Welcome Guest!
 World Issues
Former UN sec-gen Annan calls for 'climate justice' on Climate Change  Ken Garen
 Jun 24, 2008 16:40 PDT

Former UN sec-gen Annan calls for 'climate justice'

Jun 24 07:44 AM US/Eastern

NASA's Hansen on Global Warming: Oil Execs Are Guilty of Crimes Against
Humanity

Former UN secretary general Kofi Annan on Tuesday called for 'climate
justice', saying that it was polluters who should pay for the effects of
climate change, and not the poorest and most vulnerable.

He said funding should be made available to help disadvantaged communities
adapt to the effects of global warming as he urged for the international
community to focus on adaptation measures.

"We must have climate justice. As an international community, we must
recognise that the polluter must pay and not the poor and vulnerable," said
Annan at the first high-level meeting of his new humanitarian forum.

During the two-day conference, the Global Humanitarian Forum brings together
luminaries from the worlds of politics, business, diplomacy and development
to discuss how best to adapt to climate change -- the issue that Annan has
called "one of the most significant humanitarian challenges of our time".

Annan noted that communities needed to be "empowered" with the knowledge and
tools to deal with the worst effects of climate change.

"We cannot allow the extra cost of adapting to climate change to be siphoned
off from the ongoing poverty challenge. We should act immediately to provide
them with additional funding and appropriate technical assistance," he said.

Such assistance included providing technologies on weather warnings;
supplying farmers with seeds and fertilizers that were adapted to the
changing climate, and ensuring that families had insurance for their homes.

Copyright AFP 2008

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080624114449.9wjckc1h&show_article=1