Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 304  Cat Adams
 Jun 09, 2002 15:20 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 304
June 9, 2002

Uh oh. It's overcast and drizzling here in Southern
California. I hope that the sun is shining wherever
you are!

Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Easy Salisbury Steaks
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Candy Apple Delight
. Recipe: Hot and Spicy Pickled Eggs
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Cheesy Crockpot Chicken
. Recommended Web Sites
. Recipe: Dutch Hutspot
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Donna's Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

      **** Get GardenWise ****
Flowers wilting? Vegetables eaten by critters?
Get GardenWise and garden wise!
Food tastes better fresh from the garden...
e-mail: gardenwise-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Easy Salisbury Steaks

Reader Lois (from Ohio) shares:

Everyone will love this. Betcha :-)

              EASY SALISBURY STEAKS

2 pounds ground beef
3 envelopes brown gravy mix
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup onion, chopped
Garlic Salt
Ground black pepper

Combine beef with 1 envelope gravy mix and all other ingredients.
Form into patties. Broil in a large baking dish until evenly
browned on each side.

Mix remaining gravy mixes with 2 cups cold water. Pour over drained,
browned patties. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until
the gravy thickens. Serve with mashed potatoes.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

          ***HOLLYWEIRD REPORT ***
You've seen The Enquirer? People? Entertainment Weekly?
Interested in the latest Hollywood scoops? Of course!
Catch the latest humorous happenings in Hollyweird Report!
Includes movie reviews and outrageous quotes from the stars!
e-mail: laughloungeholl-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Linda (from California) shares:

   As I stated in my last reply: fresh garlic stores nicely
   in "canning jars" for weeks on end, whole and fresh, or
   chopped and peeled, same thing but ALWAYS in the refrigerator.

   On the bugs in your flour, rice, etc.? True they come to
   us that way, so, after opening... easy, roll up the bags
   of "it" and put in the refrigerator or the freezer, bugs
   be gone. YES, you need to clean out what you have hatched,
   but from then on, just put in the refrigerator or freezer.
   This works for "baby formulas too" for wild critters, and
   Wild birds....who needs bugs? BUT the bugs are harmless.

   Hey who knew that way back from the beginning of time to now,
   that our school cafe, served soups and etc., with these floating
   critters in it, and we thought it was rosemary? hahahaha.
   Hey, it won't kill ya. We LIVED to tell the story and ask the
   same old questions.

   I've found that keeping sugar in glass containers keeps it from
   getting too lumpy in moist climates... or in the refrigerator.
   Rice I've found saves well in the refrigerator... flour too,
   or in glass; brown sugar with an apple in it to keep it moist,
   or I use the FOOD SAVER to store it in one of their containers,
   and vacuum pack it, on the shelf, along with Parmesan cheese.
   Hey it's worth a try? It works for us?

Reader Jan asks:

   I have fabric miniblinds - horizontally pleated - called Day
   and Night blinds. They need cleaning. I have no idea how to
   do this, plus with a smoker in the house (has since quit),
   they are nicotine stained. Anyone have any ideas?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Fabric_Miniblinds ">
Send fabric miniblind cleaning tip for Jan </A>

Reader JudyR writes in:

   To clean eyeglasses use a drop of vinegar on each lens -
   no streaks!

Reader Wanda advises:

   Pest control, the loss of food due to weevils, ants, moths
   and roaches to name a few problems, made investing in plastic
   containers from stores that run a dollar or two along with
   glass jars with screw on lids. This way if you get food with
   pests in it, you throw away the contaminated food and not
   everything in the pantry or cupboard. At first it is costly,
   but now it saves me money.

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

     ***TONGUE IN CHEEK ADULT ***
Need some spicy humor to warm you up?
Tongue In Cheek delivers!
Spicy enough that you won't send them to Mom...
Clean enough that Mom may send them to you.
e-mail: TongueInChee-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Candy Apple Delight

Shelly shares:

               CANDY APPLE DELIGHT

8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 (8oz) cans crushed pineapple, drained
3 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, sliced
3 Snickers bars, cubed
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate, optional

Combine whipped topping and pineapple in bowl. Fold apples,
candy and peanuts into whipped topping mixture. Spread mixture
into pan. Grate chocolate over top.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Donutland
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/067.html

Lodging?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny673.html

Dog Debate
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-102&R=1-9-1

Pigeon Lessons
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/068.html

Beehive Destiny
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny674.html

Phone Home!
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-103&R=1-9-1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Hot and Spicy Pickled Eggs

Reader Jan shares (for Willard):

I found this in another e-list, and haven't tried it.
It sounds good.

         HOT AND SPICY PICKLED EGGS

About 12 hard-cooked eggs (to fill a quart jar), peeled
2 tablespoons pickling salt
6 fresh or pickled green chili peppers (such as serrano),
   slit lengthwise
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped

With a fork, pierce each egg through the white to the yolk
about 6 times. Put the eggs into a 1-quart jar. In a non-reactive
saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring them to a boil,
reduce the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer the contents 15 minutes.

Let the liquid cool a little, then pour it over the eggs. Cap the
jar, and refrigerate the jar for at least 1 week to allow the eggs
to absorb the flavorings. Refrigerated, the eggs will keep for
several weeks.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

         ***TONGUE IN CHEEK CLEAN***
Looking for good clean humor to start your day?
We deliver! Try Tongue in Cheek today.
Subscribe: TongueInCheekC-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Anita shares:

             GREAT DANISH CRUNCHIES

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients except
cinnamon. Add wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Knead dough.
Roll out into 1/2-inch square patty. Sprinkle cinnamon over
entire surface. Roll dough into a tight log. Freeze for 30
minutes. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Bake on a baking sheet
for 35 to 40 minutes. Yields 12-18 slices.

* * *

Reader MP shares:

   Our cat "Homer" was found wedged in a wall in our neighbor's
   barn. He was only about 3 weeks old when the neighbor gave
   him to us. He must have fallen and was wedged on his back
   and cried until he was rescued. He is now 6 years old and
   still sleeps on his back with his legs up in the air. We
   call him "road kill".

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Cheesy Crockpot Chicken

Reader JudyR (from Florida) shares:

            CHEESY CROCKPOT CHICKEN

One can of condensed cheese soup (I used Campbell's)
One can of condensed cream of chicken soup
salt, pepper and garlic salt (approx. 1/4 tsp. of each)
4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Put this all in a crockpot on low for 6 hours, then eat!
Serve over rice or noodles.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Ted and Dot share their NEW web site:
http://alabamayankee.myeweb.net/

Reader Susan suggests:

   The cook's helper recipe calculator program for
   converting recipes for a couple or a crowd.
http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/recipeconversions.asp

Reader GrannyB shares (for Sandra):

   Bread Machine Recipes - All About Food
   http://fp.enter.net/~rburk/breads/breadmachine/breadmachine.htm

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Dutch Hutspot

Reader Sally shares:

I have a recipe from years ago that is called Dutch Hutspot
and sounds something like what Gerry may be looking for. It
does not call for meat but I am sure that meat could be added.
This is what I have for this recipe.

                DUTCH HUTSPOT

8 California long potatoes
4 carrots
4 medium size onions
1/2 cup evaporated milk
sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Peel potatoes, cut in quarters, peel and dice carrots and onions.
Cook, covered in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and
shake vegetables over low heat to dry. Mash vegetables, adding
salt, pepper and hot evaporated milk. Beat until light and fluffy.
Heap in individual ramekins; sprinkle generously with grated sharp
cheddar cheese. Broil with surface of food 4" below heat until
cheese melts and browns. Makes six servings.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Dianne shares:

              RECIPE FOR FOREVER

Gather all of the ingredients together so that they are
close at hand.

Get a clean cloth and wipe the bowl clean of any lingering
"dust" from the past.

Take MATURITY, RESPECT, and FRIENDSHIP, and stir gently.
Add unlimited amounts of COMPASSION and KINDNESS, and mix
well.

To this, add CARING by the handfuls, and fold in TRUST.
Continue stirring gently, adding LISTENING, HONESTY, and
large amounts of COMMUNICATION.

Slip in some DREAMS, GOALS, and firm pieces of KEEPING
PROMISES.

Bake in a home filled with PEACE, BEAUTY, and SERENITY.
Before you taste the finished product, sprinkle liberally
with PATIENCE, LOVE, and a touch of SPICE.

Serve very hot, with IMAGINATION on the side.

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Too much mail? Too Many Quotes? Looking for only the best?
Get the Best Quote of the Day from all of Bill Austin's sources.
One quote is selected and distributed from hundreds sent daily.

Visit us on the web at:
To Join, email: bestquote--@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Donna's Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce

Reader Donna shares:

     DONNA'S BREAD PUDDING WITH HARD SAUCE

12 cups dried bread broken in pieces
1&1/2 cups raisins softened in boiling water
& 2 tsp. vanilla for 5 minutes. {optional}
1/2 cup I can't believe it's not butter sticks
4 cups milk
4 eggs room temp.
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. vanilla or almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Deep oblong pan with 1 inch water to set bread pans in
to bake
3 bread pans 8&1/2 X 4&1/2 X 2&1/2.

Heat milk and margarine on stove, medium heat, till margarine
is melted and milk scalded. In a large 4-quart (or larger)
mixing bowl, mix eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla
or almond extract. Stir in bread and raisins. Add milk and
margarine. Mix well so all bread is moist. I wipe my bread
pans with a little butter flavored spray on a paper towel.

Fill bread pans and place in the very hot water pan with space
between each pan. I bake 2 loaves at a time bake till knife in
center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes, depending upon
the oven. When done, cool and remove from pans. Be sure bread
is cold before you wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. You can
freeze loaves.

                     HARD SAUCE

1&1/2 sticks of I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER
3 cups powdered sugar
BRANDY enough till it tastes great

Whip margarine till fluffy. Add sugar, a cup at a time. Whip.
Add brandy to taste {if you don't like the real thing you can
get a brandy extract}. This will store in fridge in a sealed
container for several weeks {if it lasts that long... I like
to spread it on vanilla wafers or graham crackers}.

To serve: slice as thick as you want, place on plate, spread
as much hard sauce as you want, and nuke till sauce melts on
the bread.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Brenda asks:

   I am looking for a recipe for the potato soup that is served
   at TGIFriday's. Do you have it, or do you know anyone who does
   have it???? Thanks.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Potato_Soup ">
Send TGIF potato soup recipe for Brenda</A>

Reader Linda writes in:

   Would you please include a thank you to Gary, FdeFrog and Lori
   for their responses to my inquiry about places to take dogs.
   If any of your subscribers are in the central PA area, here's
   a link to a great dog park -
   http://www.petresource.com/rpc/rpc_home.htm

   Thank you.

Reader WF shares (for Willard):

   Pickled Eggs: Put your boiled eggs in a jar of pickle juice,
   reseal and leave for a day or two. It is that simple.

Reader M asks:

   I am looking for a relish recipe. I was given a jar of pimento
   relish or chow chow, and it was absolutely the best. The hand
   written label said serve with beans, but I poured it over a bar
   of cream cheese and ate it with crackers. It was very good. I
   could taste maybe a little hot pepper and onions and celery
   seeds and lots of home grown pimientos. If you or anyone on
   the list can help me out, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Relish ">
Send relish recipe for M </A>

Reader Bobbi shares (for Sally):

   Pepper Steak Soup: Sally, check out this web site
   http://www.topsecretrecipes.com

   I got a recipe from there that is served at Applebees and
   they have a lot of restaurant recipes. If it's not listed,
   you might email them and ask if they can get the recipe for
   you. Good Luck ':-)

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.