Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 308  Cat Adams
 Nov 17, 2002 13:24 PST
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 308
November 17, 2002

The sun is shining here in Southern California today.
Itís amazing how a little sunshine can boost your
spirits after heavy rainfall. I have to admit, though,
that Iím a little envious of my friends who are
experiencing their first light snowfalls this year.
I hope that youíre all enjoying your weather today!

Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Texas Cornbread Dressing
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles: Raspberry Smoosh
. Recipe: Cooking Bratwurst
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Broccoli Slaw Salad
. Recommended Web Sites
. Recipe: Cherry Tomatoes with Cucumber Stuffing
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Crocked Beef
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Jokes, Poetry, Links, Weekly Recipe, Current Events, Political
Commentary, Columnists Joseph Walker & LL Gray ... in a
conservative magazine format suitable for all family members.

IMPECCABLY CLEAN for those of Impeccable Taste.
Email: Cascade_Expre-@yahoogroups.com

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Texas Cornbread Dressing

Reader JimF shares:

          TEXAS CORNBREAD DRESSING

Northerners (people living outside Texas) seem to think
that the bird should be stuffed with some sort of seasoned
bread but those of us from the Lone Star State know better.
We make dressing as a side dish to go with the bird, not
in it. Each cook has their own personal recipe or else
play it by ear so to speak but here's basically the way
it's done.

Start saving left-over cornbread several days before you
will be cooking the bird or else make a pan especially for
dressing three or four days ahead of time. If you are making
cornbread just for the dressing, add half a teaspoon of black
pepper, three or four crushed cloves of garlic and a teaspoon
of dry rubbed sage or flakes to the batter before you bake it.
A chopped Jalapeno or two are also added by some cooks as
their "secret ingredient" to kick it up a bit.

Crumble the bread after it cools and let set uncovered a day
or so to dry out. If you are using left-over cornbread, it
should be seasoned same as that which you make.

Put at least a half inch layer of chopped onion, chopped bell
pepper (red, green or both), diced carrot and celery in the
bottom of the pan you will use for roasting the bird. Toss
in four or five chopped garlic cloves, salt and pepper liberally.

Place the bird breast down on the vegetables and roast for half
of the cooking time. Turn it over and coat the skin with butter
for the other half. Baste with the juices as needed.

When the bird is done, remove from the pan and make the dressing
in the pan where you cooked the bird. Taste the drippings and
add salt if needed. Use a big spoon or spatula to loosen anything
stuck to the bottom of the pan. Beat a couple eggs with a can of
cream style corn and stir into the drippings. Add a tablespoon
of sage or Poultry Seasoning. By the way, oregano can be used
in place of the sage if you like.

Then mix in the crumbled cornbread until the dressing is 1/2 to
3/4 inch deep in the roasting pan to have the right amount for
the size of bird. Stir in a heaping tablespoon of BisQuick or
other baking mix (or flour with a teaspoon of baking powder).
The batter should be rather liquid and runny. Chicken broth or
water can be added if it's too thick.

Bake 30 to 45 minutes in a 375 oven until set and beginning to
brown on top. In case you'd like to see what things will be like
when it's your turn to cook the bird, go to my site below.

http://www.geocities.com/jimforetales/bird.htm
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Barbara asks:

   How do I control mildew in a beach front cabin?

Any suggestions for Barbara? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Mildew ">
Send mildew info for Barbara </A>

Reader Ron asked:

   I please need the recipe for the roach bait balls.
   I went garage saling and brought home some unwanted
   visitors. I know it has boric acid but that is all
   that I remember.

Thank you all for sending in your suggestions! Your
suggestions follow:

ROACH BALLS

1 cup borax
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. water

Make a paste of the ingredients and roll the paste into
little balls. Place 2 or 3 balls into a sandwich-size
plastic bag and leave the top open.

Place the bag anywhere you have a roach problem. The
roaches will eat the balls and carry them away. The bugs
die at home, out of sight. The borax clogs their breathing
passages. The onion scent draws them in.

Makes about 50 balls; about 10 applications.

CAUTION: Hide these bags carefully so that children and pets
can't get at them. [from Lois]

* * * * * * * *

Boric acid, sugar and Crisco [from Joan]

* * * * * * * *

Here is the recipe for Roach Killer

6 ounces boric acid powder
1/2 cup lard (not shortening)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar

MIX - Shape into balls. Place in cabinets, etc., but
out of the reach of children and pets. [from BD]

* * * * * * * *

Here's the roach ball recipe requested by Ron:

1/4 cup solid shortening or bacon drippings
1/8 cup sugar
8 oz. powdered boric acid
1/2 cup flour
1/2 small onion chopped (optional)
Water

Cream together the sugar and shortening. Mix the boric
acid, onion, and flour together and add to the sugar/
shortening mixture. Mix well, and add just enough water
to form a soft dough. Shape into small balls, and put
some into inexpensive sandwich bags (do not close). The
bags help keep it from drying out so quickly.

Place these bait bags throughout the house where "critters"
have been seen. It won't be long before your roach problem
is just a bad memory. Check the roach-bait balls regularly,
and when they dry and become hard, just replace them with a
fresh batch.

CAUTION: Keep out of reach of children and pets. [from JaiKai]

* * * * * * * *

This is for Ron. The recipe I always knew was just boric
acid and powdered sugar with a tiny bit of water to kind
of hold it together. You probably can't do this any more,
but we pressed it into soda bottle caps and slid them in
all the dark roach hiding places we could find. The killer,
as you probably know, is the boric acid. The sugar is an
attractant. Good luck. Be advised that this is not safe to
use where children can get at it. Dangerous.

I feel that we shouldn't share commercial products on this
site, but there is a paste which has been foolproof for me.
A paste which is even save if pets lick it, although will
burn the mouth and tongue. Comes in a tube. Squirt a small
circle in strategic places in your house. Roaches will be
gone for months. [from Kan]

* * * * * * * *

Use Combat! Found in every grocery store, itís the only
thing that gets rid of them. I live in NYC where roaches
are living in enormous groups! Thank goodness my building
is mostly roach free but every once in a while... one
little bugger makes it through. Combat is a great little
contraption that you lay out throughout your problem areas
& I swear, you'll never see a roach again. Just keep them
current by changing them every 3-6 months. In fact, they
are so good, I really haven't changed mine in about a year,
but I probably should, just in case! [from Anyta]

* * * * * * * *

Well first of all donít get the roach motels. Roaches love
them and always invite their friends so you end up with
more roaches. You can starve them by not having anything
edible in the house whatsoever, or get you a pair of night
vision goggles and see where they are coming from at night,
and then be ready with roach poison. It may take a few
nights of spraying with Raid or some other poison spray,
but you can do it. Once you know their paths, spray the
heck out of the paths and slowly they will disappear.

Also play Beatle music... roaches hate the Beatles. That
might help some. [from ElDorado]

* * * * * * * *

How do get rid of cockroaches? Easy. Put boric acid
everywhere you think they could be hiding at (be careful
that small children are not near it!). This will dry them
up completely. [from Norma]

* * * * * * * *

In reference to the cockroach problem... This recipe makes
quite a bit. You may want to cut it in half or so.

In a large bowl, mix 1 cup flour, 1 small chopped onion,
16 ounces of powdered boric acid, one fourth cup of
shortening or oil and enough water to make a stiff dough.
Shape into small balls the size of marbles. Place these
in places where you think roaches might hide. CAUTION:
DO NOT PLACE WHERE CHILDREN OR PETS MAY COME IN
CONTACT WITH THEM.

Another that is just about as effective and not as much
trouble is to mix 4 tablespoons of powdered boric acid
with 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 tablespoon of cocoa
and scatter it behind cookstove and in back of cabinets
where roaches hide. [from Ruby]

* * * * * * * *

I lived in NYC for 19 years. The first 6 I had them. I
started using Combat and they were thinning out and then
went away. I could finally sleep without a light on. It
was horrible. I also dumped pounds of boric acid behind
the sink, stove and refrigerator. Keep drains covered at
all times. I used to set off those bombs they sell and
they never worked. You might be getting them from a neighbor
or bringing them in in plastic bags. They will be around
forever. BUT they can be controlled. [from Bee]

* * * * * * * *

Sprinkle boric acid around, in your cupboards & around your
baseboards. [from Scuba]

* * * * * * * *

I found inadvertently that leaving out a used peanut-butter
jar will collect cockroaches. They cannot get out of the jar
because of the slippery sides. As a preventative, I toss roach
pellets into corners, behind the stove and refrigerator, and
in any other place you may think they are hanging out.

I have also accepted the fact that I will never get rid of
them all permanently. I have geckos living in odd areas of
the house that also eat baby cockroaches. I once had a monthly
spray man come in but all that did was kill the geckos!
[from Tillie]

* * * * * * * *

The way to get rid of cockroaches is to use boric acid.
You buy it at the drug store. Place it around under the
sink, stove, etc. The roaches crawl into it and take it
back to their nest. When they clean themselves, they ingest
the boric acid and they die.

You can also use a kitchen baster and blow it into the
cracks and crevices. This can be put in the backs of the
closets and storage areas to prevent roaches. [from Georgi]

* * * * * * * *

To get rid of any household bugs, use Boric Acid Powder.
Walmart has it as well as any home center. It works well
for the huge Palmetto bugs in Florida. I use it twice a
year and never see a live bug. Hope it works as well for
you. [from Glad]

* * * * * * * *

To get rid of cockroaches, put some vinegar (white or
cider) in a spray bottle and dilute it with a little water.
Spray around where roaches are seen before going to bed. It
will smell a little, but the roaches can't stand the vinegar
so they leave. Spray every night and see the difference...
no more bugs! [from Chickadee]

* * * * * * * *

I had roaches so bad that I even had a exterminator out
and he did not get rid of them. My daughter told me to try
Combat gel but I would not listen. I spent about 400.00
dollars because I did not want to spend 8.00 dollars for
the gel. I finally listened to her and bought 2 tubes and
I guarantee you I have not had a roach since and that was a
year and a half ago. It is well worth the money. [from Irvin]

* * * * * * * *

Mix equal amounts of boric acid and white flour, add just
enough confectioners sugar to attract the roaches. Add just
enough water to make a soft dough. Roll the dough into little
balls and place in muffin cups and place them in corners of
cupboards, behind furniture. Be sure to place them where pets
and children cannot reach. The roaches eat this and it causes
them to dehydrate then they die. It takes about two to three
weeks before you see results. Replace the boric acid balls
every month to ensure no reinfestation. [from Kris]

* * * * * * * *

Believe me... I have tried everything on the market...
EVERYTHING... in several different states and types of
houses. NOTHING worked... not even exterminators until...
roll the drums please!!... I discovered the new product
put out by Combat called Combat Plus Roach Killing GEL...
and THAT is the key!! The gel is put down in various places
throughout the house and/or trouble area. Very little is
needed. Within 1 week and now, even 7 weeks later... there
are NO roaches at all... none. And ANY bug that comes near
the stuff (even a fly that comes close to it or ants) will
die. I guarantee you, it is by far the best thing on the
market and under $6.00 in most places. If you can't find
it in WalMart...ASK!! Good luck. [from Bree]

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES: Raspberry Smoosh

Reader GrannyB shares:

               RASPBERRY SMOOSH

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen raspberries
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 pt. Cool Whip

Mix raspberries, sugar, and egg whites together in large
bowl and beat for 5 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip and freeze.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Aptly Named Vehicle
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/091.html

Stock Trading?
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny684.html

Court of Appeals
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320915

El Toro-toise?
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/092.html

Overworked Mouse
http://www.aikenslaughs.com/forfun/funny685.html

A Bug's Life
http://dailymegajoke.com/toons.php?00320910

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Cooking Bratwurst

Reader JimF shares:

                BODACIOUS BRATS

It seems that no one knows how to cook a Bratwurst; they
either come out raw in the middle or as a burnt offering
that tastes and looks like a black cigar. Here's the
foolproof way to get Bodacious Brats.

Combine one beer with an equal amount of apple juice. Toss
in a dozen or so peppercorns or half a teaspoon of ground
black pepper and a few cloves of garlic. Add the brats and
bring to a simmer for about 30 minutes.

The brats will look pale and unappetizing but about five
minutes on the grill or in a 400 degree oven will give the
outside a nice brown color.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader Debbie shares:

         HOW TO PREPARE FOR A NEW PUPPY

. Pour cold apple juice on the carpet in several places
and walk around barefoot in the dark.

. Wear a sock to work that has had the toes shredded by
a blender.

. Immediately upon waking, stand outside in the rain and
dark saying, "Be a good puppy, go potty now - hurry up Ė
come on, lets go!"

. Cover all your best suits with dog hair. Dark suits must
use white hair, and light suits must use dark hair. Also
float some hair in your first cup of coffee in the morning.

. Play "catch" with a wet tennis ball.

. Run out in the snow in your bare feet to close the gate.

. Tip over a basket of clean laundry, scatter clothing all
over the floor.

. Leave your underwear on the living room floor, because
that's where the dog will drag it anyway (especially when
you have company).

. Jump out of your chair shortly before the end of your
favorite TV program and run to the door shouting, "No no!
Do that OUTSIDE!" Miss the end of the program.

. Put chocolate pudding on the carpet in the morning, and
don't try to clean it up until you return from work that
evening.

. Gouge the leg of the dinning room table several times
with a screwdriver - it's going to get chewed on anyway.

. Take a warm and cuddly blanket out of the dryer and
immediately wrap it around yourself. This is the feeling
you will get when your puppy falls asleep on your lap.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Broccoli Slaw Salad

Reader Sarah shares (for Peg):

Hi, I really enjoy the recipes, comments, etc. in your
newsletter and have copied and used a good many of the
recipes. Like Peg, I don't like to heat up my kitchen
in the summertime and will share a "no-cook" recipe that
I enjoy often. It's a hearty salad and so easy to make.

             BROCCOLI SLAW SALAD

1 pkg. broccoli Slaw (found in produce section and
   sometimes called "Rainbow Salad")
3 - 6 scallions, chopped
2/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
2 pkgs. Ramen's Chicken Soup

Crumble noodles and mix all in a large bowl, reserving
the two seasoning packs in the Ramen's Soup.

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive or canola oil
1/2 cup sugar (less, if desired)
2 seasoning packs from Ramen's soup

Mix these ingredients well until sugar dissolves. Pour
over slaw mixture. Mix well with wooden spoon. Cover
and refrigerate until served.

Thanks for your interesting and worthy newsletter.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader BB shares:

The reader who was looking for a restaurant soup might
want to check out this site. In many cases, these are
clones of recipes for dishes served in restaurants but
it may get close. This may also be helpful for others
looking for other restaurant recipes.
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.htm

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Cherry Tomatoes with Cucumber Stuffing

Reader JudyR (in Florida) shares:

    CHERRY TOMATOES WITH CUCUMBER STUFFING

12 cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
3/4 teaspoon dillweed
3/4 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Pinch of white pepper
Pinch of salt

Slice off top of cherry tomatoes and scoop out pulp (a
melon-baller works well). Combine cucumber with the
remaining ingredients. Mix well. Fill cherry tomatoes
with the cucumber mixture. Chill well before serving.

Time Saving Variation: Combine your favorite salad
dressing mix with softened cream cheese. Fill a pastry
bag fitted with a decorative tip with the cream cheese
mixture and pipe into hollowed-out cherry tomato.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Margaret shares:

        REFLECTIONS OF A PARENT

I gave you life, but cannot live it for you.

I can teach you things, but I cannot make you learn.

I can give you directions, but I cannot be there to
lead you.

I can allow you freedom, but I cannot account for it.

I can take you to church, but I cannot make you believe.

I can teach you right from wrong, but I cannot always
decide for you.

I can buy you beautiful clothes, but I cannot make you
beautiful inside.

I can offer you advice, but I cannot accept it for you.

I can give you love, but I cannot force it upon you.

I can teach you to share, but I cannot make you unselfish.

I can teach you respect, but I cannot force you to show
honor.

I can advise you about friends, but cannot choose them
for you.

I can advise you about sex, but I cannot keep you pure.

I can tell you the facts of life, but I can't build your
reputation.

I can tell you about drink, but I can't say "no" for you.

I can warn you about drugs but I can't prevent you from
using them.

I can tell you about lofty goals, but I can't achieve
them for you.

I can teach you about kindness, but I can't force you to
be gracious.

I can warn you about sins, but I cannot make you moral.

I can pray for you, but I cannot make you walk with God.

I can tell you how to live, but I cannot give you eternal
life.

I can love you with unconditional love all of my life...
and I will.

Author Unknown

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Crocked Beef

Reader Myron shares:

This is not for dieters! All that margarine plus sour cream!

                  CROCKED BEEF

2 pounds stewing beef cubes
1 box (2 envelopes) dried onion soup
1 stick margarine

Place meat in crockpot, then add dry soup mix, then add
1 stick of margarine. Cover and cook on LOW all day (up
to 9 hours or so) or HIGH for 4-5 hours.

Serve over noodles.

It makes its own sauce, no stirring, no extra liquids required.
There are THREE ingredients plus the noodles. No more. HONEST!

I love to top each dish with a dollop of sour cream too and
serve with a crusty bread.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Jim asks:

   I can find all sorts of recipes for using sausage
   but since it's been at least 60 years since I saw
   my dad making it, I've forgotten the seasonings he
   used. Anyone out there give me some help?

Can any of you readers help Jim? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Sausage ">
Send sausage info for Jim </A>

Reader Betty (from Arizona) writes in:

   I can't tell you how much I enjoy the Volunteer Vittles
   letters. Always something practical, interesting, and
   always just plain good. My husband and I are alone and
   most of the recipes are for families but with a little
   ingenuity many of them are adaptable to just 2 people
   (hoping you like leftovers of course) and being 70 and
   80 years old we don't eat as much as we used to but it
   doesn't mean we don't enjoy cooking and reading recipes.

   Thank you for the hours you and your readers furnish us.

Reader Linda (from Washington) requests:

   I was wondering if some one could send me a recipe for
   a rich creamy clam chowder? It will be my first attempt.
   I am a fairly good cook but have never made clam chowder
   before. Thank you.

Does anyone have a good recipe for Linda? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Clam_Chowder ">
Send clam chowder recipe for Linda </A>

Reader Kim shares:

   You have a recipe for Potato soup in this weeks ezine,
   and it contains Ham Base... What is ham base? Please
   excuse my ignorance, we probably just have a different
   name for it here in South Africa. Thanks.

Can any of you readers help Kim? Thanks!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Ham_Base ">
Send ham base info for Kim </A>

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright © 2002 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.