Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 301  Cat Adams
 May 19, 2002 17:22 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 301
May 19, 2002

Happy Victoria Day to our U.S. friends and Allies!

Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Fettucine
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Easy Breakfast Sandwich
. Recipe: Pickled Eggs
. Pet Place
. Recommended Web Sites
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Shrimp Fried Rice
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

           *** KIDZ KINGDOM ***
A unique, once a week list, for kids 10 and under.
Chock full of fun and learning experiences. Jokes,
riddles, fun facts, interesting sites, fun sites, recipes,
crafts, science projects and a whole lot more.
e-mail: thekidzkingd-@topica.com
<A HREF=" mailto:thekidzkingd-@topica.com ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Fettucine with Creamy Tomato and Sausage Sauce

Reader JudyR (in Florida) shares:

This recipe is absolutely delicious. It is now a family
favourite. The secret is to use a good quality sausage.
We used hot and sweet Italian sausage. I love this recipe.
I have made it several times for friends and it is always
a big hit. I serve this with a nice spinach salad and a
crunchy loaf of bread.

   FETTUCCINE WITH CREAMY TOMATO AND SAUSAGE SAUCE

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
1 cup whipping cream
2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice with Italian seasonings
1 tablespoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
3/4 pound fettuccine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots
and garlic and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add sausages and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up with
back of fork, about 5 minutes. Add cream; simmer 5 minutes. Add
tomatoes with juices, sage and crushed red pepper. Simmer until
sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until
just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2
cup cooking liquid.

Return pasta to same pot; add sauce. Toss over medium heat until
sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls
if mixture is dry. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl;
sprinkle with cheese and serve.

Makes 6 servings.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The newest edition of TexasCook.Com's eCookbook has been
released and is available for download "The Soup Kitchen" is 39
ways to make soup. Available in a Branded edition, too, for
downloads at your website. Access from the front page at:
http://texascook.com
<A HREF=" http://texascook.com ">
eBook </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Diana asked:

   Hi. My question is how to clean mini blinds without it
   costing a lot of money. It looks as if the people who lived
   here before us never cleaned them, so I'm sure there's
   probably 15 years of dirt, dust, grease and who know what
   else built up on them.

Thank you all for sending in your suggestions (below).

* * *
To clean horribly disgusting mini-blinds: remove from windows,
take into back yard or driveway and spray well with water.
Then spray very well with GREASED LIGHTENING and let stand for
about 1/2 hour. Rinse well with water and wipe clean with paper
towels or clean rags. Repeat if necessary, but have faith, it
works. (Nan)

* * *
To clean my mini blinds I use greased lightning on them. This
really cuts the grease. I put them in the bathtub or hang them
on the clothes line and clean them. Good Luck!! (Teresa)

* * *
I soaked mine in Fantastic, then hung on the clothes line, and
sprayed them off with the hose... worked great. (RF)

* * *
I have found that the dust spray for computers works great on
the blinds --- you can get it at Sams. (MSD)

* * *
Put them in the bath tub with detergent and LOTS of bleach.
Let them soak and rinse well. May require some scrubbing with
brush. (RH)

* * *
1/2 cup of laundry bleach in about 3" of hot water in the bath
tub. Allow to soak for about 1/2 hr. Squish around a bit and
then just hang to dry. (MBH)

* * *
I have had GREAT success taking them down and soaking the
blinds in the tub with "Tide with bleach". They come out
looking brand new. To keep them looking fresh I wipe them down
occasionally with baby wipes. Good luck! (Casey)

* * *
To clean my mini blinds, I put them in a bathtub of warm
water with some Tide and let soak for a while and then spray
them. I turn them on end in a bucket to transport them to the
basement and hang over nails with towels underneath until they
dry. They come out beautifully. (GW)

* * *
I clean my mini blinds in the bath tub. I put in Spic and Span
or some such cleaner like that (15 years of gunk you may want
to make bleach water). You use all hot water and let them soak
all night... the next day rinse and stand them on end and let
them dry and rehang! Just that simple :) (Patty)

* * *
I lay my mini blinds on a big towel and wipe them down with
"Simple Green" I have added to warm water. If they are really
bad, just spray it on full strength, leave it sit a few minutes,
and wipe with clear water. (Sarah)

* * *
Do you have a Dollar Store, or a Family Dollar in your area? It
can be purchased at either of these stores. My friend cleans her
blinds with what is called, Mean Green. I have passed it onto so
many others that are cleaning mini blinds. They all now swear by
this stuff.

I buy it in the gallon jug as it is good for everything. It will
cut the grease and grime without all the scrubbing. It isn't
expensive, so if you try it and like what you bought, let me know.
I will be curious in finding out how it worked for you. (Janet)

* * *
We spread ours out in the dishwasher and run thru a short cycle.
Stop before drying cycle and hang outside to dry. Works very well.
(Gerry)

* * *
Give them the Scrubbing Bubbles soak and probably several times
with a lot of brushing. I have the same mess from cigarette smoke.
(Lois)

* * *
I was in same situation upon moving into a house that was loaded
with the filthiest mini blinds I have run across in years. I went
the route of trying all kinds of cleaning sprays on them but finally
latched onto the perfect solution.

Take them down and put them into the bathtub with any good cleaning
solution, I used plain old Spic and Span. I let them soak about half
an hour, and they came out perfectly clean with simple wiping off.
Then I took them outside and sprayed them off with water and let them
dry in the sun and re-hung them. Saved me hours in work. Good luck.
(Donna)

* * *
When I clean my blinds I run hot water into bathtub and pour in lemon
ammonia, and swish them up and down several times and they come out
sparkling clean every time. Also I have used OxyClean the same way.

When you take them out of the bathtub be sure to rinse well. Stand on
end and let drain well and then they are ready to re-hang. Good Luck.
(Em)

* * *
Fill your tub with warm water and add bleach, a little soap and white
vinegar. Open your blinds and place in the tub, folding back and forth.
Let them soak for half an hour or so and wipe with a dust brush. Don't
use a rag, as the blinds can give you small cuts. Hang over your clothes
line and hose down. If they are still too yellow when you take them out
of the tub, leave them in and add more bleach. (Tamber)

* * *
I have used Simple Green from Automotive section of Walmart with great
success in all forms of cleaning. It is concentrated, so a little goes
a long way. Simply put some in your tub, with HOT water, and then put
blind in to soak. Leave in tub for no less than 15 minutes, and then
rinse and hang on line.

Your blinds should come out sparkling clean! If even this doesn't work,
put bleach INSTEAD of the Simple Green in tub with same procedure.
Clean for sure! Good luck! (Nellie)

* * *
We own a lot of apartments and all have mini blinds. We take them down,
there are little clips that have to be opened, depending on the make
of blind, and take them outside to a driveway or a clothes line, hang
on line and wash them with soapy water and a brush. They come out
looking like new. (Barbara)

* * *
I know cleaning Mini Blinds can be a real chore. The best answer I
have is to put warm water in your bathtub, add ammonia and the blinds.
The amount of ammonia depends on how much water is being used. Follow
the directions on the bottle. {Be careful when using ammonia it can
be very dangerous. {Rubber gloves may be a good idea too.}

Let the blinds soak a little while (maybe 1/2 hour) depending on how
dirty they are. Then dunk them in the water a few times and they
should come clean. If not, you may need to wash every single slat
with a sponge, etc., dipped in the ammonia solution.

After they are clean to your satisfaction, rinse with clear water
and let drip dry. Good luck and let us know what solution you come
up with that worked for you. (Hazel)

* * *
If TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) is legal in your area, make a bucket
of water up with it and hang the blinds over a ladder or saw horses
or something similar out in the yard. Scrub them good with the TSP
solution and then hose them off. Leave hanging out there until dry.
If you can't get your hands on TSP maybe something like OxyClean would
work? Good luck. (Carol)

* * *
I have cleaned VERY dirty mini-blinds by filling the bathtub 1/2 full
of warm water, 1/2 cup of Dawn dish detergent, mix, "plop" the entire
blind in the tub, let soak -- I didn't even have to scrub -- 1/2 hour
later they were clean, rinse and lay outdoors on a clean old sheet to
dry. I've even cleaned NOT very dirty ones that way--every year :-)
Good luck. (Diane)

* * *
I had the same problem before. I bought Super Clean in the Automotive
department at WalMart and took the blinds outside to the picnic table.
I sprayed them with a hose on light spray at first. Then I applied the
Super Clean which is a spray. I let them set for a few minutes and then
wiped them off. I followed that up with a rinse and let them dry in the
sun. They looked like new again.

We even use Super Clean on our furnace precipitron to clean it. It even
cleaned my stove up better than anything else I've used; I'm talking
the outside of the stove. I wouldn't suggest using it on the inside.
I keep finding new uses for it all the time. (Nancy)

* * *
I don't know if mini-blinds are different from venetian blinds but
when I was a kid, my Mom put hers in the bathtub with detergent and
bleach and soaked them. She then dried them outside on the clothesline.
(Carol)

* * *
Take the blinds to the car wash and hang them on the mat hanger and
gently spray or place in your tub and swish up and down in a gentle
cleanser. (Crystal)

* * *
The way my mother always cleans her mini blinds is she would run
warm water with ammonia in the bathtub and put her blinds in to soak.
Then she gently wiped them off with a washcloth. They looked really
good and it got all the dirt and dust off. I hope it works. (Lisa)

* * *
The best way to clean those blinds is to put them in your bathtub
with hot water and spic'n'span. Let them soak awhile and then take
a toilet bowl brush (or buy one at the dollar store) and brush gently
so as not to break the cords. The built up dirt will come off and you
might have to use a rag also in spots.

Drain the tub and then let the shower rinse them off. Take them
outside and hang them over the porch railing or clothes line to dry
and olay' ~~~ they will be beautiful! (IronWoman)

* * *
I have recently been using Orange Clean to clean any and everything,
including kitchen cabinet doors that looked as if the people before
us had never washed them off. They used to be black and caked with
grease, but are now the natural wood color again and it looks as if
I have replaced them. You may need to let it sit for just a few minutes,
but I am sure this will bring them back to their original look. (Terry)

* * *
Try CLR it is the best thing I have found to clean almost everything.
(Lori)

* * *
I took an old sheet and took down my mini blinds and took them to a
car wash. I laid the sheet down and put the blinds on top of it and
washed them there. Dried them with a soft towel. Once dry, wipe them
with a used fabric sheet or put a thin coat of glycerin on them to
repel future dust. (Kris)

* * *
I take my mini-blinds down, fill the bathtub with hot water, add some
bleach & 409 and let them soak for a few hours. Then I use a toilet
bowl brush on them as I raise them out of the water. Let the water
out of the tub and turn the shower on to rinse them. Then stand them
on end to dry. Re-hang and they look brand new. Not much work involved
in my process. (Janie)

* * *
I have mini blinds in the kitchen: no problem to clean. I put them
into the bathtub with a scoop of Oxi-clean and hot water to cover.
Let it sit for a while, at least till the water cools a bit. Brush
over them with a scrub brush, rinse and let dry. Even the tape looks
new with Oxi-clean. (POL)

* * *
Hi, I take my mini blinds down and soak them in the bathtub, I use
Oxyclean in the water. Works great! (Jeannie)

* * *
I have a problem with blinds since we have wood heat, smokers in
the house and live between a busy street and a freeway. What I do
is take mine down. Use hot soapy (laundry soap) water with some
bleach. Take a brush and scrub them and then either rinse them in
the tub or take them outside and hose them and then dry them with
a towel. They come out just like new. (Donna)

* * *
The easiest way is to fill a bathtub with several inches of water
to cover blinds and add some kind of cleaner such as Mr. Clean or
Pine Sol, or about 1/2 cup of bleach. Open blinds all the way and
fold into water. Let sit about 20 minutes or so depending on how
soiled they are and then drain water from tub and rinse blinds well.

You can hang them on a clothesline to dry if you have access to one
or drape over shower bar with a couple of towels underneath. Of
course, this is assuming they are vinyl blind and not wooden or
fabric covered.

I've done this many times before myself and the strings dry out
after a few hours without any problems. Once I cleaned 4 pairs at
once and then hung them from a tree in the front yard. My husband
came home and said only a redneck wouldn't mind the neighbors seeing
their tree decorated with mini blinds! LOL You never know what you'll
see for yard decorations in Mississippi. Good luck. (Abby)

* * *
Here's a thorough, cheap way to clean mini-blinds (especially for
blinds with years of dirt). Most blinds have separate hardware at
the top, so you can remove the blinds from the top for cleaning.

Mix a soap/water mixture in the bathtub. Holding the blinds at the
top, dip the blinds into the soap/water mixture, lightly brushing
with a medium/soft cleaning brush. After brushing one side of the
blind, use the drawstring to "close" the blind and scrub the other
side. It may be a 2-person job -- one to hold up the blind, another
to scrub (but I have done it myself, with a few sore arm muscles to
show for it!).

For rinsing, if you don't have a flexible shower fixture/wand, use
a container of water to repeatedly pour water over the cleaned
blinds. Lay beach towels on the bathroom floor, lay the clean blinds
down, and pat them dry on both sides. If your blinds are metal, be
sure to dry them immediately!

TIPS:
. Use carwash soap instead of household cleaning products, it's
gentler, streaks less, cuts the grime well, and leaves a
less-dull surface finish.
. Use the sloping side of the bathtub to lay the blinds against
while scrubbing.
. Try to keep wetness out of any metal hardware at the top, and
dry metal parts well to avoid rusting.
. Be careful to brush gently enough to not bend individual slats.
(Susan T)

* * *

Reader Ruby asks:

   How do I store garlic that I buy in the grocery store? I used
   to peel it and put it in oil, but I have read that is dangerous.
   I hate it to dry up before I use it. Please help. Thanks.

Can any of you readers help Ruby? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Garlic ">
Send garlic info for Ruby </A>

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Get Paid to Shop! Mystery Shoppers Needed!
Get free weekly Job listings.    (all states)
Free subscription ~ Mystery Shopper Jobs

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Easy Breakfast Sandwich

Reader Donna shares:

            EASY BREAKFAST SANDWICH

1 English Muffin split and toasted
mayonnaise (I use lite)
1 egg
cooked bacon
1 slice American Cheese

Split and toast the English muffin. I use one of those microwave
egg cookers and hard cook the egg, takes about 45 seconds. I heat
the bacon in the microwave per instructions on the package (a
couple of slices per sandwich). Then spread mayonnaise on the
muffin, add egg, bacon and slice of cheese to make the sandwich
and put in the microwave about 10 seconds and have a great sandwich
to eat on the run.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

!! HEY MOVIE BUFFS & GAME NUTS !!

Want to save on movies & games? Are you hungry for snacks?
Enjoy freebies and stuff? Then you should read Reel 2 Reel!
Visit us at: http://adventureland.moviefever.com Sign up for the
newsletter -- send an email to: reel2reel--@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Not a Gas-Guzzler?
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/054.html

Cow Golf
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny665.html

Blonde Moment
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-96&R=1-9-1

Not Stuped?
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/056.html

Bad Hair Day
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny667.html

Not an Early Riser
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-97&R=1-9-1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Pickled Eggs

Reader Ruth shares (for Willard):

Here are 2 recipes for Pickled Eggs that you might like.
The first one makes the golden colored ones you requested.
I like both but especially the Beet Pickled Eggs! Of course
I am a beet lover from way back so guess I am a little biased.
Enjoy. Note: Recipes courtesy www.FabulousFoods.com

                PICKLED EGGS

You can really use any color peppercorns, but using white
gives the eggs a better appearance. The small amount of
turmeric give the eggs a wonderful golden color.

12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1-1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. white peppercorns, crushed
1/2 tsp. crushed allspice
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. celery seeds
2 shallots, thinly sliced

Take a fork and gently pierce each egg through the white to the
yolk about 6 times, but leaving the whole egg intact. Pack the
eggs into a clean 1 quart jar.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan and
bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Let liquid cool for about 10-15 minutes.

Pour liquid over eggs in jar, tightly cap jar and refrigerate. It
will take about a week for the eggs to absorb the flavorings and
they will keep, refrigerated, for several weeks. Makes 1 dozen
pickled eggs.

                 BEET PICKLED EGGS

12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1-1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup beet juice
8-10 whole peppercorns
3 whole cloves
3-4 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
2 sprigs fresh dill

Pack peeled eggs in a clean one quart jar. Combine remaining
ingredients, except dill in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Pour hot mixture over
eggs, add dill and cover tightly. Refrigerate for at least 2
days before serving. Will keep for about 2 weeks in the
refrigerator. Makes 1 dozen pickled eggs.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The free monthly Crittergames Club Newsletter is
filled with interesting info about weird
critters, articles about animals in the news, and
links to wonderful, kid-safe sites that offer
free online games and animations. Sign up by
sending a blank email to
mailto:newsl-@crittergames.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Ella shares:

                  CAT COOKIES

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup soy flour
1 teaspoon catnip
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons wheat germ
1/3 cup powdered milk
1 Tablespoon unsulphured molasses
2 Tablespoons butter or vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients together. Add molasses, egg, oil and milk.
Roll out flat onto oiled cookie sheet and cut into small, cat
bite-sized pieces. Bake for 20 minutes.

Let cool and store in tightly sealed container.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The Natural-Health-Ezine is a free weekly publication dedicated
to promoting articles on Healthy, Natural Dieting, Vegetarian and
Vegan Recipes, Disease Treating Herbs, Your Body and its Needs,
Water and Good Health, Treating Depression, Caring for the Sick
and Much More! To Join, send an email to jo-@torchlake.com
with "SUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.
<A HREF=" mailto:jo-@torchlake.com?subject=Subscribe ">
Subscribe </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader June shares:

   Baking 911
   http://www.baking911.com/pantry_substitutes_ingredients.htm

Ruth recommends:

   If you yearn for "the good-old days" and miss your grandmother's
   cooking, then this is the site for you. All of the recipes at
   FreeRecipe.org date back to the early 1900s.

   http://www.freerecipe.org/

Reader Myron tells us to visit:

   Look at this wonderful site...
   tips, recipes and whatever!

   http://www.kansascitycooking.com/kitchen.htm

   Enjoy!

Lois writes in:

   Hi, This is Lois and I found a place that has a zillion
   bread machine recipes.

   http://www.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/Recipes/Bread_Machine/

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Ruth shares:

                MY MOTHER'S APRON

My mother's old checkered apron was a garment full and wide;
It filled its humble mission, and a million more beside....
'Twas made of 6-cent gingham, it was neither fine nor grand,
Just a plain and simple pattern, made by a busy hand.

It had a little cross-stitch along the bottom row
And two long strings that tied behind, in a hasty half-hitch bow.
It had no lace or ruffles, nor pretty appliqué,
But its simple, homey usefulness was an epic of the day.

'Twas used to shoo the flies,
'Twas used to wipe away the tears from weeping infant's eyes,
'Twas used to carry in the eggs, in leafy bowers,
And bring in half-drowned chicks caught in sudden showers.

'Twas used to snatch the hot kettles when a pot rag was not at hand,
To tighten on fruit jar lids when winter stores were canned.
'Twas used to gather garden stuff and peaches from the hill,
And many a mess of greens did Mother's apron fill.

Her hands were sheltered from the gale, beneath the sheltered fold,
And tiny feet nestled there on mornings bleak and cold.
'Twas a queenly garment and Mother was queen,
As memory brings back to me, 'twas a noble thing, I ween,

And when I wander at Heaven's throng, with robes so bright and fair,
I'll say the old checkered apron is what I want to wear.

(author unknown)

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

KLINGON TEDDY BEARS - not your average teddy!
Check out our original, handcrafted Klingon merchandise.
Enter our monthly contest and you could win a
FREE Klingon Teddy Bear!
http://klingonteddy.tripod.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Shrimp Fried Rice

Reader Myron shares:

               SHRIMP FRIED RICE

There are as many fried rice recipes as there are Chinese
cooks! This is the way I remember Ruth, my Chinese cooking
teacher, making it. She was from Hong Kong, so I assume this
is a Cantonese version.

I hope that you can figure it out! So much depends on what
ingredients you have on hand. Mine is never the same twice!

Cook rice way ahead of time and cool in fridge. You need
cold rice!

Heat wok very hot. Add a few Tbsp. oil to wok. Stir-fry a
dried red pepper or two and a few garlic cloves. Remove
before they get too black -- discard! You're just trying to
flavor the oil here.

Stir fry your shrimp until pink. Remove and drain.

Stir-fry whatever veggies you want... green onions, carrots?
peas? Remove and drain.

Notes: Add oil from time to time if wok looks too dry! Ruth
was a perfectionist... she wiped the wok clean after each step!

Stir-fry a beaten egg. Make a small omelet. Remove and slice
into shreds (I've used a pizza cutter!).

Place a few cups of cold rice in the wok. Stir-fry. Add a few
Tbsp. of soy sauce. When hot, begin adding pre-cooked ingredients...
shrimp, veggies, egg, etc.

Now, the secret ingredient... a Tbsp of sugar!

Mix all thoroughly. Salt & pepper to taste. When heated through,
serve at once!

Enjoy... I hope I have not overlooked anything!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

* * * * Jokeworm.com's - Cleantoons * * * *
Two Very Funny clean 'toons,
a daily Quote and a Fact of the day -
What more could you want?
Oh yeah - Its FREE
Join us now - send an e-mail to
Cleantoons-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Gerry asks:

We had guests from The Netherlands over the Christmas Holidays.
They made a Dutch dish they called "Hookspot." (I am spelling
it the way it sounded to me.) It was made up of potatoes,
carrots, onions, and meat, all cooked and seasoned, then mashed
up together. It was delicious, but they didn't have a recipe for
it, just made it. They said it was a standard dish in every Dutch
family, just like Chicken Soup is in every Jewish family. Are
there any Dutch families out there that would share their recipe?
We would like to make this again.

Can any of you readers help Gerry?
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Hookspot ">
Send "Hookspot" recipe for Gerry </A>

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright © 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.