Welcome Guest!
 WordOrigins
Take Our Word For It Issue 186  Melanie Crowley
 Jun 18, 2003 08:50 PDT

Take Our Word For It Issue 186
http://www.takeourword.com

For Mac users who have trouble with our regular homepage:
http://www.takeourword.com/indexmac.html

**Greetings**

[Topica was down last night.] It's TOWFI time! It's also fundraising
time. You could win a prize for your donation! See below for more
information

**This Week's Issue**

NOTE: The links in this newsletter are good for June 18-July 2 only
(unless the next issue is delayed).

In Spotlight, we present "Books"
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page1.html

In Words to the Wise, we bring you the following words/phrases:

the penny dropped
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#penny

grabble
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#grabble

thin as a rail
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#rail

take a gander
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#gander

quarter horse
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#quarter

In Curmudgeons' Corner Guestmudgeon Joseph Byrd fries his beans only
once
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page3.html

In Sez You... we hear about piggy banks, loo, beck and call, and we give
a new link.
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page4.html

In Laughing Stock see what the perfect computer/software can do for you:
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page5.html

**Newsletter-Only Etymology**

Just a quick one this week as the fundraiser is really taking up all of
our time: where does "dark horse" come from? This is a term referring
to someone about whom little is known, especially if he is running for
office. It comes from horse racing, when a dark horse was a horse whose
racing history was not known, the sense of "dark" here being "obscure"
or "hidden". Racehorse's histories are important in determining odds
and how to bet on them. The phrase "dark horse" used in the figurative
sense first turns up in the U.S. in 1888.

**Laughing Stock**

Please send us funny clippings or photos (text is fine, too) for use in
Laughing Stock and if we use yours, you'll get an Amazon.com gift
certificate for $10! John Archdeacon wins this week's gift certificate.
(We're catching up on getting winners' gift certificates e-mailed to
them, by the way.)

**Fundraiser**

Please go to http://www.takeourword.com/funrdraising.html to learn about
our fundraiser which starts this week: Thursday, June 19, at 9am Pacific
Daylight Time. Two generous benefactors, Entspire and McNeill-Lynner
Webworks, have offered gifts and services, respectively, to help us
raise funds to keep TOWFI going. Entspire has offered us six copies of
the word game Derivation. The first six donors to give $125 or more
will each win a copy of the game! If anyone is feeling especially
generous, the creator of Derivation, Brad Chase, has offered to sign a
copy of the game for a donation of $500. Visit the Entspire site to
learn more about Derivation: http://www.entspire.com/derivation/ . We
reviewed the game recently; you can find a link to the review in our
bookstore (where we also sell Derivation):
http://www.takeourword.com/bookStore.html.

McNeill-Lynner Webworks has offered a full day of their services, a $450
value, to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. McNeill-Lynner
Webworks is a full service web design /graphic design/ marketing
company, and the auction winner can choose to have MLW design a logo,
prepare a business packet (letterhead, envelopes, business cards) with
an existing logo or information, or update an existing web site. Visit
MLW's web site to learn more about them: http://www.mlwebworks.com .

Don't forget, check out our fundraising page at
http://www.takeourword.com/funrdraising.html to learn how you can get in
the running for a copy of Derivation or how you can bid for the
McNeill-Lynner Webworks service! Donations and bidding start on
Thursday, June 19th at 9am Pacific Daylight Time (hint: the clocks at
eBay (http://www.eBay.com) are set to Pacific Daylight Time).

**Curmudgeons' Corner**

Don't stop being curmudgeonly! Send in your complaints!

**Next Issue**

We'll be back next week with a NOE, and back the following week with a
new issue of TOWFI.

Until next time,
Take Our Word For It!
Melanie and Mike