Welcome Guest!
 Vittles
Volunteer Vittles Vol. 311  Cat Adams
 Jul 05, 2003 19:45 PDT

Volunteer Vittles Vol. 311
July 5, 2003

I’m really thrilled to announce the arrival of my new grand-kitten:
Patrick Jameson Dolan Ahern. He’s an angel… and Mommy and Patrick
are doing well. Granny Cat is very proud! Congratulations to Mommy
Jamie and Daddy Keith!

I hope that all of our reader had a wonderful 4th of July holiday
and Canada Day (as appropriate). Please keep our military personnel
(and those of our allies) in your prayers today.

Have you voted for us today?
Please VOTE... you can vote once every day.
Vote for Volunteer Vittles </a>
Thanks!

Welcome to all of our new subscribers.
This is your e-zine, so please contribute.
Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, recipes,
or household tips are welcome.
We LOVE hearing from you!

Contents in this issue:
. Recipe: Lasagna Rolls Primavera with Mushrooms
. Hints from Helga
. Little Vittles
. Recipe: Georgia Date-Pecan Bread
. Pet Place
. Recipe: Microwave Fudge
. Recommended Web Sites
. Recipe: Sticky Chicken
. Humor/Inspirational
. Recipe: Bell Pepper Nachos
. Reader Comments and Requests

And now, on to today's Vittles...

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Lasagna Rolls Primavera with Mushrooms

Reader Rennie shares:

     LASAGNA ROLLS PRIMAVERA WITH MUSHROOMS

1 package no boil lasagna noodles
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. oregano
1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
pinch nutmeg
1 bag frozen chopped broccoli
2 shredded carrots
1/2 pound white mushrooms, chopped

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of hot water, soak
lasagna noodles for 15 minutes until softened. In second
bowl, stir together the tomatoes, basil, oregano. In third
bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, 2 cups of mozzarella
cheese, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, the egg
and nutmeg until well blended. Fold in broccoli, carrots and
mushrooms.

Spread 3/4 cup tomato mixture over the bottom of a 13x9x2 inch
baking dish. Remove noodles from water, blot dry with paper
towels. Using a spatula spread 1/3 cup of the cheese filling
over noodle, starting from the short end, gently roll up the
noodle to enclose filling. Place the roll, seam side down, in
the baking dish. Repeat.

Top rolls in baking dish with remaining tomato sauce mixture.
Sprinkle top with remaining cheeses. Cover dish with foil
coated with nonstick spray. Bake 35 minutes. Remove foil.
Bake 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before
serving. Makes 6 servings. 551 calories per serving.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hints From Helga:

Reader Elayne asked:

   Is there a way to soften cookies that are baked too hard?
   I baked some chocolate chip cookies that taste good, but
   they are not soft and chewy. What did I do wrong?? Thank you!

Reader Lois suggests:

   Nuking them a few seconds in the microwave will soften them.
   You could try putting them in a bag (plastic) overnight with
   a cut apple. That might soften them too.

Reader Mary responds:

   I put bread in the plastic bag with the cookies. This helped
   a little. Also, how much liquor should one use? one drop, two.
   I used anise oil in an Italian Easter bread and boy was it strong.
   House still stinks and it was only 2 drops.

Reader Jean recommends:

   You can put your cookies in a sealed container, Ziploc, or other
   and put an apple in with them. This will also software brown sugar
   that has hardened.

Reader Jenni replies:

   Store cookies in an airtight container long with a few slices
   fresh bread. The cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread
   and become soft.

Reader Marlene advises:

   Another way to soften brown sugar without wasting what you use.
   Put a fresh slice of bread in the bag. The bread will get hard
   but after a day or two in the brown sugar, it's softer & ready
   to use without losing any color to the sugar. The hard piece
   of bread then can be used in stuffing or meatloaf or break up
   as bread crumbs.

Reader Nan writes in:

   Keeping brown sugar soft, put in an air tight container, freezer
   safe, keep in refrigerator, or freezer. Never hard. No color loss.
   Been doing this for years.

   Also, no more tears, 1st always use Texas sweets, Vidalia or
   other sweet onions, and REFRIGERATE. I have forgotten what it
   means to get tears from onions.

Reader Marian writes in:

   I learned this from my mother: to soften brown, place a slice
   of white bread in with the sugar and the sugar will draw the
   moisture from the bread and soften the sugar like new. Better
   than the apple, as it won’t harm the sugar in any way.

Reader Debbie writes in:

   To reduce the amount of grease from your gravies or
   soups, put a leaf of lettuce in the pot at the end
   of cooking. It absorbs most of the grease. Take out
   and discard.

Do you have a tip for Helga? Or a question for Helga?
<A HREF=" mailto:helg-@hotmail.com?subject=Tip for Helga ">
Send your question or tip to Helga </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

LITTLE VITTLES

Zoom for Kids Recipes
http://pbskids.org/zoom/party/
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Kids ">
Send your favorite kids' recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

CUTE TOONS:

Kitty S’getti? Ouch!
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/255.html

Check out those lips!
http://www.familyhumor.com/toon/257.html

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Georgia Date-Pecan Bread

Reader Shirley shares:

         GEORGIA DATE-PECAN BREAD

1/2 cup dates, dried, finely chopped
1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 cup flour, all-purpose, sifted
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
1 cup pecans, chopped

Soak dates for 2 hours in water, then drain and dry on
paper toweling.

In a bowl, mix egg, sugar, and butter. Sift flour with
baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients
alternately with orange juice and water, beginning and
ending with dry ingredients. Stir in dates and pecans and
beat until well blended. Pour mixture into a greased 9x5x3"
loaf pan.

Bake in a preheated 350'F. oven for about 2 hours, or until
bread tests done in the center. Unmold and cool on a rack.
This keeps well and is excellent for a morning coffee party.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

PET PLACE

Reader DJ shares:

              MEAL MOBILE BIRD FEEDER

With twine, lash together 2 sturdy twigs to form an X. Wrap
two metal ties around each arm so ends curve up into a hook.
Coat dried apples in peanut butter, press into birdseed and
freeze. Run pieces of string, eight in all, through a wide
gauge needle thread cranberries and dried orange slices and
coated apples as desired. Hang from the metal hooks.

Do you have a favorite pet story or recipe (that's a recipe
to serve to your pet, not a recipe to cook your pet)?
We'd love to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Pet Story ">
Send your favorite pet story or recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Microwave Fudge

Reader Poetic shares:

                 MICROWAVE FUDGE

I made up a recipe for microwave fudge that I'd like to share.
I can't stand at the stove and get so impatient so here it is:

In a glass dish dump:
2 packages of milk chocolate chips
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 seven oz. container of marshmallow cream
1/2 cup butter (one stick)

Microwave on high for two minutes. Stir until well mixed and
pour into a greased pan. Refrigerate until set. Enjoy.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECOMMENDED WEB SITES

Reader Myron shares:

What a treasure-chest of low-carb recipes... hundreds of
pages of recipes!

http://www.hormoneprofile.com/locarb.htm

This'll keep you busy for a few months!

Do you have a favorite cooking, household tips, or
craft web site (maybe your own)?
Please share it...
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Site ">
Send your favorite web site to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Sticky Chicken

Reader JudyR (from Florida) shares:

This is what I fixed last night for dinner and is it ever
good. I added more garlic and only used 1/2 tsp. cayenne
pepper, that was hot enough. A keeper for sure. We had potato
logs, tossed salad and peas to go with it. Also a chocolate
cherry cake, which I didn't make, it was given to me.

                STICKY CHICKEN

1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 whole roasting chicken, about 3.5 pounds
1 cup chopped onion

Combine all spices in small bowl.

Rinse chicken, inside and out, and drain well. Rub spice
mixture over skin and the inside of chicken. Place in a
resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate over night.

When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions. Place chicken,
breast-side down, in roasting pan. Roast uncovered at 250º
for about 5 hours. Baste occasionally with pan juices or until
pan juices start to caramelize on bottom of pan and chicken is
golden brown.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

HUMOR/INSPIRATIONAL:

Reader Ella shares:

           MOTHERS' MAINTENANCE MANUAL

Many of us take better care of our cars then we do our mothers
and yet we only expect our cars to last 5 or 6 years but we
expect our mothers to last for a lifetime. Maybe we need a
maintenance manual for mothers so we would know how to take care
of them at least as well as we do our automobiles. Here are some
items that might be included in such a manual.

Engine: A mother's engine is one of the most dependable kinds
you can find. She can reach top speed from a prone position at
a single cry from a sleeping child. But regular breaks are needed
to keep up that peak performance. Mothers need a hot bath and a
nap every 100 miles, a baby-sitter and a night out every 1,000 miles,
and a live-in baby-sitter with a one week vacation every 10,000 miles.

Battery: Mother's batteries should be recharged regularly. Handmade
items, notes, unexpected hugs and kisses, and frequent "I love you's"
will do very well! for a recharge.

Carburetor: When a mother's carburetor floods it should be treated
immediately with Kleenex and a soft shoulder.

Brakes: See that she uses her brakes to slow down often and come to
a full stop occasionally. (A squeaking sound indicates a need for a
rest).

Fuel: Most mothers can run indefinitely on coffee, leftovers and
salads, but an occasional dinner for two at a nice restaurant will
really add to her efficiency.

Chassis: Mothers run best when their bodies are properly maintained.
Regular exercise should be encouraged and provided for as necessary.
A change in hairdo or makeup in spring and fall are also helpful. If
you notice the chassis begins to sag, immediately start a program of
walking, jogging, swimming, or bike riding. These are most effective
when done with fathers.

Tune-ups: Mother need regular tune-ups. Compliments are both the
cheapest and most effective way to keep a mother purring contentedly.

If these instructions are followed consistently, this fantastic
creation and gift from God, whom we call “MOTHER”, should last a
lifetime and give good service and constant love to those who need
her most.

(Author Unknown)

Do you have a favorite humor or inspirational story?
We'd LOVE to hear it!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Favorite Story ">
Send your story to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

RECIPE: Bell Pepper Nachos

Reader Myron shares:

                 BELL PEPPER NACHOS

1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1/2 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1/2 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into strips
3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese (3 oz.)
2 Tbsp. chopped olives
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 Jalapeño pepper, minced... if you dare!

Cut bell pepper strips crosswise in half. Arrange close
together in ungreased broiler-proof pie pan 9x11/4" or
glassproof oven ware. Sprinkle with cheese, olives and
crushed red pepper. Broil peppers with toppings 3 to 4
inches from heat for about 3 minutes or until cheese is
melted.

Note: In addition, browned ground beef can be sprinkled on,
if desired.
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Recipe ">
Send your favorite recipe to Cat </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

READER COMMENTS AND REQUESTS:

Thank you all for sending in your recipes, requests,
tips, and comments! We appreciate it.

Reader Doris asks:

   Does anyone have a recipe for Havelena pig? The little wild
   pigs found in East Texas? They sometimes have little tusks
   sticking out by the mouth.

HELP!

Reader Tonya writes in:

   What is cream of coconut? Where is it located in the store?
   Thanks.

Reader Poetic inquires:

   I have been looking for a good recipe for no-bake cookies
   using Karo syrup. Does anyone have this recipe? I used to,
   but can't find it now. Also, I was looking for a good recipe
   for microwave fudge. I finally made up my own. Does anyone
   have a good one?

Do you have a comment or question? We'd love to hear from you!
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteer-@hotmail.com?subject=Editor ">
Send comments to the editor! </A>

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ VOLUNTEER VITTLES ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

See you soon with the latest yummy and delectable
culinary treats and... more reader contributions,
suggestions, and questions... Thank you all!

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
<A HREF=" mailto:volunteervitt-@topica.com ">
Subscribe to Volunteer Vittles </A>

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your
email address and/or any other personal information
will not be published or released to any outside entity
under ANY circumstances without your permission.

Questions answered or comments given by Helga are for
entertainment purposes only. The publisher, Volunteer
Vittles, and respective staff will not be liable for any
or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result
from such.

Copyright © 2003 Cat Adams. All Rights Reserved.