Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 307  Cat Adams
 Oct 26, 2002 14:21 PDT
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 307
October 26, 2002

It's been a while since we published. Not to worry...
your subscription is fine. My mom says that I should
tell you why. A girl's got to listen to her mom, right?
My team at work won two nation-wide awards, and I got
VERY busy writing speeches, generating presentation
material, flyers, and setting up exhibition displays.

In the meantime, we're way behind on our Vittles
e-mail. Don't worry... we have your questions and
wonderful suggestions... and will be passing them along
to your friends at Volunteer Vittles in our next few issues.

Thank you all for your patience and your wonderful
ideas and kind words. Volunteer Vittles readers are
THE BEST!

Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Bourbon Chicken
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles
. Recipe: Crockpot Broccoli Soup
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
. Recommended Web Sites
. Recipe: Cheddar Bacon Treat
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Coconut Bonbons
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CREATE THE TASTIEST cookies, pies, candies, and cakes
for your family and holiday guests! WATKINS offers white
vanilla, as well as, our regular double-strength vanilla
and difficult to find flavorings.

TAKE OUR CINNAMON TASTE TEST. For a free sample of
cinnamon and a printed catalog email me:
mailto eleisia-@watkinsonline.com
Order: http://www.watkinsonline.com/eleisiawhitney

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Bourbon Chicken

Reader Lois shares (for Carol):

               BOURBON CHICKEN

4 small skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
1 large clove garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. chicken broth
2 Tbsp. bourbon whiskey
Salt and pepper, to taste

Melt butter with olive oil in a heavy skillet. Sauté garlic
and onion until onion is transparent. Remove garlic and
onion from skillet with slotted spoon.

Brown chicken breast halves on both sides. Return garlic
and onion to skillet, add chicken broth and bourbon. Cover
and cook over very low heat until chicken is tender and done,
about 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes 2 to 4 servings, depending upon appetites.

Note: The bourbon imparts a very slight sweetness that
combines wonderfully with the garlic and onion. The sauce
goes very nicely with rice.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Ron asks:

   I please need the recipe for the roach bait balls.
   I went garage saling and brought home some unwanted
   visitors. I know it has boric acid but that is all
   that I remember.

Can any of you readers help Ron? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Roach ">
Send roach bait info for Ron </A>

Reader Norma suggests:

   Before you sharpen your lip liner pencils and eye
   liner pencils, put them in the freezer for 30 minutes
   or more. They will never break off in the pencil
   sharpener.

Reader Sally Jo shares:

   Hair spray will remove all kinds of glue from your
   hands. Just spray and wash with a wet cloth. It will
   also stop runners in hosiery without leaving an ugly
   spot. Additionally, spraying wasps and other insects
   with hair spray will kill them. Supposedly it makes
   them too stiff to fly.

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES

Reader Hope's suggestion for eating habits:

Our kids have long ago left home - strange, as I'm still
only 29 - but I digress - and I'd forgotten all about
something I'd done in the way distant past to make them
eat their vegetables and other disgusting things adults
put on the table and insist is 'real food'.

Only last week we had the first family reunion in many
years. We've only the three children, but they've lived
far apart, and also so far from us, that we haven't been
able to all be in the same place at the same time for
many years. But now, there we were. And I noticed
something funny as we sat down to dinner one night.

One of the boys put some cottage cheese on his plate -
just a small amount - and gobbled it up in a tearing hurry.
He saw me watching him and laughed. "Still doing it, mom".
His brother and sister smiled and admitted they also did
the same thing.

This is what it was: When they were very small, I came up
with a way to make them eat anything and everything that
was put on the table, no matter what they thought of it.
There were no tears, no recriminations, all our meal times
went smoothly.

I explained that their bodies needed what I was serving
them, that as a mom, I knew what they had to eat to grow
big and strong, but at the same time I understood that
some things had a disgusting taste [like feta cheese and
squash and even corn, in one case].

So I made a deal with them. I would respect their wishes
about what they didn't like, but there was still this
little thing about healthy food, and therefore they still
had to eat it - but all they had to eat was one teeny, tiny
little teaspoonful - and the best way to get it over with -
was to eat it first - and eat it fast - and then get on to
the good things to get rid of the taste.

It worked so well that over time they each developed tastes
for many things young people never do take to - and to this
day, as I saw - if there's anything they don't like, they
still take some - and eat it first - and eat it fast - and
get on to the good stuff.

Just thought this might give some ideas to a mother or two
out there who's at her wit's end at mealtimes.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Cowpoke Dogie?
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/086.html

Oops! Goldfish Stew?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny682.html

Karate Kats
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/088.html

"Three Little Pigs" In a Nutshell?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny683.html

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Crockpot Broccoli Soup

Reader Jean shares:

            CROCKPOT BROCCOLI SOUP

4 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups diced potatoes
1 bag frozen, chopped broccoli
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed

Mix water, bouillon cubes, onions, potatoes and broccoli
in a crock pot. Cook on high until broccoli is thawed.
Add cream of chicken soup and cheese to mixture. Turn
crockpot on low and cook for 2 hours.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Nancy shares:

My pet story is an "It Was Meant To Be" situation. My
sons and I own a gift/craft shop in Kentucky. We constantly
find abandoned animals and, since we cannot stand to see
them go hungry, we end up feeding them and trying to find
homes for them.

In November of 1999 I went to work one morning and found
a small puppy under the shop porch. It looked like a mix
of a Blue Heeler and a Beagle and was very frightened. It
took almost a week of coaxing before she would come to me
and even then she would flinch when I put my hand toward
her.

My son kept telling me I should take her home, that she
would make a great house dog. I insisted that I did not
need another house animal, I already had 2 Siamese cats,
and I was never really a "dog person".

After about 3 weeks my son called me at home one day and
told me he was bringing the puppy home. When I asked him
why, he told me what had happened. He had been standing on
the shop porch and saw the puppy run towards the road.
Before he could get to her, she was hit by a Lincoln Town
Car pulling a trailer.

He said she was bounced all over the road and he felt sure,
if she was not dead, she had been badly injured internally.
He had to go back into the shop to answer the phone, then
went outside and looked for her. He finally found her laying
at the side of the shop, so he decided that since she didn't
seem to be suffering he would sit with her till she passed
away. After about a half hour she got up and started walking
around.

He brought her home and the next day I took her to the vet.
He said the only reason he could give for her surviving was
her young age and none of the tires ran over her. Of course
I adopted her and she is now the joy of my life. I named her
Little One (she is the smallest of the family dogs) and she
goes everywhere with me. She spends most evenings in my lap
and sleeps on the bottom of my bed every night. As my son
says, it was meant to be.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Wives of Excellence Newsletter. Mouth-watering recipes,
Practical organizational suggestions, helpful housekeeping
hints, fun craft instructions, exciting entertaining ideas,
boredom-busting family activities, spirit-lifting devotionals,
smart money advice, heart warming poems and quotes, and much more!
To subscribe for free send a blank email to
wivesofexcelle-@yahoogroups.com or go to
http://www.wivesofexcellence.freeservers.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding

Reader Jerome shares (for MsEllie):

       SAVOURY BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING

6 oz. cornmeal
4 oz. plain flour
6 fluid oz. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chopped red chili
2 Tbsp. scallions, chopped

Place cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt,
chili and scallions in a bowl.

Whisk eggs and buttermilk together and add to above
ingredients.

Mix together and pour into a greased loaf tin.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 400F, or until a skewer
comes out clean. Cool.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Tammy shares (for Patricia):

   When we put on a luau at work, I used these websites to
   help find recipes and information:

http://entertaining.about.com/library/weekly/aa032601b.htm?once=true&
http://www.1stluau.com/

   It worked out really well!!

Reader Catie suggests (for Patricia):

   Although I've never been to a Luau or held one, I was
   researching the cuisine of Hawaii recently after a
   couple getting married in Hawaii asked me to cater
   their wedding reception. Try these websites:

www.mauicc.hawaii.edu
www.hawaii.edu/recipes

   They include a wide variety of recipes, including how
   to have your own Luau, with or without the pit roasted
   whole pig!

Reader IronWoman writes (for Patricia):

   This site will tell Patricia everything she needs to
   find for a great Luau!!

http://www.alohafriends.com/luau.html

Reader Lois shares (for Patricia):

   There are a lot of complete recipes at this web site...
   (a whole menu)!

http://www.themepartiesnmore.com/generic54.html

   Have fun!

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Cheddar Bacon Treat

Reader JudyR shares:

              CHEDDAR BACON TREAT

4 oz. (1 cup) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 dash pepper
2 Tbsp. dairy sour cream
3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
4 slices bread, buttered
Lettuce
1 tomato, sliced

Beat the cheddar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce,
paprika, garlic powder, and pepper until fluffy. Blend
in the sour cream. Add the crumbled bacon. Spread 2 Tbsp.
of the mixture on each slice of bread. Arrange lettuce
and tomato on two of the bread slices and top with the
remaining two bread slices. Serves 2.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Jean shares:

   "Non-Martha 30-Minute Guide to a Clean House"

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the first session of
Housekeeping Tips for Regular People. If you're a Martha
Stewart type of housekeeper, this is NOT for you. However,
for the rest of you, this is your chance to learn 15 Secret
Shortcuts to Good Housekeeping that your mother never told you.

SECRET TIP 1: DOOR LOCKS
If a room clearly can't be whipped into shape in 30 days,
much less 30 minutes, employ the Locked Door Method of
cleaning. Tell anyone who tries to go in the room that you
accidentally locked the door and can't find the key. Of
course, the locksmith can't possibly come until tomorrow.
CAUTION: It is not advisable to use this tip for the bathroom.
Time: 2 seconds

SECRET TIP 2: DUCT TAPE
No home should be without an ample supply. Not only is it
handy for plumbing repairs, but it's a great way to hem drapes,
tablecloths, clothes, just about anything. No muss, no fuss.
Time: 2-3 minutes

SECRET TIP 3: OVENS
If you think ovens are just for baking, think again. Ovens
represent at least 9 cubic feet of hidden storage space, which
means they're a great place to shove dirty dishes, dirty
clothes, or just about anything you want to get out of sight
when company's coming.
Time: 2 minutes

SECRET TIP 4: CLOTHES DRYERS
Like Secret Tip 3, except bigger. CAUTION: Avoid hiding
flammable objects here.
Time: 2.5 minutes

SECRET TIP 5: WASHING MACHINES & FREEZERS
Like Secret Tip 4, except even bigger.
Time: 3 minutes

SECRET TIP 6: DUST RUFFLES
No bed should be without one. Devotees of Martha Stewart believe
dust ruffles exist to keep dust out from under a bed or to help
coordinate the colorful look of a bedroom. The rest of us know
a dust ruffle's highest and best use is to hide whatever you've
managed to shove under the bed. (Refer to Secret Tips 3, 4, 5.)
Time: 4 minutes

SECRET TIP 7: DUSTING
The 30-Minutes-To-A-Clean-House method says: Never dust under
what you can dust around.
Time: 3 minutes

SECRET TIP 8: DISHES
Don't use them. Use plastic and you won't have to wash them.
Time: 1 minute

SECRET TIP 9: CLOTHES WASHING
This secret tip is brought to you by an inventive teenager. When
this teen's mother went on a housekeeping strike for a month,
the teen discovered you can extend the life of your underwear
by two... if you turn it wrong side out and, yes, rerun it.
CAUTION: This tip is recommended only for teens and those who
don't care if they get in a car wreck.
Time: 3 seconds

SECRET TIP 10: IRONING
If an article of clothing doesn't require a full press and your
hair does, a curling iron is the answer. In between curling
your hair, use the hot wand to iron minor wrinkles out of your
clothes. Yes, it really does work, or so I'm told, by other
disciples of the 30-Minutes-To-A-Clean-House philosophy.
Time: 5 minutes (including curling your hair)

SECRET TIP 11: VACUUMING
Stick to the middle of the room, which is the only place people
look. Don't bother vacuuming under furniture. It takes way too
long and no one looks there anyway.
Time: 5 minutes, entire house; 2 minutes, living room only

SECRET TIP 12: LIGHTING
The key here is low, low, and lower. It's not only romantic,
but bad lighting can hide a multitude of dirt.
Time: 10 seconds

SECRET TIP 13: BED MAKING
Get an old-fashioned waterbed. No one can tell if those things
are made up or not, saving you, oh, hundreds of seconds over
the course of a lifetime.
Time: 0

SECRET TIP 14: SHOWERS, TOILETS, AND SINKS
Forget one and two. Concentrate on three.
Time: 1 minute

SECRET TIP 15:
If you already knew at least 10 of these tips, don't even think
about inviting a Martha Stewart type to your home.

Author Unknown

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Coconut Bonbons

Reader Anne shares:

                COCONUT BONBONS

These are really filled chocolates but one filling is
coconut.

1 2-lb. bag powdered sugar
1 lb. butter (no substitutes)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 lbs. dipping chocolate

Mix powdered sugar, milk and butter very gross but with
your hands until creamy and smooth. Divide into five parts
and add flavorings (not extracts as the alcohol will mess
with the filling)

Suggested flavors for each portion:
1 small bag coconut and 1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. of any flavoring or flavored oil
1 small bag walnuts and 1 tsp. maple flavoring
or maraschino cherries (dry each one and wrap with the filling)

Roll into small balls and freeze for several hours.

Melt chocolate and dip centers and place on waxed paper.
Allow to set for a half hour although the maraschino cherry
centers are better if they sit for 24 hours.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader PNina asks:

   I'm looking for some eggplant recipes. Can you help?

Can any of you readers help PNina? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Eggplant ">
Send eggplant recipes for PNina </A>

Reader Georgia writes in:

   I was wondering if you could help me. I am looking for
   a recipe for Half Sour Pickles. I haven't been able to
   find a recipe anywhere. If you could help, I would very
   much appreciate it. Thanks.

Any suggestions for Georgia? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pickle ">
Send Half Sour Pickles recipe for Georgia </A>

Reader Linda inquires:

   My son is seeing a gal who has two children to
   her first husband. I'm anticipating wedding bells.
   My question is - what will the children's official
   relationship be to me and my husband? Perhaps
   step-grandchildren? Also, what would be an appropriate
   name for them to call us?

   Right now they're using "Mr. and Mrs." and that's
   just a bit formal. The children's biological Dad is
   adamant about them not calling my son anything but
   his given name - so need to come up with something
   politically correct, as they say.

   Thank you for any help!

Any ideas for Linda? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Step_Names ">
Send suggestions for Linda </A>

Reader Jeanne shares:

   I absolutely loved Ruth's darling little poem about
   the clothes hung out on the clothesline. And, believe
   it or not, even though like everyone else we have a
   clothes drier down in the laundry room, as soon as
   the first warm days of Spring arrive, I immediately
   begin hanging things out on one lone clothesline in
   the backyard!

   There is NOTHING like the fragrance of crawling into
   bed and pulling those sheets that have been dried out
   in the warm sunshine up around you! All the fabric
   softener companies and laundry detergent companies
   have tried to duplicate that wonderful aroma, but no
   one has succeeded yet in my humble opinion.

   The funniest recollection I have of a clothesline is
   years ago when I was growing up in northernmost Minnesota.
   Even though it was the dead of winter, Mom would still
   hang all dad's long underwear, with the "trapdoor" in the
   back, out on the clothesline. When she brought them back
   in the house, they were stiff as a board from those below
   zero Minnesota winter days, and you could stand them all
   up in the corner! Once the heat in the house warmed them,
   they would gradually go limp and slide down the walls. :-)
   What fun memories!

   Ruth, thanks so much for the great ode; it made me remember
   some really happy times from years ago.

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright © 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.