Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 305  Cat Adams
 Jun 23, 2002 18:03 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 305
June 23, 2002

We hope that all of you fathers had a wonderful and
special Father's Day last Sunday! You deserve it.

HAPPY SUMMERTIME!!!!

Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Egg Roll Quiche
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles Recipe: Happy Meal?
. Recipe: Egg Bread
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Dan's Famous Red Snapper
. Recommended Web Sites
. Recipe: Tabbouleh (salad)
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Brownies
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

                 EDITOR'S NOTE:

I just found out about this wonderful and worthy project.
Please check it out, and support it if you can. Thanks.

            Plant A Row for The Hungry.
Through PAR over 3 million pounds of food have been donated
by home gardeners to feed the hungry. Take one row of food
in your garden to a foodbank, church, etc. Or even take a dozen
tomatoes or apples, a bag of beans or a few ears of corn. Every
bit helps. Small donations add up to nutritious meals for senior
citizens, the 35 million children in America who go to sleep
hungry every night and the homeless. For help, contact Jacqueline
Heriteau, 860.824.0794 or the GWAA/PAR toll-free, 877.gwaa.par;
e-mail: pa-@gwaa.org

Thanks for your help! Cat

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Egg Roll Quiche

Reader JudyR (from Florida) shares:

                 EGG ROLL QUICHE

12 egg roll wrappers
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
salt and pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
6 slices bacon, cooked, drained & crumbled
2 Tablespoons dried parsley
paprika

Lightly grease muffin tins. Gently press an egg roll skin
into each muffin cup. You may want to trim the skin to fit
the cup. Set aside.

Sprinkle cheese into each lined cup. Mix eggs, milk, minced
onion & pepper. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Sprinkle each
with bacon, parsley & paprika. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15
minutes.

VARIATION: For smaller quiches use wonton skins & smaller
muffin tins. Bake at 325 for 7-10 minutes. Can also be served
as an appetizer.

DO AHEAD TIP: Baked quiche may be refrigerated for 24 hours
or frozen. To freeze, place cooled quiches on a cookie sheet.
Place in the freezer & freeze until firm. Place quiche in
freezer containers & seal. To serve, heat frozen quiche
uncovered at 325 for 10 minutes or heat at low power in a
microwave oven for 3-5 minutes.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

A Humor Magazine for Grown-ups! Delightful Surprises and
Deliciously Naughty Jokes, Poetry, Links, Current Events &
Political Commentary. You'll Laugh! You'll Think! Join Today!
**NOTE: This is an ADULT e-zine but we're never X-rated.**

Email: northcoast-@paulsfunhouse.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Craft shares:

   Ever have a few melted crayons in and on the cloth
   seats of your car?? It was a very hot day... a couple
   of my sonsí crayons melted right on the back seat of
   our car... then got hard again... what a mess.

   To get it out, I heated up my iron. When it was hot, I
   unplugged it, went outside with a bunch of paper towels
   in hand, laid the towels (couple sheets of thickness at
   a time) over the hardened wax, and then ironed over the
   towels.

   It melted the wax right into the paper towels. Repeat
   until there is no more wax on the seat!! It works great!!!

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

         ******** JUST JEANNE ********
Love to cook? Love to can and preserve? Love your pets?
Have a veggie and herb garden? Love a good clean chuckle?
Need good household hints? Then come join us for good clean
fun with your friends at "JUST JEANNE"

To get your FREE subscription:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES RECIPE: Happy Meal

OK... this isnít a recipe, but it made me laugh!

Eric shares:

In church one Sunday, Communion was being celebrated and
during the "children's sermon," the minister was talking
about Communion and what it is all about.

"The Bible talks of Holy Communion being a 'joyful feast'.
What does that mean? Well, 'joyful' means happy, right?
And a feast is a meal. So a 'joyful feast' is a happy meal.
And what are the three things we need for a happy meal?"

One of the children answered, "Hamburger, fries, and a regular
soft drink?"
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Camping in the Wild?
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/076.html

Beer Cooler?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny675.html

Tossed Salad (real down-home gardening and cooking!)
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-104&R=1-9-1

Ultimate Computer Workstation
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/079.html

Don't Move!
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny676.html

Magic Acts Talent Agency
http://hee-hee.com//i.php?P=1-1-105&R=1-9-1

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Egg Bread

Reader Lois (from Ohio) shares:

This I make all the time and is wonderful.

                   EGG BREAD

2/3 cup of warm water
2 Tbsp. soft butter
2 eggs
3 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar (can use up to 2 Tbsp. for a sweeter taste)
1-1/2 tsp. active dry yeast

Makes 1-1.2 pound loaf

Put ingredients into bread machine as they are listed, or
as machine manual says.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

               MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place
for you. Join your friends.
Go to:

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Kathy shares:

I have a dog that loves to herd little animals. She is a
collie and the herding instinct must be very strong in them
because we never taught her to do it. Rascal used to herd
our baby cows until they got big (1000 pounds) and chased
her across the pasture wanting to play. After that Rascal
started herding our ducks and geese.

We built a pond in the yard and she tries to get them all in
the pond at once. You should see Rascal try to keep them in
there. She runs around and around the pond barking at them.
If they get away, she goes after them. It's a losing battle,
but Rascal loves it.

She also has a rooster named Roscoe that plays with her.
Rascal barks at him until he attacks her. He jumps at her and
she snaps at him. Some days they will do this for hours.
Sometimes Roscoe will go looking for her. I wish we had a
video camera to film the Rascal and Roscoe show!

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Dan's Famous Red Snapper

Reader JudyR shares:

              DANíS FAMOUS RED SNAPPER

1 1/4 pounds of red snapper fillets
2 cans tomato sauce, Spanish style
1 Tbsp. onion, minced
1 Tbsp. parsley, minced.
Dash of cayenne pepper

Place fillets in an oiled baking dish. Put in a preheated
300į oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until done. In
a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, onion, parsley and cayenne
pepper and simmer while the fish is cooking. When fish is
done, pour the sauce over the fillets. Serves about five or
so - depending on how much you like to eat snapper. It's
great!!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Ruth recommends:

   Bolthouse Farms and their website is very well done and
   their carrots are excellent. Check them out; you will
   enjoy their beautiful web page. They also have a fun page
   for Kids.

   http://www.bolthouse.com/

Reader Myrna shares:

   I have tons of cooking websites but this is by far my
   favorite...

   http://www.recipezaar.com/

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Tabbouleh (salad)

Reader Jim shares:

                   TABBOULEH

This is a favorite middle eastern salad that's easy to
make and always a hit. Makes a great side dish at a
picnic or barbecue.

1 14-oz. can chicken broth
8 oz. CousCous
2 seeded and diced tomatos
1 peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. cider or Balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. mixed Italian herbs
(Can sub. 1/2 cup Italian dressing for above 3 items)

Bring chicken broth to boil and stir in CousCous. Cover, remove
from heat and set aside for five minutes. Fluff with a fork,
let cool and combine with other ingredients, adding dressing last.

http://www.geocities.com/jimforetales/
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Movie plots. How well do you know the plot to any movie?
Subscribe to the FREE newsletter namethatmovie and see
if you can guess the film by the plot. Simply send an
email, with subscribe in the BODY of the message,
to mailto:nametha-@wimmera.com.au Archives are
at http://www.namethatmovie.net

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Dianne shares:

      PARENT'S GLOSSARY OF KIDS KITCHEN TERMS

APPETIZING: Anything advertised on TV.

BOIL: The point a parent reaches upon hearing the automatic
"Yuck" before a food is even tasted.

CASSEROLE: Combination of favorite foods that go uneaten
because they are mixed together.

CHAIR: Spot left vacant by mid-meal bathroom visit.

FLOOR: Place for all food not found on lap or chair.

FORK: Eating utensil made obsolete by discovery of fingers.

FRIED FOODS: Gourmet cooking

FROZEN: Condition of children's jaws when spinach is served.

FRUIT: A natural sweet not to be confused with dessert.

GERMS: The only thing kids will share freely.

KITCHEN: The only room not used when eating crumbly snacks.

LEFTOVERS: Commonly described as "gross."

LIVER: A food that affects genes, creating a hereditary dislike.

LOLLIPOP: A snack provided by people who don't have to pay
dental bills.

MACARONI: Material for a collage.

MEASURING CUP: A kitchen utensil that is stored in the sandbox.

METRIC: A system of measurement that will be accepted only after
forty years wandering in the desert.

NAPKIN: Any warm cloth object, such as shirt or pants.

NATURAL FOOD: Food eaten with unwashed hands.

NUTRITION: Secret war waged by parents using direct commands,
camouflage, and constant guard duty.

PLATE: A breakable Frisbee.

REFRIGERATOR: A very expensive and inefficient room air
conditioner when not being used as an art gallery.

SALIVA: A medium for blowing bubbles.

SODA POP: Shake'N Spray.

TABLE: A place for storing gum.

TABLE LEG: Percussion instrument

THIRSTY: How your child feels after you've said your final
"good night."

VEGETABLE: A basic food known to satisfy kid's hunger --
but only by sight.

WATER: The cola of underdeveloped countries.

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

JOIN US and once a week you'll receive 3 or 4 recipes for
people who love to cook, 1 recipe for people who don't and
one healthy recipe -- all from my 40+ years-in-the-making
collection and treasures handed down from family & friends.

Email: DiningCar--@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Brownies

Reader Susan shares:

                     BROWNIES

Yield: 16 servings

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan
with non-stick cooking spray.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, espresso
powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a heavy, medium saucepan, combine the bittersweet chocolate
and the oil; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until
the chocolate is completely melted, about 2 minutes. Remove
from heat.

Stir in the applesauce, sugars, corn syrup, and vanilla; beat
until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the egg whites and continue
beating until the sugar is dissolved, 1 minute more. Add the
reserved flour mixture and stir gently until smooth, about
2 minutes.

Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick
inserted into the center comes out nearly clean, with a few
fudgy crumbs, about 15-20 minutes. Cool completely on a rack
before cutting.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 92, Total Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg,
Sodium: 67 mg, Carbohydrate: 16 g, Protein: 2 g
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat 2 pts
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Poetic sends in a requested bread pudding recipe:

   My recipe is not exact so I hope it helps. I don't soak
   the bread. I make a custard mixture, then put the bread
   in the bottom of the pan, pour in 3/4 of the mixture over
   the bread, put in another layer of bread and pour the
   remaining 1/4 of the mixture over that.

   I bake it like I would a custard in a pan and in a pan of
   water. When it is done, the top will be slightly crusty
   and golden. You can flavor it with anything you want:
   vanilla, bananas, anything. Hope this helps.

Reader Jo asks:

   I am looking for a candy recipe. We call them coconut bonbons.
   Each piece is full of coconut and covered with chocolate.
   Appreciate all responses. Thank you.

Can any of you readers help Jo? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Coconut_Bonbons
">
Send coconut bonbon recipe for Jo </A>

Reader Darienne writes in:

   Hi this is Darienne from Australia! I am hoping you can tell
   me what "frozen whipped topping" is because we don't have any
   such animal here !!

   Can you just give me an idea of what it is made of so I can
   maybe make a substitute? Thanks, love your newsletter !

Darienne, frozen whipped topping is basically a substitute for
whipped cream. I would think that whipped cream or any substitute
available in Australia would work for you. Iím glad to hear that
you enjoy your Volunteer Vittles issues. Thatís always nice to
hear!

Reader Patricia asks:

   I am looking for any recipes to server at a luau. Please
   can you help me? Thank you.

Any suggestions for Patricia? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Luau ">
Send luau recipes for Patricia </A>

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright © 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.