Welcome Guest!
 WordOrigins
Take Our Word For It Issue 169  Melanie Crowley
 Sep 08, 2002 21:55 PDT
Take Our Word For It Issue 169
http://www.takeourword.com

For Mac users who have trouble with our regular homepage:
http://www.takeourword.com/indexmac.html

**Greetings**

Technical difficulties forced us to publish a few days late this week.
We are now looking for a new hard drive!

**This Week's Issue**

NOTE: The links in this newsletter are good for September 8-September
14 only (unless the next issue is delayed).

In Spotlight, we look at an unusual metal and related words
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page1.html

In Words to the Wise, we bring you the following words/phrases:

cloak and dagger
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#cloakanddagger

Brooklyn
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#brooklyn

land of nod
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#landofnod

slum
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#slum

née
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#nee

In Curmudgeons' Corner Guestmudgeon Chuck Gleason is suited to this
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page3.html

In Sez You... we hear about palindromes, Singapore, tact/tack,incenting,
more on Kleenices,plurals and pedantries,bad joke, bad *bhad-, a piper
joke, more disconcertion, weather joke, Aunty Curmudgeon.
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page4.html

In Laughing Stock we see how alcohol and politics mix
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page5.html

**Newsletter-Only Etymology (NOE)**

Where does the name Britain come from?

It comes from the original inhabitants of the British Isles, know to us
today as the Britons. The Greeks recorded the name in the 4th century
BC as "Prittanoi" and recorded its meaning as "tattooed people". The
Britons did paint and decorate their bodies; this was seen by the Romans
when they ruled Britain. However, the name that the Britons gave
themselves probably just meant "the people". The Romans called the
isles Britannia, and the country took the name Great Britain to
distinguish it from lesser Britain, Brittany. The term "Briton" (a
native of Britain) comes from the Brythonic people's name for
themselves (Brittones), while Britain comes from the Gaelic
interpretation of the name (Britanni, the version that the Romans took).

The Romans also first used the name Britannia to refer to the
personification of the isles, and they placed her image on coins.
Charles II revived her on his coinage, and the first woman after which
Charles' Britannia was modeled was Frances Stuart, a favorite of the
king.

**Laughing Stock**

We encourage you to send us funny photos, clippings or e-letters that
you run across, because if we use yours in Laughing Stock, you will win
a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com! This week's winner is Jack
Chastain, and his gift cetificate is on the way! (We're a bit behind in
gift certificates due to a computer glitch; we'll be getting them off
soon.)

We are still in need of laugh-inducing photos or clippings!

**Curmudgeons' Corner**

Keep that curmudgeonry coming!

**T-Shirts**

We haven't heard from anyone interested in having a Take Our Word For It
t-shirt, so unless we hear something this week, we will can that idea
and move on to something else.

**Next Week**

We should be back next week (computer and internet connectivity problems
notwithstanding!) with a new issue!

Until next time,
Take Our Word For It!
Melanie and Mike