite site. It is "Our Family & Friends
   Favorite Recipes" (I have a page on there as well!

   http://www.geocities.com/lunarlooneys/1F-FavRecepees.html

Reader Joni shares:

   Cook's Thesaurus
   http://www.foodsubs.com/

Reader Jeanne suggests:

   Cooking with Herbs
   http://www.sunthymesherbfarm.com/cooking.htm

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Dianne shares:

                  NO COST GIFTS

THE GIFT OF LISTENING

   But you must REALLY listen. No interrupting, no
   daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening.

THE GIFT OF AFFECTION

   Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on
   the back and handholds. Let these small actions
   demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.

THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER

   Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories.
   Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you".

THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE

   It can be a simple "Thanks for the help" note or a full
   sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered
   for a lifetime, and may even change a life.

THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT

   A simple and sincere, "You look great in red",
   "You did a super job" or "That was a wonderful
   meal" can make someone's day.

THE GIFT OF A FAVOR

   Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.

THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE

There are times when we want nothing better than
to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and
give the gift of solitude to others.

THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION

The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word
to someone, really it's not that hard to say "Hello"
or "Thank You".

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Check Out Bill Austin's Mailing Lists.....

He runs lists on a large variety of technologies, fun topics,
job related topics and has the best discussion lists anywhere!
Several of these are the largest public lists in their category.

Come see what your missing. Visit us on the Web at:
http://home.att.net/~wbaustin/index.html
<A HREF=" http://home.att.net/~wbaustin/index.html ">
Click Here! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Million Dollar Fudge

Readers Karen and Lois share:

               MILLION DOLLAR FUDGE

4 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk
3/4 cup butter or margarine
12 ounces chocolate chips
32 large marshmallows
1 tablespoon vanilla
nuts, if desired

In a medium saucepan, bring butter, sugar and evaporated
milk to a full rolling boil. Boil rapidly for 8 1/2 minutes.

Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and marshmallows.
Stir well until blended, then pour into a large buttered
1-inch pan. Cool. Knead in vanilla and nuts. Form into logs,
or other desired shapes until you are ready to cut the fudge.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Romance Writers Wanted ! ! ! Participate with a short story
(2000-2500 words) in a NEW e-book. Get published and share
in the royalties. We don't ask you to write a masterpiece ! ! !
No investment needed. It's FREE to participate. Interested?
For guidelines blank mailto:romance-@sendfree.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Sally asks:

   Does anybody out there have a recipe for Pepper Steak
   Soup? We just love it and I can't find any recipes that
   even sound like it would be close. We get the soup at
   the O'Charley's resturant. Thanks.

Can any of you readers help Sally? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pepper_Steak_Soup
">
Send pepper steak soup recipe for Sally </A>

Reader JimF shares:

   I saw a recipe in the paper for Hillbilly Apple Pie. It's
   made just like an apple pie except you use sliced turnips.
   I don't believe there is enough sugar and seasonings in the
   world to make turnips edible.

Reader Dianne writes in:

   I would like to thank everyone who sent diabetic recipes and
   websites for me to find diabetic recipes! It was such a big
   help to me! Thank you all!!

Reader Surfin Granny asks:

   Just bought my George Foreman grill. I know they have been on
   the market for a while but Granny is a little slow. Did not
   know they sold in small sizes. Would like more recipes. The
   book has only a few. Can anybody help?

   Editor's note: My friend Debbie Adams has a discussion group
   for Indoor Grill information and recipes. There have been a
   lot of good recipes and tips sent in. This isn't a newsletter,
   so there can occasionally be quite a few e-mails in a day (but
   you can always go to "digest" so you receive multiple e-mails
   in a single e-mail message). If you'd like to give Indoor Grill
   a try (and then you can visit their archives, too), just send a
   blank e-mail to:

     Indoorgrill-@yahoogroups.com

Can any of you help Surfin Granny? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Grill ">
Send indoor grill recipes for Surfin Granny </A>

Reader Willard tells us:

   I enjoy your newsletter very much.

   I'm looking for a recipe & thought you might help. The recipe
   is for pickled eggs.

   I had them at Der Dutchman restaurant in Walnut Creek, Ohio.
   They are yellow, so I assume they have mustard in the recipe.
   I haven't been able to find the recipe so any help would be
   appreciated.

Do any of you have a favorite pickled eggs recipe? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pickled_Eggs ">
Send pickled egg recipe for Willard </A>

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.