Welcome Guest!
 WordOrigins
Take Our Word For It Issue 185  Melanie Crowley
 Jun 03, 2003 23:38 PDT

Take Our Word For It Issue 185
http://www.takeourword.com

For Mac users who have trouble with our regular homepage:
http://www.takeourword.com/indexmac.html

**Greetings**

It's another issue of TOWFI!

**This Week's Issue**

NOTE: The links in this newsletter are good for June 3-June 17 only
(unless the next issue is delayed).

In Spotlight, we present "Swell Words"
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page1.html

In Words to the Wise, we bring you the following words/phrases:

spider
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#spider

corny
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#corny

sham
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#sham

ceremony
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#ceremony

blond
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#blond

In Curmudgeons' Corner Guestmudgeon Carol McLeod doesn't like everyday
usage
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page3.html

In Sez You... we hear about bazooka, leeward and loo, the Jacuzzi
sisters, brouhaha, and new on nob.
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page4.html

In Laughing Stock read The Cowboy's Ten Commandments:
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page5.html

**Newsletter-Only Review**

We will have a review of the etymologically-based game "Derivation"
tomorrow in an addendum to this newsletter.

**Laughing Stock**

Please send us funny clippings or photos (text is fine, too) for use in
Laughing Stock and if we use yours, you'll get an Amazon.com gift
certificate for $10! Ray Adams wins this week's gift certificate. (We're
STILL catching up on getting winners' gift certificates e-mailed to
them, by the way.)

**Fundraiser**

Thank you to all who have made recent donations to TOWFI! We appreciate
your generosity very much! For those who have not donated, or who wish
to donate again (!), we will start our fundraiser next week. Several
readers have donated wonderful prizes for us to give as gifts to those
who donate in a certain "tier". We will give you all of the details and
the time frame next week.

**Curmudgeons' Corner**

Don't stop being curmudgeonly! Send in your complaints!

**Next Issue**

We'll be back next week with a NOE, and back the following week with a
new issue of TOWFI.

Until next time,
Take Our Word For It!
Melanie and Mike