Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 303  Cat Adams
 Jun 02, 2002 17:32 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 303
June 2, 2002

We had beautiful weather this weekend in Southern
California. I hope that you're enjoying the same!

Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Beef and Parsley Dumpling Bake
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Popcorn Cake
. Recipe: Fat Free Deviled Eggs
. Pet Place
. Recommended Web Sites
. Recipe: Hutspot
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Orange Julius
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

              *** KIDZ KINGDOM ***
A unique, once a week list, for kids 10 and under.
Chock full of fun and learning experiences. Jokes,
riddles, fun facts, interesting sites, fun sites, recipes,
crafts, science projects and a whole lot more.
e-mail: thekidzkingd-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Beef and Parsley Dumpling Bake

Reader JudyR (in Florida) shares:

             BEEF AND DUMPLING BAKE

2 pounds round steak, cubed
1/3 cup flour
2 medium onions, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 can 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can onion soup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 package 10 oz. frozen peas
4 green pepper rings
1/2 cup chopped black olives
parsley dumplings (recipe follows)

Coat steak with flour. Brown in small amount of shortening
in skillet. Add onions, bay leaves, mushrooms, soups and
1 soup can water. Cover. Bake at 400 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.
Remove bay leaves. Add peas, green pepper and olives. Drop
dumplings by rounded teaspoonfuls over steak mixture. Cover.
Bake for 25 minutes longer.

                PARSLEY DUMPLINGS

1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon sage
1 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine egg, milk, parsley flakes, oil and sage in bowl;
mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to
egg mixture. Stir until just mixed.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

ARE YOU THE TERMINATOR OF TRIVIA?

Is your brain filled with useless factoids?
Do you delight in your arcane knowledge?
Test your knowledge & tease your brain with The QuizQueen!

Visit: http://quizqueen.net
Subscribe on site (home page) or e-mail:
mailto:The_quizque-@quizqueen.net?subject=subscribe

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Ruby asked:

   How do I store garlic that I buy in the grocery store? I used
   to peel it and put it in oil, but I have read that is dangerous.
   I hate it to dry up before I use it. Please help. Thanks.

Thank you all for writing in to help Ruby. Your suggestions
follow:

I break up the garlic into little bulbs. Then I put them
in a plastic container with a cover. I put them in the
freezer. Then I can take out what I need and put the
container back in the freezer until next time. They peel
really easily when you put the blade of a knife on them
and hit it with your fist - lightly will do! And they are
easy to dice up when they are frozen too. Good luck. I
hope this works for you. (Nancy)

* * *

The key to keeping your garlic fresh is to keep it in a
dark environment where the temperature does not fluctuate
radically and the garlic has adequate air circulation. A
colander or mesh bag full of garlic kept in a little-used
cupboard or cold cellar is an ideal situation. Humidity
should be around 71 per cent.

When you are removing garlic for use be sure that the
remaining bulbs are not exposed to light at any time as
this will trip the bulb into growth, thereby lessening the
length of time it will stay fresh. Also, radical changes
in temperature will also trip the bulb into growth.

Storing your whole bulbs of garlic in the refrigerator is
not recommended. However, if you wish to store some garlic
in the refrigerator, an effective and most convenient way
of doing this is to break apart the bulb, peel each clove
and then store them in a covered container (we just use
plastic wrap).

The cloves seem to stay firm for several weeks and you have
the convenience of having a supply of prepared cloves ready
for use when you need them. (Lois)

* * *

I have been doing this for over 40 years and am still doing
it. Take your garlic pods and get the skins off and put them
in a jar with olive oil. Be sure to keep refrigerated.

If you need one or two or whatever amount, just take them out
with a spoon and use them. Olive oil is good for you, so if
any sticks to the garlic, an added bonus'!!!! Hope you enjoy!
(Janelee)

* * *

When buying large amounts of garlic or picking it from the
garden, I have put it in a small food processor that I have
for onions and garlic only. I chop it and put it in a small
jar and freeze it. I take it out and use a spoon to shave off
the amount that I need for the recipe and put it back in the
freezer before it thaws out. I also just allow the ropes of
garlic that I get from the stores here in TX to dry out
naturally. (Angy)

* * *

I never heard that Garlic stored in oil could be dangerous.
I like to do it that way. Please tell me what you hear about
it. I also clean the garlic, and put it through my food
processor and grate it up, or just slice it, and store it
in the freezer in baggies. It's handy when you want it.
Hope this helps. (Angie)

* * *

Put garlic cloves into a Ziplock bag and store in the freezer.
They stay good for several months. Makes peeling the cloves
easy, too. Just run under warm water. (Brenda)

* * *

I mince mine up and put in a jar with a little bit of vegetable
oil and cover tightly. Last for a long time. I've never had any
trouble. Hope this helps. (Cindy)

* * *

I've heard that you can store peeled garlic in the freezer in
a plastic bag to keep it fresh. I'm not sure how long, since
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would stay fresh
for a few months or so. (Tasha)

* * *

The best way is to put it in a jar with no lid and store it in
a cool, dry place. (Annie)

* * *

I store fresh garlic in a ziploc bag in the freezer. I find it
easier to peel, and it last longer (no drying out). (Kim)

* * *

First soak them - so they are easy to peel. Peel them and put
the cloves in a bowl in the fridge - ready to use whenever.
Also can be frozen. (Connie)

* * *

I take whole garlic and put them in "canning jars", tighten
the lid and put in the refrigerator. Lasts for months! IF
any start to sprout, I plant THEM, after breaking up the
sprouts, indoors or out, and continue to have fresh garlic
year round. (Linda in California)

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

A TRIVIA BREAK…better than a coffee break!

Tease your brain & tickle your funny bone
A dozen trivia questions every Wednesday…
…the perfect midweek pick-me-up!
Visit: http://atriviabreak.quizqueen.net
Subscribe on site (home page) or e-mail:
mailto:A_Trivia_Br-@quizqueen.net?subject=subscribe

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Popcorn Cake

Reader Jessie shares:

                  POPCORN CAKE

4 quarts popped corn
1/2 lb. gum drops
1/2 lb. peanuts
1 lb. marshmallows
1/2 cup melted margarine
1/2 cup corn oil

Melt marshmallows, margarine, and corn oil. Pour over
popcorn, nuts and gum drips. Mix together and pat in a
bundt cake pan or angel food cake pan. Cool.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Which Door?
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/063.html

Jet Ski?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny671.html

Chicks in Heels
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-100&R=1-9-1

Don't Mess With Texas!
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/066.html

Animal Magnetism?!?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny672.html

Quit Smoking Program
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-101&R=1-9-1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Fat Free Deviled Eggs

Reader JimF shares:

             FAT FREE DEVILED EGGS

Many people love eggs prepared this way but avoid them
due to the fat and cholesterol. Here's a way you can
enjoy them without the bad stuff.

6 eggs, hard-boiled
1 large potato baked or boiled with skin on
2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 tsp. fat-free mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Shell eggs, split lengthwise, remove and dispose of yokes.
Remove skin from potato and mash completely. Combine rest
of ingredients with mashed potato and stuff the eggs with
the mixture. Sprinkle with paprika for garnish. You can
adjust the ingredients to taste.

http://www.geocities.com/jimforetales/
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

ADVICE FOR LIFE……BECAUSE WE ALL NEED
SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE SOMETIMES

Life * Love * Families * Friendsè ADVICE FOR LIFE!
Make new friends * Share advice * Everyone wins!
Visit: http://adviceforlife.justfolks.net
Subscribe on site (home page) or e-mail:
mailto:Advice_For_L-@justfolks.net?subject=subscribe

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Dianne shares:

        BAKING COOKIES WITH YOUR CAT

. Look in cookbook for cookie recipe.
. Get cup of coffee.
. Get cat off of cookbook.
. Find that special recipe.
. Get cat's nose out of coffee mug.
. Go to fridge and get eggs.
. Get dry ingredients from cupboard.
. Break eggs in small bowl.
. Sift dry ingredients in large bowl.
. Answer the phone.
. Cat ate eggs; get more from fridge.
. Get cat out of flour bowl and dust cat off.
. Get Band-Aids for scratches on hands.
. Throw flour out and get more.
. Preheat oven for cookies.
. Looking at cat & wanting to bake cat now.
Cat runs for cover into bathroom.
. Flour the counter to roll out cookie dough.
. Big crash in bathroom; run to see what happened.
. Cat has TP all over floor; stuff spilled and
knocked over on top of bathroom counter.
. Yell at cat. Cat falls in toilet bowl.
Can sense cat is angry.
. Take cat out of toilet to dry cat off.
. Get bandages to cover more scratches on arms and legs.
. Cleanup bathroom.
. Hear a thump in kitchen ... Oh Golly ... now what?
. Get cat off floured counter in kitchen.
. Try to pick out cat hairs from flour.
. Step on cat's tail and get bitten.
. Get coat, car keys, and go to store to buy cookies.

[Editor's note: How come Dianne always sends me these
naughty cat stories? <grin>]

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

NEED SOME UPBEAT NEWS ABOUT GOOD PEOPLE?
Then you need JustFolks -- the upbeat Ezine!

The extra-ordinary stories of ordinary people JustFolks believes
everyone has a story and deserves a chance to share it. JustFolks
delivers upbeat & inspiring stories Twice each month (1st & 15th)
Visit: http://justfolks.net Subscribe on site (home page) or e-mail:
mailto:Justfolks_l-@justfolks.net?subject=subscribe

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Pat shares:

   Meal Master Recipes
   http://www.garvick.com/recipes/meal-master.htm

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Hutspot

Reader OneToe shares (for Gerry):

My friend from Holland sent me a recipe that you asked
about.

for 4 persons
I am sorry I know only the Europe weights

500 gram carrots
250 gram onions
1000 gram (1 kilo) potatoes

Cut the carrots in pieces. Cut the onions in rings.
Cook the carrots and the onion rings about 20 minutes.
Cook separate the potatoes. Put them all together.
Serve it with the sauce from the meat, else it's too
dry to eat it.

Enjoy the meal!
Groeten, Pieter

                   * * *

And reader NinetyMile and Pnell share:

Dutch Hutspot (4 servings)

2/3 lb. onions
4 lbs. potatoes, peeled
2 lbs. carrots
milk
salt and pepper
4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
Smoked sausage

Boil potatoes, onions and carrots together, until all are
soft enough to mash. Drain well, add butter, milk, salt and
pepper. Mash all together. While the other pot is boiling,
boil the sausage in another pot.

Put hutspot on plate, making a hole in middle and adding a
bit of butter, or clear brown gravy (jus), and the sausage
on the side.

[Note to Gerry: We have a quite a few more recipes to share.
And they're all different and unique! We'll be sharing them
in upcoming issues of Volunteer Vittles.]
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Joyce shares:

               MARRIAGE PIE RECIPE

5 Tablespoons of Understanding
1 Cup of Tolerance
1/2 Cup of Sweetness
4 Tablespoons of Like
6 Tablespoons of Love
1/2 Cup of Gentleness
4 Tablespoons of Sensitivity
Season with Desire, Need, Commitment

Start with the basic ingredients of Love and Like, seasoned
with Desire, Need and Commitment, then add 1/2 cup of
Gentleness and stir until soft, but peaking. Add tablespoons
of Sensitivity until very smooth, then continue to add Tolerance
until all the lumps are gone. Mix "briskly" until thick.

Cook slowly for too much heat too quickly may scorch it
damaging your previous efforts. If this occurs, remove the
outer shell, re-stir and add the desired ingredients to
accomplish smoothness, but peaking. Re-cook per directions,
and remember - only the outer shell was damaged, the basic
ingredients remain. The quantity may be slightly reduced, but
not the quality.

Apply maximum pressure until completely done and firm.

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Orange Julius

Reader JudyR (from Florida) shares:

                 ORANGE JULIUS

6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8-9 ice cubes

Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at
a time.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Shirley (from Missouri) shares:

   Check out this site for Pickled Eggs:
   www.recipecottage.com
   They are "yellow" but sure sound good!!!!

Reader Sandra writes in:

   Sure is nice having you back! I would like some "Master
   Recipes" for the bread machine. Thanks!

It's nice to be back, Sandra! Do any of you readers have
some great master bread machine recipes for Sandra? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Bread ">
Send bread machine recipes for Sandra </A>

Reader Kim shares (for Gerry):

   Hutsput? It is a standard dish and I've seen it spelled a
   couple different ways-this one is the way I remember the
   most- hutsput. We go to the Dutch festival here in town
   every year just to get some and buy a couple of Dutch Apple
   Pies and some cheese :) It's soo... good. But what we get
   is really likened to a slow cooked roast with a thick beef
   broth or brown gravy type stuff and then the potatoes are
   just mashed potatoes with chunks of carrots and onions in
   them- sort of mashed carrot, potatoes and onions. They put
   the carrot potato mix on a plate then put on the beef and
   gravy on top-TOO DIE FOR!! Its SSOOOOOOOO GOOD I usually
   eat two plates much to the distress of my belly :) I think
   it is a dish that could easily be recreated-although maybe
   not entirely authentic. I guess I don't know I'm not Dutch --
   just love the hutsput and apple pies :) MMMMM

Reader Jayni writes in (for Surfin Granny):

   I don't have a recipe for the GF Grill offhand, but here's
   my favorite tip for cleaning: As soon as I take the food off,
   I put a couple of wet paper towels on and close the cover.
   By the time we're through eating, the towels have absorbed
   most of the "gunk," and the grill is easy to wipe clean.
   Happy grilling AND surfing, Granny.

[Editor's note: Helga says - "Don't forget to turn off the grill
first!]

Reader Susan shares:

   CROCKPOT CONVERSION CHART

   If original recipe calls for 1/4 to 1/2 hour, cook on low for
   4 to 8 hours or cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours

   If original recipe calls for 1/2 to 1 hour, cook on low for
   6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours

   If original recipe calls for 1 to 3 hours, cook on low for
   8 to 16 hours or cook on high for 4 to 6 hours

   Low is 180 to 200 degrees
   High is around 300 degrees

   The cooking times sure aren't very specific, but only a
   guideline given by the Culinary Arts Institute.

   Source: http://www.geocities.com/webcipes/misc/m12.html

Reader Brooke asks:

   In a recent issue of your newsletter, either May 13 or
   20th, you published what sounded like a yummy recipe
   that had pasta (linguine?),cream, basil etc.

   Unfortunately that Newsletter was deleted from my
   files by mistake. Is there any way I could get another
   copy of that issue or even just the recipe?

Brooke, I think that you can find the recipe you're looking
for in Volume 301 (fettucine). Our e-zines are archived at:
http://www.topica.com/lists/VolunteerVittles/read

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright © 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.