Welcome Guest!
 WordOrigins
Take Our Word For It NOE No. 5  Melanie Crowley
 May 28, 2003 20:27 PDT

Take Our Word For It NOE No. 5
http://www.takeourword.com

For Mac users who have trouble with our regular homepage:
http://www.takeourword.com/indexmac.html

**Greetings**

This is another NOE week (no new TOWFI until next week). For you new
readers, NOE stands for "newsletter-only etymology". Only subscribers to
this newsletter get NOEs. They are not published on the web site and
are not available anywhere else - yet another reason to subscribe to
this newsletter!

We are a day late this week because Monday was a holiday in the U.S. We
hope everyone had a safe and pleasant Memorial Day.

**This Week's NOE**

Reminder: we are now publishing TOWFI bi-weekly, so every other week we
will send you a NOE to tide you over to the next issue of TOWFI. This
is a NOE week.

Isn't dwindle one of those great words that you can wrap your mouth
around (hmm, that conjures weird images, doesn't it?)? Not
surprisingly, it has very old roots. Remember when we spoke about
frequentatives a few issues back? Dwindle is one of them. Its simple
form was Middle English dwinen "to waste away", which derived from Old
English dwinan "to shrink". The ultimate source of these is the
Indo-European root *dheu- "to die", from which English also got "dead",
"death", and "die".

**Fundraiser**

We will start our fundraising contest in two weeks, so get ready! We
are still working out the details, but as we mentioned last week, a
generous reader is donating six wonderful gifts for the top donors.
Stay tuned!

**Laughing Stock**

We are STILL behind on Laughing Stock prizes. If your submission was
used in Laughing Stock but you haven't received your Amazon.com gift
certificate, drop us a line. We'll also be going through our records to
make sure we get caught up and don't miss anyone.

**Next Issue**

We'll be back next week with a new issue of TOWFI and a NOE.

Until next time,
Take Our Word For It!
Melanie and Mike

http://www.takeourword.com